Assuming Flynn's traded - who do you want?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":173n6fl4 said:
JSeahawks":173n6fl4 said:
Dennis Dixon.

Bastard.

You like Darron Thomas better? He could be had on the cheap!

Actually i was being mostly serious about Dixon though. I think he's a pretty ideal backup. And to be honest, I dont expect Wilson to miss more then a handful of games in the next 10 years. He's just not a guy that puts himself in position to get injured, even though he's a running QB.

And for the record, i'd be ecstatic if we drafted Denard Robinson. But not as a QB. I see him as a returner and maybe a safety or cornerback.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Where was Dixon last year? Out of the league, right? Thats my concern.

I'm not opposed.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":77p3q0d1 said:
Where was Dixon last year? Out of the league, right? Thats my concern.

I'm not opposed.

I thought he was backing up Joe Flacco in Baltimore? But, I guess I might be wrong, havnt really followed him that closely.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Dennis Dixon was on and off of Baltimore's PS this season and hasn't attempted an NFL pass since week 2 of the 2010 season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Vince Young would be a great backup. Seneca Wallace is old side but I think he may thrive in the read option offense. TJack train has left the station. Unless Tjack has gained immense decision making ability, he's a no go. No one on that list sticks out. Matt Scott of Arizona may be a potential mid-round pick (4 - 6 rounds) in the draft.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SDHawk":2qbfvzrs said:
If we get Tebow, we go from media darling to media circus. Don't want the distraction.

Tebow also won't buy in unless he has a legit shot to win the job and be the starter. He should think about UFL or CFL
Well... I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to suggest it would be a distraction. I just don't see it. It was a distraction for the NYJ because they handled it all wrong. The media + the coaching staff lying to him. I think it's being a bit optimistic to say that the Seahawks are a media darling team. There were some who had to speak well of them (perhaps even though they didn't want to). Where I live... everyone hates the Seahawks. I have to put up with it all the time. They treat the Seahawks like a 2nd class team from a 2nd class city. My suggestion would be a very specific role (one that has been talked about with Tebow... to play FB or some other position that would maximize his strengths.) Tebow is a class individual and the only distraction would be what the media would try to project upon the team. What else is new? That doesn't bother Pete and it certainly doesn't bother the likes of Sherman, etc. If the guy adds another weapon... Seattle could be even more envied. I must admit that I wouldn't mind seeing a few southeasterners give the Seahawks some love because of their fondness for Tebow. Tebow is NOT T.O. Plus... NO ONE is going to say that he's going to Seattle to supplant Russell Wilson (nor would Wilson feel threatened like Mark Sanchez may have been.) Tebow would be a great teammate. Really, I can't see a negative. Sorry, I don't buy the distraction reason. Just doesn't fly. But... Seahawks fans... probably not worth discussing any further as it's just hypothetical. Just my 2 cents.

davidonmi

Reaction score
my list
Matt Moore
Chase Daniel
Vince Young
Tim Tebow (as a last resort)
Draft

Thunderbird

Reaction score
pehawk":2z74kqg0 said:
I know some will want to keep Flynn, but I think he gets traded. It makes to much cap sense, and it also goes along with this FO doing "right" by their players.

Flynn wants to start, and I think the Seahawks FO will do whatever they can, within reason, to facilitate Flynn's preference. I'm a proud Seahawks fan for a lot of reasons, but I was really proud of how the FO treated Tavaris last preseason. He was traded instead of being released outright; to give him some dignity (maybe there's a better word choice there) on the way out. Tjax EARNED that type of exit...he's one classy and tough SOB.

With all that, who would YOU want the Seahawks to bring in to back up Wilson? To keep this hypothetical within reasonable boundaries lets restrict it to 1 vet FA and 1 late round draft pick. Here’s a list of FA’s;

