According to ESPN radio

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I am far less broken up about this than I would be losing Bevell. I've been critical of him early, but there was a world of difference when he wasn't handicapping Wilson. Our offense became our strength over the last eight games, and the defense the liability. Number one defense or not, we've lost far too many games giving up a last second drive for points after the offense won the game for us. That is unacceptable and must be fixed. I can't say I wasn't skeptical Bradley could do that.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Well, coaches leaving is normal, that does not change the identity of an organization. We have a blue print on defense with the exception of 3rd down defense. Gus is a great guy but the 30 seconds in ATL is a defining moment for me to not feel is is not replaceable. I am sure Pete will fill his vacant spots appropriately and take the team forward. The absolute need is to have continuity in Head Coach and GM, we have both and feel blessed. We are doing great things, our pass rushing may not be because of personnel, it is also a scheme thing in my opinion. I am looking forward to getting some young defensive minded coach who fits well with this young team. I am sure there is one that we can find.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Wasn't Allen Barbe a Seahawk? It's being reported that the Eagles just signed him. Gus is already stealing our players! :mad:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Man, this thing will just not die.

Despite a rumor that Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley has accepted a head-coaching job with the Philadelphia Eagles, that process still has a ways to go.

Citing a source who spoke with the Eagles, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports no decision has been made, according to the source.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported the Eagles will have Bradley in for a second interview Tuesday afternoon in Philadelphia, but no deal is imminent, according to a source involved with the process.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000126790/article/gus-bradley-decision-not-yet-final-by-eagles

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
Largent80":onuo9al4 said:
Just shows what a kick ass organization we are, people are knockin the doors down to get what we got.

The bad part is he can choose his coaches and he could take some with him.

Hopefully some of those coaches will compare the current situation in Seattle against the existing mess in Philly and decide their long term prospects are better served by staying put.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
ESPN radio did mention the 2nd interview, but said he had informed them he was taking the job, on the way to the interview.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2s4eti3f said:
He'll be fired within 3 years. That organization is a mess, and if he doesn't have a winning season right away, the brutal fans there will be calling for his head.
I totally agree.

Gus is a great guy but his success with the Hawks is principally dependent on Pete's defensive scheme and John Schneider's eye for talent and his acumen at acquiring said talent.

Philly needs a GM whose strength/background is talent evaluation and acquisition.

If they hire a bean counter to manage their cap space, Gus is screwed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3b1ggkw5 said:
Gus will be missed. I have a friend/co-worker who played for Gus at NDSU. Thinks of him as a second father and He can't stop saying great things about him. Nobody can, really. My father, brother and I have several other connections to him, as well. Everybody, to a man, who has coached with or played for the guy speaks in superlatives about him.

It's a loss, believe me.

Congrats to Gus Bradley. But Philly? Really? That's where you want to raise your family? Gross.
My critical comments towards Gus are strictly about his coaching. From everyone that I've heard that knows him says he is a peach of a guy and a very genuine guy.

dunceface

Reaction score
Well if he does leave we will finally find out if that soft zone crap was him or Pete...
This is the coordinator I was least worried about losing

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3755gvli said:
I am far less broken up about this than I would be losing Bevell. I've been critical of him early, but there was a world of difference when he wasn't handicapping Wilson.

I'll only cry over losing Bevell if it happens after he stops handicapping the whole offense for the first half of every game next year. Giving big leads to opponents then having to come back roaring in the second half is thrilling for fans of other teams, but I'm tired of the heart attacks. We could have blown the doors off of most of our opponents this season, not just a handful.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I felt strongly believed he would leave as he has been through 3 regimes and basically unable to design his own defense.

Moreover, I am fully happly with grabbing another co-ordinator.

As for continuity - Pete is there for defense as are position coaches so I am not too concerned.

It is offense where I wish Bevell wouldn't go.

At least Cable has no offers which is the most important. Pay CABLE!!!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
While I have already revealed my bias for Bradley, I don't understand all the comments here about Bradley and 'soft zone'.

In the Bears game wasn't Sherman in position to defend that completion to B Marshall but fail to make the play?

And against Atlanta-my big fear was that we would sit back on that last drive, but we didn't. We blitzed on both of Atlanta's final two plays. The players didn't get there.

This board seems to always trash our co-ordinators.

Here we had a co-ordinator who is heralded by everybody he has ever worked with and who led a #1 scoring defense that had little pass rush and we are happy to see him go??

I don't understand.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I like Bradley, and more importantly, the players like Bradley. The Eagles need a coach like that if they're going to assemble their talent into a real team.

That being said, I'll wait to say farewell until everything's actually in stone.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Detroit, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, et al.....the same mistakes were repeated again and again....time to see what a new DC can accomplish. Would love to see a guy like Ray Horton be given a chance to implement a scheme that allows our speed and size to be unleashed...Seattle's offense with RW and a defense like AZ is Super Bowl material for years to come!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2es5s7za said:
While I have already revealed my bias for Bradley, I don't understand all the comments here about Bradley and 'soft zone'.

In the Bears game wasn't Sherman in position to defend that completion to B Marshall but fail to make the play?

And against Atlanta-my big fear was that we would sit back on that last drive, but we didn't. We blitzed on both of Atlanta's final two plays. The players didn't get there.

Here we had a co-ordinator who is heralded by everybody he has ever worked with and who led a #1 scoring defense that had little pass rush and we are happy to see him go??

I don't understand.

Yup. The Bears game was solely on the players...mostly Sherman.

But the Falcons game, we should have been playing man coverage instead of zone on the final drive. That is how we stopped the Falcons the previous 3 drives. That's the only complaint I had. I am glad he blitzed and just didnt play textbook prevent D. But it was still the wrong coverage called for, IMO. The Hawks were killed on zone coverage ALL DAY. To go back to it at the most critical time of the game was just bad coaching.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Can't say I'm sad at all . This needed to be changed IMHO we will be better for it . Good luck Gus .

bestfightstory

Reaction score
HawkFan72":aalzzbli said:
bestfightstory":aalzzbli said:

I don't understand.

Yup. The Bears game was solely on the players...mostly Sherman.

But the Falcons game, we should have been playing man coverage instead of zone on the final drive. That is how we stopped the Falcons the previous 3 drives. That's the only complaint I had. I am glad he blitzed and just didnt play textbook prevent D. But it was still the wrong coverage called for, IMO. The Hawks were killed on zone coverage ALL DAY. To go back to it at the most critical time of the game was just bad coaching.

I don't necessarily disagree. And, admittedly, the defensive backfield is my most unlearned positional area of a football team. But it is THE area of expertise for both Pete and Gus (I believe each was a d-back in their playing days). And with 2 All-PROS in our secondary shouldn't we be able to stop that drive regardless of whether we were in zone or man-man??

Frankly,(and a bit off topic) the guy who concerns me is Kam Chancellor. In five quarters of playoff football he was targeted successfully for 4 TDs. Which is why, I think, Winston Guy suddenly saw the field.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Bradley is a better coach than Bevell, but Bevell is more valuable because PC is a defensive minded coach and we also have Norton, wash, and Seto. I think it will be hard for bradley to pull any of our coached because we could very well offer them the DC position here. I wish Bradley the best, he has help this D improve every year and he deserves a HC gig. I think Philly has a ton of talent on the defensive side and it won't take long for them to be a top 10 defense just another piece ro two and they will be set. But his OL and QB are huge question marks. Mabye we trade Philly Matt Flynn?

Latest posts