Best Seahawks team ever?

JesterHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":29flhl06 said:
Leroy Hill said this team is at least a touchdown better then the 2005 team. I trust his opinion.

Silent screaming while clutching at my ears. Roland understands.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
warden":1su76qn8 said:
1984 team was pretty damn good. Played in an extremely tough division.
The Broncos where 13 and 3 ,
the Raiders were 11 and 5 plus Superbowl champs
I believe the other two team finished 500 or better
Even playing in such a tough division we finished 12 and 4

Our defense that year had 64 TOs, yes 64 turnovers

And they had all this success with Warner on IR. Imagine if he was healthy

Oh yes, 1984, the year I became a Seahawk fan after watching them shut out the Chargers on Monday Night Football. Man that team was fun to watch.

seabowl

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1s6e68yo said:
The 1986 team was the best Hawks team in my view. I stand by that. Look at the roster from top to bottom. Conservative coaching in the last 4 weeks cost them a Superbowl. They were the best team in the league at a time when the league was very tough from top to bottom. It was prior to the next expansion, and the Hawks beat the Giants in a slugfest and were clearly a stronger defensive team. Dave Krieg's hot and cold nature and Knox's penchant for establishing the run game with 3 or 4 minutes left were the hard part. But that team was great. Better than 2005 in my view, and if they had been in the NFC would have rolled to a Superbowl win.

The 86 team would have won the bowl. Team was hitting on all cylinders by years end. If I recall they destroyed the Broncos the last game of the year. I also remember the Giants game which we won too. We beat both SB teams.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Yes, I think the Giants game was a slugfest. Like 13-10 or something, and the Broncos game was an absolute thrashing. The Hawks were clearly the better team against the Giants though, even though it was a close game. I wish I felt like looking up that season, but I'm just burned out. That season was a real downer at the end.

The teams in the next few seasons were also good. We got screwed in Houston on a clear INT by Fredd Young that would have sealed the deal, but even on replay the refs said "inconclusive". I've not supported NFL referees since. Every time they threaten strike I hope they do so and get fired and the whole system gets replaced, and it all started on that day in Houston in 87 or 88. It was criminal. That was a really good defensive team.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
DVOA says this years team is better...
And leeeeroy........ at least a touchdown better.
that's 2.... and my opinion is 3... so this is done.. lock it up.

seabowl

Reaction score
SharkHawk":15twpyuc said:
Yes, I think the Giants game was a slugfest. Like 13-10 or something, and the Broncos game was an absolute thrashing. The Hawks were clearly the better team against the Giants though, even though it was a close game. I wish I felt like looking up that season, but I'm just burned out. That season was a real downer at the end.

The teams in the next few seasons were also good. We got screwed in Houston on a clear INT by Fredd Young that would have sealed the deal, but even on replay the refs said "inconclusive". I've not supported NFL referees since. Every time they threaten strike I hope they do so and get fired and the whole system gets replaced, and it all started on that day in Houston in 87 or 88. It was criminal. That was a really good defensive team.

Giant game was 17-12

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Cool, and it wasn't even that close. We were clearly the vastly superior team.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Best? Don't know.

Most resilient? I think that's very likely. The 2012 team never panicked.

Zowert

Reaction score
I think this team was close to the 2005 squad. This conversation would be different if the Seahawks defense would've stopped the Falcons from charging up the field to kick a 49 yard field goal in less than 30 seconds. Or if by some miracle Russell Wilson's Hail Mary pass with a couple seconds left in the game was caught by Golden Tate, haha...

Anyway.. I think the 2013 Seattle Seahawks has the potential to be the best in franchise history. So far. There is the potential for many great seasons in the near future as well. We only have a few holes to fill. Pass Rush, a franchise receiver and then shore up the offensive line. Oh and we need a defensive coordinator.

Next season, they're going to give Russell Wilson the keys to the offense from day one. Instead of limiting him half the season like they did in 2012. Russ will get most of the snaps in the preseason, giving our offense 4 games to 'click' before they embark on the regular season.

If we have a really good draft this off-season. The Seahawks can OWN the National Football League. No doubt in my mind.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Great post and glad to see some old timers giving love to the 1984 and 1986 Seahawks. For those of you who are interested, here's a great article about the 1986 team by Clare Farnsworth.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... a2e1241750

Personally, I would have to go with the 2005 team as the best. But it could very easily have been the 1984 Seahawks. That team had an incredible defense and Dave Krieg had 3,671 yards and 32 TDs. Unfortunately Krieg also had 24 int., 11 fumbles, and was sacked 42 times, primarily because the team had no running game. The sad thing is running the ball should have been a strength for this team, but Curt Warner tore up his knee in the first game of the season. The previous year (his rookie year) Warner lead the AFC in rushing with 1,449 yards. He also had 14 TDs and 42 catches. With Warner in 1983 the team averaged 132 yards a game rushing. Without him in 1984 it was 103 yards a game. This team lost one of its best (maybe the best) offensive player in the first half of the first game and still managed to go 12-4 while playing in the tough AFC west.

As for best offensive Seahawk team, hard to go against the 2005 team. Hasselbeck at QB and Alexander running behind a HOF left side.

Best defense, the 1984 team. That defense was fifth in points and sixth in yards. It had 38 int. and 25 FR. That's SIXTY-THREE total TOs. It had 55 sacks. It forced 4 or more TOs in 10 of the 16 games.

Sack totals for it's top 4 DLs (keep in mind this was a 3-4 team).
Jeff Bryant - 14.5
Jacob Green - 13.0
Joe Nash (the nose tackle) - 7.0 (and 82 tackles)
Mike Fanning (part time player) - 7.0

Here are the interception totals for the secondary.
Kenny Easley (IMHO should be in the HOF) - 10 with 2 TDs
Dave Brown - 8 with 2 TDs
John Harris - 6
Keith Simpson - 4 with 2 TDs.

I love the teams current defense, but the 1984 defense was lights out.

Hotchy

Reaction score
You can't compare teams, as football changes with time. An example is passing stats. In the '80s the Largent and other top Wrs around the league would catch 70-80 balls. Now, the tops guys are grabbing over 100.
That offense that Holmren ran in 2005 was awesome. Jones, Tobeck, and Hutch paved huge alleys for Alexander. Hasselbeck could pick any secondary apart with those WCO timing routes. He had an unbelievable sense with DJax.
84 would have been incredible if Warner didnt get hurt in the 1st game. The D was filled with playmakers, Knox was our best coach, and Krieg to Largent was unstoppable.
This year's team had a ton of swagger and passion at the end. I'd take Wilson in the clutch over anybody we've had.
Another really good team was(I forget the year) the year we had Moon as our QB. He got hurt in a rediculous rain storm in KC. He was throwing bombs all over everybody to Galloway and McKnight. waters was solid, and our D was pretty sick with Springs, Kennedy, darren Smith, etc. A very fast defense
Anyways, If I had to pick one team.....It'd be the 2013 team. looking forward to it.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Not only is this year's team the best Seahawk team ever, it is the best team in any sport since the beginning of time!! :les:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
As a whole, I think this is the best team ever. Not this Season, but as it applies to an era, yes.

The Holmgren era Seahawks really came on strong in 2003, they could beat anyone as that offense was a well-oiled machine, but the defense left a lot to be desired. Made up of aging veterans, there were many players that were at their peak. In 2004, that age and defense showed, costing the Hawks an early exit from the playoffs. The 2005 team was solid and dangerous. That would be the pinnacle of the Holmgren era Seahawks and it took Holmy 6 years to get them there.

The 2012 Hawks were with little weakness. Their downfall was experience more than anything and they still dominated their way through the 2nd half of the season. Built with youth, the 2012 team is really a stepping stone. Unlike the 2004 team, this team is not desperate. They do not need to sign a 40 year old Jerry Rice or aging DE. They have a lot of flexibility and developed over the season. In 2013, this is designed to hit the ground running. No training wheels for Wilson. He just simply needs to keep using what he knows and add a little seasoning to his game. This team will be strong for a long time and renewable.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
2012 is the most competitive team by far. Did we ever lose by more than 7 points this year?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1hfrhbzm said:
2012 is the most competitive team by far. Did we ever lose by more than 7 points this year?
What separates the 2012 team from the rest is Russell Wilson. The Seahawks have never had a QB with his physical skills and mental approach to the game. The closest is probably Hasselbeck, but Wilson is a much better athlete with a much better arm.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Warren Moon played for the Seahawks and is in the hall of fame. So I'm going to disagree with you heartily here. Warren had more physical skills than about 99% of QB's who have ever played the game, and his mental approach was terrific. Warren was a winner and flat out dominated at times. Anybody who saw him play in the CFL like I did saw a man who was so far ahead of his competition that it was embarrassing that he wasn't in the NFL. It was like Michael Jordan playing hoops against sixth graders. He was that good. Warren was a better NFL player than Matt Hasselbeck and had one of the best seasons for a Seahawk even when he was well past his prime and was a backup to John Friesz to start the year.

Warren was a better athlete than Hasselbeck, had a better arm, had a better career, and was a Seahawk. :)

Russell Wilson reminds me very much of Jim Zorn. Zorn played on a very run oriented team, but his early years were very very impressive. If he were surrounded by the talent that Russell is, then I think Zorn could have put up some really good numbers for the era. Remember, Zorn led the team to a winning record in their 3rd season, and that was in the days where they didn't have free agency, so you got other team's cast-offs and built through the draft. The team had very little talent and Zorny still led them to a winning record in the franchises infancy. That was nearly as impressive to me as what Russell did this year. Different era, I know... but Zorn was a darn good QB and one heck of a great athlete. He could run as well as Russ and could throw off of either foot with accuracy. Until he busted his leg he was a star and was also talked about as a "next Tarkenton". National media loved him and many people from around the country became Hawks fans because they enjoyed watching Zorn to Largent.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1f4bejtd said:
Warren Moon played for the Seahawks and is in the hall of fame. So I'm going to disagree with you heartily here. Warren had more physical skills than about 99% of QB's who have ever played the game, and his mental approach was terrific. Warren was a winner and flat out dominated at times. Anybody who saw him play in the CFL like I did saw a man who was so far ahead of his competition that it was embarrassing that he wasn't in the NFL. It was like Michael Jordan playing hoops against sixth graders. He was that good. Warren was a better NFL player than Matt Hasselbeck and had one of the best seasons for a Seahawk even when he was well past his prime and was a backup to John Friesz to start the year.

Warren was a better athlete than Hasselbeck, had a better arm, had a better career, and was a Seahawk. :)

Russell Wilson reminds me very much of Jim Zorn. Zorn played on a very run oriented team, but his early years were very very impressive. If he were surrounded by the talent that Russell is, then I think Zorn could have put up some really good numbers for the era. Remember, Zorn led the team to a winning record in their 3rd season, and that was in the days where they didn't have free agency, so you got other team's cast-offs and built through the draft. The team had very little talent and Zorny still led them to a winning record in the franchises infancy. That was nearly as impressive to me as what Russell did this year. Different era, I know... but Zorn was a darn good QB and one heck of a great athlete. He could run as well as Russ and could throw off of either foot with accuracy. Until he busted his leg he was a star and was also talked about as a "next Tarkenton". National media loved him and many people from around the country became Hawks fans because they enjoyed watching Zorn to Largent.

I agree with you about Moon, but I was only considering QBs who spent the majority of their career in Seattle (so essentially Zorn, Krieg, and Hasselbeck). As for Zorn, I loved watching him play. In the early years Zorn to Largent was the reason to turn on the TV and watch the Seahawks. Well, that and to see what nutty fake field goal they would try that week (Efren Herrera is still one of my all time favorite Hawks). However, I would have to put Wilson ahead of him in terms of physical ability. Wilson is a better athlete with a better arm. Just my opinion.

This doesn't mean I don't respect Zorn and what he accomplished. Winning the offensive ROY award on an expansion team is astonishing. I still think Zorn and Largent should have been added to the Ring of Honor together. Zorn (and Largent) made a bad expansion team interesting and relevant.