Skip Bayless on Richard Sherman

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Skip Bayless on Richard Sherman
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:51 am
  • This morning ol Skip said he was trying to like the Seahawks but he can't because of Richard Sherman and his loud mouth "personal attacks" on players. Normally I let the whole disrespect thing go. But this is more of what we used to deal with in that it's obviously someone who has no clue or has not really followed the team at all and is just spouting off.

This kind of thing frustrates me, lots of people watch First Take and he's putting crap out there that just isn't true. We all know Sherm is incredibly smart and consistent, he gives respect where it's warranted and deals with trash talkers accordingly. Just frustrating, had to vent a bit, I'd love it if Sherm went on his show and brought this up because Bayless is far off base but he has no clue, and he has a lot of influence on people's opinions.

Ultimately, this doesn't really matter, I think more than anything it's the misunderstanding that gets to me, wish people did research.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Re: Skip Bayless on Richard Sherman
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 am
  • Never have seen Sherman make a "personal attack" against anybody. He talks trash...but leaves it with football. You don't see him pulling a Kevin Garnett and talk about someone's wife or family.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:01 am
  • Skip's job is to literally create controversy and get people to read/watch/listen to him for stirring the pot. He doesn't have actual opinions, he only says what will draw attention. You can't put any energy into caring about what a guy like him says
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 am
  • "In your heart of hearts, you know you know what the truth is." - Richard Sherman

Don't worry, people are just afraid of the unknown. For the most part, this team is still a bunch of unknowns. None of the talking heads picked Seattle at the beginning of the season and are just embarrassed that they know so little about the team. So the easiest thing to do is talk garbage.

What Sherm does is the equivalent of "attack the post, not the poster." He might slam somebody's game but he doesn't slam the person himself and most of the time he's actually responding to smack talk from opponent's. It's easy for people to just see Sherm's style and think he's a punk, gotta dip a little deeper to fully understand his genius.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:05 am
  • There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Unless your Penn State of course.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:05 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Skip's job is to literally create controversy and get people to read/watch/listen to him for stirring the pot. He doesn't have actual opinions, he only says what will draw attention. You can't put any energy into caring about what a guy like him says

This. Why it has to constantly be brought up is beyond me.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:06 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Skip's job is to literally create controversy and get people to read/watch/listen to him for stirring the pot. He doesn't have actual opinions, he only says what will draw attention. You can't put any energy into caring about what a guy like him says

Yeah. There's that too.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Skip's job is to literally create controversy and get people to read/watch/listen to him for stirring the pot. He doesn't have actual opinions, he only says what will draw attention. You can't put any energy into caring about what a guy like him says

I guess you're better than all of us.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 am
  • Sherman is starting to rub people the wrong way. I don't think it's just Skip. We have a pretty loveable team, but Sherman's antics will wear on other sports fans the same way Neon Deion or countless others have. It's a fine line. And Sherman is just introducing himself to the country. I like Sherm, but I don't get off on all of the hyped up stuff he does. LOVE his play, but I prefer the approach of an ET or BeastMode or Russell Wilson. Sherman will have some haters. His approach creates it.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 am

Agree completely. So much, in fact, it's time for an avatar change.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am
  • SNDavidson wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Skip's job is to literally create controversy and get people to read/watch/listen to him for stirring the pot. He doesn't have actual opinions, he only says what will draw attention. You can't put any energy into caring about what a guy like him says

I guess you're better than all of us.

Better? No.

More cynical about the press? Probably.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am
  • I think it's great that we have strong personalities on the team, we have just enough with Sherm leading the way, it's not our focus, but other teams know we're confident and head strong and that they're going to be in for a fight. Is it necessary? No. I think in our case it is a positive for our team.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:14 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Better? No.

More cynical about the press? Probably.

Yeah I see what you mean, normally I'm kinda the same way and don't give it the time of day either, this is just so far off base and it's about a guy's character, just the complete ignorance and spouting off got me this morning.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:16 am
  • Skip Bayless probably doesn't even really feel this way. He is just trying to be as contrarian as possible. That's all he does, because otherwise he wouldn't have a job.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:18 am
  • Skip Bayless just says whatever he wants to stir the pot. Half the time, I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about.

Remember, this is the guy that thinks Tebow is a god send.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:19 am
  • Kevin Garnett talks trash not Richard Sherman.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 am
  • SNDavidson wrote:This morning ol Skip said he was trying to like the Seahawks but he can't because of Richard Sherman and his loud mouth "personal attacks" on players. Normally I let the whole disrespect thing go. But this is more of what we used to deal with in that it's obviously someone who has no clue or has not really followed the team at all and is just spouting off.

This kind of thing frustrates me, lots of people watch First Take and he's putting crap out there that just isn't true. We all know Sherm is incredibly smart and consistent, he gives respect where it's warranted and deals with trash talkers accordingly. Just frustrating, had to vent a bit, I'd love it if Sherm went on his show and brought this up because Bayless is far off base but he has no clue, and he has a lot of influence on people's opinions.

Ultimately, this doesn't really matter, I think more than anything it's the misunderstanding that gets to me, wish people did research.

Skip, off the top of my head, has been the mastermind of such gems as "The Seahawks don't belong in MY Super Bowl," "I don't buy Russell Wilson because he's short," (this was circa week 12 or so), and most recently, "Dr Andrews is to blame for RG3's injury against the Seahawks because he planted doubt about the knee into RG3's mind."

All of those are paraphrases, not actually direct quotes.

At any rate, my point being that Bayless, moreso than EVERY other pundit, is there to stir the pot and say ridiculous things. Even people like Prisco are better than him.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 am
  • This is the same guy who "just can't believe in the Seahawks making the playoffs, because they chose to start Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn."

In the same breath he screams to "Free Tebow" or "Unleash Tebow"

This man has not an ounce of credibility and should be listened to as a form of entertainment only.

My favorite hashtag on the Twitter machine is #STFUSkip

I use it often
    White Devil
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 am
  • Nobody in their right mind takes Skip seriously OP. Don't worry. If anything, this will give Sherman more fans.

Bayless is a professional Troll. Don't feed him.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 am
  • This is one more reason ESPN is becoming the FOX news/MSNBC extremist douchebag of the sports world.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 am
  • Bringing up or linking anything related to First Take should be a bannable offence...
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 am
  • Sherm's one of those guys that you love because he's on your team, but if for example he was a 49er.... we'd all hate him with a passion. Makes it worse for opposing fans too is he can actually play and make an impact.

And like bestfightstory said, we have a pretty lovable team, I read so many times on other teams boards, "I love Wilson and Lynch, etc, but hate Sherman!"
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 am
  • His job is to argue opposite of that other dude. Many times he doesn't actually believe what he is saying. He is just arguing for the show.

Move along.... Nothing to see.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:36 am
  • F. . Skip Bayless. He gets paid for one thing and one thing only= :stirthepot: I personally love the brash bravado that Sherman plays with. Reminds me of two guys that the Falcons have Weatherspoon and Asante.
    FOGHORN
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:47 am
  • Is there a bigger collection of more unlikeable people on TV than there is on First Take? Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are HORRIBLE. Pay them no attention. Your quality of life will increase. Your friends will thank you. You'll get a raise at work.
    FormerEvil
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 am
  • Awesome. Anything that Sherman can use to add to the chip on his shoulder.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 am
  • Here's how First Take works. Stephen A and Skip go into their production meetings each morning and decide the 3-4 topics they're going to argue about and who's going to take which side.

Usually the first three topics are Tim Tebow.

Bottom line, if there was one and only one talking sports head that I could pick to not give a rat's ass about his or her opinion on anything.........it's Skip Bayless. He's a hack, he's always been a hack, and he always will be a hack.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 am
  • Why any one of us would give a shit what that waste of space thinks about the Seahawks is beyond me.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:His job is to argue opposite of that other dude. Many times he doesn't actually believe what he is saying. He is just arguing for the show.

Move along.... Nothing to see.

This. It's a debate show for ENTERTAINMENT.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 am
  • I like to think of Skip as a professional troll.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 am
  • Well, if Sherman keeps playing to the level he's been playing at, he's going to be interviewed on the big networks more and more and the people will get to see what he is actually like; which is charismatic, articulate, passionate, a great teammate, an incredible athleate and really fricken smart. We've already seen it a couple of times like the Michael Irvin interview or the Steve Wyche interview.

People will realize that guys like Skip are talking out of their arses (if they don't already).
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am
  • Every great team had their great polarizing figures like Dion Sanders, Bill Romanowski, Shannon Sharp.... The list can go on forever. Sherman is ours.
    Doug Baldwin does nothing but Save QB's!
    TundraApe
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am
  • Aros wrote:Why any one of us would give a shit what that waste of space thinks about the Seahawks is beyond me.

He was the toast of .NET back in August when he picked Seattle to win the division.

This place really should have added a 'NoRespect Dangerfield Forum' years ago
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 am
  • ESPN is garbage. Their analysts should be ignored. They have no influence on the outcomes of games
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am
  • SNDavidson wrote:This morning ol Skip said he was trying to like the Seahawks but he can't because of Richard Sherman and his loud mouth "personal attacks" on players. Normally I let the whole disrespect thing go. But this is more of what we used to deal with in that it's obviously someone who has no clue or has not really followed the team at all and is just spouting off.

It's hard for that idiot to like anybody, that he would like to be and does it better than he ever could do.
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am
  • Skip is hilarious, so I'm okay with it. Give us publicity no matter what. People will make their own opinions about Sherman when they see him play. I posted the mic'd up video for people to see and they all said, "Wait, I'm supposed to hate this guy?! I think I want a Sherman jersey and I'm not even a Hawks fan!"

So, yeah, it's whatever. Skip is good at his job, so you can't really be too mad at him for getting paid to do what he does best.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 am
  • I've heard a lot of different people say that they don't care for Sherman's mouth...
    And then in the next breath say...
    'But if he was on my team, I would love him!'
    I've never gotten caught up in player personality think...
    I just don't care...
    Sherman has become elite, has played great, and is cocky...
    He isn't a no talent blow hard like Skip...
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 am
  • They say that opposites attract and like minds clash, I believe this to be the case here. Skip and Sherm are A LOT alike. They are both loud mouths that try to intimidate others. They are both among the best at what they do. They both give credit to others when it is earned. They both have to have the last word in a conversation. I'm sure there are even many more things that they have in common.

I guess Skip Bayless wouldn't like himself if he were forced to self evaluate. I think it's kind of funny how just about everything Skip says about Sherman could easily apply to Skip.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 am
  • Lets face it.. if Richard Sherman were a Falcon, we'd hate him this week. We'd respect his game, but hate the personality.

Sherm is one of those guys you LOVE when he's on your team. HATE when he's not.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Lets face it.. if Richard Sherman were a Falcon, we'd hate him this week. We'd respect his game, but hate the personality.

We get it. You hate Russell Wilson...
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:Lets face it.. if Richard Sherman were a Falcon, we'd hate him this week. We'd respect his game, but hate the personality.

We get it. You hate Russell Wilson...

peaches, I like you buddy.. but we can move on from this .. :lol:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:29 am
  • Maybe so. I'm going to put a poll up in the shack to see if this has jumped shark yet. Keep an eye out for the results.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Lets face it.. if Richard Sherman were a Falcon, we'd hate him this week. We'd respect his game, but hate the personality.

I've thought about this and I agree with it to an extent, but I think a lot of the media try to make him the bad guy, and the drug suspension, though successfully appealed against, clouds people's judgement; especially the press around it where pretty much everyone said he was guilty and were creating there own stories for his appeal.

Sherman comes across as articulate (Stanford duh), and seems like a pretty charismatic guy who's having a lot of fun in his situation.

I'm not so sure that I wouldn't like the cut of his jib if he was on another team. The Optimus Prime thing was funny, as was the 'happy birthday Harbaugh' after the SF game, his dancing is downright hilarious and a couple of weeks ago, after being harassed by some 49er fans on twitter, he simply wrote back 'Hey San Fran fans.... 42-13.... Right to speak to me revoked'.

I'd probably only 'hate' him out of jealousy that he wasn't on my team or was on a rival team.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am
  • Honestly I bought into the negative Sherman talk and have said numerous times I would hate him if he wasn't a Seahawk. But after looking at everything I think the media went nuts with it because it creates interest. He seems like a good guy who is smart and plays hard on the field. I love his style and I think the anti Sherman sentiment is blown way out of proportion.

Love the Polian pic by the way. lol
    Sonic "QB - WR - WR are my first 3 picks."= donating his money to someone much smarter
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 am

Haha, Skip Bayless rags on Roddy White every other day. You should see the tweets Roddy has sent to Skip.
    Torris
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Honestly I bought into the negative Sherman talk and have said numerous times I would hate him if he wasn't a Seahawk. But after looking at everything I think the media went nuts with it because it creates interest. He seems like a good guy who is smart and plays hard on the field. I love his style and I think the anti Sherman sentiment is blown way out of proportion.

Love the Polian pic by the way. lol

It was the same way with Deion Sanders back in the day. Shit, could you imagine if Deion was playing in his prime in the Twitter era!? Good lord... He'd make Richard Sherman sound like Russell Wilson.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 am
  • The only reason I'm annoyed by it is that people do manage to take things Skip says seriously. I probably shouldn't care what other fans think about Sherm, but I'd rather the media portray him in a more positive light. I think it does make a small difference with ref's what your reputation is, and how Sherm is thought of around the nation affects his rep with the league a bit.

Obviously Skip is a hack and is doing his job to stir controversy. It doesn't piss me off near as much as when Cristian Fauria called out Bruce Irvin's character despite showing zero knowledge of him or his situation. But I still dislike it.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 am
  • Can you imagine how much we would hate Sherman if he was a 49er?
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am
  • I think his bravado and confidence is exactly what we want in our DB's. So what if he talks up a storm. If he gets into the opponents head it plays in his favor on the field.
    seahawksfan4ever
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 pm
  • There's not a fanbase out there that takes Bayless seriously. It's his job to rub everybody the wrong way, and he knows it.

Sherman is the kind of player that I've always been jealous that other teams have and we don't. We finally have a front office that's reassembling the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information