Prevent "from winning" defense

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
The problem was like Browner said we went Soft Zone, Which no matter if we blitzed or not the CB's should not have been 10 yards up the field. Should have been up to bump the WR to throw them off rout and buy our Dline more time.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38e1uqfo said:
Grahamhawker":38e1uqfo said:
Problem I see, especially for a guy like Browner, is when you are taking away his strength by going to the prevent.

Again, it wasn't the prevent. We blitzed on both plays.

If Trufant doesn't bite down on Gonzales the first play and leave too much space behind him for Douglas, then it's an 8-10 yard completion to Gonzales, and not a 20 yard completion to Douglas.

2nd play Guy didn't time his blitz right and allowed Rodgers time to slide all the way across the line to pick him up.

Once again, right call..........poor execution. No one was complaining about the zone blitzes last week when we knocked Cousins in the mouth twice at the end of the Redskins game.

good points. The blitz didn't get home and Wagner couldn't stay with Gonzo.

OP
OP
Aristotle22

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I thought they backed off. I don't know enough of the little things that go on. Thank you

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1ge2cqj6 said:
Not "prevent" techincally, but the corners were definitely in deep/soft coverage.

So what's your solution, to play man on man coverage and risk two of the fastest WR's in the league more time to get open?

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2j6460ib said:
Grahamhawker":2j6460ib said:
Not "prevent" techincally, but the corners were definitely in deep/soft coverage.

So what's your solution, to play man on man coverage and risk two of the fastest WR's in the league more time to get open?

I would have rather risked that than give them 10-20 yards to make 2 easy catches on us.. like they did..

brimsalabim

Reaction score
How do you get more time? Less time to get open. As it was they were open the moment the ball was snapped. tighter coverage could have forced Matt to hold on to the ball long enough for pressure to get there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":h4l1fp3v said:
Sgt. Largent":h4l1fp3v said:
Grahamhawker":h4l1fp3v said:

I would have rather risked that than give them 10-20 yards to make 2 easy catches on us.. like they did..

.........and I'm telling you with our horrible pass rush, it wouldn't have mattered. Whether you're playing man to man or zone you still have to get pressure on the QB, which we were unable to do.

So hindsight comments like yours don't matter. Ryan would have had time to throw no matter what coverage we were playing.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fphvi4ep said:
Grahamhawker":fphvi4ep said:

Agreed that that is probably SOP in that situation, and had the players executed better it would have been the correct defense. That said, its clearly not the strength of our secondary. Give Browner a chance for press coverage against anybody in the league and I think he stands a reasonable chance of taking that receiver out of the play.

I'm sick of "what-iffing" too. But the bitterness has not completely disappeared yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1nru2cuz said:
I'm sick of "what-iffing" too. But the bitterness has not completely disappeared yet.

Hey I'm with you. I sat and watched the highlights last night like somehow they'd change.

I just don't like Monday morning "hindsighting." If people want to criticize play calling or icing the kicker, that's all fine. But the defensive call WAS the correct call, it just wasn't executed. 100% of teams would have done the EXACT same thing, played zone and either blitzed or dropped 8 into coverage.

Nobody, and I mean nobody presses and plays one on one when you're trying to kill 30 seconds. That's freakin' suicide.

formido

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yt67k8ch said:
Grahamhawker":yt67k8ch said:

Hey I'm with you. I sat and watched the highlights last night like somehow they'd change.

I just don't like Monday morning "hindsighting." If people want to criticize play calling or icing the kicker, that's all fine. But the defensive call WAS the correct call, it just wasn't executed. 100% of teams would have done the EXACT same thing, played zone and either blitzed or dropped 8 into coverage.

Nobody, and I mean nobody presses and plays one on one when you're trying to kill 30 seconds. That's freakin' suicide.

If you don't like Monday morning hind-sighting why are you here? We're here to talk football.

If you'd asked most of us BEFORE the drive if we wanted to blitz one guy and play soft zone, you seriously believe we would have advocated that play? It was not the right play call.

Seattle has been beaten numerous times on scheme at the end of games this year despite having the #1 scoring defense. We have the talent. Scheme was bad.

