Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 11163
Location: Antioch, CA
In-game adjustments.

Seems like most of the year, there was a vast difference between how the D played in the 1st half and the 2nd half. While teams would move the ball on the Hawks in the first quarter, they would usually clamp down and figure out the opposition's game plan.

So many times it seemed like our D would shut out the opposing team in the 2nd half, or just hold them to 1 or 2 scores (that score would usually be at the end of the game).

I think Bradley was a huge part of that, and that's the area I think we'll miss him most. The Hawks over the last 2 years, and especially this year, made in-game adjustments on Defense like no other Hawks team I can remember.

I really hope that coaches other than Gus were the main ones behind that.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Yup, he DID call the plays. No matter what people say about him being a stepford DC, it's just noise. Gus called the plays.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm
Posts: 1971
This might be true because we don't know who makes adjustments on either side of the ball. if Gus is that guy then his loss will be felt.

I know it for sure that Tom Cable is the one making half time adjustments for the offense because Doug Baldwin said it in one of his interviews.

_________________
Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
SeahawksFanForever wrote:
This might be true because we don't know who makes adjustments on either side of the ball. if Gus is that guy then his loss will be felt.

I know it for sure that Tom Cable is the one making half time adjustments for the offense because Doug Baldwin said it in one of his interviews.


Shh, English and his crew like to point out how stupid anyone who rips Bevell is, even though I used this as evidence and logic behind my distrust. Dont bring up stuff like that, for real. Dummy!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8676
Location: Is Everything
Well maybe we'll have better game plans and wont need to rely on adjustments.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 8832
Location: Granite Falls, WA
We never made adjustments that worked before Pete got here.

I am inclined to believe that will continue with Gus gone.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
pehawk wrote:
SeahawksFanForever wrote:
This might be true because we don't know who makes adjustments on either side of the ball. if Gus is that guy then his loss will be felt.

I know it for sure that Tom Cable is the one making half time adjustments for the offense because Doug Baldwin said it in one of his interviews.


Shh, English and his crew like to point out how stupid anyone who rips Bevell is, even though I used this as evidence and logic behind my distrust. Dont bring up stuff like that, for real. Dummy!


Basically, all the people claiming that Pete calls the plays on defense can walk away now. Do you seriously think the Jaguars would hire a guy, the same day they interviewed him for the first time, if he wasn't calling the shots? Insert Jaguars joke here but still, this an NFL franchise entrusting their future in a man.

I'll always laugh and smile when I think of the people who claimed that Pete Carroll calls the plays on D.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm
Posts: 2272
pehawk wrote:
SeahawksFanForever wrote:
This might be true because we don't know who makes adjustments on either side of the ball. if Gus is that guy then his loss will be felt.

I know it for sure that Tom Cable is the one making half time adjustments for the offense because Doug Baldwin said it in one of his interviews.


Shh, English and his crew like to point out how stupid anyone who rips Bevell is, even though I used this as evidence and logic behind my distrust. Dont bring up stuff like that, for real. Dummy!


This isn't entirely correct. There are very little "half-time" adjustments made at half-time. This is a myth that fans and media like to use. First, PC has said numerous times A) We didn't really do any adjustments, we just executed better in the 2nd half. (Go listen to a number of his Monday appearances with Brock and Salk and you'll here him say this throughout the year-- Even though Brock and Salk specifically ask about Half-time adjustments)

B) PC also said on Brock and Salk that if you "wait" until halftime your doomed. That adjustments are made between series.

C) Ross Tucker on the FOOTBALL TODAY PODCAST--- Stated: That fans have a incorrect impression that there's these huge adjustments made at halftime-- That Coordinators are coaching up and going into great detail during halftime. He says there barely enough time to take a leak get a drink of water. Sure the coach may give a "get out there an win the game" pep talk. But there isn't sweeping gameplan changes that they draw up in the lockerroom by and large.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7407
Location: CVN-68
Considering how his defense couldn't in-game adjust to blowing leads in critical spots, I'm not sure this aspect of losing Bradley will hurt.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
My point still stands, that by the players and Pete's own quotes, Cable appears to be the point guy offensively. Now, the "smart" people dont like to hear that, because they'd rather feel superior by talking down to anyone who criticizes Bevell.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11083
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
NYCoug wrote:
pehawk wrote:
SeahawksFanForever wrote:
This might be true because we don't know who makes adjustments on either side of the ball. if Gus is that guy then his loss will be felt.

I know it for sure that Tom Cable is the one making half time adjustments for the offense because Doug Baldwin said it in one of his interviews.


