Atlanta against mobile QB's

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
austinslater25":38c2de4u said:
I'm curious why this isn't brought up more. Atlanta struggles against the run and I expect Lynch to have a big day because of it. But Atlanta also gave up a 100 yards a game against Newton this year. Everyone wants to talk about their passing offense and its matchup with our DB's. Our running game against this defense seems to be the most lopsided matchup of the game and that tends to bode well for Seattle. If they can't stop Wilson or Lynch it makes our zone read packages and our play action even tougher to defend. This is getting surprisingly little talk on the board....

Bob Griffin!

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

formido

Reaction score
If he thinks their run d is any good at all, he's way off. Atlanta's run d is bad and bad against bad competition.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
If its power you worry about than Lynch will bring that but if you really think the power is the issue you should be more worried about the physical nature of the entire Seahawks team. We have big hitters in every position group on the team and that is ome of the major focus points of the team. Beat em and bruise em. Make them want the end of the game to come alreafy.

If you go back and watch our games you will see opponents trying to match the physical nature but it's not something you can turn on and off. The teams that have given us the most trouble aren't the teams that are high octaine finesse types, it's teams that have a natural physical nature. Miami sucks but they are very physical. The Rams,AZ and Niners are also very physical. The ony exception would be Detroit and that game was a do or die for them and it came down to the wite with multiplr lead changes in the last few minutes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
On film, the option seemed to really confuse the Falcons linebackers. They'd make "stops" here and there (i.e. 3-4 yard gains) .. but for the most part, Carolina broke off chunks of yardage off them.

Exar0s

Reaction score
formido":a7m721e2 said:
If he thinks their run d is any good at all, he's way off. Atlanta's run d is bad and bad against bad competition.

Now I have been nice during my time here and even defended you guys on our forums. This is getting silly though. I'm all for being a die hard fan of the team you love but lets not start throwing out this kind of junk.

Let's see this "bad competition" Atlanta has faced all year:

Jamaal Charles (#4 NFL Rushing Yards)
Peyton Hillis
Willis McGahee
DeAngelo Williams (x2)
Johnathan Stewart (x2)
Alfred Morris (#2 NFL Rushing Yards)
Darren McFadden
LeSean McCoy
Chris Ivory (x2)
Mark Ingram (x2)
Pierre Thomas (x2)
Doug Martin (#5 NFL Rushing Yards) (x2)

That list holds 3 of the top 5 rushers in the league. Plus several recent pro bowlers. Don't act as if we had a bunch of no names running wild on us. Seattle is also not the only team we play that has a scrambling QB /good RB combo. RG3/Morris (We owned that game despite the score), Newton/Stewart/Williams, Vick/McCoy, Freeman/Martin. RG3 had what 7 yards before we sent him out of the game. Vick didn't fare much better. Newton however did have some success against us. His second game stats against us were padded with one huge run of 72 yards.

I like seeing a confident fan base but we didn't lock up the # 1 seed or secure 13 wins by looking pretty. Games aren't decided on paper either.

HawksFan83

Reaction score
Its not about being just a "mobile qb" its the Read Option that is what Kills the Falcons.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1g8yltpe said:
What you failed to mention is that Atlanta struggles against big, PHYSICAL, mobile QB's such as Cam Newton. Atlanta can handle the smaller QB's. We held Robert Griffin and Mike Vick in check. Griffin only rushing for 7 and Vick for 42. I don't expect Wilson to be a problem.

Mike Who? meaning who cares about Michael Vick. No body.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Exar0s":jdaq3qof said:
formido":jdaq3qof said:

Now I have been nice during my time here and even defended you guys on our forums. This is getting silly though. I'm all for being a die hard fan of the team you love but lets not start throwing out this kind of junk.

Peyton Hillis
Willis McGahee
DeAngelo Williams (x2)
Johnathan Stewart (x2)
Darren McFadden
LeSean McCoy
Chris Ivory (x2)
Mark Ingram (x2)
Pierre Thomas (x2)

That list holds 3 of the top 5 rushers in the league. Plus several recent pro bowlers. Don't act as if we had a bunch of no names running wild on us. Seattle is also not the only team we play that has a scrambling QB /good RB combo. RG3/Morris (We owned that game despite the score), Newton/Stewart/Williams, Vick/McCoy, Freeman/Martin. RG3 had what 7 yards before we sent him out of the game. Vick didn't fare much better. Newton however did have some success against us. His second game stats against us were padded with one huge run of 72 yards.

I like seeing a confident fan base but we didn't lock up the # 1 seed or secure 13 wins by looking pretty. Games aren't decided on paper either.

Taking all of that into account, Football Outsiders has the Falcons ranked 20th against the run. Call it a below average run D then. Statistical projection of 33 attempts, 191 total rushing yards and a 5.8 average per carry for the Seahawks on Sunday. Projection for Atlanta, 23 attempts, 65 yards at 2.8 ypc. Not predictions, but projections.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Exar0s":qsonaukz said:

Peyton Hillis
Willis McGahee
DeAngelo Williams (x2)
Johnathan Stewart (x2)
Darren McFadden
LeSean McCoy
Chris Ivory (x2)
Mark Ingram (x2)
Pierre Thomas (x2)

There's not a single QB/RB combo out there that compares to Wilson/Lynch. It's no coincidence that none of the guys you listed are in the playoffs. Some came nowhere near it.

sutz

Reaction score
I pity the fool who thinks he can beat Russell Wilson because he's "smaller."

it ain't happened yet.

:mrgreen:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
TJH":24n2grcw said:
True, but they also did really well against Bob Griffin's running.

Bob left the game early in the 2nd half so not exactly a great example.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":287f6ere said:
What you failed to mention is that Atlanta struggles against big, PHYSICAL, mobile QB's such as Cam Newton. Atlanta can handle the smaller QB's. We held Robert Griffin and Mike Vick in check. Griffin only rushing for 7 and Vick for 42. I don't expect Wilson to be a problem.

You can't even compare Vick to Wilson, Vick isn't a good QB at all.

RG3 left early in the 2nd half so you can't even count that game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321007028

Griffin was injured early in the second half while trying to scramble for the end zone on third-and-goal from the 3.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Has anyone the Seahawks have played this year "stopped" Wilson? He presents unique problems for each team we have faced. He's like a Swiss army knife with pants! And when he isn't beating you with his feet, he's dropping 50 yarders to GT or Rice. Wrap them up and you get a dose of Baldwin or Miller over the middle. Take them away and he'll find McCoy, lynch, Robinson or Turbin. The problem isn't just Wilson, its that we have so many solid threats all over the board, that no true standout exists. I like our chances!

Go Hawks!

theoaklandphenom

Reaction score
SeaWolv":39u6lc7h said:
Dirty Bird":39u6lc7h said:

Griffin was injured early in the second half while trying to scramble for the end zone on third-and-goal from the 3.

Yeah, I doubt very seriously you watched that game. RG3 left midway in the third quarter. He had 98 yards of total offense, which is about what he had against you guys in the first quarter when he was remotely healthy.

Skins' O couldn't put the ball in the endzone that game until Cousins came in.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
theoaklandphenom":1xmb8u75 said:
SeaWolv":1xmb8u75 said:
Dirty Bird":1xmb8u75 said:

Yeah, I doubt very seriously you watched that game. RG3 left midway in the third quarter. He had 98 yards of total offense, which is about what he had against you guys in the first quarter when he was remotely healthy.

Skins' O couldn't put the ball in the endzone that game until Cousins came in.

I didn't watch the game, what does that have to do with anything? FYI the quote above was directly from ESPN. Did you see the link I happened to put above it? Having said that I would characterize half way through the 3rd quarter as early part of the 2nd half.

ATLFalFan

Reaction score
You guys can run for 400 yards but you won't be getting to the paint. That's all that matters. Since you want to talk about that stats look that up.