Assuming Flynn's traded - who do you want?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Renfree, interesting. I like the fact he played for that staff. And, he certainly fits the projection of 3rd day.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I think you want a mobile QB like RW so he can run the same type of offense if RW gets hurt. A guy who fits that mould is is Tyler Thigpen in Buffalo. He is an athletic QB who had a lot of success out of the pistol offense in KC during the 2008-09 season, and knows how to run around. He ran for almost 400 yards that season and passed for 2600 yards in about 12-14 games.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like TJ, and in a pinch Rex Grossman has lots of play action and bootleg experience.

Today on Sirius John Schneider did say they will be open to offers on Flynn.

As for Schefter's tweet, there is no market forquarterbacks right now. None. Because right now, there is no market for anyone. And until head coaching jobs are all filled, and free agency is about to begin, the market will not develop much. When some teams began to realize they aren't likely to get some coveted rookie, a market for Flynn will open. Jacksonville, Arizona, Raiders (who need to get cap room and ditching Palmer will help get that room), KC, Jets, Buffalo, all places that may want his services.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ezre5dy said:
I like TJ, and in a pinch Rex Grossman has lots of play action and bootleg experience.

Dude, tell me you're joking on Grossman. Please? I understand, you guys each have the same "I'm surprised" eyebrow expression, but, no, Scott.

What's happening? What is this world coming to? You call grossman RG3, and got offended when Bob Griffin stole that monicker, huh?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":14nbn8kq said:
Scottemojo":14nbn8kq said:

Dude, tell me you're joking on Grossman. Please? I understand, you guys each have the same "I'm surprised" eyebrow expression, but, no, Scott.

What's happening? What is this world coming to? You call grossman RG3, and got offended when Bob Griffin stole that monicker, huh?
Dead serious. Rex has an under rated deep ball and a great play action fake. Yes, he is completely daft, but he has the tools for our system. In a pinch.

I knew this would get flamed. I am still right.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Jeff Blake had a great deep ball too. As good as Rexies deep ball.

He does have a good deep ball, yes. I just haven't seen him do a thing outside of that.

I'm sorry Scott, we're officially through now. I'm going to start seeing other posters. No, no, no dont look at me like that. It's not you, its me.

Any draft guys that got your fancy?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Chase Daniel isn't going to leave the Saints and they want him back. He knows he's a backup no matter who he plays for, he's happy in N.O., is very close to Drew Breess, and likes being near his home in Texas where he has a successful t-shirt business on the side.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Agree on Daniels - very lateral move.

And, back to Scott, I still think Seneca's deep ball is better than Rex's. Of course, 9/10 times the ball was dropped by the band of misfits he played with those years. But, it was good.

lukerguy

Reaction score
AgentDib":3tuw7syj said:
lukerguy":3tuw7syj said:
I'll spend a 4-5th rounder as our back up to make sure he's cheap, and can run the same stuff RW runs. EJ Manuel fits the bill for me.
How many snaps do you give that 4th-5th rounder rookie then in order to make sure he knows what to do if called on? Would EJ Manuel be ready to win NFL games as a rookie in a new system even if we gave him half of the snaps in training camp? Finally, how much does giving that many snaps to somebody besides Russell Wilson for the second consecutive year slow down Wilson's growth as our franchise QB? I know that sounds like a lot of questions, but I am stunned by all the fans that put little to no value in having a veteran backup.

The problem with this, my friend, is PC didn't say he wanted an experienced backup...he said he wanted someone who could do the things that RW can do, and that even Flynn can't do those things. He wants someone who's mobile. The read option really would be foreign to all veteran guys that you could sign- hell it was new to the NFL before Cam Newton.

So, that to say, I value a veteran back up, but if PC wants a mobile QB, I would sure has heck rather draft a guy and hope he can learn than sign someone like Tavaris or V.Young.

chawx

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a God, and therefore will never get injured, not only are we wasting cap space by having a back-up for him, but also 1 or even 2 roster spots for another pass-rusher and/or defensive tackle.