We could have played a tighter zone. I also don't think we would have been killed in man. I would have preferred almost anything to soft zone. Sherman stayed with his guy step for step most of the game. I would have trusted him to make a play if they tried to go deep. Ryan was choking. If you give him easy wide open targets he can hit those. I don't think he could have landed a clutch deep ball.

Two defensive backs, Browner and Davis, disagree with you. I know who to believe.

Largent80

Reaction score
Regardless of pass rush, all Ryan saw was a ton of green grass in front of him. He is good enough, and has done it enough times to take perfect advantage of that situation, and we should not have given it to him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
formido":248016qm said:
We could have played a tighter zone. I also don't think we would have been killed in man. I would have preferred almost anything to soft zone. Sherman stayed with his guy step for step most of the game. I would have trusted him to make a play if they tried to go deep. Ryan was choking. If you give him easy wide open targets he can hit those. I don't think he could have landed a clutch deep ball.

If this is true, they why weren't you here last week criticizing the zone blitzes on the final plays of the Skins game? Oh that right, cause they worked.

This is not a scheme thing, it's an execution thing.

If Trufant does what he was suppose to do, which is give up the short rout and make sure nothing goes over his head, we're not having this conversation. If Guy doesn't come late on his blitz, we're not having this conversation. If Wagner doesn't get spun around and allow Gonzales the catch and miss the tackle to allow him another 5-6 yards, we're not having this conversation.

You can hindsight all you want, but be consistent. NOBODY on this entire forum criticized the zone blitz scheme last week.

G

That soft zone prevent crap cost us late in Detroit. Almost cost us late in Chicago. Cost us late in Miami. And ended our season in Atlanta. I guess Bradley was too busy interviewing for new jobs to strategize something more effective for the end of a close game. Hopefully someone still hires him because I want to see the talent on this D under Pete's choice of DC.

NJ'S_SEAHAWKS_ZONE

Reaction score
We have the most physical corners in the nfl why not just play press and if they beat us deep so be it but too let them have 2 passes almost completely undefended until the tackles were made is what is tearing me apart still today its gonna linger till next year....... go hawks

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If Jacquizz Rodgers doesn't stonewall our blitzer, this conversation is entirely different. That single blitz pickup might have been the most important non-scoring play of the game for Atlanta.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2v4nzvmy said:
You simply DO NOT leave the middle of the field open. And it was open enough to drive a semi through it. Terrible defensive calls right there, and extremely-poorly executed.
This, the Defense was pretending to blitz Ryan on those last two plays, and most of the secondary foot raced PASSED the recievers, leaving the passing lanes........................W I D E............................. O P E N
Dumb.

ceej22

Reaction score
.........and I'm telling you with our horrible pass rush, it wouldn't have mattered. Whether you're playing man to man or zone you still have to get pressure on the QB, which we were unable to do.

So hindsight comments like yours don't matter. Ryan would have had time to throw no matter what coverage we were playing.

This. Julio, White, Gonzo, Douglas, etc... One of them would have gotten open. Had they been getting pressure on Ryan at all during the game I might feel different, but he had all day to throw that whole game. Clearly not having Clemons hurt more than some (myself) might have thought.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":1zjp5nkg said:
The problem was like Browner said we went Soft Zone, Which no matter if we blitzed or not the CB's should not have been 10 yards up the field. Should have been up to bump the WR to throw them off rout and buy our Dline more time.
EXACTLY,,,The Corners played precicely as they were instructed, and the Falcons Coaching found that by watching the Seahawks tendencies from the Redskins game, they already knew how to position their three best recievers to succeed.
Hell, even IF Browner and Sherman had blanketed Jones & White, that the Seahawks Defense didn't have an answer for Gonzo.
By the way,, Where the hell was Chancellor?, he did the Kam Bam to Vernon Davis, but came nowhere near Gonzalaz.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":3raqxnjo said:

This would make more sense if EITHER of the two completions were to Cruz or White.

Pressing WR's doesn't matter if your LB's and nickel DB can't cover my grandma. Press coverage requires getting to the QB just as much as zone coverage does. More time = someone's open.