Updated mock draft + a few thoughts

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Image

    For those interested in this type of thing:

    LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/mock-draft ... th-january

    Two round mock. Also listed 'best available' at all positions for further rounds.

    I've also written a sub-piece on why I think Kansas City should draft Matt Barkley and some other notes...

    Tennessee defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore today declared for the draft. He’s a former transfer from Alabama. This is a boost for Seahawks fans hoping to identify a mid-round defensive tackle who can rush the passer. Sentimore is a fiery character, he weighs 290lbs and is 6-2 in height. He never truly delivered on his promise in college, but he has a lot of talent. He could be on Seattle’s radar. I’ve also left out Brandon Coleman in this weeks projection. Rutgers coach Kyle Flood says he doesn’t expect any more players to turn pro before the January 15th deadline and Coleman is yet to commit either way. I think he’d be better off turning pro given the quarterback situation, but it appears he might be spending another year in college. He’s only a redshirt sophomore.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8051
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:16 pm
  • A small note on Dion Jordan who i noticed you said needs to get healthy for the combine:

    @TonyPauline

    Can now confirm Dion Jordan/OLB-DE/Oregon will have surgery to repair a torn labrum..


    Hurt it back in the Colorado game so he played the last 5 games with it. Not sure of the recovery time on this surgery? Hopefully he'll be ready for the combine.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18602
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 pm
  • I'm getting a broken link message.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    User avatar
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:24 am
    Location: Charlottesville, VA


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Image

    For those interested in this type of thing:

    LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/mock-draft ... th-january

    Two round mock. Also listed 'best available' at all positions for further rounds.

    I've also written a sub-piece on why I think Kansas City should draft Matt Barkley and some other notes...

    Tennessee defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore today declared for the draft. He’s a former transfer from Alabama. This is a boost for Seahawks fans hoping to identify a mid-round defensive tackle who can rush the passer. Sentimore is a fiery character, he weighs 290lbs and is 6-2 in height. He never truly delivered on his promise in college, but he has a lot of talent. He could be on Seattle’s radar. I’ve also left out Brandon Coleman in this weeks projection. Rutgers coach Kyle Flood says he doesn’t expect any more players to turn pro before the January 15th deadline and Coleman is yet to commit either way. I think he’d be better off turning pro given the quarterback situation, but it appears he might be spending another year in college. He’s only a redshirt sophomore.



    I too think KC should take Barkley...with the first pick in the second rd. IMO, which isn't worth much, there's not a QB in this draft that should be taken in the top 15. I like Barkley, but I will be stunned if he becomes anything other than another great USC QB that proves to be mediocre at the next level. Especially if he's drafted at the top of the 1st, which means he will be expected to start and contribute immediately.

    With the above in mind, I think Flynn presents a whole bunch more value this year than he did last. I don't want to move Flynn at all, whether he wants to go elsewhere or not (too bad) but IF we feel compelled to move him (and his salary), all things considered, I think we'd be in position to get a late 2nd, high 3rd for him. If not, He should stay put, IMO.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5655
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm
  • The site is down? "suspended" it says...
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8706
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm
  • The server has been having issues the last few months. Not sure what the story is.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11202
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 am
  • Sorry my host switched to a more consistent server last night and the site was down for a few hours.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8051
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm
  • Why would we draft Ertz when we already have Zach Miller? That makes no sense to me.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

    -- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    User avatar
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3371
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm
    Location: Seattle, WA - USA


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm
  • MLOhawks wrote:Why would we draft Ertz when we already have Zach Miller? That makes no sense to me.


    Because the team runs a lot of 2TE sets and would almost certainly like to run more. There's a reason the Seahawks brought in Jacob Tamme and Visanthe Shiancoe for a free agent meeting last year, then traded for Kellen Winslow and expressed interest in Fred Davis before he was franchised. Darrell Bevell was all over Coby Fleener at his pro-day last year. They clearly wanted to add to this position.

    The concept of two dynamic TE's is not foreign to the league. New England do it with great success. Stanford use their two TE's as primary receivers, it's a great way to run PA and play run heavy. What's more Ertz played a lot of snaps out wide or in the slot. He's much more athletic than Miller - as evidenced by the downfield bomb he collected in the Rose Bowl, where he ran a deep route and got in behind two defensive backs.

    It's not a crazy concept. And if people truly believe Seattle are in a position to go BPA... well there's also that too.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8051
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:21 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    MLOhawks wrote:Why would we draft Ertz when we already have Zach Miller? That makes no sense to me.


    Because the team runs a lot of 2TE sets and would almost certainly like to run more. There's a reason the Seahawks brought in Jacob Tamme and Visanthe Shiancoe for a free agent meeting last year, then traded for Kellen Winslow and expressed interest in Fred Davis before he was franchised. Darrell Bevell was all over Coby Fleener at his pro-day last year. They clearly wanted to add to this position.

