Is Russell Wilson the greatest Rookie of all time?

strohmin

Reaction score
Has their ever been any rookie that has shattered expectations better than Russell? I can't think of anyone else who has had a better rookie season in the NFL.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I can give you one this season who had a better year. But #2 he might have a case

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3joa1wph said:
therealjohncarlson":3joa1wph said:
I can give you one this season who had a better year. But #2 he might have a case

Who? RG3? :lol:

Well yes... I believe Russell will be the better QB in the long-run and I would choose Wison straight up every damn time but RG3 had the better regular season

hawker84

Reaction score
aarrrrrggg.. really starting to not like the bob griffin guy... screwing up everything.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
therealjohncarlson":3lv5cszl said:
SmokinHawk":3lv5cszl said:
therealjohncarlson":3lv5cszl said:

Well yes... I believe Russell will be the better QB in the long-run and I would choose Wison straight up every damn time but RG3 had the better regular season

Sure, aside from total touchdowns scored, touchdown passes, touchdowns to turnovers margin, wins and losses, you know, the important things, RGIII had a better season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RG3 had his college offense installed, a full pre-season and set of camps to work with, and still had half his passing yards come from screens and shovels to the running back. Give me a break, Wilson smoked RG3 in the real world.

Rainger

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1zmf2wue said:
SmokinHawk":1zmf2wue said:
therealjohncarlson":1zmf2wue said:

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: Man you are far too caught up in what the media spoon feeds you. But you are entitled to your opinion even when it is wrong and unsustainable. :D

However to the OP still dont know if "all time" can be claimed, but pretty damn good and certainly the best in a lot of years.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I wonder if you took a poll on an unbaised site of whom would have the better overall career (wilson vs. rg3) who would win?

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised if RG3 had a terrible sophomore year especially with that injury.

It would really surprise me if Wilson had a bad year.

themunn

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2uo09imv said:
SmokinHawk":2uo09imv said:
therealjohncarlson":2uo09imv said:

but the question isn't "did he have the best regular season of any rookie ever"

The question is "is he the best ever rookie"
I don't know if it's true, but he definitely had the best season of any rookie... because when the playoffs rolled around he was still by all intents and purposes a rookie

Night Train lane setting the single season record (that still stands) with 14 interceptions in his rookie year probably wins it, even if it predates the superbowl. 14 interceptions in 12 games. insane

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3pgu56b0 said:
SmokinHawk":3pgu56b0 said:
therealjohncarlson":3pgu56b0 said:

Based on what stats did Robert Griffin have a better season? Russell threw more TDs, scored more TDs overall, beat numerous defenses ranked in the top 10 (a couple of them on 4th quarter comebacks), and otherwise transformed an inept Seahawks offense into a borderline dominant powerhouse.

Griffin was stupid in how he handled himself on the football field and took his entire team down with him. That alone tells me RW was the better player this season.

Twisted

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":27u7evwk said:
SmokinHawk":27u7evwk said:
therealjohncarlson":27u7evwk said:

what a DOLT, hows that knee holding up... lol

so getting a knee injury and not winning in the playoffs while breaking rookie playoff records is what you call premiere play?

troll@12o'clock

Twisted

Reaction score
you can argue RG is the same caliber player all day long, but claiming RG had the same or better year than RW when RG received a SERIOUS injury late in the season? nah, not gonna work in anyones book...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
themunn":17os3xhx said:
Night Train lane setting the single season record (that still stands) with 14 interceptions in his rookie year probably wins it, even if it predates the superbowl. 14 interceptions in 12 games. insane

Yea, I'd have to say that's probably a better rookie season, even if it isn't really comparing apples to apples, or even oranges, as they were not only different positions, different sides of the ball, but different eras. Still, even by today's standards, that is absolutely incredible.

And if that's the comparison to find a better rookie season than Wilson's, I'll take it in a New York minute.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I call it a push if you're talking only about the regular season. Don't get me wrong, Wilson appears to be the better player but the better players don't always have the better seasons.

kearly

Reaction score
Wilson was #1 all time in DYAR among rookies (since at least 1991). 25% higher than Griffin. Griffin's raw numbers were just barely better, but factor strength of defenses faced and Wilson wins. What's really striking about that is how DYAR is a counting stat that heavily favors players who see the ball more. Seattle had the league's lowest pass percentage. Even when factoring Wilson's runs, very few QBs had fewer chances to build up DYAR than Wilson did, and he still ran away with it among the rookie QBs.

I really believe that if our defense doesn't crater at the end of that Falcons' game, Wilson is winning it all this year and becomes the first rookie to do it. That was the hardest part of that loss.