Another 3-5 round LEO? Maponga DE/Olb TCU

kearly

Reaction score
I can't find anything decent to evaluate him on as a pass rusher, but he's a "football player", that's for sure. He smacks the shit out of people.

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Could be some good value late, I'm going to keep my eye on this guy. Seems like a player John would pick in the 3rd round and everyone would be scratching their heads.

That play on Griffin, ran him down, forced the fumble, then ran to recover it, pretty slick play.

Here is another play where he beats the RT pretty good with some speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBQRsqpvLM&NR=1

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Geez this guy can set the edge, I don't know who Texas lined up on him but it didn't matter cause he tore them up on the right side and they couldn't get around him.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not saying this to bash him, but his profile reads like a future UDFA. Poor freshman production. Good but not great Sophomore production. Poor Junior production. Skips senior year to declare for draft. Teams are generally wary of players who skip their Senior year coming off a down season, as am I. His technique and effort level leave a lot to be desired too.

That said, I'd love to take a flyer on him. He can really sneak up on you with his acceleration and his speed is good for his size. Shows strength and good arm use. Seems under-coached. Could be a good project for Carroll.

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I hear you, it's going to be tough to get that perfect prospect where we are picking, but he was good in that game against Texas. Trying to find some more info on this guy and other games to watch. Fields, the other end, and was just a freshman this year but is a beast and might have drawn more attention from opposing game plans giving him one on one matchups.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
Got him graded in the 6th - 7th round for exactly the reasons that kearly gave and there's other players in that bracket I'd rather pick up.

Though you never know

hai

Reaction score
kearly":13majhzu said:
I'm not saying this to bash him, but his profile reads like a future UDFA. Poor freshman production. Good but not great Sophomore production. Poor Junior production. Skips senior year to declare for draft. Teams are generally wary of players who skip their Senior year coming off a down season, as am I. His technique and effort level leave a lot to be desired too.

That said, I'd love to take a flyer on him. He can really sneak up on you with his acceleration and his speed is good for his size. Shows strength and good arm use. Seems under-coached. Could be a good project for Carroll.
Also refering back to your production, it seems to me JS&PC doesn't really care about the productivity of the player last season unlike Ruskell, i can easily refer back to Bruce Irvin, who had a helluva year at the 4-3 scheme then he did 3-4, and his special speed at 6-3 just cemented the pick in the 1st round. The speculation by Rob Rang clearly shows a great season when he was allowed to one on one with anyone with his play-making ability of forcing 7 fumbles in 2 season. Still productive with 6.5 TFL and 4 sacks. And comparing to Leroy Hill with only 40 something tackles, even though he missed some games, still not productive, and just knowing that Maponga could be double team just allows other to make plays.
And what i hear a lot from PC is technique, i just wish there was more videos of him, he definitively has the big size to seal that edge maybe for our LEO(Irvin the guy who needs to improve in the run game).

"The 6-foot-2, 265 pound Maponga wasn't the consistent dominating presence in 2012 that he'd proven to be during a breakout sophomore campaign a year earlier and ranks just 11th on NFLDraftScout.com's list of the top pass rushers from the 2014 draft class. The focus of every opponent's blocking scheme, Maponga was frequently double-teamed and struggled with a nagging foot injury, which forced him to miss two full games and half of another. As a result, Maponga's numbers dropped significantly across the board. After posting 55 tackles, including 13.5 tackles for loss and nine sacks in 2011, his numbers dropped to "just" 26 tackles, including 6.5 tackles for loss and four sacks this past season. While Maponga's numbers slipped, he was overshadowed by the development of true freshman Devonte Fields, who capitalized on single blocking to earn the Big 12's AP Defensive Player of the Year honors with 18.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks." By Rob Rang