Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
CANHawk":qnb062nq said:
Hasselbeck":qnb062nq said:
Love this move, now hopefully Bevell stays and we can focus on FA and the draft

Yeah, as thrilled as I am about the Dan Quinn signing, I really don't want to see Bevell go anywhere. I think the continuity in the coaching staff next year will be important for the offense and for Wilson.

Is Bevell even in play anywhere now that Trestman is in Chicago?

Arizona might be the last possibility. I think everywhere else has their coach now. I can definitely see Arizona making a big play for Roman after the SF season ends, though. That's what I'd do if I were them. Weaken your opponent to strengthen yourself. (Same goes for Seattle, too, but Roman's a hotter commodity, IMO.)

Edit: Jay Gruden is another Arizona suitor.

BASF

Reaction score
Strengthening the Seahawks and hurting the Florida Gators! This has got to be my favorite transaction we have ever made. This! This makes up for giving up the rights to Tony Dorsett for me.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
CANHawk":2llv2k3p said:
Sarlacc83":2llv2k3p said:
CodeWarrior":2llv2k3p said:
In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

Why would it faze the other guys? They worked with Quinn in 2011 (fulfilling the promote from within, albeit a year late) and they saw what he did at Florida as DC. I bet they're stoked to get him back. I know I am. (And I'm pretty astonished that it happened so soon, actually.)

Nobody in house was qualified to be promoted to DC. Rocky Seto? Kris Richard? Please... Probably the only one even qualified was Todd Wash, but with the state of the D-line last year I don't think he deserved it. Nope, Dan is the absolute best choice for DC and I could give a rip if the other guys are butthurt. Just pushes them to do better so they get the job if/when Dan gets his own HC opportunity.

These are all good points, maybe I'm just a little touchy following what I regard as the "Gus Bradley Fiasco." I have always liked Gus in both a personal and professional capacity and don't want to condemn him for leaving the Hawks, but I'm not sure what to make of a coordinator interviewing for HC spots the day(s) leading up to a playoff game. I can't say ALL these guys are out for themselves first and foremost, regarding any role other than HC as a stepping stone, but I'm not sure I can categorize Bradley's acceptance of the Jacksonville HC job after being spurned by Philly as anything but that. I don't like how the situation was handled.

Based on the merits of the individuals, I agree that Quinn is the best choice. Just sayin' that in an IDEAL scenario we would have promoted from within in order to maximize both the abilities of the defense and the reputation of the organization. I will say that the prospect of Ken Norton Jr. or Kris Richard being made DC AND calling the plays would have me extremely nervous. Just wondering how long those guys will be happy being positon coaches. The lifetime position coaches I can name are predominately on the OL, but that doesn't mean they can't be found at other spots, I just can't name any.

I'll will say that I think Bradley is set up to fail in Jacksonville. The GM was put in place first, who then brought in Gus. Borrowing from the Big Tuna: the new GM is buying the ingredients while Gus is expected to cook the dinner. All this is being done against the backdrop of what appears to be a meddling owner. We will know for sure once the Tebow situation plays out. I don't like the move for Gus and I don't think it will end well. For Gus' sake I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, enough of my pedantic rantings. I'm excited by Quinn's hiring!

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
BASF":11bi02sm said:
Strengthening the Seahawks and hurting the Florida Gators! This has got to be my favorite transaction we have ever made. This! This makes up for giving up the rights to Tony Dorsett for me.
What's your beef with Florida?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sturm":1kwpv66a said:
gw232":1kwpv66a said:
Man, Florida was in the top 15 for most defensive statistics.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... /team/1043

I don't know what particular stats you're referring to but I do know that Quinn's D last year had almost no fumble recoveries...and that bothers me.

Not sure that's a real good way to assess how good a defensive coordinator is doing. There could be a lot of mitigating factors for that. For that matter, his stats at Florida really don't mean much either - it's college and a totally different pool of players.

