Pass rush or WR?

davidonmi

Reaction score
I would go with pass rush definitely, this defense is one pass rusher away right now, and I believe they will figure out the bugaboos against the rush which should work themselves out. There are many possibilities for what they may do. A few mocks have Tavon Austin, or a more of a possession reciever such as Deandre Hopkins.
Outside of Pass rush, and WR, only position needing adressing really is Nickel corner.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
I understand how desperate we are for pass rush, but I think we could definitely help Russell out -- and our team long term -- if we got him some talent to throw to. This would allow him to grow and make a connection with his targets and keep for the distant future!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
If Sidney (Tanzania Tanzania Tanzania) goes down (Tanzania Tanzania), it would REALLY suck, but I think Russell and the offense would still put up points. With a BEAST DT and another edge rusher we're in the superbowl, we might even go 16-0. Our LB's and Secondary are absolutely stellar, and next year they will be better, if we can CONSISTENTLY hurry and hit the opposing QB we'll force a ton of three and outs, the games won't even be close in the 4th quarter.

Having said that, I think we also need a playmaker WR, but I'd find that All-Pro DT first.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
If the talent level was equal between a defensive tackle pass rusher and a receiver, I'd pick the tackle, no question about it, but the draft isn't looking like that, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it).

Receiver depth is really good this year in the late first. So much, that the wiser, more valuable pick might be WR instead of reaching for a pass rusher.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
I say BPA in the first, between pass catcher or pass rush. That might mean OLB as well. Pass rush is #1, but can't pass up upgrading the playmakers, or adding to the playmakers they already have.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Pass rush is more important and a bigger "need" at this point, but I just don't think the draft, especially at #25 is going to give us great options on the pass rush/DT front.

So, despite the need being bigger at pass rush, the draft will most likely play out better for getting a WR/TE at 25 and quite honestly, I'd much rather get great value out of the 1st rounder than forcing the biggest need.

There are a bevy of great WR options, it just depends on what we want. As fun as it would be to get a Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson type, I would find it very hard to pass on DeAndre Hopkins. He won't blow up the combine, but you can take the kid to the bank to be a good NFL WR, who is consistent and reliable. I can't think of a better pick for our young QB.

As stated in a previous post, I do like our WR corps, but we are a Sidney Rice injury away from going from an average WR corps to a really poor one (IMO). This can be said about a lot of positions (for most teams), but we have a young QB and the worst thing you can do is put him in a bind. Confidence is such a big thing, and I'd hate to see that jeopardized because we think he has "enough."

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
If you are talking first round pick, I think there will be way more value at the WR spot than on the D line when our pick comes around. I think there will be a run on D line before our pick. I agree that pass rush is a greater need, but I would not reach for a D lineman if the best WR's are still on the board. Gotta maximize value with that pick.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
JS and PC's objective has always been to get the team where it now - strong at every position, if not great. That way we can go in there and get the BPA. And JS is so great with later picks, he might find a dl project type that can help us. The team is good enough now to win the div. Reciever depth is scary. Taking a rec with the 25 pick - you could do a lot worse.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I understand the pass rush needs to improve but also look at how many WR just didn't work out for us and how many we brought in. WR is probably as high on the list as pass-rusher IMO. We brought in T.O., Edwards, Martin, Kearse, sent a few to the unemployment line (Durham, Lockette). I wouldn't be unhappy with a WR or TE picked first when I think about it.

For Pass rush:

Maybe Akeem Spence DT? I think he could be a project player at 3 tech and all if that fails he could play 1 tech behind Mebane. Probably not a starter for a few years and we wouldn't be looking until our 2nd or 3rd for that type of player.

At this point I'm starting to think re-signing Branch and drafting a couple of DE is better than reaching for a 3 tech that isn't there or will cost too mush to trade for (Richardson). For starters, Branch isn't horrible, he isn't a great pass rusher but he is stout against the run and can play the 5 in this defense if Bryant goes down. With Clemons injured we should probably just add as many DE's that we can, ones that can play the 5 and sub for Bryant and possibly full time in Clemons spot.

Chawker

Reaction score
Its true that the defence had the better number's across the board, and one would think we need to address the offence first. This is not true. Why? number one reason is because Russell Wilson youth and is still learning how to become a champion. We do need a WR that can separate quickly in tight man coverage with great hands, a receiving TE would be nice too.
Getting pressure on the QB is a higher priority, with Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin comming off the edges will still have one glaring need. A LBer the can blitz, and when I say "blitz" I'm talking about when we dial up a blitz he gets the job done. (remember Fred Young) I'd like to see the Seahawk replace Leroy Hill by drafting a LBer like Chase Thomas from Standford a blue collar player that can blitz.
Cheers

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":1h2pj9a0 said:
I say BPA in the first, between pass catcher or pass rush. That might mean OLB as well. Pass rush is #1, but can't pass up upgrading the playmakers, or adding to the playmakers they already have.

+2

12th_Bob

Reaction score
WR got me thinking about Danny Amendola, he is looking for a payday and the Rams are kind trapped with Bradford's contract. Maybe Seattle should at least drive the price up on Amendola making it difficult for them to keep the core together. He is pretty polished and would lessen the need to draft a WR early and him with Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Miller is pretty solid front line receiver package to trot out.