    The concept of two dynamic TE's is not foreign to the league. New England do it with great success. Stanford use their two TE's as primary receivers, it's a great way to run PA and play run heavy. What's more Ertz played a lot of snaps out wide or in the slot. He's much more athletic than Miller - as evidenced by the downfield bomb he collected in the Rose Bowl, where he ran a deep route and got in behind two defensive backs.

    It's not a crazy concept. And if people truly believe Seattle are in a position to go BPA... well there's also that too.


    Have you looked at Travis Kelce at all? He seems an intriguing prospect and a guy who they could get lower down than Ertz.
    User avatar
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 620
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm
  • While I don't see him falling out of the first round the way some mocks have him I don't see Barkley even close to the number 1 pick and I don't think KC will either. His shoulder injury wont help his cause either. He slides.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9284
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm
  • That makes sense English, the Pats have obviously enjoyed much success with two good TE's.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

    -- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    User avatar
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3371
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm
    Location: Seattle, WA - USA


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:While I don't see him falling out of the first round the way some mocks have him I don't see Barkley even close to the number 1 pick and I don't think KC will either. His shoulder injury wont help his cause either. He slides.


    KC have to take the best QB... so they'll pick their poison here. I think Reid will think the best QB is Barkley. And the shoulder injury means very little. Sam Bradford missed an entire season after picking up his second shoulder injury and was #1 overall. Christian Ponder was always suffering elbow/shoulder injuries.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8051
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm
  • Love the Hawks Round 2 pick. He'd be DREAMY.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:13 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:While I don't see him falling out of the first round the way some mocks have him I don't see Barkley even close to the number 1 pick and I don't think KC will either. His shoulder injury wont help his cause either. He slides.


    KC have to take the best QB... so they'll pick their poison here. I think Reid will think the best QB is Barkley. And the shoulder injury means very little. Sam Bradford missed an entire season after picking up his second shoulder injury and was #1 overall. Christian Ponder was always suffering elbow/shoulder injuries.


    True, but that class will serve as caution. Reid knows QBs and if he takes Barkley so be it. I just don't know if I would say its a garuntee just yet. Especially with a weak class and other options later.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9284
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm
  • Quick, name a QB who has struggled under Andy Reid. I'll wait. Go ahead. No, name one QB tha's struggled under Reid.

    Point is, you cant really. Yes, Vick played like garbage this year, but only after they were signing street FA's to block for him

    Fact is, Reid make's the QB, not the other way around. If I know that, Reid knows that. He'll try and trade down first (lets not forget the Eagles we're a VERY savvy team this way w/Reid).

    I'm not sure he'll take Barkley. The Chiefs may be one "Matt Flynn" away from competing for that weak division. It's a young and talented roster.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm
  • You mean just like they were a Matt Cassel away from competing in that weak division?
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8051
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:You mean just like they were a Matt Cassel away from competing in that weak division?


    No, not really.

    But, McNabb, Garcia, Kolb, Vick, Foles (I'm missing some) all thrived under Reid. I could throw for 2,500 and 18TD's in a Reid system is my point. I'm not sure he'll bite on a QB prospect who isn't far and away the #1 because of it.

    I actually dig Barkley.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 pm
  • I think that you meant Justin Smith.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.

    Yes. I am not happy so much. I am too seriously! .. Kap is not a great leader period!! Hurt my heart and s**t my painfully. ..
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2241
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:I think that you meant Justin Smith.


    No, I'm pretty sure he meant Emmit or Steve.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10181
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 pm
  • If Seattle goes TE I'd like them to look at Dion Sims in the later rounds as he seems to be more of physical specimen, all around TE (6'5, 285) and had limited production due to bad QB play.

    Hard to say, if Pete is looking for speed/catching and not huge blocking outlet type, if Bevell stays or goes after a head coaching position that might change priorities also.

    Any thoughts on Sims Rob?
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    User avatar
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1797
    Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:52 pm
  • This mock has us taking Terrence Williams WR from Baylor in the first.

    http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php


    I really doubt we take a WR in the first, though if all the good Dline guys are gone and no good TE is there, then WR may be the pick.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

    -- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    User avatar
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3371
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm
    Location: Seattle, WA - USA


Re: Updated mock draft + a few thoughts
Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:36 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:A small note on Dion Jordan who i noticed you said needs to get healthy for the combine:

    @TonyPauline

    Can now confirm Dion Jordan/OLB-DE/Oregon will have surgery to repair a torn labrum..


    Hurt it back in the Colorado game so he played the last 5 games with it. Not sure of the recovery time on this surgery? Hopefully he'll be ready for the combine.



    Only need labrum for bench in the combine for the most part...he has that Alcon smith thing so he'll be fine. Labrum a pain in the ass but not something as mentioned before, that will stop him from playing

    Just annoying
    zayden185
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 599
    Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am




It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests