Jerry Jones thinks his team should beat us at home

CANHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2295z5k2 said:
kmedic":2295z5k2 said:
The context of this statement was in regards as to why he fired Rob Ryan. Pretty tough standard for the next defensive coordinator: you better beat Seattle in their house or expect to get canned!

He said "To be where we want to be you have to beat Seattle..."

You think Jerry wants to be "good"? He wants his team to be the best in the world. To be the very best team in the world you have to be able to beat Seattle.

Too bad he sucks as an owner so he'll never get what he wants.

He's a good owner; he's super committed, not afraid to spend money and pimps his team every chance he gets. No, Jerry's problem is that he's a HORRIBLE general manager. If he really wants to be a great team, he'll park his big stupid ego, stop trying to pretend he's some kind of bigshot football guru and hire a real GM to handle his football team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Jones is not complimenting the Seahawks... imo.

He's talking them down... as if he says "My team does not lose to the lowly Seattle Seahawks... no way, no how, never."

Yet, they did... and now that loss to the Hawks is being used by Jones to justify his firing of Rob Ryan.

Go back and re-watch that game, or... go and familiar yourself with the game summary and stats.

We had a recovered fumble and a blocked punt that put us ahead to start.

Ryan's defense did not lose that game, imo.

It was turnovers by Dallas' offense that changed the game.

Admittedly, Seattle's running game did well against Ryan's D... but the Hawks did that to most everybody.

I''m not a fan of the Ryan Brothers... far from it... but for Jones to cite the Seahawks game as one of the two reasons that he fired Rob Ryan... well, that's just flat out an unreasonable and indefensible position to take, imo.

drdiags

Reaction score
At that time, losing to the Seahawks, who had just lost to the Cardinals and were starting a rookie QB coming off a win over the defending Superbowl champs, I can see why that game stuck in Jerry's craw.

He is probably thinking that the Seahawks cannot sustain their current playing level and will revert back to a middle of the road team his Cowboys should beat, away and at home. Those are his demons. He still lives in the Jimmy Johnson era of the Cowboys. Every year pundits rate them atop the heap as the pre-season favorite to win the Superbowl. There is always a discussion of how great the talent is that the Cowboys have but yet they cannot consistently win their division.

Reading that statement, it can be looked at in several ways. But no matter what, until he gets his house in order, he is lucky they beat the Browns in their own house this year.

themunn

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":i6ec8hot said:
Jones is not complimenting the Seahawks... imo.

He's talking them down... as if he says "My team does not lose to the lowly Seattle Seahawks... no way, no how, never."

Look at the other example he gives... travelling to Chicago and beating the Bears.

He's given two examples of probably the strongest homefield advantages in the NFC. It's a compliment

Jiggy

Reaction score
This is RESPECT!

We have become a team that people are mentioning they need to beat to get to the next level.

dunceface

Reaction score
Translation: Seattle is a great team and I love glory holes. We need more glory holes!

kearly

Reaction score
The key phrasing is when he said "you've got to be able to beat Seattle" instead of "you should have beaten Seattle." The former (which is what he said), implies that for Dallas to win it all, they first have to prove that they can beat the best (Seattle). The latter would infer that Seattle is inferior, which I don't think anyone left on earth still believes.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
rainger":1bkfrlwn said:
Man this is a huge backhanded compliment. Think about it, of all the teams he could talk about he is saying if the COWBOYS want to be a GOOD team the have to beat Seattle in their house.

Man that is him saying he thinks we are a top team and his team will not arrive until they beat us in our house, which they did not do.

Smile everyone JJ just said the Hawks are great team.

probably has something to do with the fact that they played us this year. I'm guessing he doesn't pick our team for this quote if he doesn't play us.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1epxrojw said:
At that time, losing to the Seahawks, who had just lost to the Cardinals and were starting a rookie QB coming off a win over the defending Superbowl champs, I can see why that game stuck in Jerry's craw.

He is probably thinking that the Seahawks cannot sustain their current playing level and will revert back to a middle of the road team his Cowboys should beat, away and at home. Those are his demons. He still lives in the Jimmy Johnson era of the Cowboys. Every year pundits rate them atop the heap as the pre-season favorite to win the Superbowl. There is always a discussion of how great the talent is that the Cowboys have but yet they cannot consistently win their division.

Reading that statement, it can be looked at in several ways. But no matter what, until he gets his house in order, he is lucky they beat the Browns in their own house this year.

^This was pretty much my first interpritation of JJ's statement and I'm still tending to lean that direction. However, if there was any "compliment" that could be construed from what he said, I take it not as "To be the best you have to beat the best" because clearly we haven't been the best over time. I take it more as if you want to win in this league you need to be able to win IN Seattle. Whether Seattle's an 8-8 team or an 11-5 team, they don't lose at home. If there is one consistant "respect" that Seattle gets from the national media, other teams, insiders and opposing knowledgable fans is that Seattle is THE most difficult place to win in the NFL: Location, fans, fan noise, weather... what ever IT is teams don't come to Seattle and win very often and if you want to be good... that's the measuring stick if Seattle is on your schedule.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Well, however we individually interpret Jones' statements, it sure makes me proud that our Hawks have the NFL-nation's attention.

Anybody seen or heard any 7-9 jokes lately? Sando? :rofl:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
You can take it either way you want. Doesn't matter - we're on the radar for better or worse now, and that's a good thing. (On paper, it reads more like a compliment. It could sound different when spoken.)

hawker84

Reaction score
Jerry jones needs to realize he's going nowhere anytime soon until he replaces Romo and gets a good defensive and offensive line.... 70 million dollars worth of cornerbacks do not win superbowls, with 500 thousand dollar linemen.

dunceface

Reaction score
morgulon1":1aucj3z8 said:
dunceface":1aucj3z8 said:
Translation: Seattle is a great team and I love glory holes. We need more glory holes!

which side of the glory hole?

Who knows with that old creep he probably plays both sides...with both hands

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Its true that if you want to be a superbowl team, you have to be able to go on the road and beat good teams. I think most teams would consider beating Seattle at home a badge of honor, showing that you are in fact a very good team. I think Jerry is saying that he wants and expects to have a team that can do that. Right now, he obviously doesn't.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
By the way the cowboys are 1 win, 5 losses in Seattle since 2000 (including the playoff's, if I'm not mistaken) and the win was a close shootout, so winning in Seatte has probably become a personal "jones" for JJ (pun intended).

Latest posts