Wrong on Wilson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm
  • From Mike Sando's recent article:

    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -ryan-leaf


    Tony Pauline, SI.com:
    "The Seahawks made another questionable decision, tabbing Wilson in the third frame. Wilson is destined to sit behind newly-signed Matt Flynn and will struggle to see the field at any point over the next three years."

    Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports:
    "The Seahawks spent a third-round pick on Wilson even though the history of QBs under 6-foot is poor, to say the least. You don't spend a third-round pick on a guy who'll be lucky to be Seneca Wallace. You also don't do that after signing Matt Flynn as a free agent. The Seahawks are no closer to solving the QB situation now than they were before 2011."

    Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com:
    "Why does Seattle take him? They paid Matt Flynn and have two others. Strange pick."

    Joseph Fell, Cold Hard Football Facts:
    "Just as soon as Seahawks fans began to shell out their hard-earned money for jerseys with Flynn’s name on the back, Carroll once again demonstrated his flair for the dramatic by announcing that Wilson would be the Seahawks’ starting quarterback this fall. This experiment will prove a disaster. … Starting Wilson will most likely lead to another wasted season, and this move may be the one that leads owner Paul Allen to fire Carroll."

    Wes Bunting, National Football Post:
    "Wilson is a plus athlete who can spin the football and gives you a nice run/pass threat. However he's undersized, is going to struggle to consistently make plays from the pocket and is still learning how to work his way through defenses. He is worth a pick late, but I don't see the guy as a potential starter in the NFL. Reserve only."

    Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN:
    "Russell Wilson is a great test case for shorter QBs, because he has everything else, but did they need him in the third round after grabbing Matt Flynn to come in and likely start?"

    Image
    Last edited by Hawknballs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2732
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm
  • I can't find anything bad to say about Wilson. Its like he's RGIII's brother or cousin. Heck, both of them even earned their degrees in 3 years. How many college NFL players do that?

    I thought for sure you guys would start Flynn at the beginning of the season at least. Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team - it could have easily backfired on him had Wilson not progressed the way he has.
    Last edited by RiggoReincarnated on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 370
    Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Buckeystown, MD


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm
  • Dude, seriously, you just made my day. Instantly my favorite post of the day.
    User avatar
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1137
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm
    Location: Superbowl Glory


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Also, Pete Prisco is the biggest idiot out there. lol
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 370
    Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Buckeystown, MD


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm
  • I even Tweeted Sando a compliment about having guts enough to admit being wrong. I really like him. It's a good article, and also takes some subtle shots at other media pundits. :D
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 25756
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Also, Pete Prisco is the biggest idiot out there. lol


    Probably something that both sets of fans will completely agree on 100%.
    User avatar
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1137
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm
    Location: Superbowl Glory


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Also, Pete Prisco is the biggest idiot out there. lol


    Probably something that both sets of fans will completely agree on 100%.


    He predicted we'd be 3-13 and wouldn't score over 21 points once this season.

    Yes. We both agree.
    KDawg_ES
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 41
    Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 pm
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote: Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team.


    Carroll deserves some credit, but most of the credit should go to Wilson. It's not like he won the job just by having a few good pre-season games. He won the job because of his work ethic and leadership from the first day he got here. If he had played the same in pre-season, but hadn't had that same dedication and ability to lead, he wouldn't have started.

    It was clearly the difference in training camp. I like Flynn, and I think he'll be a good QB somewhere, but anyone who attended multiple training camps can tell you the difference was obvious. Wilson is born to lead.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2732
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 pm
  • So... if we revisited our draft choices and the grades we got. What would we get now? I do wonder.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 293
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm
    Location: Washington


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 pm
  • Okay now how do we get these Harbaughs to write a rebuttal?
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9477
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 pm
  • You forgot the most important quote of all:

    Jon Gruden: "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it. That's how much confidence I have in him."
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4682
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm
  • Hey, Riggo's back. Why did it take another playoff game between us for you to come back to the board?