Shock2k

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":xc16c2b3 said:
Sturm":xc16c2b3 said:
gw232":xc16c2b3 said:

I don't know what particular stats you're referring to but I do know that Quinn's D last year had almost no fumble recoveries...and that bothers me.

Not sure that's a real good way to assess how good a defensive coordinator is doing. There could be a lot of mitigating factors for that.

Totally fair. I just like FO.com, and tend to trust they can give me a general answer. I'm trying to reconcile in my mind if this is a net plus or net negative.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sturm":f47te55x said:

Almost irrelevant. The telling stat is how many forced fumbles there were, regardless of who recovered.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sturm":1q75fovx said:
gw232":1q75fovx said:

Maybe most of the stats, because that's what he said.

They had 10 fumble recoveries and 20 picks. They were actually top 5 in a lot of categories. You're really going to cherry pick one category and classify it as cause for concern?

sc85sis

Reaction score
brimsalabim":13cuoizi said:
Axx":13cuoizi said:
it's like Pete knew they were getting rid of him either way and had Dan Quinn anyway.
I would love to see lovie smith but he will probably keep looking for a head coach job.
yea the speed of this does make you wonder if Bradley was leaving whether he got another job or not? and fwiw Lovey said yesterday that he would not go back to being a coordinator.
I mentioned this elsewhere on the boards yesterday. Pete promises his guys he will do what he can to help them get their dream job. At USC he would even conduct mock interviews to help them prepare.

As part of that, Pete also plans ahead so that if a guy does leave, Pete will have some options available to fill the spot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I would like to see how much pass rush Quinn is capable of generating before I hail the hire. It was under Quinn that the Red Bryant experiment launched, and I personally don't ever see Bryant creating pass rush, even after he heals. He's just not that kind of player.

Florida's defense may have put up gaudy stats last year's. But so did Seattle's, and the result was that Seattle rode a razor-thin line between victory and defeat all season until the die finally tipped wrong against Atlanta because of lack of pass rush.

So I'll withhold judgment. Could be good, could be more meh. It's still Pete's defense, after all. Maybe he'll coach up Irvin well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I do recall reading that Norton Jr. doesn't want to be a DC any time soon and that he's happy being a LB coach.

I think that paired with the fact Dan Quinn clearly DID want to be a defensive coordinator made this move pretty easy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1emninr9 said:
I would like to see how much pass rush Quinn is capable of generating before I hail the hire. It was under Quinn that the Red Bryant experiment launched, and I personally don't ever see Bryant creating pass rush, even after he heals. He's just not that kind of player..

You're right, which is why they take Red out and put Irvin in during passing downs.

Bryant is a run stuffer, and one of the best in the league at setting the edge and allowing our LB's and safeties to make tackles near the line.

Jville

Reaction score
For what it's worth ..... Florida safety Matt Elam, defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd and outside linebacker Jelani Jenkins all declared for the draft earlier this month.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sturm":ffd3hj6w said:
gw232":ffd3hj6w said:

Fumble recoveries are notoriously random occurrences. Forced fumbles is a much more important stat for a D.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Sturm":37n9nagk said:
gw232":37n9nagk said:

Watch the South Carolina game. How does a team win 44-11 with only 183 total yards on offense. They forced a lot of fumbles, I will say a lot of them on special teams where like Seattle, Florida played a lot of their defensive starters on kick and punt coverage. It was ridiculous how many balls they would rip or punch out. They did miss tackles at time, because they were always going for the strip.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Dan Quinn has two season of evaluating and watching film in the SEC. And two seasons of sitting in 18 year old kids living rooms while recruiting.

I really like that. that could pay dividends over the next several years.

Happy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":n6mctstx said:
Dan Quinn has two season of evaluating and watching film in the SEC. And two seasons of sitting in 18 year old kids living rooms while recruiting.

I really like that. that could pay dividends over the next several years.

+1 great point.