Why I am rooting for the 49ers the rest of the way

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I've noticed that most people here are pulling for the Falcons next week. I'm rooting for the 49ers for a few reasons:

#1: There is a well established trend of Superbowl winners declining the next season. Maybe it's purely psychological, I don't know. But teams tend to let down the next season after they win it. Even the exceptions (2011 Green Bay and 2008 Giants) had quick exits in the postseason.

#2: There is an even more established trend of Superbowl losers declining the next season. An astonishingly high number of Superbowl losers missed the playoffs the next season.

#3: They would have a slightly lower draft pick. You never know, sometimes a couple spots in the draft can a huge difference. I'm still getting over Cameron Jordan / James Carpenter in 2011. SF picked 30th last year and had a terrible draft.

#4: It ratchets up the SF-SEA rivalry to a new high next season.

#5: SF is representing our division. One way to get respect is if people respect the NFC West more.

Sure, Harbaugh is a douche, but I don't really care who wins. I just want whatever situation benefits the Seahawks the most, and I think that SF winning does that. Anything, no matter how small, that helps Seattle's division chances next year is worth rooting for, I think.

Anyway, I'm sure 90% of you will disagree, but those are my :twocents:
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Reason #1 why I'm rooting for the Falcons. This is the only rebuttal necessary as far as I'm concerned.

49ers fans.

Though #2, Jim Harbaugh, might be a good follow up.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• So we're rooting for them to make the SB, but get blown out by the Pats?

I like it.........
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• all nonsense.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I hope they get blown out vs. ATL, have a terrible draft and decline next season.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• I just can't.............
    Treefiddy
    NET Rookie

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Reason #1 why I'm rooting for the Falcons. This is the only rebuttal necessary as far as I'm concerned.

49ers fans.

This...not going to root for the devil cause it might help us. I think we'll take care of things ourselves next year, regardless.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:So we're rooting for them to make the SB, but get blown out by the Pats?

I like it.........

he said 'rest of the way' meaning a seahawks fan wants the 49ers to hoist the lombardi trophy.

Which is probably one of the dumber things I've heard.

Do you think any bears fans wanted to see the Packers win it all this year? or vice versa? Absolutely, positively, no freaking way. Because they have tradition and pride. It's time we found some.

I won't even be watching the SB if the 49ers make it. For the first time in as long as I can remember.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• how about 5 more years of losing in the NFC championship game instead?
    that would surely get the whiner fans fired up
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Sigh....I want the season back. I'm not mentally prepared for 6+ months of these threads.

:49ersmall:

:177692:

:141847_bnono:

:34853_doh:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I want anything that hastens the eventual Harbaugh explosion and having Kaepernick mess up in the NFC Championship game would make for a rather delightful post conference, don't you think?
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Hawknballs wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:So we're rooting for them to make the SB, but get blown out by the Pats?

I like it.........

he said 'rest of the way' meaning a seahawks fan wants the 49ers to hoist the lombardi trophy.

Which is probably one of the dumber things I've heard.

Do you think any bears fans wanted to see the Packers win it all this year? or vice versa? Absolutely, positively, no freaking way. Because they have tradition and pride. It's time we found some.

I won't even be watching the SB if the 49ers make it. For the first time in as long as I can remember.

I thought so LOL. The super bowl losers get screwed over more than the winners (a LOT more) so I hope they get blown out in the SB, and Kaepernick cries with Harbaugh while Tom Brady scores endless touchdowns on them.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• i hear what you're saying Kearly, but i just cannot bring myself to even pretend to want the niners to win....

if they make it to the SB, and hopefully they won't, i will sadly be rooting for the AFC this year...

that's why i'm hoping the Falcons take care of business.... let the offseason play out as it may, we'll settle it on the field next season...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I want to see the Falcons tear the Digits a new one. I don't disagree with kearly's points, and unlike many here, I don't care if someone chooses to root for the Digits in this situation. But I would really like to see the response from Digit fans if they drop two NFCCG's in a row. It would be even sweeter if the loss involves a couple of special teams snafus.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Never.
    Root.
    For.
    The.
    Niners.

EVER.

The last thing I want is some Niner Fan in here, waving their SIXTH trophy while we have none.
    At least those insufferable bastards shut up when I say "quit living in the good old VHS days of your Super Bowls."
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:I want to see the Falcons tear the Digits a new one. I don't disagree with kearly's points, and unlike many here, I don't care if someone chooses to root for the Digits in this situation. But I would really like to see the response from Digit fans if they drop two NFCCG's in a row. It would be even sweeter if the loss involves a couple of special teams snafus.

I'd rather special teams be the only thing that keeps them in it,while Kaepernick shits the bed multiple times. Then again, it would be cool for them to lead most of the game 26-20, and then Matt Ryan get the ball back with 2:00 to go and methodically crush all the 9er fans dreams....
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Rooting for the 49ers to win the superbowl makes you a terrible fan.

Sorry but it's true.

They are our biggest rival. To hope for them to win it all is completely asinine.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.

There is just no way that some "possible trends" of superbowl winners justifies rooting for your arch enemy.

You really want to see Harbaugh smiling and holding up the trophy with kapernick prancing around like a lady dear in the background?

the thought of that makes me sick. If it doesn't make you sick you may want to evaluate your allegiance to your team.

What do you think a seahawks player would say if you told them that's how you want the season to end? The 49ers celebrating their trophy. Give me a break.
    Last edited by Hawknballs on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:I've noticed that most people here are pulling for the Falcons next week. I'm rooting for the 49ers for a few reasons:

#1: There is a well established trend of Superbowl winners declining the next season. Maybe it's purely psychological, I don't know. But teams tend to let down the next season after they win it. Even the exceptions (2011 Green Bay and 2008 Giants) had quick exits in the postseason.

If they win a super bowl, they have accomplished the entire point of the game. Win won so they fall into a coincidental streak of teams not winning another? NE, Pitt and NY have all won multiple recently, so Im not sure what good having them win it all does, other than give them bragging rights.

kearly wrote:#5: SF is representing our division. One way to get respect is if people respect the NFC West more.

No they aren't, and no it doesn't. If they win, are you going to say "Boy, those Cardinals really aren't so bad!" Do you think more of the Cowyboys, Jets, or Browns because NY, NE, and Pitt have won recent super bowls? Didn't think so.

Would you have pulled for Oakland 10 years ago?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Sure, why not. I enjoy getting kicked in the nuts. :34853_doh:

:49ersmall:
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I can't believe someone as smart as kearly would actually post this thread.

Off season trolling? Has to be, right?
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Hawknballs wrote:Rooting for the 49ers to win the superbowl makes you a terrible fan.

Sorry but it's true.
    ...... If it doesn't make you sick you may want to evaluate your allegiance to your team.

True fan debate can lead to a ban. The OP may not reflect what most think but questioning fanhood is not tolerated. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Reason #1 why I'm rooting for the Falcons. This is the only rebuttal necessary as far as I'm concerned.

49ers fans.

I definitely get where Kearly is coming from but this is where I'm at too.
    SuperHawks
    NET Starter

• drdiags wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:Rooting for the 49ers to win the superbowl makes you a terrible fan.

Sorry but it's true.
    ...... If it doesn't make you sick you may want to evaluate your allegiance to your team.

True fan debate can lead to a ban. The OP may not reflect what most think but questioning fanhood is not tolerated. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware.

ok. Thanks, I wasn't aware. Sounds ridiculous but good to know. If questioning "Fanhood" is a bannable offense, saying you want the 49ers to win the superbowl should lead to your complete removal from the worldwideweb. JUST SAYIN.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I've been kind of feeling the same way myself, kearly

Plus if it happens maybe we'll play them opening night 8)
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran

• A Niner SB victory would make their fans that crawl around here even more intolerable than they already are. I'd like to see long suffering Falcon fans enjoy a SB win. They seemed like good folk.
    Mandu
    NET Starter

• Hawknballs wrote:ok. Thanks, I wasn't aware. Sounds ridiculous but good to know. If questioning "Fanhood" is a bannable offense, saying you want the 49ers to win the superbowl should lead to your complete removal from the worldwideweb. JUST SAYIN.

We can agree on this. :thirishdrinkers:
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I'm rooting for ATL all the way(2nd fave team) but, I think the Whiners will win and I"ll root for them in the SB for a number of reasons, including many of those listed in the OP.

Personally, my dad grew up in Santa Clara and I was born there as well, and grew up loving the Hawks and the Niners(Joe Montana, Jerry Rice) and HATING the Raiders(old AFC west).

I can never root for Tom Brady to win any game ever, unless it immediately helps the Hawks...and even after then, I need a shower. So I'm rooting for Ray "I killed a guy" Lewis, but I expect the Chowderheads to win that game and play the Niners in the SB. Gotta go with the Whiners for divisional dominance, and their impending decline.

Their 1, will pale in comparison to the 3 or 4 we're going to win over the next decade.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

• I'm trying to picture some guy sitting there in california wearing his patric willis jersey typing away on his computer on the 49ers forum saying "Yaknow, I'd really like Seattle to hoist the lombardi trophy this year! Then they will be overconfident and because of a mostly random series of luck they could be bad for a long time! Go Seahawks!"