Brian Hoyer – ARI
Luke McCown – ATL
Joe Flacco – BAL
Tarvaris Jackson – BUF
Tyler Thigpen – BUF
Derek Anderson – CAR
Jason Campbell – CHI
Josh McCown – CHI
Bruce Gradkowski – CIN
Drew Stanton – IND
Brady Quinn – KC
Pat Devlin – MIA – (Ex)
Matt Moore – MIA
Chase Daniel – NO
David Carr – NYG
Matt Leinart – OAK
Charlie Batch – PIT
Byron Leftwich – PIT
Kellen Clemens – STL
Rex Grossman – WAS
Vince Young – FA
Sage Rosenfels – FA
Seneca Wallace – FA
Donovan McNabb – FA
A.J. Feeley – FA
Troy Smith – FA
Chris Redman – FA
John Beck – FA
Stephen McGee – FA
Jordan Palmer – FA
J.P. Loseman – FA

Of those, I’d LOVE Chase Daniels – but it would be a lateral move for him. So, as much as he’s ripped here, I’d prefer Tjack.

For the developmental QB, I’d REALLY prefer Denard Robinson just to be a nice toy. But, there’s no way I’d trust him to play a game or two at the position. So, I’m going to go Colin Klein or….crybaby’s brother Jordan Rogers. Picking Rogers on a gut hunch. So my QB depth chart would be;

1)Wilson
2)Tjack
3)JRogers

You?

After giving this some thought I am going to say that I would not one player on this list. I have not read the whole thread yet (maybe this has been suggested already).

We trade up and sacrifice some picks--on top of money--to get the most elite replacements that we can find for some aging, but elite players. The one to two years they have to acclimate to this team should be perfect. I am thinking about a replacement for Marshawn in a couple years. Or--even better--maybe some new big guys (on both sides) like Star Lotulelei (DT) or Chance Warmack (OG). Those lads would be awesome...the only question is who needs someone like Flynn, some cash and maybe some later draft picks?

umm...

The Jags
The Chiefs
The Jets
Philly?
The Cards (Bad trade because Flynn knows where the bodies are buried--IOW, he knows our DNA)
The Bills?

Who knows? We have a shit load of bargaining power right now. I cannot remember a time when the Hawks held such beautiful, high-ground. Every room that Pete and John walk into this off-season, they immediately hold the advantage and can run the table. They are in a place to build the perfect and young beast, that will last for years to come.

I have the flu right now, so I maybe speaking another language, but getting this off my chest seems to be making me feel a little better. Well, this, NyQuil, my lady and this stuff I just picked up called Northern Lights.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
2. I think Seneca would thrive in this offense and he would never complain about being a back up I always really liked him and wanted him to succeed. :3: Now drool over Russ and Seneca pulling a little misdirection/wildcat/fleeflicker action. of course senecas like 83 now but very little use on him no hard miles on him anyway.

3. Matt Jones QB AZ - is very athletic and has enjoyed his greatest success when rolling out and forcing defenders to account for his legs, while also possessing the arm strength and touch to scorch them if they lose coverage responsibilities. (Wilson Jr.)

Thunderbird

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":3jb3ual2 said:
2. I think Seneca would thrive in this offense and he would never complain about being a back up I always really liked him and wanted him to succeed. :3: Now drool over Russ and Seneca pulling a little misdirection/wildcat/fleeflicker action. of course senecas like 83 now but very little use on him no hard miles on him anyway.

3. Matt Jones QB AZ - is very athletic and has enjoyed his greatest success when rolling out and forcing defenders to account for his legs, while also possessing the arm strength and touch to scorch them if they lose coverage responsibilities. (Wilson Jr.)

What about the big guys, on both sides of the ball? You know, a couple of young stars willing to learn the system and make this team that much closer to being complete.

We have so many options right now, but we need two more big, durable and smart brawlers.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I see a pretty large step down from Flynn to Vince Young. The reason why we are talking about being able to trade Flynn is because he is one of the better backups in the NFL, and you are going from that to a player who was not on an NFL roster this season.

lukerguy":3fkrg7tt said:
The problem with this, my friend, is PC didn't say he wanted an experienced backup...he said he wanted someone who could do the things that RW can do, and that even Flynn can't do those things. He wants someone who's mobile. The read option really would be foreign to all veteran guys that you could sign- hell it was new to the NFL before Cam Newton.
I addressed this earlier; Pete's comments along these lines struck me as in regards to the draft and were made in close proximity to him talking about the 10 draft picks. It makes perfect sense to take developmental guys that can excel in our system, but that does not exclude a veteran backup filling the #2 slot.

lukerguy":3fkrg7tt said:
So, that to say, I value a veteran back up, but if PC wants a mobile QB, I would sure has heck rather draft a guy and hope he can learn than sign someone like Tavaris or V.Young.
I only see two possibilities if we go with a rookie as our #2 this season. We could prepare him to start NFL games if needed by giving him a lot of snaps in the preseason that could otherwise be going to Wilson. Alternatively, we could give those snaps to Wilson anyway and risk having a completely under prepared rookie starting at the most important position on our team. Neither one of these seems like a good idea to me. Am I missing a possibility?

