Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.

m0ng0

Reaction score
everyone here is an expert C'MON PETE are you reading this ? send me a PM if you want to hire me !

BadGuy711

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1gdv19ez said:
BadGuy711":1gdv19ez said:
I'm no coach, but it seems to me that if you score 4 Touchdowns on the Road, it's not the Playcalling that lost the game.
It is when you score ZERO points in the first half..... you going to defend Bradley too???

So if we had scored 2 in the first half and 2 in the second half he would be an acceptable playcaller? Im no Bevell fanatic, but my point was that 28 Points on the Road in the Playoffs should have won the game. A terrible playcaller would have netted us 0-14 Points. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

strohmin

Reaction score
This is a dumb thread. We came back on the road against a very good team. Offense and Defense had there ups and downs during the game. It was a great game and as fans I think we should enjoy the fight that the team showed. There is no need to start threads calling out anyone on this team.

jdblack

Reaction score
BadGuy711":182vhqx2 said:
So if we had scored 2 in the first half and 2 in the second half he would be an acceptable playcaller?

No. If Bevell called the game exactly as he did, BUT RW had thrown 2 60+ yard passes for 2 TDs, then yeah I would still say that he was a liability, and that those imaginary TDs were made in SPITE of his playcalling.

Counting the numbers of scores is way too simplistic. I think his play-calling was poor because he insisted on running a tired Marshawn into a wall of 8-9 defenders repeatedly. One definition of insansity is performing the same action over & over and expecting to get different results.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
To m0ng0 and those like him, I'd say we nearly won today despite Bevell, not because of him. Seriously, look at his play-calling in the first half of today's game AND last week's game, compared to the second halves of those games. Stop jabbering senselessly and go watch the tape and give it an honest appraisal.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":130eoqvt said:
To m0ng0 and those like him, I'd say we nearly won today despite Bevell, not because of him. Seriously, look at his play-calling in the first half of today's game AND last week's game, compared to the second halves of those games. Stop jabbering senselessly and go watch the tape and give it an honest appraisal.

I think in this case we will have to agree to disagree. I rewatched the first half and actually thought Atlanta's front 4 played one hell of a game. Babineaux in particular. They were getting penetration and really making it hard for our run game to get going.

On that note, yes play-action passing works but it only works if the threat to run is real. If we just gave up on the run and made it less of a threat - Zach Miller would not have had such a great game. So despite what many think - a run that goes nowhere sets up a play-action pass later on. That is what people do not understand I feel - iif the LBs don't bite hard - those plays don't work. And trust me, if we don't run it - they won't bite.

What is more is that we actually moved the ball well in the first half. No our best half but it wasn't poor by any stretch. 2 redzone appearances and a fumble by Lynch at the 40-ish. So despite what everyone is saying about our first half - I thought the play-calling was fine for the most part. We moved the ball and only had a single 3 and out in the so-called rush rush pass formula previously stated. The only problem is that we scored no points - which was an issue last week as well.

I would implore you to chart the first half and you will see that it isn't as bad as you are thinking. Moreover, the second half was absolutely glorious.

I think we forget the 3 and out days of just two season ago.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
At the end of the day - I don't know how a rookie QB gets the rookie play-off passing yardage record in spite of his offensive co-ordination. I think the credit is a little lopsided there. Clearly, Bevell and Cable have created an offense the Wilson can excel in. In play design and the creation of an offensive philosophy - I think Bevell is by far a top-5 co-ordinator these days.

Twisted

Reaction score
well if you don't make adjustments that allow you to adjust you will lose games like these, every time, unless however you flop as hard as the Seahawks did today, then yea, even teams like the Falcons can advance.. ;)

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bevell adjusts well in the second half, he needs to stop starting so blandly. All Russell Wilson has done is prove he can handle a pass-heavy offense in the second half of almost every one of the past 10 games; but still, today, we bash our heads against the wall in the first half. *sigh*

@TDOT: Compare the average number of plays it took us to get a 1st down in the 2nd half of today's game and last week's, compared to the first halves of those games, and you'll see what I'm talking about. (Including how long it took our offense to march the field.) Looking at straight first/second-half yardage totals does not give the whole story.