I can't picture that. Because it's ridiculous.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• CrimsonWazzu wrote:I can never root for Tom Brady to win any game ever,.

I don't like to see Brady win either, but Brady winning is pretty much harmless, he already has his legacy. Him winning another SB is about as close as you get in football to the yankees winning another world series. you hate to see it happen but it's also not really going to change the legacy one way or another.

the 49ers haven't been this good since steve young was the QB, to want to see them get back to that level and validate it with a trophy now that they are your arch rival? No.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• You are as wrong about this as you were right about Russell Wilson.

I am wiping this from my memory to preserve my good opinion of your writing.
    Pete Carroll + John Schneider = Always Compete
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

• I want Atlanta to lose cause they knocked us out.
    Keyhawk
    NET Rookie

• Keyhawk wrote:I want Atlanta to lose cause they knocked us out.

this makes even less sense, almost.

Don't you want the team that knocked you out to prove they were worthy of being a championship team?

Youd rather have them show they were good enough to beat you but not good enough to get the job done?

my list of who I want to win:

1.) Ravens
    2.) Falcons
    937.) Patriots
    74,210.) 49ers
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I would rather they not make it and wait til next year when we make it. Then the West and the league can respect us while gunning for us.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• Why I am not rooting for the 49ers the rest of the way:

1. I Effing hate them.

2. See 1.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I have never been able to root for Tom Brady or the Pats...even their last two Superbowl appearances I was able to muster up enough nerve to root for the Giants (and I can't stand Eli). But if it turns into a 9ers - Pats Superbowl this year you bet your ass I'm rooting for the Pats. Never will I ever hope for a 9ers Superbowl win. Just can't do it.
    Largefarva
    NET Rookie

• I hate all the teams that are left, I was rooting for the Texans because I hate them least.

Now it's either the ravens or falcons, ravens preferably.

Niners? never, ever, ever, everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ever.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• Once my sports teams lose out of a tournament, I move my interest toward either the underdog team that happens to be having a cinderella season, or I look to a team that for one reason or another has always done well, but has just missed it.

As for how I feel about the 49'ers, let's say it could be classified as a deep hatred. They've had their dynasty in the NFL. Although I understand Kip's logic, I think I'll take my chances in this year's draft and will count on Russell having the polar opposite of a sophomore slump next year.

The aforementioned having been communicated, Go Falcons!
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I hope Atlanta wins by 45
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

49ers fans.

:13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13:

Sorry, Kip. Couldn't disagree with your reasoning more.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:Once my sports teams lose out of a tournament, I move my interest toward either the underdog team that happens to be having a cinderella season, or I look to a team that for one reason or another has always done well, but has just missed it.

As for how I feel about the 49'ers, let's say it could be classified as a deep hatred. They've had their dynasty in the NFL. Although I understand Kip's logic, I think I'll take my chances in this year's draft and will count on Russell having the polar opposite of a sophomore slump next year.

The aforementioned having been communicated, Go Falcons!

:13: Kip means the best, I have no doubt he bleeds Seahawks gunmetal blue and electric green. It's just that the Niners are scum. Well at least 94.8 percent of them.

Therefore, :49ersmall:
    And I only say Ravens, because I am still mad that the Falcons eliminated us. I dont really like the Ravens either, and am glad that stupid dance Lewis does will cease to exist.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• Hey Kearly, I suppose you don't have a 49 fan brother in law, huh?... I do... :49ersmall: :177692: :pukeface:
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

• Well Kip you lost me completely.

If you think they won't make our lives here even more miserable then you've also lost your mind.

I hope this doesn't mean you'll be posting "random thoughts about the ninnirs game" on this forum. Seems you prefer to post in the NFL Forum from now on.

:141847_bnono:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Keyhawk wrote:I want Atlanta to lose cause they knocked us out.

Ouch. If the Niners lose the Super Bowl but beat Atlanta, we will have them here all off season gloating and rubbing our nose in it. If they were to go onto to win the Super Bowl in addition to beating Atlanta, they will use that all off season long as evidence they are the better team and our victory over them was a fluke. I think I might randomly start shooting Niner fans just to calm my nerves. Actually I might do that anyway.

I hope Atlanta beats the Digits and leaves no doubt about it. Further I hope they go on to win the Super Bowl so at minimum we can say we only lost to the best team and nearly took them out in their house. Unfortunately I believe the Falcons spent all their energy getting by us and even if they have something left in the tank, we provided a very good blue print that second half of how to beat them. Hopefully the Niners suffer at least a little of that jet lag we did but unfortunately they won't have to play a 10:00am game. So it is unlikely.

