Assuming Flynn's traded - who do you want?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • pehawk wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Dib, good stuff. IIRC, kearly listed Flynn's hit as $7M in '13. That change your mind?

There's no way to know for sure, but Wilson seems like an Eli, Peyton, Marino type player who will avoid injury.

I remember Peyton being out for awhile recently - how did that work out?

I remember Brady being out for a season and while you don't mention him I have to consider him very durable

Guys gets injured a superbowl caliber team should at least still be in the playoff hunt

Really? Peyton got hurt at 35, after being injury-free over a decade. For real man, that's the dumbest reply I've seen in sometime. Just plain dumb, it missed the point.

Way to contribute to the thread with your ideas at QB. You should have a blog.

Since you decided to not have a polite discussion - way to understand a point maybe you should go back to reading cartoons instead. Any qb can get injured from one hit. Brady has hardly been out at all and one hit he was out for a season. Peyton missed all of pre-season one year and the timing was off next year. He got hit and missed a whole season and the team tanked - the point was that regardless of durability you can't bank your whole freaking team on one player and have a horrible backup like Chicago now did two years in a row.

My ideas on qb was in a prior post and better than "I don't THINK RW will get injured so we don't even need a backup" thought process...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• That actually wasn't my idea, at all.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• So what was your highly valuable post about then that provided such great information? You either are of the belief that RW won't get injured and we can throw any crap in there as backup or your post about how other qb's weren't getting injured has zero value.

Which is it?

It is a F-ing message board where we exchange ideas and thoughts about OUR team. Your reply post to me was uncalled for and while you may disagree you brought nothing to the table. You can call me sensitive but I call this bs out here and elsewhere when it doesn't add any value and doesn't belong in the kind of discussion that is going on
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:I know some will want to keep Flynn, but I think he gets traded. It makes to much cap sense, and it also goes along with this FO doing "right" by their players.

Flynn wants to start, and I think the Seahawks FO will do whatever they can, within reason, to facilitate Flynn's preference. I'm a proud Seahawks fan for a lot of reasons, but I was really proud of how the FO treated Tavaris last preseason. He was traded instead of being released outright; to give him some dignity (maybe there's a better word choice there) on the way out. Tjax EARNED that type of exit...he's one classy and tough SOB.
    You?

There is no Quarterbacks that can cerebrally duplicate Wilson, not even RGIII.
    And although I believe there would be a big drop-off if Russell Wilson were to be out for awhile, I'd look for a playing style I think would best fit the mode of play by the Seahawks Offense/Wilson.
    How old is Seneca?, I like TJ, and maybe a developmental guy like maybe Portis.
    BUT, I think Robinson would fill in at #3 if needed.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• No love for Portis?

IIRC: Clayton said the hit for Flynn would be 5mil, with 2 or 3 mil guaranteed.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• peachesenregalia wrote:I'd take Gradkowski and Matt Moore off that list for certain.

Not sure about Chase Daniel.

I like Jack Daniels....uh....oh.....uh.....never mind. :34853_doh:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• keith price for the win!
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• Adam Schefter on ESPN just stated that there doesn't seem to be any interest in Flynn as a possible starter any where around the league with the possible exception of the Chiefs.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• mrblitz wrote:keith price for the win!

Keith Price for yet another interception is more like it.
    Matt Moore please.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• brimsalabim wrote:Adam Schefter on ESPN just stated that there doesn't seem to be any interest in Flynn as a possible starter any where around the league with the possible exception of the Chiefs.

Andy Reid - makes perfect sense if he goes for Flynn and I think he would make him a success
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• The $7.25 mil cap number is from Spotrac. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

The logic for the #3 guy is not as much about emergency usage but more about investment in the future. You want your #3 QB to be a young really high ceiling/low floor guy who may range from never seeing a snap in the NFL to being a franchise QB. It's a low cost high upside strategy that warrants a spot on the 53 man roster if you have a solid candidate.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Flynn would IMMEDIATELY make KC at least a 8 win team. They could take Barkley or Smith, if they can convince some rube too trade up.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Brian Hoyer, Josh Portis and (from the draft) Sean Renfree of Duke.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Matt Moore would be my preference, but I suspect he wants to go somewhere that gives him a chance to start. Chase Daniel isn't bad, he's like a low draft projection of Aaron Murray from Georgia.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Renfree, interesting. I like the fact he played for that staff. And, he certainly fits the projection of 3rd day.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I think you want a mobile QB like RW so he can run the same type of offense if RW gets hurt. A guy who fits that mould is is Tyler Thigpen in Buffalo. He is an athletic QB who had a lot of success out of the pistol offense in KC during the 2008-09 season, and knows how to run around. He ran for almost 400 yards that season and passed for 2600 yards in about 12-14 games.
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

• I like TJ, and in a pinch Rex Grossman has lots of play action and bootleg experience.

