Have your feelings changed during the week?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I just kinda worry about some fans, usually younger fans that aren't that clear on our history, and are only envisioning victory... and I mean the one's that know we're gonna win the Superbowl (which is ridiculous). After 30+ years of rabid fan-hood with this team, I have learned to temper my expectations and go into huge games like this one assuming we'll blow it, 'cause that's almost always what seems to happen. That way I'm not devastated like I used to get, and probably more thrilled when we win the big ones than the people expecting it, 'cause it's a surprise! Back in the day (80's, 90's), I'd get so upset after losses that I'd slap off the TV and go sit in my dark bedroom stewing and drinking until I fell asleep. I'm still that way a little bit.
Nowadays, I always have my DVR recording the game, and if we're getting our asses kicked I let the recording continue but I turn the channel and bring up the NFL.com gametracker on my computer. That way, especially on away games, I don't have to listen to the opposing teams fans going nuts, which always infuriates me. I'll just glance at the tracker occasionally while watching a movie or something. Then if I see we come back and tie it up or something, I'll turn the tv back to the game. This is how I avoid getting all pissed off and start doing stupid stuff like throwing the remote or something across the room like a complete jackass. This is what I did during the Redskins game when we went down 14-zip. It's just my way of dealing with it. I don't like being that pissed off, and this little ritual keeps the blood pressure below heart-attack level. I ain't no spring chicken anymore, and I just hate getting that pissed off at my age. (51)

Largent80

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3rzei009 said:
There's just something about this team. It feels like a special run.

But I don't think I will be devastated if we lose. Bummed, for sure. But the future is bright. With the team we have...another Carroll/Schneider draft and free agency round will make us a bona fide powerhouse.

Good times to be a Hawks fan!

This sums it up for me, but I am ultra confident.

pehawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":352orxua said:
I just kinda worry about some fans, usually younger fans that aren't that clear on our history, and are only envisioning victory... and I mean the one's that know we're gonna win the Superbowl (which is ridiculous). After 30+ years of rabid fan-hood with this team, I have learned to temper my expectations and go into huge games like this one assuming we'll blow it, 'cause that's almost always what seems to happen. That way I'm not devastated like I used to get, and probably more thrilled when we win the big ones than the people expecting it, 'cause it's a surprise! Back in the day (80's, 90's), I'd get so upset after losses that I'd slap off the TV and go sit in my dark bedroom stewing and drinking until I fell asleep. I'm still that way a little bit.
Nowadays, I always have my DVR recording the game, and if we're getting our asses kicked I let the recording continue but I turn the channel and bring up the NFL.com gametracker on my computer. That way, especially on away games, I don't have to listen to the opposing teams fans going nuts, which always infuriates me. I'll just glance at the tracker occasionally while watching a movie or something. Then if I see we come back and tie it up or something, I'll turn the tv back to the game. This is how I avoid getting all pissed off and start doing stupid stuff like throwing the remote or
something across the room like a complete jackass. This is what I did during the Redskins game when we went down 14-zip. It's just my way of dealing with it. I don't like being that pissed off, and this little ritual keeps the blood pressure below heart-attack level. I ain't no spring chicken anymore, and I just hate getting that pissed off at my age. (51)

+1

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Not changed just intensified. Atlanta is in our way and they have no idea what's coming. This team is so well rounded they are the envy of virtually every organization right now. Headhunting our coaching staff is the first evidence of that. The teams weaknesses are superior to some teams strong suit at the moment. The word special is overused these days but this Seahawks team is certainly onto something very potent! Fun times to be a fan.

Go Hawks!

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Man this is why I love this site. Being a fan since day one and growing up with the Hawks my whole life I feel just like so many of you do. I DVR the games like Blue Thunder and like many I am pessimistic about big games like this because I am so used to seeing us lose. Heck we have ended each season with a loss.

Like the rest of you this team is different. After we fell behind by 14 last week I felt calm and reassured. By no means did I think we would come back for sure, but I felt comforted that it was all good. Yes, I would have been bummed if we had lost and I was stoked that we won. Things are definitely different this time around. I guess for me it's because we have come so far so quickly and are so young. I love the players and am bought into the team building and coaching philosophies. If we don't get it this year we really may and probably should next year or the year after. That said, we definitely can do it this year so why not.

I think we are totally set up to beat the Falcons and believe it will be a tough game but we will do it. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them pretty handily. I think the final score will be 24-17 with them scoring a late TD making it look closer than it was. If we lose we will continue to build and get better in the off season and what a ride we will be in for next year.

Go Hawks Win Forever!!

SharkHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":vbmxi9fq said:
My feelings are that I am jazzed to hear our fans and local media enjoy the ride. This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons ever. I always hope/expect the team to win deep in my heart. I just like to keep control of my emotions and use a level head to keep me in check. Deep down, I am a nut about the Seahawks. Not sure why, but it has been a 30 plus year ride.

I am going to enjoy the rest of the season, just as I have for what has happened so far. I am a dreamer. I tend to want we as a people, fanbase etc to be able to be share our fears, hopes and dreams about the team, yet remain cordial to one another. Not sure why it even matters but it does. I have realized several times that we really aren't family, but just like my logical vs emotional self, I go with what I believe we can be.

