Is Russell Wilson a role model?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Is Russell Wilson a role model?
Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:28 pm
  • Just shack this thread and get it over with.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 pm
  • I'm used to be agnostic. I mean, who are we to definitively say there is or isn't a higher being?

Then midway through his year at Wisconsin, I learned of Russell Wilson. As the months went by, I began to see the light. Then the prophet Gruden spoke of his greatness, and I was sold. Wilson IS a higher being, and those who do not believe in Wilsonism, will flounder in loserdom.

Russell 3:12 - "For whosoever believeth in Wilson, shall have ever lasting opportunities to be victorious. Go Hawks!"

:3-1:
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:49 pm
  • Bipolar wrote:I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

it is called a personal preference.

big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial, religeous or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Bipolar wrote:I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial, religeous or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I neither hate him nor do I not tolerate him. I just don't agree with him philosophically and therefore do not consider him a great role model.

you don't even know me.

(if it makes you feel better, there are very very few athletes that I would consider being a role model to begin with)
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 am
  • Russell Wilson is a role model. Regardless of whether or not you believe that an athlete qualifies as an acceptable role model... he just is. I have been a sports fan all of my life, and never looked at an athlete as a role model. They are, for all intents and purposes, entertainers. Russell is different. I'm 32 years old and I now have an athlete role model, because he has exceptional qualities (work ethic, perseverance, leadership, determination, etc) that are applicable to my life.

My 7 year old son isn't into sports that much. He and I were watching one of the pregame shows (ESPN I think) a couple weeks ago, and they had a whole segment on Russell. When it was over, my son turned to me and said, "I want a #3 jersey, I really like that guy." As a parent, I cannot think of another person (other than myself) that I would want my son to have as a role model. From everything I've read and seen, athletism aside, Russell Wilson personifies everything that I would want my son to be. I never thought I think that about a 24 year old athlete as an acceptable role model. Rationally, I just didn't think that way.
    njh
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 pm
  • Bipolar wrote:He also happens to be a religious fanatic (not any different from Tim Tebow) and his constant bible references make him sound like a total douche.

other than that, he is a great role model for everyone.

the problem with athletes in general is that they are dumb as a rock. in case of RW, of course, you can see that this is obviously not the case.

I respect that you don't agree with him philosophically, but to call someone a total douche for referencing their religious text makes you the douche.
    ceej22
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:10 pm
  • Bipolar wrote:He also happens to be a religious fanatic (not any different from Tim Tebow) and his constant bible references make him sound like a total douche.

other than that, he is a great role model for everyone.

the problem with athletes in general is that they are dumb as a rock. in case of RW, of course, you can see that this is obviously not the case.

Hey Bipolar,

My Wife normally posts here, but I could not stand by and not say anything.

What does it feel like to spout hatred with your diatribe?
    This thread was about if Russell Wilson would make a good role model, not about your utter disregard for other people's right to what they believe.
    This shows an absolute lack of respect to Russell Wilson and to everyone else here.
    Nobody here really gives a damn how much you hate people that believe differently than you.
    If you dont like what he posts on his Twitter, then don't read it.
    I mean really, it's like a person that says that he hurts his hand every time he hits it with a hammer. STOP hitting it with the hammer!!
    If you dont like it stop reading.
    We all do not need to read through your trash talk of one of our players.
    If you want to talk about how much you hate people of religion, there is a forum for that, The Politics, War, and Religion forum.
    But in this forum, I think we would all agree that we don't want your hate spewing here.

By the way, I think Russell Wilson is an excellent role model not only in sports but in determination, in not listening to all of the doubters, in work ethic, and yes in his beliefs. Even if I didn't agree with them, he still sticks to his own convictions.
    My kids could learn a lot from him.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Bipolar wrote:I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\

Definition of BIGOT

:P
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:55 pm
  • As much as some of us don't want to think about it as true, as long as Wilson's in the public's eye, homies a role model.

Now if kids choose to be like him is totally up to their parents doing their jobs, same thing as it pertains to music and other media.

On the issue of Bipolar, weren't you the same dude that said you'd be mad if Wilson was leaving game film notes in your locker? all while having a Flynn's (and others) Packers jerseys in his sig?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 pm
  • Wilson would appear to have an unwavering purpose of getting the best out of himself and those he's associated with. His religious beliefs may play a part in that but his purpose is hardly limited to the devout. Why Bipolar is throwing this baby out with the bathwater in regards to the admirable qualities Wilson has been showing, I do not know. But who knows, maybe what we're disagreeing about is just a miscommunication over what each person is defining a "role-model" as.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm
  • Bipolar wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:I'm sorry but anyone who thinks this guy EVER sounds like a Douche clearly is on crack.

well, you have to judge the content of his communication, not what and how he does it in front of the camers.

let's face it, Russell Wilson is smart, since he completed a bacherlors in 3 years (although in Communications, and from a crappy school) and has a masters degree in leadership from UW Madison (for a football player? amazing!). its not as impressive as Donald Driver, but still pretty damn good overall.

these credentials alone by definition imply that the person:

a) knows how to talk and
    b) knows how to lead

what you see in front of the cameras is all great, but what I read on twitter is whole another story.
    his major flaw, in my opinion, is that he is deeply religious. the good news is that he is not as vomit-inducing as Tebow, who talks like a child, but I can still sense naivite and close-mindedness from a mile away.

again, my personal opinion and you are free to disagree with me. cheers!

Interesting... I sense naivete and close-mindedness from a mile away as well. But it isn't from Russ's twitter feed.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm
  • No, but he may get there
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Rookie

Previous

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 pm