ATL vs. SEA Receiving Core

hawker232

Reaction score
I would take our #3 and running back over theirs any day. Their #1 and #2 are obviously better. I do think Rice could be better than White if he was 10000% healthy, and if he had as many targets as White has had.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Starrman44":3je2ohot said:
Dirty Bird":3je2ohot said:
Um, Sherman is great but not on Revis level IMO. Revis has a knowledge of the game Sherman doesn't and plays a chess match with opposing QB's. Sherman is also not even close to being as good as Revis in zone but in terms of press/man to man coverage their about even.

And with this you lose any shred of credibility you had. Sherman has the advantage of playing Major College Football as a receiver. He's bated several QB's this year, including Tom Brady.

Revis is great, but I don't think there is nearly the separation between the two you think that there is. Saying Revis has a knowledge of the game that Sherman doesn't is ridiculous, imo.

Don't get mad at him if he doesn't know that much about Sherman, he isn't a Seahawk fan. You don't have to throw out accusations of him losing all his credibility. Hell, I'll practically guarantee you most of the things you know about Sherman is from reading other people's breakdowns, not really breaking down all-22 of every Seahawk game, no shame in that, it's how I do it.

Just saying, don't rip him to shreds just because he isn't as educated on a Seahawk player as we are.

mikeak

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":2jrnmo5i said:
Starrman44":2jrnmo5i said:
Dirty Bird":2jrnmo5i said:
Um, Sherman is great but not on Revis level IMO. Revis has a knowledge of the game Sherman doesn't and plays a chess match with opposing QB's. Sherman is also not even close to being as good as Revis in zone but in terms of press/man to man coverage their about even.

And with this you lose any shred of credibility you had. Sherman has the advantage of playing Major College Football as a receiver. He's bated several QB's this year, including Tom Brady.

Revis is great, but I don't think there is nearly the separation between the two you think that there is. Saying Revis has a knowledge of the game that Sherman doesn't is ridiculous, imo.
No it's not ridiculous because he does. Revis is just as good if not a better press corner than Sherman and his understanding of the game pre-snap to know where the ball is coming is what makes him great. I'd like to see Richard Sherman's stats in zone as opposed to bump and run. He baited Brady on a "screw it" underthrow? I think not. I'd also like to see where he baited these other QB's you speak of. This is what baiting a QB entails. You can see the huge cushion Asante gives him from the start. After the snap Palmer looks to the left and everything is covered, he knows he has a WR on an out route on the other side of the field. Because of the huge cushion Asante gave before the ball was snapped Palmer doesn't expect Asante to be in position to pick the ball off but being the ballhawk that he is and knowing that on 3rd and 6 an out route is probably headed his way he jumps the route and returns it for 6. That is baiting a QB, not running stride for stride with a WR and picking off an underthrown ball.
[youtube]WvnqotMZB5s[/youtube]

Thanks for defining the word baiting for us....... :sarcasm_off:

madbohem

Reaction score
camdawg":2hk06rt5 said:
Dirty Bird":2hk06rt5 said:
Um, Sherman is great but not on Revis level IMO. Revis has a knowledge of the game Sherman doesn't and plays a chess match with opposing QB's. Sherman is also not even close to being as good as Revis in zone but in terms of press/man to man coverage their about even. I also thought you guys played stacked the box with 8 and gave a lot of single high safety looks? Correct me if i'm wrong. I don't understand how playing a team game would stop Browner from getting beat 1 on 1 in that situation? Let's say he gets beat on a slant route by Julio Jones in one on one? I don't think Earl Thomas has the closing speed to catch Julio in the open field.

A healthy Revis MIGHT be slightly better, but it's closer than you think. And Sherman has that understanding of the game you mention, better than you think. He's a smart dude, a Stanford grad, and he started his college career playing wide receiver for a couple of seasons, so he does understand what QB's and WR's are thinking.

To help illustrate just how good Sherman has become in such a short time:

Darrelle Revis 2007 rookie year-16 games: 3 picks, 17 passes defended, 1 forced fumble
Richard Sherman 2011 rookie year-TEN games: 4 picks, 17 passes defended, 1 forced fumble

Darrelle Revis 2nd year-5 picks, 16 passes defended, 1 forced fumble
Richard Sherman 2nd year-8 picks, 24 passes defended, 3 forced fumbles

Sherman also had a sack this year. And it should be remembered because it speaks volumes about his football IQ. Pete and him both reflected about that particular sack, pointing back to training camp, showing a rare offensive set which nobody really ever expected to see, and was given the instructions "If you ever see this, blitz". He isn't just a naturally talented corner with some WR experience, he is just as much a student of the game as Wilson.

madbohem

Reaction score
By the way, the WR breakdown is terrific.

I still, as a Hawk fan, give a lot of credit to Atlanta's WR over ours because the way our receivers get open comes from Wilson's ability to extend plays. I also think Atlanta's WR/QB connection has the benefit of more time spent together, so Ryan and his WRs have more then a single season to know each other. I can't under value that experience, even though I think Ryan potentially has to get past the pressure of the moment when its all on the line and prove he can win when it counts.

off the topic of this game, I really really look forward to seeing what kind of passing game the Seahawks develop with more games played together. Next season is going to interesting with that kind of time to develop and refine their game.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Dirty bird, go to week 17 and watch the conclusion of the Seahawks-Rams game. Sherman Baits Bradford ( who has a much better statistical history of not being bated than Palmer who habitually leads the league in pick 6's) to throw to a wr down the middle who looked wide open.

Other things to look at are when he battles for a ball with a receiver he usually wins and some of his picks are things of beauty. Keeping two feet in bounds while stretching out of bounds to make a catch many starting wr's wouldn't or couldn't make.

Sherman didn't just play WR at Stanford. He was the leading receiver his Freshman and Softmore years before he got injured his junior year.

The guy is a stud and a defensive leader on one of the best defenses in the league.