Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

canfan

Reaction score
CANHawk":2a5obi2j said:
Hasselbeck":2a5obi2j said:
Love this move, now hopefully Bevell stays and we can focus on FA and the draft

Yeah, as thrilled as I am about the Dan Quinn signing, I really don't want to see Bevell go anywhere. I think the continuity in the coaching staff next year will be important for the offense and for Wilson.

Is Bevell even in play anywhere now that Trestman is in Chicago?

Arizona?

The Outfield

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":m0mbwr0q said:
If he hangs around a couple years - this could pay serious dividends.

Yeah, hopefully he's not here just one year then leaves for head coach....

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think this is an excellent move for continuity and he has done a fine job

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
Quinn DanjpgpagespeedceuK mRl5XS6 zps474e675e

Coaching Experience

2011-12

Florida (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)

2009-10

Seattle Seahawks (Defensive Line)

2007-08

New York Jets (Defensive Line)

2005-06

Miami Dolphins (Defensive Line)

2003-04

San Francisco 49ers (Defensive Line)

2001-02

San Francisco 49ers (Defensive Quality Control)

Hofstra (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)

1996-99

Hofstra (Defensive Line)

Virginia Military Institute (Defensive Line)

William & Mary (Defensive Line)

Coaching Accomplishments

Has 18 years of coaching experience, including 10 seasons in the NFL and eight as an NFL defensive line coach.
In 2011, led a Gator defense that ranked eighth nationally in total defense (299.5 yards per game), seventh in passing defense (166.8 yards per game) and second in third-down defense (27.12 percent).
Prior to his first season in Gainesville, Quinn spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks as defensive line coach and has spent eight NFL seasons as a defensive line coach, including stints with the New York Jets (2007-08), Miami Dolphins (2005-06) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04). He began his NFL career as a defensive quality control coach for the 49ers from 2001-02 before being promoted to defensive line coach.
Helped four different players reach double-digits in sacks in a single season.
Seven of his 10 seasons in the NFL saw opponents average less than one rushing touchdown per game, including three seasons of 10 or less total.
In 2010, the Seattle Seahawks finished third in the NFC in red zone touchdown defense, allowing just 46.2 percent.
Coached Chris Clemons to a career-high 11 sacks in 2010 in Clemons’ first season as a full-time starter, including four multi-sack games, while Raheem Brock tallied nine sacks.
Helped the Seahawks to the 2010 NFC West crown and knocked off the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in the opening round of the playoffs.
Quinn’s 2008 Jets defense ranked fifth in the NFL in yards per carry (3.7), seventh in sacks (41) and ninth in rushing yards per game (94.9). The Jets were also sixth in the AFC in yards per play (5.2) and third-down efficiency (.386).
The 2006 Dolphins totaled 47 sacks, third in the NFL. That season, Jason Taylor finished fourth in the NFL with 13.5 sacks under Quinn’s guidance.
Quinn’s 2006 Miami team also ranked third in the NFL in yards per play (4.6), fourth in total defense (289.1) and fifth in rushing yards per attempt (3.5).
In 2005, Quinn helped the Dolphins rank first in the AFC and second in the NFL with 49 sacks. Miami also finished third in the AFC in yards per play (4.7) and fourth in yards per carry (3.7).
The 49ers ranked fifth in the NFC in 2004 with 4.0 yards per carry allowed.
As a defensive assistant with San Francisco in 2002, linebacker Andre Carter tied for fourth in the NFL with 12.5 sacks.
Quinn began his coaching career as defensive line coach with William & Mary in 1994, followed by a season with the Virginia Military Institute in 1995. He held the same position with Hofstra for four seasons before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2000.
He and his wife, Stacey, established the Quinn’s Corps Program in 2004 to help children and families in need.

Prominent Players Coached

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS:

DE CHRIS CLEMONS – Recorded a career-high 11.0 sacks in 2010 which tied him for 10th in the NFL, along with 49 tackles (33 solo) and one forced fumble in the most productive season of his career.
DE PATRICK KERNEY – Coached the two-time Pro Bowler in the last season of his 11-year career, as Kerney played 15 games and picked up five sacks.
NEW YORK JETS:

DE SHAUN ELLIS – Collected 60 tackles in 2008—the 10th most by a defensive lineman in the NFL—and was tied for 17th in sacks with 8.0. In his career, he has totaled 499 tackles, 72.5 sacks and has forced 12 fumbles.
DT KRIS JENKINS – Earned 2008 Pro Bowl honors, the fourth time in his career he received the recognition and second-team AP All-Pro accolades after posting 53 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Also won his first career AFC Defensive Player of the Week award with 1.5 sacks, three hurries and three tackles in the Nov. 2 win over Buffalo.
MIAMI DOLPHINS:

DE KEVIN CARTER – Played both of his seasons with Miami under Quinn, starting all 32 games and tallying 99 tackles, 11.5 sacks, four passes defensed, three fumble recoveries and a forced fumble during that time.
DE JASON TAYLOR – During Quinn’s two-year tenure with Miami, Taylor ranked third in the NFL with 25.5 sacks, led the league in forced fumbles with 13, and scored three defensive touchdowns (two interception returns, one fumble return) en route to earning Pro Bowl berths in 2005 and 2006 and the AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year award in 2006.
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS:

DT BRYANT YOUNG – Made the final two Pro Bowls of his career under the tutelage of Quinn in the 2001 and 2002 seasons.
NFL Players (Round Drafted)

TBD

Playing Career

Quinn was a four-year letterwinner and two-time co-captain at Salisbury (Md.) State as a defensive lineman, where he recorded 139 tackles and eight tackles for loss. He also lettered in track and held the school record in the hammer throw at the time of his departure. Salisbury State inducted Quinn into its Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005.

Personal Information

Birth date: Sept. 11, 1970
Hometown: Morristown, N.J.
Education: 1994 – Bachelor’s Degree from Salisbury State
Family: Married to Stacey
NFL Playoff Finishes

2001: Wild Card (San Francisco)
2002: Divisional Round (San Francisco)
2010: Divisional Round (Seattle)
FCS Championship Finishes

1997: FCS Championship – First Round (Hofstra)
1999: FCS Championship – Quarterfinals (Hofstra)
2000: FCS Championship – Quarterfinals (Hofstra)
Bowl Games as a Coach

2012: Gator

pinksheets

Reaction score
casey-bradley.jpg

120718-wash-480.jpg

090112quinn420.jpg

Season_4_-_Walt.jpg

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z2ixeutf said:
You're right, which is why they take Red out and put Irvin in during passing downs.

I don't like our line being dependent on rotation like that. It telegraphs our intentions when we sub Red out, and most teams are perfectly capable of (and did a lot of) passing when Red was in there. It's also a weak situation against any kind of option play.

We really just need some well-rounded studs along the D-line like Mebane, but I realize those don't grow on trees. I figure the specialization is just a stopgap measure until we do find some, or at least I hope so.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I like this move, least amount of potential harm by going with Dan. My only concern is that now Gus is gonna try and poach a bunch of assistant coaches from our staff like Richards.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28ln7ua9 said:
Sgt. Largent":28ln7ua9 said:
You're right, which is why they take Red out and put Irvin in during passing downs.

I don't like our line being dependent on rotation like that. It telegraphs our intentions when we sub Red out, and most teams are perfectly capable of (and did a lot of) passing when Red was in there. It's also a weak situation against any kind of option play.

We really just need some well-rounded studs along the D-line like Mebane, but I realize those don't grow on trees. I figure the specialization is just a stopgap measure until we do find some, or at least I hope so.

I actually disagree. Defensive line is the one group on the field where staying fresh is more important than continuity. The truth is - putting a fresh player in to rush the passer against a gassed offensive lineman who was just wrestling a bear like Bryant puts us in an advantageous position. Moreover, when that player is significantly different and has a superior rushing skill set - it really tests the ability of the offensive linemen. Having 9-10 defensive linemen also give us great flexibility to plan for different offenses.

I would also welcome more draws on 3rd and 9 to try and beat our smaller, but faster, defensive line. Of course no one would do that so the match-up point is fairly moot.

I think that our biggest issue was collapsing the pocket regularly on passing downs. Mebane gets worn down and Jones was injured. Other than those two our depth was sorely lacking with regards to inside rush. also, I wish that Wright would be more of a factor in the pass rush.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3qjjw20c said:
I actually disagree. Defensive line is the one group on the field where staying fresh is more important than continuity. The truth is - putting a fresh player in to rush the passer against a gassed offensive lineman who was just wrestling a bear like Bryant puts us in an advantageous position. Moreover, when that player is significantly different and has a superior rushing skill set - it really tests the ability of the offensive linemen. Having 9-10 defensive linemen also give us great flexibility to plan for different offenses.

I would also welcome more draws on 3rd and 9 to try and beat our smaller, but faster, defensive line. Of course no one would do that so the match-up point is fairly moot.

I think that our biggest issue was collapsing the pocket regularly on passing downs. Mebane gets worn down and Jones was injured. Other than those two our depth was sorely lacking with regards to inside rush. also, I wish that Wright would be more of a factor in the pass rush.

Rotation to keep fresh is different than rotation to scream "we're rushing the passer and can't do anything but stop the run from this formation". I think your ideas are sound in theory, but they sure didn't happen on the field. No offensive tackle this year looked particularly tested by Irvin once they figured him out. Our pass rush was stonewalled often even when Jason Jones was in. He isn't the answer. I hoped he was, but I was wrong.

