Blitzing

Badjujus

Reaction score
With our scheme and all it really seems that we dont blitz...

Can someone recall during 2010 and 11 if we blitzed more often.

I just pray carroll is holding back a rabid pack of devil dogs that come alive in the Sb and sack Manning/brady 10 times.

I JUST WANT TO BE INSIDE THEIR BRAINS!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Be careful what one wishes for, blitzing too much is a double-edged sword. It can work or hurt. Blitzing Matt Ryan, IMO, is not a good idea. He's got great weapons and has experience to beat the blitz. He has a legendary TE, top WR, and a good slot receiver in Harry Douglas. If they use Jeron Johnson, as they did against Redskins late in that game, then that would work. Johnson has proved he's capabale of getting to the QB in a hurry. I'd like to see Hill rush the passer more as well from the LB spot. Early in his career, Hill was an excellent pass rush LB. I believe he had 7-8 sacks in 2005.

themunn

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3fxu7z66 said:
Be careful what one wishes for, blitzing too much is a double-edged sword. It can work or hurt. Blitzing Matt Ryan, IMO, is not a good idea. He's got great weapons and has experience to beat the blitz. He has a legendary TE, top WR, and a good slot receiver in Harry Douglas. If they use Jeron Johnson, as they did against Redskins late in that game, then that would work. Johnson has proved he's capabale of getting to the QB in a hurry. I'd like to see Hill rush the passer more as well from the LB spot. Early in his career, Hill was an excellent pass rush LB. I believe he had 7-8 sacks in 2005.

there's blitzing too much and there's blitzing too little.

It's good that we can on occasion bring a blitz and have it work fantastically because the offense doesn't expect it
But it's bad that they don't expect it, you need to blitz enough so that they're wary at all times and this affects decision making and playtime.

And just like Kam hitting TEs in the middle a couple of times makes them wary of catching balls, getting a few QB hits is great for disrupting rhythm of the QB and instilling fear.

Right now we don't blitz enough, I'm not saying do what Washington do - that kind of blitzing needs to be done because they don't have a great secondary, however, we do and hence don't need to rely on it as much - in fact as has been proven, we can get by without it fairly well, but it'd be stupid to ignore it completely, I like the safety blitzes with ET the best, the QB has to get rid of the ball quickly so he is still doing his job essentially - taking away the deep ball, as typically the QB will check down to a TE or RB (if he has time) who should be able to be stopped by the LBs or Kam.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh no Mattie Ice don't blitz him, he will pick us apart, he's better then Brady, Manning,Brees Farve he will kill us. Better to let him have all day and make our defense run around and try to cover 3 or 4 of the better receivers in the game for 5 to 10 seconds every play.

formido

Reaction score
We held teams to the 3rd lowest passer rating in the NFL this year so not blitzing is working perfectly.

parson420

Reaction score
Remember, we don't have Clemons on the d line. We may blitz a little more than usual.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Maybe the Falcons think that since there is no Clemons there will be more blitzing so the Seahawks coaches will plan for less blitzes. But then the Falcons will realize this and then the Seahawks will have to call more blitzes to trick them. But the Falcons anticipate this so the Seahawks will trick them by blitzing the usual amount.

hawker84

Reaction score
formido":2u2e8x0s said:
We held teams to the 3rd lowest passer rating in the NFL this year so not blitzing is working perfectly.

true that worked good with clemons on the line and rushing 4, if bruce can't generate pressure they might have to go with some blitz packages to compensate.

Falcan Moore

Reaction score
I honestly hope you blitz him, just because that leaves less people on our wideouts, and Ryan has been top 10 consistently against the blitz year after year, top 5 for three of the years I believe. It's pressure with the front four that gets him. Especially interior push. Need your DL to step it up.

Reaction score
Falcan Moore":33by7z0r said:
I honestly hope you blitz him, just because that leaves less people on our wideouts, and Ryan has been top 10 consistently against the blitz year after year, top 5 for three of the years I believe. It's pressure with the front four that gets him. Especially interior push. Need your DL to step it up.

Agreed. Our D line has to push in order to delay and stop Ryan passing the ball. We will get our sacks...pressure from our down lineman for sure. Ryan has some great tools at the LOS, but we are not afraid to play press coverage with our D line wrecking havoc.

sc85sis

Reaction score
We can blitz a little, but if we do we have to be prepared for the screens. We also can throw some blitz fakes in there.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Ya can't make a living off of blitzing guys like Ryan, Payton, and Pretty Boy. It would be a short lived career.

zayden185

Reaction score
If pretty boy is Matt Ryan...he isn't Brady or mannings. Or even Eli for that matter