Seahawks 2013 mock draft: Big/Physical focused

cover-2

Reaction score
1st round- (DT/DE) Jesse Williams 6-4 319 lbs. Alabama: Williams is a run-stuffing d-lineman that can play the 1-tech, 3-tech, & 5-tech on our defensive line. He is not the pass rushing DT that we need, but I don’t think that type of player is going to be available to us late in the 1st round. Williams can start at the 3-tech if Alan Branch is not re-signed, and if Branch is re-signed then Williams brings us quality depth coming off the bench. We were lucky this year that the big 3 (Branch, Mebane, Bryant) were not lost for a long stretch of games due to injury, I would feel uncomfortable going into next year without a quality big man to fill in.

2nd round - (CB) Sanders Cummings 6-2 217 lbs. Georgia: Cummings is a big physical CB that has experience playing press coverage. Lane and Maxwell have gotten some love from the Seattle media as being good CB’s, but don’t think it is necessarily warranted. I have scouted both guys when they have played and they are a big drop offs from Browner.

3rd round - (WR) Chris Harper 6-1 230 lbs. Kansas St: Harper’s unique size and physical style of play fit with what are Seahawks team is all about. I mocked Harper to us in the 4th round in the last mock draft that I posted, but that was prior to his standout game in his Bowl Game. The TV commentators calling his Bowl Game really focused on Harper and praised his style of play. Recently his name has started to come up on NFL scouting/mock draft web sites, so by the time the draft arrives he may end up being a 3rd round or even a 2nd round prospect.

4th round – (TE) Dion Sims 6-5 280 lbs. Michigan St: At 280 lbs. Sims is another unique sized player. Sims carries the weight well; he is not a sloppy 280 lbs. Sims is a nice all-around TE although I think he is more of a complimentary TE. If using 2 TE sets, Sims is the TE that will be kept in to block while the other TE could be used more as a receiving TE. But, that’s not to say Sims is a poor receiving option because he has shown in college that he can get his share of catches. Due to his size Sims has the ability to get some yards after contact; defensive players are prone to just bounce off his big body.

5th round – (MLB) Kiko Alonso 6-4 246 lbs. Oregon: Alonso stood out with his physical style of play in his Bowl Game; he looked like a bully out there the way he was hitting guys. I don’t know if he has the speed or coverage skills to be an OLB, but I could see Coach Carroll trying him at weak-side LB. If anything he is quality depth at MLB and his on the field temperament screams special teams stud.

6th round – (DT) Kwame Geathers 6-6 350 lbs. Georgia: Geathers is only a junior; I have read he is considering declaring for the draft. I think he needs to stay for another year to develop into a better player and I could see him falling to the middle rounds of the draft. He is not as talented as his teammate (DT) John Jenkins, but with his size he is an intriguing prospect. I think he could possibly be a good fit as a 5-tech on our defense. He may struggle like Bryant did as a DT, but he could find a home backing up Bryant and possibly starting there if Bryant were to go down.

7th round – (RB/FB) Alex Singleton 6-1 260 lbs. Tulsa: Singleton is not fast or quick, but he does have great size & quick feet when running between the tackles. He is a player that would be the 3rd string RB and 2nd string FB on our team.

kearly

Reaction score
As always, I applaud you for bringing new names to the table.

I see Williams as a likely 1 tech in the NFL. He's not even close to being explosive enough to feature in a pass rush role. I could see him as depth for the Red Bryant role, but we could probably retain Branch on the cheap for that purpose. If Seattle drafted Jesse Williams (assuming Branch is retained), it would be a shocker, IMO.

Agreed on Lane/Maxwell, but I just don't see [Commings] as a likely 2nd round target. Like the pick but I see Commings as a mid rounder.

Harper is an interesting pick. He looks the part physically. This draft is ridiculously loaded for WRs though. I would be surprised if he was the best WR option in the late 3rd. Wasn't Harper a converted QB from Oregon? Lack of experience will hurt his stock. (Don't get me wrong, I like this pick.)

I don't see Alonso reaching the 5th, and I'm also unsure if he fits the profile Pete wants at LB. His speed is just average. Good player, just not sure he fits into the plan.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Is Alonso really listed at 6-4, 245lbs? He looks much smaller than that on tape. I'm not a big fan even in the 5th - I think he'll get eaten alive at the next level.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Just for kicks, nothing better to do so: Based on the 01/10/13 player rankings of the top-200 from National Football Post, (all selections through round 5 are mostly conforming to their rankings). Also includes a few players bantered around lately on this site by others as Seahawk possibles. I would not be disappointed by a draft like this. Note: I believe the Seahawks have extra picks in rounds 5 & 7.