Today on Sirius John Schneider did say they will be open to offers on Flynn.

As for Schefter's tweet, there is no market forquarterbacks right now. None. Because right now, there is no market for anyone. And until head coaching jobs are all filled, and free agency is about to begin, the market will not develop much. When some teams began to realize they aren't likely to get some coveted rookie, a market for Flynn will open. Jacksonville, Arizona, Raiders (who need to get cap room and ditching Palmer will help get that room), KC, Jets, Buffalo, all places that may want his services.
    Last edited by Scottemojo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:I like TJ, and in a pinch Rex Grossman has lots of play action and bootleg experience.

Dude, tell me you're joking on Grossman. Please? I understand, you guys each have the same "I'm surprised" eyebrow expression, but, no, Scott.

What's happening? What is this world coming to? You call grossman RG3, and got offended when Bob Griffin stole that monicker, huh?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I like TJ, and in a pinch Rex Grossman has lots of play action and bootleg experience.

Dude, tell me you're joking on Grossman. Please? I understand, you guys each have the same "I'm surprised" eyebrow expression, but, no, Scott.

What's happening? What is this world coming to? You call grossman RG3, and got offended when Bob Griffin stole that monicker, huh?

Dead serious. Rex has an under rated deep ball and a great play action fake. Yes, he is completely daft, but he has the tools for our system. In a pinch.

I knew this would get flamed. I am still right.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Jeff Blake had a great deep ball too. As good as Rexies deep ball.

He does have a good deep ball, yes. I just haven't seen him do a thing outside of that.

I'm sorry Scott, we're officially through now. I'm going to start seeing other posters. No, no, no dont look at me like that. It's not you, its me.

Any draft guys that got your fancy?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Chase Daniel isn't going to leave the Saints and they want him back. He knows he's a backup no matter who he plays for, he's happy in N.O., is very close to Drew Breess, and likes being near his home in Texas where he has a successful t-shirt business on the side.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Agree on Daniels - very lateral move.

And, back to Scott, I still think Seneca's deep ball is better than Rex's. Of course, 9/10 times the ball was dropped by the band of misfits he played with those years. But, it was good.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• AgentDib wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:I'll spend a 4-5th rounder as our back up to make sure he's cheap, and can run the same stuff RW runs. EJ Manuel fits the bill for me.

How many snaps do you give that 4th-5th rounder rookie then in order to make sure he knows what to do if called on? Would EJ Manuel be ready to win NFL games as a rookie in a new system even if we gave him half of the snaps in training camp? Finally, how much does giving that many snaps to somebody besides Russell Wilson for the second consecutive year slow down Wilson's growth as our franchise QB? I know that sounds like a lot of questions, but I am stunned by all the fans that put little to no value in having a veteran backup.

The problem with this, my friend, is PC didn't say he wanted an experienced backup...he said he wanted someone who could do the things that RW can do, and that even Flynn can't do those things. He wants someone who's mobile. The read option really would be foreign to all veteran guys that you could sign- hell it was new to the NFL before Cam Newton.

So, that to say, I value a veteran back up, but if PC wants a mobile QB, I would sure has heck rather draft a guy and hope he can learn than sign someone like Tavaris or V.Young.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson is a God, and therefore will never get injured, not only are we wasting cap space by having a back-up for him, but also 1 or even 2 roster spots for another pass-rusher and/or defensive tackle.

If for some reason, Russell has to sit a play or two.. or whatever... Mike Rob can be the QB.

/thread
    chawx
    NET Veteran

• While I can appreciate wanting someone "like" RW that "do some of the things" that RW can do, it's not going to be easy to find that. Athleticism, accuracy and brains in one package is something we've needed for years. Just got lucky...

