FLYNN AND WILSON

razgriz737

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2oc0452e said:
People keep saying this and miss the point why people say trading him shouldn't be ruled out.

If we can move him, you're saving around $7m in cap room in 2013. That might not make a difference too much this year, but each season under the new CBA teams are able to designate a sum of money to 'throw forward' to the following year. By theory, the more cap room available to throw forward, the more chance this team has of re-signing the likes of Earl Thomas, Russell Okung, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, K.J. Wright etc.

The saving of $7m this year would allow the team the luxury of throwing maximum cap room into 2014 while also making one or two free agent additions to fill needs. It's not about 'Oh... Flynn is on so much money!" It's more a case of... "Why not use that money in a more useful way?" We don't need a backup on that salary who is nothing like Russell Wilson - the starter. So why not put the money to better use?
This is my thinking as well.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Lucky Wilson can still ball without the Zone Read Option. But.... I like to have Flynn... just incase next year something happens.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
It really comes down to what teams offer. If the price is high enough (draft picks, player(s)) then you take it.

docj78

Reaction score
Matt Flynn has shown he deserves a shot at starting in the NFL, and our team still has gaps to fill. Seems like a good plan to me, to trade him of. Plus free up cap room for some big FA's. Yeah it's nice to have a starter quality backup qb, but honestly, how many teams have one?????????

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Hawks are in a very good position. Because of the fact that Wilson can't get his contract until after his 3rd season, we don't really have that much $ tied up in the QB position, especially if you look at the talent of these two guys. A lot of teams need a QB, Schneider can sit back and see what offers roll in. I prefer they trade him for a current player, a DE or a big WR. But, if someone throws a 2nd rounder out there, take it. You gotta' think that KC would be a perfect spot for him, and I'm already hearing a lot about that possibility on the radio.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I don't understand why all the talk about trading Flynn revolves around money. When to me the bigger reason to trade him is he simply doesn't fit the offense any longer. The team drastically changed it's offensive playbook as the season progressed, tailoring it to fit Russell Wilson's skill set. As it currently stands, if RW goes out mid-game with an injury and Flynn comes in, you are changing your playcalling. Same is the case if RW goes down for a game or two. I do not understand how people can think that's no big deal. You want a qb who can come in and keep the offense going as is.

Danny O'Neil wrote about it the other day. Notice Pete's comments at the end.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... att-flynn/

And while you could make a case that Flynn is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the entire league, he might not be the best backup quarterback for Seattle. He is a quarterback whose biggest asset is timing and anticipation while Wilson is someone with a plus-arm by NFL standards and exceptional mobility.

In that regard, Seattle might be better finding a backup quarterback who is capable of running some of the option plays Seattle has as opposed to a more accomplished passer like Flynn.

Carroll was asked, specifically, if it was important to find a backup with traits similar to Wilson’s.

“It’s a good point and we’ve talked a lot about that,” Carroll said. “It would be nice to have another guy who might be able to be a factor in that way. There’s some really good kids out there. We’ll see.”

edogg23

Reaction score
The only reason I see to trade him is if he wants to go to another team to start. Otherwise you keep Flynn and sleep well at night knowing that your not one play away from flushing the whole season down the toliet like you would be if you had most other backups at qb.

kearly

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3t8imw0j said:
I don't understand why all the talk about trading Flynn revolves around money. When to me the bigger reason to trade him is he simply doesn't fit the offense any longer. The team drastically changed it's offensive playbook as the season progressed, tailoring it to fit Russell Wilson's skill set. As it currently stands, if RW goes out mid-game with an injury and Flynn comes in, you are changing your playcalling. Same is the case if RW goes down for a game or two. I do not understand how people can think that's no big deal. You want a qb who can come in and keep the offense going as is.

Danny O'Neil wrote about it the other day. Notice Pete's comments at the end.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... att-flynn/

And while you could make a case that Flynn is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the entire league, he might not be the best backup quarterback for Seattle. He is a quarterback whose biggest asset is timing and anticipation while Wilson is someone with a plus-arm by NFL standards and exceptional mobility.

In that regard, Seattle might be better finding a backup quarterback who is capable of running some of the option plays Seattle has as opposed to a more accomplished passer like Flynn.

Carroll was asked, specifically, if it was important to find a backup with traits similar to Wilson’s.

“It’s a good point and we’ve talked a lot about that,” Carroll said. “It would be nice to have another guy who might be able to be a factor in that way. There’s some really good kids out there. We’ll see.”

Well, remember that Matt Hasselbeck was hardly a mobile QB. Even Tjack was basically used as a pure pocket passer- even before the injury Seattle was very hesitant to use him on designed runs. IIRC, the play that injured T-jack was his first designed run that season, and it was in week 5. Seattle prefers a do-it-all QB, but they have a history of making do with what they have.