Shh, English and his crew like to point out how stupid anyone who rips Bevell is, even though I used this as evidence and logic behind my distrust. Dont bring up stuff like that, for real. Dummy!


Basically, all the people claiming that Pete calls the plays on defense can walk away now. Do you seriously think the Jaguars would hire a guy, the same day they interviewed him for the first time, if he wasn't calling the shots? Insert Jaguars joke here but still, this an NFL franchise entrusting their future in a man.

I'll always laugh and smile when I think of the people who claimed that Pete Carroll calls the plays on D.



Very true, but it IS an NFL franchise that's owned by Super Mario.
Image
Giant red polka dot mushrooms might very well be the next big PED.

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
What an F'N 'Stache! I'd seriously trade Paul Allen for this man! What an F'N stache!

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
I dont know why, but I bet Kahn gives really good haircuts.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11083
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
NYCoug wrote:
What an F'N 'Stache! I'd seriously trade Paul Allen for this man! What an F'N stache!


I do not agree with this statement, but I would endeavor to convince Mr. Allen that growing a killer moustache would be benneficial for all mankind.

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:10 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
CANHawk wrote:
NYCoug wrote:
What an F'N 'Stache! I'd seriously trade Paul Allen for this man! What an F'N stache!


I do not agree with this statement, but I would endeavor to convince Mr. Allen that growing a killer moustache would be benneficial for all mankind.


I do not agree with the statement either, but my god what a stache! I'll bet the damn mortgage (don't have one) that if Paul Allen grew that kind of a killer stache we'd win the friggin Super Bowl! I'm honestly surprised that it's taken him this long to come up with the idea...

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 am 
* NET Lead Admin *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 8509
CANHawk wrote:
NYCoug wrote:
Basically, all the people claiming that Pete calls the plays on defense can walk away now. Do you seriously think the Jaguars would hire a guy, the same day they interviewed him for the first time, if he wasn't calling the shots? Insert Jaguars joke here but still, this an NFL franchise entrusting their future in a man.

I'll always laugh and smile when I think of the people who claimed that Pete Carroll calls the plays on D.



Very true, but it IS an NFL franchise that's owned by Super Mario.
Image
Giant red polka dot mushrooms might very well be the next big PED.


Shad Kahn is a pretty amazing guy. Don't let the goofy mustache fool you, he's a self made billionaire, more in the mold of Paul Allen than the clique of silver spoon kids who are owners in the league. If his new GM thinks that Bradley is the best choice to be the head coach and he signed off on it I think that's pretty solid endorsement, at least from an organizational standpoint.

_________________
Championships are forever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 1554
yea Bradley was huge in the second half of the Falcs game when it counted against the ONLY option the Falcons had... can you say double team those 2, 3 man rush, spy?

Falcs shouldnt have even got a first down after the kick, which should have been buried

if Bradley was worth his weight the Hawks would have went 16-0, they're that good!

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
CanHawks, I really like the new avatar of Te'o's girlfriend during those chemo months. Glad to see I'm not the only one who still thinks she's real.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
Posts: 9850
HawkFan72 wrote:
In-game adjustments.

Seems like most of the year, there was a vast difference between how the D played in the 1st half and the 2nd half. While teams would move the ball on the Hawks in the first quarter, they would usually clamp down and figure out the opposition's game plan.

So many times it seemed like our D would shut out the opposing team in the 2nd half, or just hold them to 1 or 2 scores (that score would usually be at the end of the game).

I think Bradley was a huge part of that, and that's the area I think we'll miss him most. The Hawks over the last 2 years, and especially this year, made in-game adjustments on Defense like no other Hawks team I can remember.

I really hope that coaches other than Gus were the main ones behind that.
disagree, it took him too long to make in game adjustments see the playoffs where it took him a quarter to a half to make in game adjustments. I'm glad his soft zone schemes and him are gone. Nothing personal, just think he is a crappy DC.

_________________
42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS century, deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
pehawk wrote:
CanHawks, I really like the new avatar of Te'o's girlfriend during those chemo months. Glad to see I'm not the only one who still thinks she's real.


You consistently top yourself with "post of the year" material. You seriously make my day brighter. Don't ever stop being you :th2thumbs:

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 11163
Location: Antioch, CA
Twisted wrote:
yea Bradley was huge in the second half of the Falcs game when it counted against the ONLY option the Falcons had... can you say double team those 2, 3 man rush, spy?

Falcs shouldnt have even got a first down after the kick, which should have been buried

if Bradley was worth his weight the Hawks would have went 16-0, they're that good!