Find a guy that can make reads, throw accurately and won't turn the ball over. I don't care if he can run a 4.4 forty. We have a running game, supplement RW's absence during injury w/ a passing threat that doesn't make us one-dimensional. Nothing could be worse than having an athletic QB that can't pass. Might as well get Tebow if that's the approach.

First post, hi all.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• pehawk, you know I'm on board with the Denard Robinson idea, whom we can get in the 6th round.

TJ would probably be one of the cheaper options out there and I like that he is familiar with the system and players. He would do just fine as a backup.
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• Robinsons going to climb up draft boards, IMO. He's this years Devin Hester and think like him he'll be taken in the 3rd.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pcbball12 wrote:Matt Moore would be ideal. I would even consider Troy Smith....only because Pete talked about getting a backup that can do some of the things Russ can do. To me that means they are looking for a little athleticism. From the draft, I want Taylor Martinez as a project/3rd string guy (If he were to declare, which it is probably likely he returns for his senior year). Perfect skill set to run a similar offense if Russ were to go down.

Unless we hear there is actual interest in trading for him... I'm more thinking that Flynn sticks around for at least another year in the backup role. But, to play along with all this for fun... this post makes the most sense to me. I've been thinking Matt Moore for awhile (ever since rumors started about a possible Flynn trade at the end of the season. But, Troy Smith and Martinez are also good calls. Are there other athletic QB's like Martinez if he doesn't declare? I'm going to hear howls of protest for saying this... but, here goes. IF Flynn is traded... I really, truly, seriously wouldn't mind seeing us bring in (gulp) Tim Tebow. I just think that of all the teams, Seattle would be the healthiest place for him and I think he and Russell Wilson would get along GREAT. Tebow could probably be talked into playing a TE / HB role like (if anyone remembers this guy...) Jim Jensen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jensen_(wide_receiver) Tebow could be the backup QB and Michael Robinson could be an emergency 3rd Stringer. I know, I know... some are going to say that's not enough QB's with arms for an NFL team. But, I just don't think Russell Wilson is replaceable. We're not going to get another Russell Wilson (or highly unlikely). I'm not saying that I want Tebow on the team just to have him on the team. I think he's a great football player... just not a great QB. Perhaps he could be serviceable if absolutely needed. I think Pete could be the positive coach that could get through to him to help him realize his potential as a football player... and perhaps guard him from the media (though, it's Tebow.) Perhaps some of that would take care of itself because they would want to interview RW instead. But, if they wanted Tebow interviews instead... maybe that gives RW even more time to gameplan to tear apart other teams. Ok... don't throw me under the bus for saying Tim Tebow. Just throwing it out there. Maybe it would work, maybe not. Might not be worth the circus, though. Pete doesn't seem to be afraid to bring players in to try (T.O., etc.)
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• On Draft Day 2013,........

........it will be,...........

....Matt Flynn, Doug Baldwin, and our first-round pick,......

.......for Philadelphia's first-rounder and Michael Vick.

Add Seneca Wallace to the mix (for league minimum) as our clipboard carrier.

At the #4 pick in this year's draft, Carroll and Schneider can wheel-'an-deal to their hearts' delight. There are gems to be had with multiple picks in the later rounds.

In John and Pete We Trust.
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

• I'd take Tebow in a hearbeat.

It'd be kind of sad. 7-4 as a starter, he deserves a shot, somewhere.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• If we get Tebow, we go from media darling to media circus. Don't want the distraction.

Tebow also won't buy in unless he has a legit shot to win the job and be the starter. He should think about UFL or CFL
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• I would pluck Chandler Harnish off the Colts practice squad.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Wilson
    Jackson
    Rexy.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Dennis Dixon.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Dennis Dixon.

Bastard.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Dennis Dixon.

Bastard.

You like Darron Thomas better? He could be had on the cheap!

Actually i was being mostly serious about Dixon though. I think he's a pretty ideal backup. And to be honest, I dont expect Wilson to miss more then a handful of games in the next 10 years. He's just not a guy that puts himself in position to get injured, even though he's a running QB.

And for the record, i'd be ecstatic if we drafted Denard Robinson. But not as a QB. I see him as a returner and maybe a safety or cornerback.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Where was Dixon last year? Out of the league, right? Thats my concern.

I'm not opposed.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:Where was Dixon last year? Out of the league, right? Thats my concern.

I'm not opposed.