Simply put, 2nd half = en fuego, 1st half = yawn.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1g5dibvj said:
Bevell adjusts well in the second half, he needs to stop starting so blandly. All Russell Wilson has done is prove he can handle a pass-heavy offense in the second half of almost every one of the past 10 games; but still, today, we bash our heads against the wall in the first half. *sigh*

@TDOT: Compare the average number of plays it took us to get a 1st down in the 2nd half of today's game and last week's, compared to the first halves of those games, and you'll see what I'm talking about. (Including how long it took our offense to march the field.) Looking at straight first/second-half yardage totals does not give the whole story.

Simply put, 2nd half = en fuego, 1st half = yawn.

Yeah but I think that you don't realize that the second half of both of those games are mind-blowingly efficient and the first halves are average. The second half of those games aren't slightly above average and the first half are league worst. I think you have to check your frame of reference. If you compare to our second half in both games you are literally comparing to the NFL equivalent of perfection (i.e. Wilson's y/a was more than 10 for the game)- and if I can have a co-ordinator that can achieve perfection in road play-off games for extended periods of time - I am quite quite happy.

Moreover, the difference has more to do with our sluggish East Coast Road starts and lack of execution than the play-calling. Or at least from watching the film and seeing our offensive line getting blown up tells me that this premise has some weight. To say that play-calling was the only reason for the difference in the halfs is at best terribly myopic and at worst an outright (albeit unintentional) fabrication made due to some unrealized bias that can't be argued against because a proper control can't be created.

You can basically forever say that it was the play-calling and have absolutely no fear of anyone proving that you are wrong because we can not play the game again with different outcomes. At the same time, however, you can never actually prove that you are correct in any reasonable fashion and thus a argumentum ad ignorantiam is created.

For the life of me, I can't understand how we can have the most highly efficient offense in the entire league and people still blame the co-ordinator because not every play works. I can entirely understand if we scored three points and looked like the Jets - but we didn't - with a rookie QB in a road play-off game.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TDOT, this happened in a variety of games in the regular season, too. We beat the Patriots, but they were up on us by 13 in the first half. Hell, most of the GOOD opponents we faced, and even some of the bad, (Jets; remember, we were scared for almost the whole first half of that game; go re-watch it) too. We have been more bland in our play-calling and much better with it in the second half. The second-half improvements CAUSE the much better offense, it's not some magical "second-half mojo" that creates these great offensive second halves we've had. How do you think Atlanta had such a dominant set of TDs against us in the first 3rd of the game? They sure as hell weren't banging their heads against any wall our defense was trying to put up. They kept taking shots at Sherman and Browner that rarely worked, but they didn't overdo it, causing 3-and-outs.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Second half improvements?

So why did we go on a huge long run of scoring on our first possession this season?

There's always got to be someone to moan about hasn't there? We've seen some incredibly creative play calling this year - read-option, pistol, play action, trick plays. We've also seen some conservative stuff, but why is anyone surprised by that for a run first team? Our rookie QB has set records, our running game has dominated most of the time.

It's basically been one long year of success. And to not give the offensive coordinator any respect for that is laughable.

Atradees

Reaction score
Personally, I think we can do better. We could also do worse? Probably. I like Jeremy Bates. If he had the personnel and wasn't
a headcase ???

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
***Wrong thread*** Oh dot net... time to leave the boards for awhile...

...let all the dummies make their ridiculous threads, only to disappear until next season.

See you soon .netters that actually have something worth while to say! Super excited about the draft, time to reload and get ready for another run.

Twisted

Reaction score
yea, Falcons are first rate world beaters, they sure proved that in the second half... lol

like I said, Seahawks wasn't the only team with bonehead coaches out there today..

sure they'll do real well against the Niners or the Pats...

hilarious, Atl would own the record for the most consecutive opponents with total meltdowns in post season play...

nah, no gonna happen...

thats a good one though... "but they were playing a good team" LOL Atl got "great" by playing a total of 3 teams that finished OVER .500 this year, yup, that'll do it... lol, if nothing else I can get some laughs here during the off season...

themunn

Reaction score
BadGuy711":2vjpk8i7 said:
Sports Hernia":2vjpk8i7 said:
BadGuy711":2vjpk8i7 said:
I'm no coach, but it seems to me that if you score 4 Touchdowns on the Road, it's not the Playcalling that lost the game.
It is when you score ZERO points in the first half..... you going to defend Bradley too???

