Assuming Flynn's traded - who do you want?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think they almost have have to trade him. The pay difference is 700k vs 5-7 million.
There are good number of 3-6 million DL, TE we could get I suspect and a draft pick

Sadly trades are still pretty Rare unless it is for picks. So I'd take a 3rd-4th

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm with ya puppy. I think in this situation, the Seahawks may not have the leverage, depending on the cap hit. So, even a 5th is gravy.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I would rather keep Flynn over a 7th round pick. A lot of that money was front loaded, he's had a year in our system, and his record as a backup is pretty good. Keeping him does not affect the third string developmental slot, since the salary of a late round pick is negligible. Obviously Flynn would like to start somewhere, but the #2 QB is always one play away from being the starter and the most important player on your team. Our running game and defense is too strong to risk a lost season from a single injury.

For the developmental slot I wouldn't mind an early round pick. I know that would freak people out, but with the rookie wage scale even our first round pick ($1.8 mil/year) and second round pick ($750k/year) can sit on the bench without screwing the salary cap. It's going to be tough for rookies to make our team next year anyway, and that #3 QB spot is a great place to spend draft capital. If the best player on our draft board is a QB then we should pull the trigger regardless of the round.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Dib, good stuff. IIRC, kearly listed Flynn's hit as $7M in '13. That change your mind?

There's no way to know for sure, but Wilson seems like an Eli, Peyton, Marino type player who will avoid injury.

mikeak

Reaction score
Well if I was jacksonville I would load up with Michael Vick, Vince Young, Tim Tebow and then try to get Reggie Bush and run the wildcat......

but we are Seattle Seahawks so I don't want any of those guys

Matt Moore hands down. Seneca Wallace as 2nd string is really cheap and allows us to work with a 5th rounder to see what can be made

Tjack - for obvious reasons

I would also be interested in the ones below. My whole thinking here is if you trade Flynn you are doing it for money saving only. Then don't go and sign a $3million guy - if you do the money saved isn't worth it

Drew Stanton – IND
Chase Daniel – NO
Charlie Batch – PIT
Byron Leftwich – PIT
Kellen Clemens – STL
Sage Rosenfels – FA

hawker84

Reaction score
i just don't see flynn staying, he deserves a shot to start somewhere.. i'd take

Flacco out of the list..

it would be good to get seneca back in a seattle uni too....

razgriz737

Reaction score
If it makes any difference in people's thinking, yesterday in Pete's presser he said he wanted another guy like Russell (in terms if mobility/play style/etc).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would take TJack back in a heartbeat.

He is a great lockerroom guy, tough as nails, and he is adequate if he needed to come in and play a game or two.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I want Flynn to stay... Even at his price. Having that solid #2 can mean saving a season.

RW is incredible in that he finds a way to avoid the real big hit, but he does run at times.

While different, Flynn is the best option at #2. He gets rid of the ball quick and is accurate. Outside of some drops on longer passes in preseason, he moves the ball methodically down the field.

The only way I want anyone different is if PC can find a rookie in the draft that he liked as a possible recruit for USC, with starter potential. Frankly, if Flynn really WANTS out, then give him the option, but he is making good bank and playing behind Wilson carries no shame, obviously.

I guess simply put, I don't want Flynn to be replaced with someone that isn't as good as he is.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
My gut says Pete's playing hardball with the quarterback position right now. He knows he's in a good place, and holds all the cards on this one. There will be offers, but I can't see him entertaining any of them for less than a high pick, say in the range of a 1st or 2nd. Maybe a 3rd. He doesn't need to, and so he won't. If they want Flynn that bad, they're going to have to pay out the nose for him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
pehawk":dp4iv1yw said:
Dib, good stuff. IIRC, kearly listed Flynn's hit as $7M in '13. That change your mind?
Not when you consider that Wilson's cap hit is $600k. Wilson, Flynn and a 2nd round QB (Wilson #2?) strike me as a very strong QB group for $9 million total cap space. Moving forward, Flynn's cap space can be used for Wilson and/or the developmental guy.

pehawk":dp4iv1yw said:
There's no way to know for sure, but Wilson seems like an Eli, Peyton, Marino type player who will avoid injury.
Obviously I would give a lot for that to be true and Wilson has done a great job of protecting himself on slides. I simply think our defense and running game are too good for us to risk a 2011 Colts debacle.

razgriz737":dp4iv1yw said:
If it makes any difference in people's thinking, yesterday in Pete's presser he said he wanted another guy like Russell (in terms if mobility/play style/etc).
I felt like he was talking about the draft at that point, and the potential #3 QB. I would not feel comfortable going with just Wilson and a rookie. Teams like veteran backups because they can be ready to come in without taking a lot of snaps away from the starter, and I want Wilson to get as many snaps as possible this next preseason.

12evanf

Reaction score
TJack. He's no superstar, but he's shown he can keep a lead and win some games. Look up the definition of serviceable, and there he is.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,959

razgriz737

Reaction score
@AgentDib: I think he was talking about the draft as well, just thought I'd throw that out there for the sake of discussion.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":1763zm5v said:
Hasselbeck":1763zm5v said:
Matt Flynn is the future and this cannot be traded

Ha.

You should REALLY try to do the same thing next year with another player and position, that you did with Flynn this year. Maybe Obo or Butler? Every year argue with all of us over someone who should be starting. It'd be hysterical - and by that time no one will know its a ruse.

BIG PROPS to you for laughing at yourself and allowing us to laugh too. For real, big props.

Already drafting my Charly Martin over Sidney Rice thread. :mrgreen: :th2thumbs:

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Given what has been said from the FO, they plan on taking a QB every year in the draft, I could see trading Flynn for a 2nd and drafting a QB like Matt Scott, in the 4th or 5th.

As far as having a backup thats already in the league, IMO Flynn is the best option so, if the FO wants to have a vetern presence backing up Wilson, they will stick with Flynn, unless someone offers way to much (which won't happen)

But I could see a 2nd for Flynn due to weak QB class, and lots of QB needy teams.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Like it's been said earlier, our FO wants the best for all our guys. Flynn will never be the starter here and he has the ability to be a Matt Schaub type QB for some team. I think if they can get a reasonable deal for him they would do it for a)Flynn's sake b)cap room c)draft ammo.

If Buffalo goes in a different direction at QB, I wouldn't mind taking Fitz for cheap if he doesn't get any better looks. He's been a starter for awhile and could be a good backup I think.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'll spend a 4-5th rounder as our back up to make sure he's cheap, and can run the same stuff RW runs.

EJ Manuel fits the bill for me.