How good was our D-Line under Quinn?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
How good was our D-Line under Quinn?
Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm
  • I didnt really keep up with the Hawks from 09-11 for personal reasons (I didnt think they were playoff ready) so i didnt really watch many of there games and its even harder to watch there games when you live in Texas. All they show here are the Cowboy games.

So my question was, when did Quinn coach our D-line, how good were they, and what different personnel did they use back then compared to what personnel he will get this time around?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Re: How good was our D-Line under Quinn?
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm
  • Not sure, but he had one of the best D-Lines in college football. Great against the run, and at getting to the passer.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm
  • It was probably the best unit of a shitty defense.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 pm
  • They were pretty solid.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:38 pm
  • That was when the D started to turn around, and it started with our D-line. Quinn is a solid coach, and I was seriously bummed when he left.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm
  • 28 sacks as a team in 2009. Patrick Kerney was our #1 PR with 5 sacks on the year.
    37 sacks as a team in 2010. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks on the year. Raheem Brock was #2 with 9.
    33 sacks as a team in 2011. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks. No one else had more than 4.

Dang...we only had 36 sacks in 2012. Not much improvement. By comparison, the 2005 team had 47 sacks on the year.

#1 team in the NFL this year had 52 sacks on the year.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm
  • Quinn wasn't exactly working with superstars. He was getting good production out of guys that were overlooked elsewhere or assumed to be done. He's a good coach.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm
  • Fox0r wrote:28 sacks as a team in 2009. Patrick Kerney was our #1 PR with 5 sacks on the year.
    37 sacks as a team in 2010. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks on the year. Raheem Brock was #2 with 9.
    33 sacks as a team in 2011. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks. No one else had more than 4.

Dang...we only had 36 sacks in 2012. Not much improvement. By comparison, the 2005 team had 47 sacks on the year.

#1 team in the NFL this year had 52 sacks on the year.

The secondary in 2009 and 2010 wasn't nearly as good as it is now, though. I doubt very many of those sacks were coverage sacks.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm
  • How scary could this team be, if it had a pass rush? How good could this team be, if it was much improved on 3rd and long?
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm
  • With Quinn he took Clemons and made him a pass rusher, Brock had the best year of his career and at a elevated age as far as DE's are concerned, moved Red to be the run stuffing end. They guy has that ability to make guys better quickly. We drafted some guys since he left in Scruggs and Irvin that played and were ok to respectable as rookies. Now with him back I wonder and if it is more the coensidence that the statement Pete made about pass rushers and his hiring if the biggest improvement we see will be there once again. It will be scary indeed if QB's are having to hurry and throw a ball up for grabs with our secondary routinely.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:With Quinn he took Clemons and made him a pass rusher, Brock had the best year of his career and at a elevated age as far as DE's are concerned, moved Red to be the run stuffing end. They guy has that ability to make guys better quickly. We drafted some guys since he left in Scruggs and Irvin that played and were ok to respectable as rookies. Now with him back I wonder and if it is more the coensidence that the statement Pete made about pass rushers and his hiring if the biggest improvement we see will be there once again. It will be scary indeed if QB's are having to hurry and throw a ball up for grabs with our secondary routinely.

Dang, it's posts like this that make me salivate about next season.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 am
  • gw232 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:With Quinn he took Clemons and made him a pass rusher, Brock had the best year of his career and at a elevated age as far as DE's are concerned, moved Red to be the run stuffing end. They guy has that ability to make guys better quickly. We drafted some guys since he left in Scruggs and Irvin that played and were ok to respectable as rookies. Now with him back I wonder and if it is more the coensidence that the statement Pete made about pass rushers and his hiring if the biggest improvement we see will be there once again. It will be scary indeed if QB's are having to hurry and throw a ball up for grabs with our secondary routinely.

Dang, it's posts like this that make me salivate about next season.

'Slurp!'
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 am
  • In addition to the magic Quinn worked in 2010 (Clemons, Brock, Bryant, etc), he also brought in Michael Bennett as a UDFA after the 2009 draft. Unfortunately, Mora/Ruskell weren't smart enough to keep Bennett and he became a star for Tampa. Bennett is scheduled to be a free agent in March.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 am
  • I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett back in Seattle, he might have a hefty price tag though.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 am
  • Who's left from the line that Quinn worked with? I know Red, Clem and Mebane were here then, but is there any others left from that group that I'm missing?
    canfan
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:34 am
  • I was hoping for more from Irvin this year frankly. I know it was probably unrealistic to bring the kid in his rookie Season with such high expectations, but isn’t that why we spent the pick? IMO he needs to bulk up a little bit. We need a book end for a healthy Clemons! That will take care of the edges and then we can focus on getting Red healthy or bringing in some new blood to compete for that position. With Mebane and either Red or a similar sized run stopper next door then you can really concentrate on the pass rush.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 am
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:I was hoping for more from Irvin this year frankly. IMO he needs to bulk up a little bit.

We said that about Tatupu as well and how did that turn out?

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information