I'm not even going to comment on the 16-0 comment. That is just ridiculous.

But, man, you guys are so fixated on that final drive.

How about the fact that the Falcons put up 20 points in the first half, moving the ball at will...and then in the second half were only able to muster 1 TD and were being stopped regularly? Even though in the Sound FX segments, Mike Smith said they were going to keep the pressure on and not let up on Offense!

In about 8 or 9 of our games, we shut out or held the opposition to ZERO TDs after halftime.

The in-game adjustments were huge this year. Yes, there were 4 huge, frustrating collapses this year. But stop acting like Bradley didn't do anything good this year. It's just ignorant and homer-ish.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 am 
* NET Lead Admin *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 8509
It occurs to me is that the jags want him because they like our defense and want to implement something like it. We've talked about how teams would start to copy Pete's innovations if it was successful and this is how it happens, the coaching tree.

_________________
Championships are forever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:00 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am
Posts: 2742
Second half adjustments have always been Pete's specialty. They commented on it during just about every USC game during Pete's tenure.

He always talks about the importance of the 2nd half. Anything can go wrong in the first half, but you don't win a game in the first half.

Calm down people. Pete and Gus both came from the Kiffin system. The next DC will come from the same structure.

_________________
Give me some damn skittles...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:42 am 
* NET Shrink *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm
Posts: 1551
Location: Seattle, WA
pehawk wrote:
Yup, he DID call the plays. No matter what people say about him being a stepford DC, it's just noise. Gus called the plays.


which is why you don't want him as your opposition, well, unless you are down by 1 and have 31 seconds left.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:58 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm
Posts: 633
For the more football savvy than myself, can someone explain how we are supposed to be better?

My understanding was that Gus put into place a defense that made it difficult for the opposing QB to make effective presnap reads.

Regardless, he was able to put together a very solid defense without really having an effective means of pressuring the QB. Most good defenses I have seen had that component, and Green Bay game aside, we seemed to have a harder time pressuring the QB this year. We did get sacks, but a lot of those were also coverage sacksl.

I don't think it is fair to give this defense a high rating (and it did rate high) and then not give the person responsible for calling the defense the credit for the results. Clearly Gus had to be part of why our defense did so well. Because of that, I do believe that losing him hurts us.

Obviously we have little control over him leaving, so we have to adapt. I just do not see how we can expect to be better next year when we will be dealing with this and the second issue of whether Clemons or Red can get healthy and productive again.

Anyone want to help me understand why I should be more confident here?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
TwistedHusky wrote:

Anyone want to help me understand why I should be more confident here?


Most experts agree that our defensive is Pete Carroll and John Schneider's baby. They were the architects of our big, fast and physical style of play and schemes.

Not to take anything away from Bradley, he's a great coach and a great motivator. But IMO our defensive is good because of Carroll and personnel.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm
Posts: 2909
Location: Hamilton
pehawk wrote:
Yup, he DID call the plays. No matter what people say about him being a stepford DC, it's just noise. Gus called the plays.


It isn't noise. Choosing the personnel and and installing the defense and its philosophy is by far more important than calling the plays on Sunday. Pete basically did the former and Bradley the latter. Bradley was an LB coach anyway - so his stamp isn't even on his specialty group as Ken Norton Jr. is running that show. I thought of Bradley as the glue.

_________________
Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
Image
Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 pm 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
I disagree. In today's NFL, it's ALL ABOUT playcalling.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am
Posts: 380
I want a DC who can make adjustments BEFORE halftime....while the game is being played, if/as needed!

_________________
"I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
purpleworld wrote:
I want a DC who can make adjustments BEFORE halftime....while the game is being played, if/as needed!


That's good, cause every DC makes adjustments before, during and after halftime.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
Posts: 4373
Location: Southern CA
Pete is the architect, Bradley was the contractor. He oversaw the game planning and called the plays during the game.

_________________
Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:50 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 2370
Location: Sammamish, WA
Well, our so called "Elite" defense sure blew a lot of games at the end. It's extremely frustrating to watch them fold in the clutch (Atlanta, Detroit, Miami etc.)
Once this team gets a pass rush, we will be a very strong contender to win it all.

_________________
60 percent of the time..........it works........every time


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm
Posts: 1840
Most adjustments were at the the line. PC was the DB coach at SF and was excellent. I suspect he gives his input there


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where I think Losing Bradley will hurt the most
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9831
Tech Worlds wrote:
We never made adjustments that worked before Pete got here.

I am inclined to believe that will continue with Gus gone.


Beat me to it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.