This team is missing a leader on defense.

Fox0r

Reaction score
A caller on Brock and Salk just made a GREAT point, in my opinion.

A leader is someone that instills confidence in the team when things are on the line. A leader instills a sense of calm to the men around him, and by leading them by example, they follow suit. Many times this year, Russell has rallied the offense, taken them on his shoulders and has -- like clockwork -- taken us down the field to win the game.

The times we have lost this year, our defense couldn't close out the game. For lack of words, they choked. It has happened a lot -- and it happened in the Chicago game, too, but Russell took it out of our defense's hands and won the game himself.

I believe in my heart of hearts that this team is lacking a personality like Russell's on defense. Someone who is out on the field with the rest of the guys that eliminates doubt. It is not just happenstance that our defense has choked under pressure repeatedly. Fool me once, shame on you -- fool me twice, shame on me. It is obvious that something is missing.

You can blame the coaching or playcalling, but players should make plays with the game on the line.

I'm hoping Bobby is that individual and can grow as a leader as he ages, but you could see in his body language during the Falcons game (especially after giving up the catch to Tony G. to put the Falcons in FG range) that he was visibly upset and it was in his head.

No one has really emerged in this defense as a leader, a Ray Lewis, have you. Sherman is confident, but he doesn't strike me as the type that rallies people together like a field general.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

razgriz737

Reaction score
From everything I hear, Red Bryant is that guy. I know he's been a whipping boy around here as of late, but sounds like he's a real leader for this defense.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I thought Red Bryant was that, but he kind of has seemed quiet over the last half of the year. I haven't seen him rallying the troops like he did last year.

652cHAWK

Reaction score
I agree about Red being a leader type, however just seems right that the leader of a defense should be a linebacker.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I think part of that may be due to his injury. Judging by Pete's presser yesterday, it seems Red was in a lot more pain than any of us realized.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
We could definitely use another vocal leader. It's another reason why I hope there's some way we get Sheldon Richardson. He'll make himself heard...

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1gfpkn4f said:
I thought Red Bryant was that, but he kind of has seemed quiet over the last half of the year. I haven't seen him rallying the troops like he did last year.

Can't rally the troops when you are playing like crap.

drdiags

Reaction score
I would agree that there needs to be a leader and it should be the MLB. Tough to have your leader be the secondary or the DL, the guy in the middle taking hits to stop the run or dropping in coverage and making plays can relate with both roles in the defense. A solid OLB like a Derrick Brooks probably could be a good leader. Just tough to have a DL be your leader if he is off the field on a 3rd of the plays.

If you look at the losses this year, all on the road plus the Chicago game the majority of them were due to the defense not being able to hold a lead late (Rams not so much, Dolphins game they let them drive late to take the winning FG). Even after a dramatic late game drive by the offense. This to me in hindsight seemed like the defense had exhaled and weren't fired up to hold the lead. Contrast that with the GB and Patriots games. When the defense was keyed up to make a stop, they did.

The missing key to me was emotion or a leader kicking these guys up a notch. If Wagner can become that somehow, I think the team's fortunes go up a notch. Right now KJ and Wagner seem more quiet assassin types but lets see what happens next season.

twelfman

Reaction score
The real leader will be a guy who can do like sherm but we need one on the dline

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think Sherman IS that leader, but of the Secondary only.
The opponents that face the Seahawks Defense, know that they have to get it done up front because Sherman & Co. has taken away the back half of the field.
The Seahawks know that they are lacking for putting pressure on the Quarterbacks, or consistently stopping the run, and that's the reason Pete is okay with Sherman running off at the mouth,,He (Pete) uses the strength of the Secondary to cover up for the defeciencies of the front four.
So the asertion that there is no leader for the Defense is half true as I see it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wagner is a great player but is too quiet to be that fired up leader we want. Red is the guy but as you guys have stated, he kind of faded out the last month of the year due to injury. I totally concur with the OP...This defense needs a powerful presence that wills them to greatness in the most critical situations.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":32gni9ym said:
From everything I hear, Red Bryant is that guy. I know he's been a whipping boy around here as of late, but sounds like he's a real leader for this defense.
I don't agree, and I don't say that as a slight to Big Red, it's just that I see him as "The Anchor" of the Dline,,Or why do the Seahawks use Wagner to shout out the Defensive sets?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
scutterhawk":35dmvdll said:
I think Sherman IS that leader, but of the Secondary only.
The opponents that face the Seahawks Defense, know that they have to get it done up front because Sherman & Co. has taken away the back half of the field.
The Seahawks know that they are lacking for putting pressure on the Quarterbacks, or consistently stopping the run, and that's the reason Pete is okay with Sherman running off at the mouth,,He (Pete) uses the strength of the Secondary to cover up for the defeciencies of the front four.
So the asertion that there is no leader for the Defense is half true as I see it.
This...but I agree, it seems like its only with the LOB. I've seen many a times when Sherman would gather the guys and try to rally them. You could definitely sense that, especially when he was Mic'd up.

12evanf

Reaction score
The first Rams game and the first 49ers game are the ONLY TWO TIMES THIS YEAR WE DID NOT HAVE A LEAD IN THE 4TH QUARTER. Next year completes the 4 year plan, should be very fun to watch.

madbohem

Reaction score
Only thing this defense needs is Henry Melton... or a draft pick that can take up that kind of crushing role in the interior.

CANHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":h8ptngxm said:
I think Red is the vocal, rah rah leader of the D, but I can't shake the feeling that Earl Thomas has a significant role in defensive leadership.

I was going to say the same damn thing. It's Earl's defense now IMO, especially after two great performances in the playoffs.

sc85sis

Reaction score
scutterhawk":60qhmgr8 said:
razgriz737":60qhmgr8 said:
I don't agree, and I don't say that as a slight to Big Red, it's just that I see him as "The Anchor" of the Dline,,Or why do the Seahawks use Wagner to shout out the Defensive sets?
Because that's part of the role of the mike LB in this defense. And because the mike can better see what the offense is doing than a guy with his hand in the dirt can.