Flynn to Jax?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Given the Supply and Demand Issue (the fact that there aren't a lot of decent starting QB's out there), Matt Flynn getting traded this offseason makes FAR too sense. This is one that I'm basically taking to the bank and saying that this is going to happen.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2xrciydv said:
Given the Supply and Demand Issue (the fact that there aren't a lot of decent starting QB's out there), Matt Flynn getting traded this offseason makes FAR too sense. This is one that I'm basically taking to the bank and saying that this is going to happen.

Poor Traumahawk and his new Matt Flynn Seahawks jersey...

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'd say KC, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and NYJ would all be contenders for a QB trade. Geno Smith will go to one of the four teams, and the Jets seemed married to Flynn. I think we will likely end up getting a top 5 pick in the 3rd round for him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
pehawk":3h5qnoxy said:
Reid AINT going to draft a high pick QB. Why would he? This is a dude thats made; Vick, Foles, Garcia, Kolb and even KAFKA good QB's. It'd be like investing a high draft pick at OL for Cable.

Uh...isn't a first round pick for Carpenter a "high draft pick"?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pehawk":3jr24gqp said:
Reid AINT going to draft a high pick QB. Why would he? This is a dude thats made; Vick, Foles, Garcia, Kolb and even KAFKA good QB's. It'd be like investing a high draft pick at OL for Cable.

McNabb? :2:

kearly

Reaction score
Son of a... we probably aren't retaining Branch now.

On the positive side, I think this topic is on to something. Jacksonville NEEDS a QB, and they may not love this year's options. Why not trade for Flynn on the cheap? He'd be at worst a middle of the road starter that could keep the seat warm while you figure out who your long term starter is. When Mangini went to Cleveland he targeted a lot of Jets players to bring with him. Makes a lot of sense.

pehawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2f2t07hx said:
pehawk":2f2t07hx said:

McNabb? :2:

McNabb was when he first got there. Well after he made hey with the list of of also-rans and whos I listed. Wasn't it his first pick? C'mon.

Carpenter was a pick Seattle really didn't want. And, that was before maybe even Cable realized how good he is.

The Cable thing isn't just me. I did hear Rang mention last year that there would be no way the Hawks would consider DeCastro because "Cable can make anyone good, so why?"

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":1kbgnaq5 said:
I can't believe how people tend to devalue Flynn.
1. There is a high demand for QB this year with very little help in the draft. There was high demand last year, and his market was ice cold.
2. Flynn is a known quantity. Perhaps in Green Bay. I don't think anyone has any idea what he'd look like without GB's receivers (probably a pancake), but last year's market gives us a hint.
3. Swapping places in the 1st or 2nd round is a plausible trade value I think a 6th rounder at most is plausible trade value
4. At minimum, Matt Flynn, a starting caliber QB is worth a 3rd rounder, especially with his reasonable contract. He needs to prove himself a starting caliber QB first.
5. There are teams whose window does not allow for them to bring a QB up to speed and none of the QBs except for Barkley are ready to come in and start right away. True, but even if the young QB's this year aren't perfect, they've probably still got more name recognition and ticket-selling vibe around them that Matt Flynn.
6. As mentioned above, history shows that teams are willing to give up good draft picks for QBs. Hell, they will give up 4th and 5th rounders for Tim Tebow and Josh Wilson! And Deion Branch. No doubt teams get stupid. This remains the primary hope of Flynn getting us more than a 7th. But there are always desperate teams every year.
7. Teams that could use a new QB
Buffalo
Jets They're stuck with Sanchez and might like McElroy as a cheap stopgap while they slog out of cap hell
Browns They might or might not give up on Weeden so quick
Jaguars
KC Barkley
Raiders
Eagles Between Vick and Foles, they might not be looking, but new coach does suggest new QB.
Cardinals See Eagles. But keep in mind, last year several teams were just as desperate, and still nobody cared for Flynn. It's hard to get around that.

8. Teams that need a good backup QB are not going to give up anything more than a 7th to get him.
Miami
Titans
Dallas
Bears!
Vikings
Panthers
Tampa Bay (Freeman could use a good benching)

Personally, I think Flynn is worth someone moving back in the 1st round in order to get him. Or a mid-late 2nd round pick straight up. And if Clayton thinks he is only worth a 7th, then he's losing it.

I'm sorry, I just see this as wishful thinking. Why are we just so plaintively desperate for an extra 2nd-3rd round pick when we do so well with our 5ths?

pehawk

Reaction score
Montana - you lost me when you fail to understand the difference between the 2012 and 2013 QB market. Really, c'mon, you're smarter than that.