Atradees

Reaction score
Seneca Wallace? You people need to put down the bong! Boo..drugs are bad!

Keep Flynn. No bad assumptions!

Let me edit to elaborate...and not "attack the man".

The front office loves having a quality quarterback problem.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":3psbjm2c said:
brimsalabim":3psbjm2c said:
Adam Schefter on ESPN just stated that there doesn't seem to be any interest in Flynn as a possible starter any where around the league with the possible exception of the Chiefs.

Andy Reid - makes perfect sense if he goes for Flynn and I think he would make him a success
Yeah Flynn would be a good choice for a true west coast system. I think he's a great fit with Reid and vice versa.

zhawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":368gz2n4 said:
pcbball12":368gz2n4 said:
Matt Moore would be ideal. I would even consider Troy Smith....only because Pete talked about getting a backup that can do some of the things Russ can do. To me that means they are looking for a little athleticism. From the draft, I want Taylor Martinez as a project/3rd string guy (If he were to declare, which it is probably likely he returns for his senior year). Perfect skill set to run a similar offense if Russ were to go down.
Unless we hear there is actual interest in trading for him... I'm more thinking that Flynn sticks around for at least another year in the backup role. But, to play along with all this for fun... this post makes the most sense to me. I've been thinking Matt Moore for awhile (ever since rumors started about a possible Flynn trade at the end of the season. But, Troy Smith and Martinez are also good calls. Are there other athletic QB's like Martinez if he doesn't declare? I'm going to hear howls of protest for saying this... but, here goes. IF Flynn is traded... I really, truly, seriously wouldn't mind seeing us bring in (gulp) Tim Tebow. I just think that of all the teams, Seattle would be the healthiest place for him and I think he and Russell Wilson would get along GREAT. Tebow could probably be talked into playing a TE / HB role like (if anyone remembers this guy...) Jim Jensen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jensen_(wide_receiver) Tebow could be the backup QB and Michael Robinson could be an emergency 3rd Stringer. I know, I know... some are going to say that's not enough QB's with arms for an NFL team. But, I just don't think Russell Wilson is replaceable. We're not going to get another Russell Wilson (or highly unlikely). I'm not saying that I want Tebow on the team just to have him on the team. I think he's a great football player... just not a great QB. Perhaps he could be serviceable if absolutely needed. I think Pete could be the positive coach that could get through to him to help him realize his potential as a football player... and perhaps guard him from the media (though, it's Tebow.) Perhaps some of that would take care of itself because they would want to interview RW instead. But, if they wanted Tebow interviews instead... maybe that gives RW even more time to gameplan to tear apart other teams. Ok... don't throw me under the bus for saying Tim Tebow. Just throwing it out there. Maybe it would work, maybe not. Might not be worth the circus, though. Pete doesn't seem to be afraid to bring players in to try (T.O., etc.)

sorry. but I like tebow and I can buy into this. tebow and Wilson would get along famously. :179422:

The Battle #83

Reaction score
Tebow. Jets messed up by making him bulk up. Him running the read option to give Wilson a breather will keep Wilson fresh in the playoffs

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the problem I see is either mental or physical, Many of the others are athletes but are missing something or would have been higher rated starters or projected starters in the works.

For a back up I think we need mental smarts and work ethic from there you then have to pick your physical poisens. Biggest aspect is that we don't want to be one dimentional if something were to happen to Wilson, we don't have to use the read option, but it would be nice to have someone that could use it and function in it.

The other possible choice is a trade, Sanchez for Flynn, I feel won't happen because of his contract, same with Vick. I think keeping Flynn for another year is more practical if we are truly wanting to push for going for it next year.