Pete Carroll's Prophecy

NYCoug

Reaction score
"Well, my opinion in the last few years has changed on what the quarterbacks can do coming out of college," "I would have told you, in years past as an NFL coach, that young guys can't do it, and there were only a couple that ever did, and that wasn't enough to make that an expectation that you could count on. But I think that's totally shifted.

"I don't think that's the case anymore. I've changed my attitude about it just based on the results of the guys. (Joe) Flacco and Matt Ryan came out, and those guys, both in the same year, played great winning football. And Mark Sanchez found his way to do it, and guys are doing it in Detroit (with third-year QB Matt Stafford) - Pete Carroll."

As I sit here drinking a Stella and eating a quesadilla while wondering if I should go for the Jack Daniels Honey to help me go to sleep (or should I even go to sleep at all?, I can't help but think back to this quote. It's one of the reasons I'm so excited and confident about later today (it's finally here!) and the future. It's a huge part of what makes me believe that Pete Carroll will have this team prepared for the task.

Pete Carroll is ever adapting. We can all sit back and attempt to pinpoint what could possibly done different with this team because we're actually a pretty knowledgable fanbase, but the only person with a say is Pete. He's honestly one of the few people in this world that I can say I trust more than myself. John Schneider and Paul Allen are the other ones.

This quote, from a year ago in the Pre-Wilson era (BR? Before Russell?) lets me know that Pete Carroll evolves with the game and will have an excellent gameplan drawn out for today. It helps me go to sleep, in theory, knowing that he's ahead of the game and knows what is truly needed for success. However, there won't be any sleep tonight.

I now know what Russell Wilson means when he says "no time to sleep." I can only imagine what he's thinking/feeling right now.

Go Hawks!

sutz

Reaction score
Well, it certainly helped in RW's case that we had a fairly decent team for him to step into and take control of. At the end of the 2011 season, we had our running game well on the way to excellence, and our D was showing signs of the toughness and tenacity we've seen this year. The team was good enough to play pretty conservative for the first half of the season and let Russ grow into the job. In many respects, the coaching staff may have brought him along too slowly, costing us a couple of wins, maybe. We'll never really know that, though, so it's a moot point.

It's not just the player, it's the team he is drafted by and how he is brought along. You are right about one point, to be sure. Pete went against convention on the RW pick, and so far it is showing signs of being a genius move.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Speaking of game plans and in-game-adjustments... Darrell Bevell is the one that drives me nuts. And to a lesser extent, Gus Bradley.

Bevell designs some great plays that exploit what opponents do. Like the TD that beat the Patriots. Other times, our offense seems too slow to adjust to what the opponent is doing. Like that last Rams game, where their DL pressured Wilson and sacked him a lot. We don't seem to have screens in the playbook other than stupid, ineffectively executed WR bubble screens that lose yardage. Though at least Bevell (or at least Wilson) have figured out to only run them for Golden Tate. (If only the training wheels had been taken off a few weeks sooner for RW...)

Then Bradley doesn't get pressure on QB's a lot of the time. OK, maybe he was saving blitz packages for the playoffs. We can hope. It is hard to argue with #1 scoring defense in the NFL though. I figure Carroll is a defensive coach first, so he's going to be more involved on that side of the ball, telling Bradley what he wants, providing the overall strategy.

So dammit Carroll, and Bevell, and Bradley, time to come up with your all-time best game plans for this one, and be at the top of your game on making adjustments!

Latest posts