Ultimately the worst case scenario would be for the Niners to win it all. We need to catch up to them and win five of our own. we don't need them making that goal even harder and I honestly believe we are the better team right now and will be even better next year while they are declining.

Justin Smith will be 34 year old at the beginning of next season. They play him 97% of all defensive snaps. He won't last much longer and even the odds of him remaining injury free next year are reduced with as much as Hairball plays him. As J Smith goes so does that Niner defense. So unless they get lucky and find a comparable replacement real soon and I doubt they will, they have already peaked and their decline will come anyway.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Get your points Kearly, and some actually make sense, but if we are going to climb the mountain, we have to climb the mountain, not hope that others fall off.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:
    Keyhawk wrote:I want Atlanta to lose cause they knocked us out.

this makes even less sense, almost.

Don't you want the team that knocked you out to prove they were worthy of being a championship team?

Youd rather have them show they were good enough to beat you but not good enough to get the job done?

my list of who I want to win:

1.) Ravens
    2.) Falcons
    937.) Patriots
    74,210.) 49ers

You make some good points, and I'm OK with Atlanta beating the Niners. At the end of the day, the only team I dislike are the STEALers.
    Keyhawk
    NET Rookie

• kearly wrote:I've noticed that most people here are pulling for the Falcons next week. I'm rooting for the 49ers for a few reasons:

#2: There is an even more established trend of Superbowl losers declining the next season. An astonishingly high number of Superbowl losers missed the playoffs the next season.

#3: They would have a slightly lower draft pick. You never know, sometimes a couple spots in the draft can a huge difference. I'm still getting over Cameron Jordan / James Carpenter in 2011. SF picked 30th last year and had a terrible draft.

#4: It ratchets up the SF-SEA rivalry to a new high next season.

#5: SF is representing our division. One way to get respect is if people respect the NFC West more.

Sure, Harbaugh is a douche, but I don't really care who wins. I just want whatever situation benefits the Seahawks the most, and I think that SF winning does that. Anything, no matter how small, that helps Seattle's division chances next year is worth rooting for, I think.

Anyway, I'm sure 90% of you will disagree, but those are my :twocents:

Great topic and 100% agreed. Rivalries are one of the fun things about sports. Rivalries are better when both teams are as good as possible. Beating a Niners team that's on top of the world is practically the most satisfying thing ever.

Just like anything in life, you have to endure some hardship and pain to get the best rewards. In the short term, it sucks to hear the Niner fans gloat. But the payoff, like 24 days ago on Sunday night, is so worth it. I want Seattle to be the only team that can beat SF and the team that does it consistently. Let's be their roadblock.
    formido
    NET Starter

• [/quote] Anyway, I'm sure 90% of you will disagree, but those are my :twocents

Great topic and 100% agreed. Rivalries are one of the fun things about sports. Rivalries are better when both teams are as good as possible. Beating a Niners team that's on top of the world is practically the most satisfying thing ever.

Just like anything in life, you have to endure some hardship and pain to get the best rewards. In the short term, it sucks to hear the Niner fans gloat. But the payoff, like 24 days ago on Sunday night, is so worth it. I want Seattle to be the only team that can beat SF and the team that does it consistently. Let's be their roadblock. [/quote]

I'd like us to win ours first while they are still looking to win one since 1995.

5 to 1 sounds better than six to 1, coupled with the fact that they will have won ANOTHER while we haven't won our FIRST.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• I never compare rings because that's a losing battle and just not a dimension I care about. If I did care about it, it would really suck to be a fan of the Seahawks. I want to live in the now and exult in the glory of bringing the mighty low. That feeling a month ago just would NOT have been the same if the media wasn't all over SF like the bootlickers they are. Remember how it felt to be so high on Sunday and then dropped so low? Now imagine if that's SF, and the drop is because Russell Wilson has beaten them in 3 straight conference championships. To be that tantalizingly close to a dynasty but never get to taste it is the Hell I want for SF.
    formido
    NET Starter

• Also, I've noticed that a lot of Niner fans really hate it when Seahawks fans don't mind them winning from here on out. They want to taunt and troll and think that I'm silently stewing. I don't feel like giving them the satisfaction.

I don't root against them in the regular season, either, unless I have to because we've lost. I want to go 16-0 and have them go 14-2. And then beat them in the conference finals. That's my dream season.
    formido
    NET Starter

• As my wife is a diehard fan of the 'Niners (since the 70's,............really?),..........

......I am forced to root for our (and Pete's) arch-enemies,............the Forty (friggin') Niners.

Damn.
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information