RD. 1 - OLB-Arthur Brown, Why? = Replacement for Leroy Hill that improves LB position significantly. Ogilive will be gone by this pick.
RD. 2 - WR-Da'Rick Rogers, Why? = A tall, fast & great receiver that falls from RD. 1 - due to pot.
RD. 3 - TE-Jordan Reed, Why? = Joker TE pass catcher that can line up in multiple spots & help RW.
RD. 4 - DE-Mallaciah Goodman, Why? = Insurance at DE?, possible move to 3-tech eventually?
RD. 5 - RB/KR-Kerwynn Williams, Why? = Change of pace RB /KR, eventually replacing Leon.
RD .5 - OT-Oscar Johnson, Why? = Good later round depth at OT that is needed.
RD. 6 - DT-Chris Jones, Why? = Developmental 3-Tech with great upside. Don't sleep on him!
RD. 7 - DE-Quanterus Smith, Why? = Developmental DE W/good upside (that falls due to injury?)
RD. 7 - CB-Keith McGill, Why = Developmental CB (6'-3") W/very high upside in tall CB mode.
UDFA'S: QB-Matt Scott, WR-Martel Moore, CB-Jason Verrett, K-Dustin Harper.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":1tyd0dor said:
As always, I applaud you for bringing new names to the table.

I see Williams as a likely 1 tech in the NFL. He's not even close to being explosive enough to feature in a pass rush role. I could see him as depth for the Red Bryant role, but we could probably retain Branch on the cheap for that purpose. If Seattle drafted Jesse Williams (assuming Branch is retained), it would be a shocker, IMO.

Agreed on Lane/Maxwell, but I just don't see [Commings] as a likely 2nd round target. Like the pick but I see Commings as a mid rounder.

Harper is an interesting pick. He looks the part physically. This draft is ridiculously loaded for WRs though. I would be surprised if he was the best WR option in the late 3rd. Wasn't Harper a converted QB from Oregon? Lack of experience will hurt his stock. (Don't get me wrong, I like this pick.)

I don't see Alonso reaching the 5th, and I'm also unsure if he fits the profile Pete wants at LB. His speed is just average. Good player, just not sure he fits into the plan.

This mock I really just focused on the players that were big for thier position, yet still were good players. I for the most part I only include players in my mocks drafts that I have scouted.

Williams is one of my favorite DT's in the draft. I agree that Williams is not a great fit as a 3-tech and his best fit is 5-tech & 1-tech on our team.

Cummings I think could excel on our defense, because his size and ability to play press-man. He is not going to fit every teams' defensive scheme, so he vary well may be available in the 3rd or 4th round. Trade out Cummings for U of Connecticut (CB) Blidi Wreh-Wilson is probably more realistic. Blidi is my favorite CB outside of the 1st round. Blidi has flown under the radar until recently, now his name is starting to show up in the 2nd & 3rd rounds on some mock draft web sites. Blidi is 6-2 190 lbs and fits Coach Carroll pro-type CB. He played a lot of man-press and he has plays the ball when its in the air. Blidi has the potential to be the best CB in this draft, but time will tell. I don't know if he is going to run any better than a 4.55 40-yard dash at the NFL draft combine, but Browner & Sherman aren't speed demons either.

Kansas St (WR) Chris Harper is one of my favorite players in the draft, which is why I have a difficult time leaving him out of my mocks. Yes, Harper was a QB his freshman year at Oregon, but he switched to WR when he transferred to Kansas St. He has been a WR the last 3 years, so IMO that shouldn't have an negative effect on his draft stock. Golden Tate was a WR for only 4 years prior to the draft and he was selected in the 2nd round. I rate Harper higher than a lot of other big name WR's that are projected to go in the first four rounds of the draft. IMO Chris Harper = Anquan Boldin (when Boldin was in his prime with the Cardinals). Harper like Boldin is not a burner, Boldin ran a 4.6 or 4.7 40-yard time at the NFL combine, but both players make up for it with good hands & a physical style of play.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":uow8llip said:
Is Alonso really listed at 6-4, 245lbs? He looks much smaller than that on tape. I'm not a big fan even in the 5th - I think he'll get eaten alive at the next level.

Yeah, he listed as 6-4 242 lbs on Oregon's web site. But, who knows; Bruce Irvin is listed at 248 lbs. on the Seahawks web site and I would be surprised if he weighed more that 230 lbs.

Latest posts