If for some reason, Russell has to sit a play or two.. or whatever... Mike Rob can be the QB.

/thread

Laloosh

Reaction score
While I can appreciate wanting someone "like" RW that "do some of the things" that RW can do, it's not going to be easy to find that. Athleticism, accuracy and brains in one package is something we've needed for years. Just got lucky...

Find a guy that can make reads, throw accurately and won't turn the ball over. I don't care if he can run a 4.4 forty. We have a running game, supplement RW's absence during injury w/ a passing threat that doesn't make us one-dimensional. Nothing could be worse than having an athletic QB that can't pass. Might as well get Tebow if that's the approach.

First post, hi all.

SDHawk

Reaction score
pehawk, you know I'm on board with the Denard Robinson idea, whom we can get in the 6th round.

TJ would probably be one of the cheaper options out there and I like that he is familiar with the system and players. He would do just fine as a backup.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Robinsons going to climb up draft boards, IMO. He's this years Devin Hester and think like him he'll be taken in the 3rd.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pcbball12":207pp3pz said:
Matt Moore would be ideal. I would even consider Troy Smith....only because Pete talked about getting a backup that can do some of the things Russ can do. To me that means they are looking for a little athleticism. From the draft, I want Taylor Martinez as a project/3rd string guy (If he were to declare, which it is probably likely he returns for his senior year). Perfect skill set to run a similar offense if Russ were to go down.
Unless we hear there is actual interest in trading for him... I'm more thinking that Flynn sticks around for at least another year in the backup role. But, to play along with all this for fun... this post makes the most sense to me. I've been thinking Matt Moore for awhile (ever since rumors started about a possible Flynn trade at the end of the season. But, Troy Smith and Martinez are also good calls. Are there other athletic QB's like Martinez if he doesn't declare? I'm going to hear howls of protest for saying this... but, here goes. IF Flynn is traded... I really, truly, seriously wouldn't mind seeing us bring in (gulp) Tim Tebow. I just think that of all the teams, Seattle would be the healthiest place for him and I think he and Russell Wilson would get along GREAT. Tebow could probably be talked into playing a TE / HB role like (if anyone remembers this guy...) Jim Jensen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jensen_(wide_receiver) Tebow could be the backup QB and Michael Robinson could be an emergency 3rd Stringer. I know, I know... some are going to say that's not enough QB's with arms for an NFL team. But, I just don't think Russell Wilson is replaceable. We're not going to get another Russell Wilson (or highly unlikely). I'm not saying that I want Tebow on the team just to have him on the team. I think he's a great football player... just not a great QB. Perhaps he could be serviceable if absolutely needed. I think Pete could be the positive coach that could get through to him to help him realize his potential as a football player... and perhaps guard him from the media (though, it's Tebow.) Perhaps some of that would take care of itself because they would want to interview RW instead. But, if they wanted Tebow interviews instead... maybe that gives RW even more time to gameplan to tear apart other teams. Ok... don't throw me under the bus for saying Tim Tebow. Just throwing it out there. Maybe it would work, maybe not. Might not be worth the circus, though. Pete doesn't seem to be afraid to bring players in to try (T.O., etc.)

Paschtorian

Reaction score
On Draft Day 2013,........

........it will be,...........

....Matt Flynn, Doug Baldwin, and our first-round pick,......

.......for Philadelphia's first-rounder and Michael Vick.

Add Seneca Wallace to the mix (for league minimum) as our clipboard carrier.

At the #4 pick in this year's draft, Carroll and Schneider can wheel-'an-deal to their hearts' delight. There are gems to be had with multiple picks in the later rounds.

In John and Pete We Trust.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd take Tebow in a hearbeat.

It'd be kind of sad. 7-4 as a starter, he deserves a shot, somewhere.

SDHawk

Reaction score
If we get Tebow, we go from media darling to media circus. Don't want the distraction.

Tebow also won't buy in unless he has a legit shot to win the job and be the starter. He should think about UFL or CFL

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I would pluck Chandler Harnish off the Colts practice squad.