It's on like Donkey Kong; 'Skins DT calls Sherman a cheater

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1qhqxsof said:
True, but on the point of if he was an NFL quality receiver, I think you have to say yes, because he's outplaying almost every NFL receiver he's ever faced. He knows how to run routes, he knows how to get to the ball, he's got the size/speed combo, etc. He is an NFL player and that says a lot. Baldwin's size hurt his draft status, and then the 49ers aren't picking him and teams are wondering what's wrong. Sherman was a great enough athlete with 1 year at a position to get drafted. If he had been playing all along he would have been drafted as a WR earlier I think. Harbaugh was mad that he took a redshirt. Just shows what a selfish dong he is. Richard is too smart for his own good sometimes. Made sure he got his education paid for. What a loon right? /sarcasm off

That's really interesting...do you think the paradigm may shift towards taller DBs in the draft now? I wonder if that will then cause people to choose WRs differently...and have more shorter shiftier types to try to combat the physical advantage of the taller DBs. Or will we see more WRs built like TEs to try to be able to box out people like Sherman on passes.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Most teams don't use their DB's like Seattle is. Seattle also is in a unique situation in their division with the receivers they have to face. When you have 6 games against teams with bigger receivers, then it helps to have big DB's. As time has gone on the Cards have gotten rid of Bolden, are only using Fitz, the Rams receiving corps has gone small with Amendola now, and the 49ers have Crabtree and Moss, but I don't see Moss sticking around.

I think more teams will see the benefit of having a tall and strong CB, but most teams get by just fine with the shorter dudes. The Hawks have the benefit of having Earl Thomas who is the size of a typical corner playing CF and roaming side to side playing safety. Kam Chancellor is built like a LBer. It is a weird system. The corners play man, and everybody else typically plays a zone.

As for NFL teams going after big CB's.... I don't think there are that many typically available. The big guys tend to be slower and not be NFL players (like Browner was initially, he was a great college CB, but was told he was too big and slow, but played great in the CFL and got his chance and excelled). Sherman was a strange situation as has been covered.

The last really big CB I can recall that made a big impact and was supposedly going to change how teams were going to approach things and how they were going to go after big CB's was Bobby Taylor. He was a great CB, and shut down the likes of Michael Irvin and a few others in his days with the Eagles, and then his career ended early due to injury, and we were back to 5-8 - 5-10 DB's again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":2i5m1nr5 said:
SharkHawk":2i5m1nr5 said:
True, but on the point of if he was an NFL quality receiver, I think you have to say yes, because he's outplaying almost every NFL receiver he's ever faced. He knows how to run routes, he knows how to get to the ball, he's got the size/speed combo, etc. He is an NFL player and that says a lot. Baldwin's size hurt his draft status, and then the 49ers aren't picking him and teams are wondering what's wrong. Sherman was a great enough athlete with 1 year at a position to get drafted. If he had been playing all along he would have been drafted as a WR earlier I think. Harbaugh was mad that he took a redshirt. Just shows what a selfish dong he is. Richard is too smart for his own good sometimes. Made sure he got his education paid for. What a loon right? /sarcasm off

That's really interesting...do you think the paradigm may shift towards taller DBs in the draft now? I wonder if that will then cause people to choose WRs differently...and have more shorter shiftier types to try to combat the physical advantage of the taller DBs. Or will we see more WRs built like TEs to try to be able to box out people like Sherman on passes.
Shark said it pretty well, but going big at CB will become a trend, but not everywhere. Big corners mean more press, and not every scheme favors that.
Put our guys in a tampa-2, and watch them fail. They have to be in a scheme that emphasizes taking away inside leverage and allows them to make QBs go over their length to the sidelines, a more difficult throw. Once QBs start trying to paint the sidelines, we have won.

themunn

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3hkr8c0h said:
Sherman had an INT where he made a better catch than any receiver I've ever seen. Extended out to about 10 feet and on his absolute tiptoes. I still don't know where he came from and how he got to that ball and caught it. It was amazing.

Oh absolutely that is one of, if not THE best interception I've ever seen.
It was the first game against Arizona this season, and Skelton, under pressure threw the ball out of bounds and Sherman came up with it. I think everyone watching the game at first thought "incomplete pass... wait interception WHAT!?"