Bevell signs extension to stay Hawks OC

HansGruber

Reaction score
Excellent news. The offense was carrying the team for the last half of the season, so it's good to see Bevell stay. If we were going to keep one coordinator, definitely prefer to keep Bevell.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
kearly":3njfxdb7 said:
I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

Sure, Wilson made Bevell and not the other way around, but I'm fine with that. At the end of the day Bevell may not be the greatest OC in the game, but he fits Wilson as well as anyone would. If Andy Reid or Jon Gruden came in to run our offense, I don't think it would be a whole lot better, simply because Wilson and Bevell seem to have developed chemistry working together.

Very well said Kearly, the chemistry that Bevell and Russell have developed really helped this offense grow as the year went along.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pleeeease Bevell, grow a pair in the first half of games in 2013! You're clearly capable of it as evidenced by your 2nd-half play-calling.

shawnsim

Reaction score
kearly":3c1lwm3g said:
I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

Sure, Wilson made Bevell and not the other way around, but I'm fine with that. At the end of the day Bevell may not be the greatest OC in the game, but he fits Wilson as well as anyone would. If Andy Reid or Jon Gruden came in to run our offense, I don't think it would be a whole lot better, simply because Wilson and Bevell seem to have developed chemistry working together.

+1 Except the 4th and one against Atlanta.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
shawnsim":ks13l95e said:
kearly":ks13l95e said:

why is that considered a bad call, I want to know? Afterall that play worked like clockwork throughout the season. We ran it maybe a half dozen times and EVERY TIME it got a first down in the regular season. So why exactly was it a bad call? Because it didn't work? If that's the only argument than it's very weak indeed.

I don't know if you caught this but on the 3rd and 1 A) PC was trying to call a timeout. 2) it was reported that the Seahawks OL missed a check at the LOS on that play, because of the noise. Those missed details probably cost us the 1st down.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Well right at the end of the season I do recall Wilson saying he liked Bevell and the chemistry they had been developing.

see it as you will

shawnsim

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1msxv4vp said:
shawnsim":1msxv4vp said:
kearly":1msxv4vp said:

why is that considered a bad call, I want to know? Afterall that play worked like clockwork throughout the season. We ran it maybe a half dozen times and EVERY TIME it got a first down in the regular season. So why exactly was it a bad call? Because it didn't work? If that's the only argument than it's very weak indeed.

I don't know if you caught this but on the 3rd and 1 A) PC was trying to call a timeout. 2) it was reported that the Seahawks OL missed a check at the LOS on that play, because of the noise. Those missed details probably cost us the 1st down.

Simply because we should have gone for the points. We should have gone for momentum. We blew it and lost by a field goal. Not too hard to understand.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Just surprised that Bevell is the one the Seahawks fought to keep here. See ya Gus!

Shock2k

Reaction score
Bevell..... The greatest 2nd half playoff coach in the league. Sorry it's still just to raw for me. I will like him next year when we are 8-0.

Reaction score
This bodes well for continued growth of #3 for sure! Was iistening to Golden Tate on the radio today and he was all about working with the OC and Wilson off season!

The Outfield

Reaction score
I am very happy about this. I want to keep the rhythm we had going with the offense at the end of the season.

Wilson even said on Brock and Salk today that he wanted to keep learning from Bevell in the offseason.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Shit. Busy day!

This is great news. Bevel has been maturing very nicely as a playcaller since we brought him in last year. Wasn't too sure about all the vanilla last year and early this year, but I don't think i had a single complaint about anything the did in the second half of this past season. The consistency with this OC will be good for Rusty too.

I love the way this team operates.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Great move. Questionable play calls or not, it takes a real OC to adapt to a unique QB like Wilson. Get him some more weapons and let's see what Bevell can do.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Love the move. I have been a big Bevell supporter.

I think he has designed a passing game that has got the most out of the receiving crew that is fairly average and *gasp* Russell Wilson. He never asked him to do too much and designed an entire offense around his strengths rather than trying to pigeon-hole him into a system. He certainly never ran the read-option extensively before this year so kudos to him for being able to install it and make it work with a high level of efficiency.

I am excited to see some continuity on the offensive side of the ball as that became out strength down the stretch.

Latest posts