If this game does not end the way I want, I will deal with the pain at that time. Until this party is over, I am going to soak it all in. Time is moving on for all of us. Some of you are going to be lucky enough to have decades more to enjoy this team. I hope I can get many more myself.

I loved hearing from Mudbone today. Hasselbeck today. The list goes on and on. Our guys aren't immortalized due to our past mediocre existence. I look forward to the new blood making others to take note and respect what this organization can become.

Tons of thoughts and emotions run through me. I am proud of this team. With all its warts and imperfections it still has played its guts out. I expect the same this weekend.

Let fate decide how it chooses to reward the effort. I will not forget the spirit. In the end, all of us Seahawks fans want the same thing. That is what I hope others that may not think I am onboard in the correct manner can understand. I know we all have our hearts in the right place. It is the mind that divides us if we so choose to let it.

Let's get this party started!

Wow. Just wow. I'm 100% goosebumps right now. For real. Thank you Doc. You are the man and I wish I could express myself so well. I feel what you're saying to my core.

grizbob

Reaction score
Nope, anything less than an NFC Championship game will be a disappointment still :180670:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Like many of you I'd be somewhat content if our season ended after this week BUT we can't assume we'd be here again next year riding the same wave of confidence and having avoided as many injuries as we have.
This Hawks team has overcome hardships on and off the field and they've learned to finish games by trusting one another as evidenced by their mantra "We're All We Got. We're All We Need."
There were many questions going into this season that have yeilded many pleasant surprises and revelations all of which have come to shape and harden this Seahawks team. They are a talented bunch. But they are beyond just talented. They are healthy, formidable and disciplined. What's more they are focused and confident but not naive. We can't be content waiting for next year. We've got to go into this playoffs thinking the Lombardi is ours for the taking just like when the Saints won their first title.

themunn

Reaction score
BlueThunder":nmjy1jjs said:
Nowadays, I always have my DVR recording the game, and if we're getting our asses kicked I let the recording continue but I turn the channel and bring up the NFL.com gametracker on my computer. That way, especially on away games, I don't have to listen to the opposing teams fans going nuts, which always infuriates me. I'll just glance at the tracker occasionally while watching a movie or something. Then if I see we come back and tie it up or something, I'll turn the tv back to the game. This is how I avoid getting all pissed off and start doing stupid stuff like throwing the remote or something across the room like a complete jackass. This is what I did during the Redskins game when we went down 14-zip. It's just my way of dealing with it. I don't like being that pissed off, and this little ritual keeps the blood pressure below heart-attack level. I ain't no spring chicken anymore, and I just hate getting that pissed off at my age. (51)

I never get that upset over football, but I go into every game thinking we're going to win, and still know we're going to win the Superbowl until we're mathematically eliminated or put out of the playoffs.

Where's the fun in being realistic? The whole point of being a sports fan is to be optimistically overconfident in everything that faces you, even when the 2007 Patriots come to face the 2009 Seahawks I still believe!!!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
themunn":206ywmme said:
The whole point of being a sports fan is to be optimistically overconfident in everything that faces you

I would disagree, as would many others on this board. This statement is the definition of what we call the "Rose-colored glasses" fan. It's the word "overconfident" that separtes the two types of fans. There are a good many optimistic "Realist" fans that know losing is always possible and usually aren't that surpised when it happens. Disappointed, yes, but not devastated... for the most part. I'm a realist fan, but losing big games hurts everybody, and I will be extremely disappointed if we lose to the Falcons, but I'm looking at the game optimistically. I guess there is a third type of fan... The pessimistic realist. You know, the "I told you we were gonna lose!" guy? But lets not go there... :)

hawker232

Reaction score
The day after the Washington game, I was a little worried. But as the week went on, I began to become more and more confident about what this team can and will do on Sunday. It just seems like nothing could get in our way right now, we're just too hot and confident.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
My confidence is rising. After seeing Baltimore win I felt good like they are a defensive team that runs the ball and Denver is a passing team, so that our team model can win away against passing team.

Then with SF waxing GB I fell like maybe we are not only the hottest team in the league but maybe we really are the best team in the league. Man for Man I think seattle is very even with SF and if they can dominate on their way to the NFC championship then we can to. I'm changing my 28-24 Loss prediction to a 31-21 Victory.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Before SF won, I thought we are capable of winning, but if we didn't I could live with it considering my preseason expectations.

Now we have to win. There's no way SF can advance and only have ATL between them and the super bowl.

BigHawks

Reaction score
Enough other people / journos are underestimating... No reason for us to. We've got a real team, with a few players I'd be worried about if I were on the other side.

Nothing guaranteed. But confidence in this team is not misplaced.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
After watching the refs in the Bronco/Raven game, I'm EXTREMELY worried that it'll be like that for our game. If that happens, we are flat-out SCREWED! I'm feeling sick just thinking about what the refs could do to us tomorrow!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
BlueThunder":33x8w9wq said:

I meant to respond to this. Dude, despite a few minor details, I felt like I was reading my own words. I am sure there's more than a few of us.