I thought he was backing up Joe Flacco in Baltimore? But, I guess I might be wrong, havnt really followed him that closely.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Dennis Dixon was on and off of Baltimore's PS this season and hasn't attempted an NFL pass since week 2 of the 2010 season.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Vince Young would be a great backup. Seneca Wallace is old side but I think he may thrive in the read option offense. TJack train has left the station. Unless Tjack has gained immense decision making ability, he's a no go. No one on that list sticks out. Matt Scott of Arizona may be a potential mid-round pick (4 - 6 rounds) in the draft.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• SDHawk wrote:If we get Tebow, we go from media darling to media circus. Don't want the distraction.

Tebow also won't buy in unless he has a legit shot to win the job and be the starter. He should think about UFL or CFL

Well... I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to suggest it would be a distraction. I just don't see it. It was a distraction for the NYJ because they handled it all wrong. The media + the coaching staff lying to him. I think it's being a bit optimistic to say that the Seahawks are a media darling team. There were some who had to speak well of them (perhaps even though they didn't want to). Where I live... everyone hates the Seahawks. I have to put up with it all the time. They treat the Seahawks like a 2nd class team from a 2nd class city. My suggestion would be a very specific role (one that has been talked about with Tebow... to play FB or some other position that would maximize his strengths.) Tebow is a class individual and the only distraction would be what the media would try to project upon the team. What else is new? That doesn't bother Pete and it certainly doesn't bother the likes of Sherman, etc. If the guy adds another weapon... Seattle could be even more envied. I must admit that I wouldn't mind seeing a few southeasterners give the Seahawks some love because of their fondness for Tebow. Tebow is NOT T.O. Plus... NO ONE is going to say that he's going to Seattle to supplant Russell Wilson (nor would Wilson feel threatened like Mark Sanchez may have been.) Tebow would be a great teammate. Really, I can't see a negative. Sorry, I don't buy the distraction reason. Just doesn't fly. But... Seahawks fans... probably not worth discussing any further as it's just hypothetical. Just my 2 cents.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• Losing Flynn makes me feel very insecure about our future if Wilson was to go down.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

• Is clipboard Jesus still an option?
    Russell Wilson doesn't do losing anymore -peachesenregalia, jan 5, 2013
    seahawksfanatic000
    NET Starter

• my list
    Matt Moore
    Chase Daniel
    Vince Young
    Tim Tebow (as a last resort)
    Draft
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck
    Austin Hawk
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:I know some will want to keep Flynn, but I think he gets traded. It makes to much cap sense, and it also goes along with this FO doing "right" by their players.

Flynn wants to start, and I think the Seahawks FO will do whatever they can, within reason, to facilitate Flynn's preference. I'm a proud Seahawks fan for a lot of reasons, but I was really proud of how the FO treated Tavaris last preseason. He was traded instead of being released outright; to give him some dignity (maybe there's a better word choice there) on the way out. Tjax EARNED that type of exit...he's one classy and tough SOB.

With all that, who would YOU want the Seahawks to bring in to back up Wilson? To keep this hypothetical within reasonable boundaries lets restrict it to 1 vet FA and 1 late round draft pick. Here’s a list of FA’s;

Brian Hoyer – ARI
    Luke McCown – ATL
    Joe Flacco – BAL
    Tarvaris Jackson – BUF
    Tyler Thigpen – BUF
    Derek Anderson – CAR
    Jason Campbell – CHI
    Josh McCown – CHI
    Bruce Gradkowski – CIN
    Drew Stanton – IND
    Brady Quinn – KC
    Pat Devlin – MIA – (Ex)
    Matt Moore – MIA
    Chase Daniel – NO
    David Carr – NYG
    Matt Leinart – OAK
    Charlie Batch – PIT
    Byron Leftwich – PIT
    Kellen Clemens – STL
    Rex Grossman – WAS
    Vince Young – FA
    Sage Rosenfels – FA
    Seneca Wallace – FA
    Donovan McNabb – FA
    A.J. Feeley – FA
    Troy Smith – FA
    Chris Redman – FA
    John Beck – FA
    Stephen McGee – FA
    Jordan Palmer – FA
    J.P. Loseman – FA

Of those, I’d LOVE Chase Daniels – but it would be a lateral move for him. So, as much as he’s ripped here, I’d prefer Tjack.

For the developmental QB, I’d REALLY prefer Denard Robinson just to be a nice toy. But, there’s no way I’d trust him to play a game or two at the position. So, I’m going to go Colin Klein or….crybaby’s brother Jordan Rogers. Picking Rogers on a gut hunch. So my QB depth chart would be;

1)Wilson
    2)Tjack
    3)JRogers

You?

After giving this some thought I am going to say that I would not one player on this list. I have not read the whole thread yet (maybe this has been suggested already).

We trade up and sacrifice some picks--on top of money--to get the most elite replacements that we can find for some aging, but elite players. The one to two years they have to acclimate to this team should be perfect. I am thinking about a replacement for Marshawn in a couple years. Or--even better--maybe some new big guys (on both sides) like Star Lotulelei (DT) or Chance Warmack (OG). Those lads would be awesome...the only question is who needs someone like Flynn, some cash and maybe some later draft picks?

umm...

The Jags
    The Chiefs
    The Jets
    Philly?
    The Cards (Bad trade because Flynn knows where the bodies are buried--IOW, he knows our DNA)
    The Bills?

Who knows? We have a shit load of bargaining power right now. I cannot remember a time when the Hawks held such beautiful, high-ground. Every room that Pete and John walk into this off-season, they immediately hold the advantage and can run the table. They are in a place to build the perfect and young beast, that will last for years to come.

I have the flu right now, so I maybe speaking another language, but getting this off my chest seems to be making me feel a little better. Well, this, NyQuil, my lady and this stuff I just picked up called Northern Lights.
    Thunderbird
    NET Rookie

• 2. I think Seneca would thrive in this offense and he would never complain about being a back up I always really liked him and wanted him to succeed. :3: Now drool over Russ and Seneca pulling a little misdirection/wildcat/fleeflicker action. of course senecas like 83 now but very little use on him no hard miles on him anyway.

3. Matt Jones QB AZ - is very athletic and has enjoyed his greatest success when rolling out and forcing defenders to account for his legs, while also possessing the arm strength and touch to scorch them if they lose coverage responsibilities. (Wilson Jr.)
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• SeaHawk80 wrote:2. I think Seneca would thrive in this offense and he would never complain about being a back up I always really liked him and wanted him to succeed. :3: Now drool over Russ and Seneca pulling a little misdirection/wildcat/fleeflicker action. of course senecas like 83 now but very little use on him no hard miles on him anyway.

3. Matt Jones QB AZ - is very athletic and has enjoyed his greatest success when rolling out and forcing defenders to account for his legs, while also possessing the arm strength and touch to scorch them if they lose coverage responsibilities. (Wilson Jr.)

What about the big guys, on both sides of the ball? You know, a couple of young stars willing to learn the system and make this team that much closer to being complete.

We have so many options right now, but we need two more big, durable and smart brawlers.
    Thunderbird
    NET Rookie

• I see a pretty large step down from Flynn to Vince Young. The reason why we are talking about being able to trade Flynn is because he is one of the better backups in the NFL, and you are going from that to a player who was not on an NFL roster this season.

lukerguy wrote:The problem with this, my friend, is PC didn't say he wanted an experienced backup...he said he wanted someone who could do the things that RW can do, and that even Flynn can't do those things. He wants someone who's mobile. The read option really would be foreign to all veteran guys that you could sign- hell it was new to the NFL before Cam Newton.

I addressed this earlier; Pete's comments along these lines struck me as in regards to the draft and were made in close proximity to him talking about the 10 draft picks. It makes perfect sense to take developmental guys that can excel in our system, but that does not exclude a veteran backup filling the #2 slot.

lukerguy wrote:So, that to say, I value a veteran back up, but if PC wants a mobile QB, I would sure has heck rather draft a guy and hope he can learn than sign someone like Tavaris or V.Young.

I only see two possibilities if we go with a rookie as our #2 this season. We could prepare him to start NFL games if needed by giving him a lot of snaps in the preseason that could otherwise be going to Wilson. Alternatively, we could give those snaps to Wilson anyway and risk having a completely under prepared rookie starting at the most important position on our team. Neither one of these seems like a good idea to me. Am I missing a possibility?
    Last edited by AgentDib on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Seneca Wallace? You people need to put down the bong! Boo..drugs are bad!

Keep Flynn. No bad assumptions!

Let me edit to elaborate...and not "attack the man".

The front office loves having a quality quarterback problem.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information