Slot/Nickel CB: Trufant vs Lane

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Why on earth does Trufant start over Lane as our 5th DB? Lane played very well in Browner's absence on the outside yet he's not good enough to start over Trufant in the slot? This is one of the few Carroll decisions where I think Carroll is dead wrong in his choice. The only time it appears Trufant makes a play is when the WR drops the pass. Guys are constantly beating Trufant in coverage. IMO, it's plain as day that Lane or even Maxwell should be playing that spot instead of Trufant.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Experience can be the only answer. Trufant has playoff experience, Lane doesn't. I'm with you though, it is hard watching play after play Trufant get beat.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
What good does experience do if you're constantly getting beat? I can see Pete's thinking in leaning towards experience but hasn't he been watching Trufant in the game film? It's brutal to watch and completely maddening that Carroll either doesn't see it or is too stubborn to make that change. He's willing to play Sweezy over Moffitt based on upside, why isn't he willing to do the same with Trufant/Lane?

tomahawk

Reaction score
I asked the same question yesterday. I love Tru but the guy has lost a step and can't stay with these guys in the slot anymore. Surprised that more teams don't try and take advantage of it more often.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
It is puzzling as Carroll preaches competition. Best man up

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Trufant is the 2nd biggest weakness on our D, right after not having a consistent pass rush. Trufant will continue to be attacked until Carroll stops being stubborn and puts him on the bench where he belongs.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Lane is the clear cut choice. Trufant just gets beat constantly so being a "savvy vet" isn't helping him at all, against much lesser players than Tony Gonzales.

tomahawk

Reaction score
I don't want either of them on Gonzales - the dude is huge and we will never win that matchup. Have to keep an LB around or safety up to help on Tony.

GCrow

Reaction score
When playing the Falcons in the Georgia Dome with Ryan throwing to all those playmakers? Speed, Speed and more speed, Lane.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Okungfu":kwnqp9ku said:
Assignment Tony Gonzales

Trufant savvy vet or Lane with Speed and size ?

If you put a nickel corner on a HOF TE, you deserve to lose.

Kam or one of the LB's will be on him all day.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
According to Danny O'Neil today when he was on with Brock and Salk, it sounds like we're stuck with Trufant starting in the slot once again.

Pete, please don't keep doing this. Trufant is going to get torched and you have better options available. I really don't get what he sees in Trufant other than he has playoff experience, and that experience isn't stopping him from getting torched. SMH on this decision.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I find it funny how everyone picks on Trufant. Sure he's not as good as he once was, and I definitely don't think he's got the ability to be a starting CB in this league any longer, but if there's one thing I know and this is without a bit of doubt or uncertainty, it's that Carroll and Bradley know MUCH more than anyone on this board as to which player is best prepared to start for us on any given Sunday.

We heard all these complaints that they weren't starting Thurmond when he was off the PUP, but now looking back, it becomes more obvious that he probably wasn't as "ready" as you'd like him to be. Pete has been very consistent in putting the best players on the field. I for one find it funny how quickly people's attitudes can be swayed on this when it's one player that they perceive to be better than another.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kidhawk":1peg7dzu said:
I find it funny how everyone picks on Trufant. Sure he's not as good as he once was, and I definitely don't think he's got the ability to be a starting CB in this league any longer, but if there's one thing I know and this is without a bit of doubt or uncertainty, it's that Carroll and Bradley know MUCH more than anyone on this board as to which player is best prepared to start for us on any given Sunday.

We heard all these complaints that they weren't starting Thurmond when he was off the PUP, but now looking back, it becomes more obvious that he probably wasn't as "ready" as you'd like him to be. Pete has been very consistent in putting the best players on the field. I for one find it funny how quickly people's attitudes can be swayed on this when it's one player that they perceive to be better than another.

This is an appeal to authority, and it is wrong. (not that you are wrong about if Trus should be the slot, just please don't appeal to authority)

Know how I know? Pete stuck with Tru last year against the Falcons and was wrong to do so. Just a couple of weeks later he was forced by injury to start Sherman, and Sherman was awesome from day one. Sherman would have been better on Roddy White in week 4, just like he was awesome on the Bengals receiver Green in his first start.

Pete makes mistakes, you know. Like playing Mebane out of position for a whole season.

canfan

Reaction score
Lane has superior speed and is aggressive. That said has anybody actually seen him cover inside much this year? I have a wild theory...Pete has NOT abandoned his "best player plays" mantra. He has watched these guys in practice all year and Tru IS the best option we have right now. A lot of the Tru hate is being whipped up by Mike Salk....don't buy the in-depth analysis by a guy who never played the game past HS. Is Trufant doing a good job....no. We can only assume Pete has decided he is still better than his other options right now or the guy would not be playing!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":6mif36qz said:
kidhawk":6mif36qz said:

This is an appeal to authority, and it is wrong. (not that you are wrong about if Trus should be the slot, just please don't appeal to authority)

Know how I know? Pete stuck with Tru last year against the Falcons and was wrong to do so. Just a couple of weeks later he was forced by injury to start Sherman, and Sherman was awesome from day one. Sherman would have been better on Roddy White in week 4, just like he was awesome on the Bengals receiver Green in his first start.

Pete makes mistakes, you know. Like playing Mebane out of position for a whole season.

Sherman was an unproven commodity. He hadn't even had a start in his career. We've seen Lane play, and if you watch those games, the positional analysis wasn't any different than the games when trufant was playing. When you have 2 of the best corners in the league playing, you are going to have your nickel corner getting picked on A LOT more. The Seahawks defensive strategy, isn't so much putting our best against the opponents best. We put our players into position and they take the matchups the opposing offenses put out there. For instance, teams are more apt to put the speed guy on Browner and the larger receivers against Sherman because Browner's weakness is getting beat by the double move, Where Sherman is the less likely of the two corners to be physical off the line of scrimmage. Teams often take advantage of this philosophy by using the slot guy to go across the middle and take the quick in routes against the nickel, no matter who is out there.

Shock2k

Reaction score
If we are thinking about it, then they have thought about it.

Moving from corner positions to slot positions is most likely not an easy transition. I think I remember hearting that when Turfant moved from corner to nickle. The coaches most likely don't want to put lane in that position during the playoffs.