Great list by Derek Stephens: UFA's for the Hawks

kearly

Reaction score
jlwaters1":128t0x4d said:
I completely disagree with the ludicrious notion that Bruce Irvin ISN'T a LEO.

In as few words as possible,

#1: He has to sell out in the pass rush to get pressure. This is not news.

#2: He has to sell out to stop the run and is still a liability despite that.

#3: He can't sell out to rush the QB AND sell out to stop the run. For Irvin, it's a zero sum game.

#4: His size, build, strength, and most especially technique do not paint a rosy picture for growth against the run. This is why Irvin was not a top 5 pick. Completely serious, he plays 3-down DE about as well as Bobby Wagner would, and probably less well than KJ Wright would.

#5: Irvin is a high exertion player. Hustle is the name of the game for him. Playing every third down in a pure pass rush situation benefits him. He would take downs off or tire out in an every down role.

#6: He has been a non-factor in a 3-down role throughout the season. The only exception was the 4th quarter of the Redskins game, but that was masked by frequent blitzing which aided Irvin tremendously.

Even if he was the LEO, we'd need to find a new Raheem Brock to replace Irvin anyway. Why not just upgrade LEO instead and save ourselves from a massive problem? I guarantee you that Irvin will not be our LEO in 3 years time. Pete will get his horses on that D-line, and Irvin will remain a valuable situational rusher.

kearly

Reaction score
CANHawk":21te9i8k said:
I don't like that idea as a full time solution, but I could definitely get behind it situationally. Don't even think we need to draft anyone to make it happen as Jeron Johnson is more than capable (and looks a little better in coverage than Kam from what I can tell).

I think Kam would be a killer LB. Great instincts, big hitter, great tackler, good blitzer. His weakness is coverage, but his coverage would be good by LB standards.

I like Jeron Johnson, but he's the classic "the team is always looking to upgrade over him" guy on this roster. Spectacular in the preseason, average in the regular season. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of him, but after watching him this season I'd feel better if he was a backup.

And he'd never play LB. He's 5'10" and 212 pounds. Just doesn't have the size, and his speed isn't all that great either. I think he's a solid nickle safety but I would prefer to see him get beat out next preseason.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kearly":28jipvm5 said:
CANHawk":28jipvm5 said:
I don't like that idea as a full time solution, but I could definitely get behind it situationally. Don't even think we need to draft anyone to make it happen as Jeron Johnson is more than capable (and looks a little better in coverage than Kam from what I can tell).

I think Kam would be a killer LB. Great instincts, big hitter, great tackler, good blitzer. His weakness is coverage, but his coverage would be good by LB standards.

I like Jeron Johnson, but he's the classic "the team is always looking to upgrade over him" guy on this roster. Spectacular in the preseason, average in the regular season. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of him, but after watching him this season I'd feel better if he was a backup.

And he'd never play LB. He's 5'10" and 212 pounds. Just doesn't have the size, and his speed isn't all that great either. I think he's a solid nickle safety but I would prefer to see him get beat out next preseason.

Yeah sorry, didnt really finish the thought... I meant that Jeron Johnson could come in on those downs that need a little more support coverage wise over the top and Kam could move up to play the Will. I would never propose playing JJ as a conventional LB (maybe in a bandit kind of blitz package, but not in a conventional look).