Slot/Nickel CB: Trufant vs Lane

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3qsm9rqk said:
Trufant on Gonzalez is going to be the reason we lose this game, if we do lose it.

Trufant shouldn't be on Gonzalez. Trufant should be on the number 3 receiver in 3 receiver sets. Chancellor or Wagner should be on Gonzalez. If we have Trufant (or any nickel corner) on Gonzalez on a regular basis for this game, Bradley can kiss any chance of a head coaching gig goodbye

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
even in his prime, tru was very mediocre. Now he's just bad. Dude would never get his heaed turned around on coverage. it was maddening.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2lo6h3o8 said:
even in his prime, tru was very mediocre. Now he's just bad. Dude would never get his heaed turned around on coverage. it was maddening.

So, Pro Bowl players are just "mediocre"...tells me all I need to know about this post

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
kidhawk":3rv5h5pb said:
Chukarhawk":3rv5h5pb said:

So, Pro Bowl players are just "mediocre"...tells me all I need to know about this post

Or, it may just tell you all that you need to know about Pro Bowl voting.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":x46l91ry said:
even in his prime, tru was very mediocre.

No. From 2005-2008 he was one of the best corners in the league. Especially considering he played opposite corners like Kelly Jennings for most of his career going up against every team's #1 WR.

Richard Sherman's been fantastic, but let's not forget who he's playing with in the defensive backfield. It sure as hell helps when you have safeties like Cam and Thomas covering your ass. Marcus didn't have that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":19q9kwhm said:
kidhawk":19q9kwhm said:
Chukarhawk":19q9kwhm said:

Or, it may just tell you all that you need to know about Pro Bowl voting.

Nope, it tells me that some people's idea of mediocre may be a little skewed. Trufant, in his prime was a VERY good CB in this league. He has definitely lost a step, and I would no longer put him at that high of a level, but when someone says that he was never more than mediocre, it shows that someone either has a very off opinion on what mediocre is, or they just didn't actually see Trufant play in his prime. I dont' know which, but anyone who watched Tru play in his prime weren't calling him "mediocre"

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Love tru but he just looks like a liability out there at times

Giblien

Reaction score
I see a lot of angst for Carroll being stubborn about keeping Tru in. Do you really think this is an issue of Carroll being stubborn? Remember, this is the guy who benched Flynn for RW and was questioned about it for the first couple months of the season. If PC is starting Tru over Lane, it is because he thinks Tru is the best option for the team right now.

We need to trust him a bit more. It has worked out well the past few years and I have no reason to doubt his call on this decision now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I suspect there are two reasons to not have 20 in the nickel. First, he is the backup corner for either Sherman or Browner and needs to be ready for that role, and 2nd, Trufant is a better tackler.

hawker84

Reaction score
to those that think Trufant was one of the best Corners in the league, he had one maybe two good years, mediocre the rest... just like one poster said, always in position to make a play, very seldom making it, ALA Josh wilson... now as far as thinking we know more than the coaching staff, BS... i don't have to know more than the coaching staff, because i watch the games every week, and every week, he gets beat , burned, and has a butt load of missed tackles, he doesn't even get into position to make a play any more.. yes he's had a couple good plays since he's been back.. but has been beat far more times... he is not the 3rd best CB on this team.... gives you one heck of an effort every game, but if you were mediocre in your career in your prime minus a couple years, you sure as heck are not going to be competing at a level you need to be in the twilight of your career...

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawker84":29i7f3ba said:
to those that think Trufant was one of the best Corners in the league, he had one maybe two good years, mediocre the rest... just like one poster said, always in position to make a play, very seldom making it, ALA Josh wilson... now as far as thinking we know more than the coaching staff, BS... i don't have to know more than the coaching staff, because i watch the games every week, and every week, he gets beat , burned, and has a butt load of missed tackles, he doesn't even get into position to make a play any more.. yes he's had a couple good plays since he's been back.. but has been beat far more times... he is not the 3rd best CB on this team.... gives you one heck of an effort every game, but if you were mediocre in your career in your prime minus a couple years, you sure as heck are not going to be competing at a level you need to be in the twilight of your career...

What does being the 3rd best CB on the team have to do with anything? The Nickel position is not the same thing as your regular CB position. Not all players who can play the CB position well are good at the nickel slot and vice versa.

hawker84

Reaction score
ok you got me there... all i'm saying is Trufant > Lane? i don't know.. i think who ever has the ability to make the most plays should be the one out there, and i say that's Lane. JMO

twelfman

Reaction score
What if they go about it like shanahan did and not throw a single thing to whoever sherman is covering and just try to make the rest of our dbs stop the pass
I don't like our odds there so much but if we can run on em and use the pistol effectively we might just need two or three good defensive stands

BASF

Reaction score
Playing the slot is completely different than playing on the outside.

Number one, you no longer have the sideline as your ally. Being able to work a receiver toward the sideline is one of the best things Browner does. Trufant is good at covering his man in a lot of space. Lane has not shown that skill yet. It's funny to say that he has been torched considering he hasn't given up many catches considering the amount of targets he has seen.

Number two, being able to flip your hips to either side at the snap to keep with the receiver in either direction is extremely important. Lane has not shown that skill yet. If you go back and watch the games that Lane started, you will notice that almost every play was the receiver going to the outside on Lane. A large part of that is that Thomas is patrolling the middle and they wanted to test Lane without help in the middle. In the few plays that Lane was taken to the inside by the receiver you could see that he was a step slow in his flip as opposed to the outside.

Number three, as much as anyone wants to discount the experience factor, being able to know which way your receiver is going in an instant by his initial hip and foot movement is essential to playing the slot.

Lane is absolutely the better athlete at this point in their careers, but he isn't the better choice right now for the slot. The weird thing is that we had a very good slot defender in Roy Lewis and we let him go due to injury. Perhaps he will be healthy next season and we can give him a look in training camp.

hawker84

Reaction score
BASF:

we can agree to disagree, because Trufant is not good at covering in open spaces, he is constantly out of position and when he is in position he doesn't make the play, unless you want to count that tackle on Moss before the ball got there making a play.... i have nothing but love and admiration for trufant, but he is a liability.... the game films don't lie....