If I'm an OC against Seattle, this D-line is easy on 3rd downs. I draw up plays in space or option plays to exploit Red's slowness (I shudder to think how that first game would have gone against a healthy RG3, he'd have sprinted to the right all day). I audible to some on 3rd-and-short when I see Irvin coming in. I run more vertical routes with Red in, because the QB will have time. I don't even worry about LB's in coverage, nor do I have to worry about leaving my RB's in to pass-protect against Irvin - if I have reliable receivers, and I will in the playoffs, then I'll be fine as long as my QB is still standing.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
gw232":asdq3cme said:
Hopefully Quinn won't be the type to plan interviews the day before playoff games.

Yeah... I bet that 90 minutes spent with the Eagles talking casually before the game was a real killer.

People need to get over this. SUCH a none issue.

chris98251

Reaction score
Why I always wondered why we didn't go with Johnson more in the secondary and slip Red inside and have Hill pass rush. He's good at it or was, one of the attributes he had when he came here, if not him Wright or someone . Being able to move him inside outside occationally with a extra DB and Kam moving to a LB roll would make us less predictable as far as personnel and alignments.

I know Red was less effective inside his rookie year, but that was with Mora and he was injured as well. On a occtional down situation where he just has to push or minimally take up space and blockers I would think that would be a easy task for him.

hawkmanj

Reaction score
Great hire. He's familiar with Pete and wanted to come back!

I think one of the main reasons he left was to be a coordinator...

I think this will make for a smooth transition.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
One of the reason I love this hire is with his exposure to the read option in college. He has experience on how to defend it and based on his record, it seems like he did a good job. I was freaking out when I heard names like Lovie, Rob Ryan and Marinelli. They're great coaches, don't get me wrong, but they are so arrogant in their approaches it leaves no room for adjustments. When the Bears faced SF with Krapernick, they had no answer to the read option and didn't make adjustments. When the Hawks began running the read option in 4th quarter, they again didn't make the adjustments. With the same token, look at Capers in GB. Absolutely murdered by SF. These guys were great coordinators, but it's a young man's league now. They are so dead set in their approach that it is putting their team's at a disadvantage. Atleast Quinn isn't that. Which is why I'm so pumped that he's our new DC rather than the old farts that are available.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12w5vrrs said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":12w5vrrs said:

Rotation to keep fresh is different than rotation to scream "we're rushing the passer and can't do anything but stop the run from this formation". I think your ideas are sound in theory, but they sure didn't happen on the field. No offensive tackle this year looked particularly tested by Irvin once they figured him out. Our pass rush was stonewalled often even when Jason Jones was in. He isn't the answer. I hoped he was, but I was wrong.

If I'm an OC against Seattle, this D-line is easy on 3rd downs. I draw up plays in space or option plays to exploit Red's slowness (I shudder to think how that first game would have gone against a healthy RG3, he'd have sprinted to the right all day). I audible to some on 3rd-and-short when I see Irvin coming in. I run more vertical routes with Red in, because the QB will have time. I don't even worry about LB's in coverage, nor do I have to worry about leaving my RB's in to pass-protect against Irvin - if I have reliable receivers, and I will in the playoffs, then I'll be fine as long as my QB is still standing.

Yes and no.

On 1st down - our formation is basically a 3-4. Bryant plays with inside leverage and Wright plays the SLB outside leverage on the line. It isn't as if QBs throw all day on the 3-4. I think rushing K.J. Wright more - especially if backs are in the back field blocking - would negate much of the disadvantage of Bryant in there. But I remind you that 3-4 teams rush with 3 slower players and one fast one often - so I don't see as much of a disadvantage as you.

On 3rd down (at least 3rd and long-ish) our formation changes to a wide 4-3 - like the Eagles played much of last year with the two ends - in 9 techniques. They basically rush the passer from wider out. This leaves the two tackles on an island which is why we had such trouble collapsing the pocket. This is where they need to improve.

Now where this breaks down and where your point is well taken is on the 3rd and 4. What do we do? If we put our rushing squad in the game - and they don't get there - QB lanes will be wide open to run. We keep Red in there - we basically have to blitz or give the QB all day.

So overall - there is definitely some tweaking but I don't think the answer is to do away with a good defensive line rotation - I think it is simply to get more talent in the defensive line. Especially at tackle.

misfit

Reaction score
Ray Horton just got let go in AZ. Can we change our mind?!?

mikeak

Reaction score
Hmm should we have waited for Horton instead?

EDIT: misfit didn't see you post.

Horton just scouted our division and played against them. On the negative side supposedly he blew up for not being HC so he woul have been one and done...