Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":2a7wlk3g said:
One other potential positive of hiring Dan Quinn - assuming Wash is hired by Bradley as DC (I am not a Wash fan), Quinn would likely bring Bryant Young from Florida as D-line coach

haha, if Wash did go to Jacksonville the media might keep showing Wash during the games and saying it is Gus Bradley. The confusion will continue!

McGruff

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2hyulkiv said:
In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

I haven't posted on this board in a thousand years, but here's what I have to say about this . . .

1. This is essentially a promotion from within. Quinn was with this team two years ago, was responsible for successfully implementing the Red Bryant experiment and turning Chris Clemons from a journeyman into a league leading pass rusher. He knows many of the players, all of the coaches, and has worked with Carroll in the past.

2. There is no one on the current staff with the experience or demeanor to take on the coordinator gig. Richard is too inexperienced, and Norton is probably a career position coach. His personality doesn't fit well with being a "big picture" type coach.

3. I have no doubt that Quinn, like Bradley, will be groomed by Carroll to eventually take over the whole team. That's the kind of coach he is and the kind of reputation he has. Carroll is the second oldest coach in the league. Quinn has future HC coach written all over him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1wo7isbf said:
Would have rather had Rod marinelli

I love the fact that Carroll is continually surroundiung himself with young up and coming coaches instead of old old cronies and retreads that are too committed to twenty year old ideas to adjust to new scheme changes. I think Carroll's willingness to open himself up to new blood and new ideas will keep this team ahead of the NFL curve for a very long time.

CANHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2kfsjbqo said:
CodeWarrior":2kfsjbqo said:
In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

I haven't posted on this board in a thousand years, but here's what I have to say about this . . .

1. This is essentially a promotion from within. Quinn was with this team two years ago, was responsible for successfully implementing the Red Bryant experiment and turning Chris Clemons from a journeyman into a league leading pass rusher. He knows many of the players, all of the coaches, and has worked with Carroll in the past.

2. There is no one on the current staff with the experience or demeanor to take on the coordinator gig. Richard is too inexperienced, and Norton is probably a career position coach. His personality doesn't fit well with being a "big picture" type coach.

3. I have no doubt that Quinn, like Bradley, will be groomed by Carroll to eventually take over the whole team. That's the kind of coach he is and the kind of reputation he has. Carroll is the second oldest coach in the league. Quinn has future HC coach written all over him.

That is EXACTLY what I was saying! Great post!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Have any of you considered the fact this now shows Seattle as a destination? We got a guy back from the University of Florida - one of the most football hungry places in the nation. This portends good things for the future.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
McGruff":3soqpfua said:
Tech Worlds":3soqpfua said:
Would have rather had Rod marinelli

I love the fact that Carroll is continually surroundiung himself with young up and coming coaches instead of old old cronies and retreads that are too committed to twenty year old ideas to adjust to new scheme changes. I think Carroll's willingness to open himself up to new blood and new ideas will keep this team ahead of the NFL curve for a very long time.

Yup, name coaches are what dumb teams do, look at KC, get the next assistant that becomes the "hot" name guy first.

JonRud

Reaction score
This sounds like a decent swap for us. I really hope Bevell doesn't go. I don't think changing both coordinators in one off-season is so great.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
So if Bradley takes Wash with him to Jacksonville, it's likely guess that Bryant Young from UF would replace him. I think these moves will certainly improve our D.... Exciting stuff!!!

AlexHawk

Reaction score
Good hire did a good job with Florida this year, knows the defense as well so won't lead to much upheaval if any.

On a side note I wonder if this increases the chances of us looking at some Florida defensive guys like Sharrif Floyd.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1244s2lr said:
Have any of you considered the fact this now shows Seattle as a destination? We got a guy back from the University of Florida - one of the most football hungry places in the nation. This portends good things for the future.

If it wasn't for Quinn having an established and quite recent history with us, I would lend more credence to that idea. Not saying it's completely out of bounds, but I don't know that it's one of the primary takeaways from the hire.

zayden185

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":2mnpdloj said:
Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.

i dont think they run at the edges anymore, or to his side so less tackles. we got gashed up the middle for the most part...he set the edge and they dodnt get around it really.

was internal line play and rookie MLB finding his way

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1kmd4f5e said:
Does anyone know how Quinn is as a playcaller? Did he calls plays on D as a head coach last year?
Same kind of situation as here Muschamp had a lot of influence on the defense because he's a defensive guy, but he let Quinn do the play calling.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":12js4rwy said:
Sarlacc83":12js4rwy said:

If it wasn't for Quinn having an established and quite recent history with us, I would lend more credence to that idea. Not saying it's completely out of bounds, but I don't know that it's one of the primary takeaways from the hire.

Well, it's not the primary thing, no, but I think it's a secondary or tertiary item we can pull from it, especially if people really believe Quinn wants to go onto a head coaching gig. Even if Carroll and he have a great history, he's still got to factor in his future plans and whether being the Seahawks DC can help him reach that goal. Given that Bradley was hired as the Jags head coach, I'd say the answer is yes. Maybe it only works in this specific instance, but I have a feeling other coordinators are going to notice, especially when you factor in the fact that PC kept Bradley and took him under his wing during the regime change.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Love this move, now hopefully Bevell stays and we can focus on FA and the draft

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ckaob4ou said:
Love this move, now hopefully Bevell stays and we can focus on FA and the draft

Yeah, as thrilled as I am about the Dan Quinn signing, I really don't want to see Bevell go anywhere. I think the continuity in the coaching staff next year will be important for the offense and for Wilson.

Is Bevell even in play anywhere now that Trestman is in Chicago?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
This is a fantastic hire ... not only because he's been here before, but also in terms of what he did at Florida in the 2 years he was Defensive Coordinator there. Just a few numbers from this past year ...

The 2012 Gators were ...

5th Best in terms of Fewest Points/Game Allowed (14.46 Pts/Game)
5th Best in terms of Total Yards/Allowed per Game (287.46)
4th Best in terms of Rush Defense (94.92 Rushing Yards/Game)
10th Best in terms of 3rd Down Conversion Percentage (31.02%)
13th Best in terms of Red Zone Scoring Percentage

The Gators were one of the Top defenses in the NCAA both of the years he was D-Coordinator. Good stuff.

Latest posts