Don't get me wrong, you bring up a solid point, I just don't think it's the kind of dealbreaker you make it out to be. It is a factor though, absolutely.

OP
OP
Z

zayden185

Reaction score
He also says we have structured him well with the cap...

A gm saying he isn't listening to offers? That's what they do...on the resume it says...

Must be willing to listen to offers!

One in the hand is worth two in bush

On the idea of development of another qb...how many teams are at the bottom of the league trying to develop a qb? A capable backup is hard to find

Aren't we don't that with kid in the practice squad? Or was he cut?

My point was essentially what Schneider said...not sweating the salary he has, but would you trade a potential starter for anything less than a second rounder? Chancellor and the others can't be restructured anyway for another year or longer under new CBA

A free agent defensive end will be the second highest salary on team...blowing up the core of our team for one position that may miss after her gets paid! He's rich beotch!

This is a QB driven league....and many teams are inept at QB

College is full of 4-5-6 round option qbs. At...a 3-4-5 round pick salary

SeaTown81

Reaction score
kearly":1xtfavdk said:
C Well, remember that Matt Hasselbeck was hardly a mobile QB. Even Tjack was basically used as a pure pocket passer- even before the injury Seattle was very hesitant to use him on designed runs. IIRC, the play that injured T-jack was his first designed run that season, and it was in week 5. Seattle prefers a do-it-all QB, but they have a history of making do with what they have.

Don't get me wrong, you bring up a solid point, I just don't think it's the kind of dealbreaker you make it out to be. It is a factor though, absolutely.

The Hawks have changed the way they do things a lot since Hass & TJack. They've changed things a lot since the preseason. Not saying that they can't adjust their gameplan for Flynn. But it isn't ideal when you're practicing one way all week, then asked to switch it all up.

pehawk

Reaction score
zayden185":3r7tnivw said:
The money was spent in signing bonus up front. That money is gone...all contracts are from loaded it seems.

There wasn't a market for him last year...and tht was without giving up picks!

Would YOU trade for Flynn...give up picks...and take his salary? His own offensive coordinator disnt even want him and had the chance

I'm REALLY getting bothered by this rationale. Last year was an OUTLIER year for QB's because of; Luck, RG3, Tannehill, and Weeden. Why WOULD the Dolphins NOT take one of those, under rookie CBA numbers, during a rebuilding year? OF COURSE they weren't going to take Flynn - nor should they have.

No offense, but I really hate this logic. It lacks a tao sense of how teams think, the 2012 draft class, the status of teams, etc. It's just plain ignorant.

Oh, and Manning.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
zayden185":2s0c1u0m said:
He also says we have structured him well with the cap...

A gm saying he isn't listening to offers? That's what they do...on the resume it says...

Must be willing to listen to offers!

One in the hand is worth two in bush

On the idea of development of another qb...how many teams are at the bottom of the league trying to develop a qb? A capable backup is hard to find

Aren't we don't that with kid in the practice squad? Or was he cut?

My point was essentially what Schneider said...not sweating the salary he has, but would you trade a potential starter for anything less than a second rounder? Chancellor and the others can't be restructured anyway for another year or longer under new CBA

A free agent defensive end will be the second highest salary on team...blowing up the core of our team for one position that may miss after her gets paid! He's rich beotch!

This is a QB driven league....and many teams are inept at QB

College is full of 4-5-6 round option qbs. At...a 3-4-5 round pick salary

No offense but that looks like a bunch of cluttered thoughts not a coherent argument. Im not sure what you're trying to get across...

Sturm

Reaction score
Trade Flynn for a good pick and bring back Portis to run the Option Read.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":2c019c2x said:
Well, remember that Matt Hasselbeck was hardly a mobile QB. Even Tjack was basically used as a pure pocket passer- even before the injury Seattle was very hesitant to use him on designed runs. IIRC, the play that injured T-jack was his first designed run that season, and it was in week 5. Seattle prefers a do-it-all QB, but they have a history of making do with what they have.

Yeah, to the tune of a defense-enhanced 7-9. Our receivers aren't timing/anticipation guys. I have to think that Flynn would have more value to Seattle by leaving it in favor of a mid-round draft pick and a mobile, zone-read-experienced QB.

Still not sure where he'd garner a respectable offer from, but if we could wrangle a 4th from Hoodie for Deion Branch, it can't be impossible.

Bipolar

Reaction score
Zowert":y98nmgsl said:
Who is going to trade for Matt Flynn though? The guy has been a backup his entire NFL career.

it's tough not to be a backup to Aaron Rodgers (#1 in NFL) and now Russell Wilson (top 10 in NFL).

In my opinion, he is a very good quality QB who just cannot get a freaking break (but at least he is getting paid well). he is 28 and he should be an NFL starter, so he will desperately seek any opportunity to start somewhere else.

652cHAWK

Reaction score
There are slim pickens in the upcoming draft for qb's, Flynn's as good as gone.

Zowert

Reaction score
docj78":3o2htn90 said:
Matt Flynn has shown he deserves a shot at starting in the NFL, and our team still has gaps to fill. Seems like a good plan to me, to trade him of. Plus free up cap room for some big FA's. Yeah it's nice to have a starter quality backup qb, but honestly, how many teams have one?????????

Flynn did have a shot at starting. It was an open competition between him and Wilson. Flynn technically had the advantage, being in the league for 4 years. Although he only has two NFL starts and a handful of drives from blowouts, it still counts as experience. Especially because his first NFL start was against the Patriots, and although the Packers lost that game, Flynn played well and kept the game close (throwing 3 TD's).

Not sure if Flynn was talented enough to beat Wilson out of a job. It was close at the time (now its not even close). But he certainly had the chance if he would've put 100% effort into it and then some.. But I think Matt was simply caught off guard. Not saying he didn't put forth effort, just that he figured he had the job in the bag. I know its not wise to do this, but almost anyone would've felt the same. Getting paid big money by a team [not 'Manning Contract' big, but still a good chunk of change], then told they would have to "compete" with a 5'11" rookie while keeping in mind the kid was a third round draft choice.

Anyway.. I think Flynn is good enough to be a starter for at least a handful of teams in the NFL. For some reason, I've had a funny feeling that the Dallas Cowboys are going to release Tony Romo this off-season. During which they probably plan on drafting a QB and signing one out of free agency. This is when someone in the Cowboys front office will think about a possible trade for a veteran quarterback to play while they develop their upcoming rookie QB. There are not a whole lot of choices out there, and Flynn has got to be the best one if they go the trade route.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Flynn end up down in Dallas. Flynn was born in Texas and he seems to be the style of quarterback the Cowboys would want.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure the team keeps Flynn or not, but they will need to have a viable option at backup. Look at the impact not having one did to both Indy and Chicago the year before. GMs lost their jobs because of Painter and whoever that scrub was for the Bears. Even this year for the Bears with Campbell having to play.

Just imagine the level of angst if something happens to the starter here with the certain Superbowl hype that will be going on all pre-season. Every talk radio and media center will be voicing displeasure in having no coherent backup plan.

The OC and HC would just have to tailor the offense to fit Flynn and scale back all the Wilson-specific play-calling. The principles of the offense should be able to handle the switch. The team already dropped Portis and briefly took a flyer on Johnson before letting him move on.

Is there a QB in the draft that they can get in the mid rounds to go along with Wilson? Cannot trade Flynn until you get a replacement in my estimation

Zowert

Reaction score
Bipolar":1nzjkj9f said:
Zowert":1nzjkj9f said:
Who is going to trade for Matt Flynn though? The guy has been a backup his entire NFL career.

it's tough not to be a backup to Aaron Rodgers (#1 in NFL) and now Russell Wilson (top 10 in NFL).

In my opinion, he is a very good quality QB who just cannot get a freaking break (but at least he is getting paid well). he is 28 and he should be an NFL starter, so he will desperately seek any opportunity to start somewhere else.

I think you're right. But I have been scratching my head over this ever since it became obvious that Flynn's contract wasn't worth having him as a backup in Seattle. After Russell Wilson's performance the last half of the season, there is no doubt that RW is the Seahawks franchise quarterback. I am almost certain Russ is going to retire a Seahawk. As long as the Hawks FO give him the money he deserves come contract negotiation time.

Anyway, that was a bit off course. What I mean is, where do you think Flynn will end up? If you have no clue, then do you have a rough guess as to which team(s) will at least pursue him? I don't know why, but I have been thinking Dallas. They're done with Romo and the way their management works, they don't like to put their season in the hands of a rookie. They're an organization that wants to and must win (demanding fanbase) every season. No rebuilding, or sacrificing a season to allow a rookie QB to play and make the adjustment from NCAA to NFL speed and style of football. Therefore, Dallas is going to look for a veteran QB that can win games while whoever they draft this year does the usual 2-3 season development routine.

Matt Flynn is a QB that could be good for Dallas. From his 2 starts and various other drives from a handful of games over the last 5 seasons now. He hasn't shown many (if any) weaknesses. Serious ones at least. His first NFL start was against the Patriots and he was able to put up three touchdown passes, to keep Green Bay in the game before they barely lost. His second start, against the Lions, he played very well too. Every preseason, he has been consistent. So... I'd say Flynn works for Dallas. Its up to them to pursue him. I mean, who else would they go after if they're going to replace Romo..?