Again, we're dealing with a rookie CBA + the damn class of 1983 all over again + the #2 pick on the block + Peyton Manning, etc. Flynn stood NO chance. You know that.

pinksheets

Reaction score
100% agree with you Montana. When has Flynn established himself as a known quantity and a starting caliber QB? His big games in GB established himself as a guy who deserved a shot at a starting job, but he didn't win that (granted Russ is amazing), but he's no better off than he was.

I just don't see where he went from "teams aren't even bringing him in for a look see" to "teams are willing to give a high pick".

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pehawk":3ocnrql9 said:
Montana - you lost me when you fail to understand the difference between the 2012 and 2013 QB market. Really, c'mon, you're smarter than that.

Again, we're dealing with a rookie CBA + the damn class of 1983 all over again + the #2 pick on the block + Peyton Manning, etc. Flynn stood NO chance. You know that.

That still doesn't automatically ensure that some team is going to pay a second-rounder for a five-year backup with a weak arm, limited mobility, and experience in a strictly pass-first offense. It's not a terribly electrifying profile for fans or coordinators, even on desperate teams. His own offensive coordinator in Miami yawned at him. I don't think I'm being crazy here.

The difference between the 2012 and 2013 QB market is the difference between Flynn fetching a 7th rounder to fetching MAYBE a conditional 5th, IMO. The QB market is just one piece of the puzzle - Flynn's the other piece. Whether it's for our own QB hopes or now just our hopes of extra draft picks, this board continues to overrate Flynn's quality and I just don't understand why.

Besides, with this front office, a mere 5th-rounder could be the next Richard Sherman. So why strain yourself arguing for a 2nd-rounder? :mrgreen:

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree with the draft pick range. Totally.

But, last year was a once every 25 years type offseason for QB's in FA.

And, why wouldn't have Philbin yawned at him? At that price, with a high draft pick (under new rookie cap), in a rebuilding year. I think its dumb anyone expected them to make a play for Flynn.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Montana, the OC in Miami was also Tannehill's college coach. So, there is that. Tannehill allowed him to not teach a new QB his entire system.

I think you know I don't over rate Flynn's quality. But desperation creates strange bedfellows. And Jacksonville and a few other teams are desperate. Do you think Arizona thought Flynn looked pretty damn good about halfway through last season?

I have been consistent in saying that with 10 picks, we don't need more picks. But with our 25/26 spot in the draft next to Green Bay, who shares some of our needs at DT, WR, TE, Flynn might be the trade piece to jump up a few spots. His value doesn't have to be an actual pick.

Or, his value might be a 2014 conditional pick. Which allows the trading team to add a round, allows us to get a higher pick if he hits some performance marks, and everyobody is happy.

pehawk

Reaction score
I know this sounds NUTS. But is it really THAT far fetched to think the Hawks could swap with KC in round 1, with a cost of Flynn and a 2nd or 3rd?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
pehawk":bgai6ult said:
I know this sounds NUTS. But is it really THAT far fetched to think the Hawks could swap with KC in round 1, with a cost of Flynn and a 2nd or 3rd?

Depends how much Reid likes Flynn. It's not that far-fetched since there are no QBs worthy of that spot for KC. If they are planning to trade down anyway, that type of option could be intriguing for them because they would add their QB, plus have a 1st rounder still in addition to an extra pick.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":2wnebt9o said:

Why is what I ask myself. What do you want that high up in this draft that you are willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder plus Flynn?

This draft has depth - this draft does not have elite talent easily spotted (saying there may be elite players coming out of the draft but none is standing out right now)

First few picks will mean $20 million over three years so you gain nothing in regards to the cap......

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2dp9f9lc said:
pehawk":2dp9f9lc said:

Depends how much Reid likes Flynn. It's not that far-fetched since there are no QBs worthy of that spot for KC. If they are planning to trade down anyway, that type of option could be intriguing for them because they would add their QB, plus have a 1st rounder still in addition to an extra pick.

Dudes..... that won't happen. The #1 pick has too much "value" for that deal to ever take place. Look at the value charts.

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, Reid's made lessor QB's SHINE. And, IMO, that's an 8 win team, with a mediocre QB. Flynn's at least that.

For the record, I'm not shooting for the moon, for the sake of it. I see KC as the only real trading partner (no to Jax because Henne's cheaper and just as good). And, at DT, there's only 2 impact types. And, they'll be gone within 6 picks.

But, please note, I'm a draft moron. I know NOTHING about draft charts or prospects. So, feel free to call me a nutter.

Latest posts