So if we had scored 2 in the first half and 2 in the second half he would be an acceptable playcaller? Im no Bevell fanatic, but my point was that 28 Points on the Road in the Playoffs should have won the game. A terrible playcaller would have netted us 0-14 Points. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

28 points would probably have won us the game if we'd scored 14 in the first half and 14 in the second half.
However, ineffective offense in the first half meant the defense was on the field much longer than they should have been, and you can swing it any way you like but that was almost certainly a factor in giving up big plays by the end of the first half.

cesame

Reaction score
This is probably the worst thread made today.

The Seahawks had close to 200 yards of offense in the 1at half. A Marshawn Lynch fumble, Pete not taking the pts on 4th and 1 and Russell taking a sack is the reason the Seahawls didn't score a pt in the 1st half. Bevell is HARDLY the idiot here.

Besides, the defense absolutely crapped the bed in the first half (even Sherman gave up a huge TD pass). And in the end it was the defense that failed the team.

People can blame coordinators all they want this game, but I put most of this on the players simply not making plays and instead making mistakes.

Lynch fubmle
Russell taking a sack
Chancellor out of position
Earl Thomas getting trucked by Rodgers

We need to stop acting like the players are robots and perform their duties perfectly, and that the only reason they fail is because the coordinators put them in a bad position. Horse crap. The players were simply getting outplayed in the 1st half by the other team and compounded the problem by making some big mistakes. Also, the coach that had the worst day was Carroll, not any of the coordinators.

All that said, this is a young team and they will undoubtedly only grow from this.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cesame":858gx75y said:
This is probably the worst thread made today.

The Seahawks had close to 200 yards of offense in the 1at half. A Marshawn Lynch fumble, Pete not taking the pts on 4th and 1 and Russell taking a sack is the reason the Seahawls didn't score a pt in the 1st half. Bevell is HARDLY the idiot here.

Besides, the defense absolutely crapped the bed in the first half (even Sherman gave up a huge TD pass). And in the end it was the defense that failed the team.

People can blame coordinators all they want this game, but I put most of this on the players simply not making plays and instead making mistakes.

Lynch fubmle
Russell taking a sack
Chancellor out of position
Earl Thomas getting trucked by Rodgers

We need to stop acting like the players are robots and perform their duties perfectly, and that the only reason they fail is because the coordinators put them in a bad position. Horse crap. The players were simply getting outplayed in the 1st half by the other team and compounded the problem by making some big mistakes. Also, the coach that had the worst day was Carroll, not any of the coordinators.

All that said, this is a young team and they will undoubtedly only grow from this.

100% spot on.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I have had my issues with Bevell, but most of them have been squashed since the Chicago game. Now it's just a play or two a game that I scratch my head on. The two that pop to mind are the Lynch fumble in the Skins game (I called run left to Marshawn before the play) and the 4th down call yesterday (I called Robinson before the play). Those are plays you play action and put your mobile QB on the move to make a play with his arm or his legs. My early issues were an extremely conservative offensive gameplan, that I think Pete basically said that was on him trying to keep things simple for Russell to ease him in. That being said, I think we need to do everything possible to keep Bevell around for another year, maybe two. We are on the cusp of something great here, and I don't want to risk any possibility of screwing it up by putting Russell through what has stunted the development of so many young QBs--no continuity of offensive scheme. Now I know Russell is special and he learned the system at Wisconsin and here quickly, but I think if he stays in the same system for a couple years he will be down right scary. After that, he'll become his own OC, ala Peyton Manning.

Barthawk

Reaction score
for 7/9 drives after the first possession, the Seahawks moved the ball on every possession to the Falcons side of the ball..

the first drive ended with Marshawn fumble at the 40 (which was a first down)
EDIT: 38 yd drive ended with a punt at midfield
ended on the 4th and 1 at the 11-12 yard line
ended with the sack at the half
TD to start the 2nd half
TD to cut the lead to 27-14
TD to cut the lead to 27-21
punt at midfield after getting one first down
TD to give us the lead 28-27 with 31 seconds left

I can't fault the play calling or the game plan or in game adjustments.. one 3 and out the whole game and that was the first possession of the game and were down 3-0.. 4 plays later we pick off Ryan and were driving till the fumble