    Great job OP. I heard plenty of similar quotes from some very well thought of members on this board. In fact, they were much more harsh. I will gladly admit that I was NOT one of them. I was 100% on the Russell Wilson bandwagon the first time I saw him suit up for Wisconsin, after making the jump. I didn't think anybody would pick up an offense that fast. He did, and I knew that kid was something special. He reminded me so much of Steve Young his senior year that it was scary and I made that comparo a few times, and it's starting to look about right. :)
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 pm
  • This is awesome
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 pm
  • I would love to meet one of these guys in person what its like to repeatedly fail at what you do and hope their paycheck covers the facade they have to live as phonies.
    Image

    Golden Tate broke my heart. He also ruined my 'Don't Hate Golden Tate' shirt.
    User avatar
    candybars
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 262
    Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:52 pm
    Location: Olympia, WA


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm
  • I wonder if the VMAC was inundated with a couple thousand angry emails and faxes after Russell was drafted the way Heritage Hall was after Pete was hired at USC.

    People really needed to learn not to make snap judgements.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4833
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:15 pm
  • why did wilson quit football to play baseball?? not trying to knock on him or start anything, just curious if it was football or baseball that was his first choice??
    User avatar
    SkinsGuru
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 51
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm
  • He quit baseball to play football. Baseball season (short season minors) doesn't overlap with football. He had graduated in NC and went and played pro ball, and then went to Wisconsin and decided not to play baseball so he was ready for his senior year. He did both sports. Many guys do. It is a great way to get a summer job and not have to worry about scholarships covering the bills.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 pm
  • You know something is wrong when Kiper actually sounds like the most reasonable draft pundit
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm
  • Also, of all things, Bleacher Report predicted this when grading our draft picks: "But that is where Wilson's height is misleading. When reviewing footage of his throwing motion, Wilson has a distinct overhand throw...possibly related to his days as a minor-league baseball player and aided by an ample 31" arm length... However, don't be surprised to see him starting for the Seahawks and becoming the steal of the 2012 NFL Draft." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166 ... ick/page/6
    User avatar
    rsm650
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 383
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:He quit baseball to play football. Baseball season (short season minors) doesn't overlap with football. He had graduated in NC and went and played pro ball, and then went to Wisconsin and decided not to play baseball so he was ready for his senior year. He did both sports. Many guys do. It is a great way to get a summer job and not have to worry about scholarships covering the bills.


    kewl . . . thanks!! . . . i thought i heard he played football and quit to go off and play baseball, then when he didn't make it in baseball he went back to football . . . probably the Chinese telephone thing or something . . .
    User avatar
    SkinsGuru
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 51
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm
  • SkinsGuru wrote:why did wilson quit football to play baseball?? not trying to knock on him or start anything, just curious if it was football or baseball that was his first choice??


    Hey didn't really 'quit football.' He had a 1 million dollar offer from the Colorado Rockies and wanted to try his hand at that. He still intented play out his final season of eligibility with NC State, but the coach didn't want him if he couldn't make all of the camps and practices.

    While in the farm league, he had time to reflect and decided football was his first love, so he made a big gamble and went to Wisconsin.
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2649
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:36 pm
  • Right, and since he had graduated, he just had to find a school that had a graduate program not offered at his undergrad school. He enrolled at Wisconsin and memorized the playbook in about a week and was off and running as their starter. NC State = Massive Fail.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:I can't find anything bad to say about Wilson. Its like he's RGIII's brother or cousin. Heck, both of them even earned their degrees in 3 years. How many college NFL players do that?

    I thought for sure you guys would start Flynn at the beginning of the season at least. Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team - it could have easily backfired on him had Wilson not progressed the way he has.


    I said this same thing several times. They both look like quiet hard working players that just want to be left alone to play football at a high level.

    And neither can understand what all the excitememt is about.
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 pm
  • SkinsGuru wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:He quit baseball to play football. Baseball season (short season minors) doesn't overlap with football. He had graduated in NC and went and played pro ball, and then went to Wisconsin and decided not to play baseball so he was ready for his senior year. He did both sports. Many guys do. It is a great way to get a summer job and not have to worry about scholarships covering the bills.


    kewl . . . thanks!! . . . i thought i heard he played football and quit to go off and play baseball, then when he didn't make it in baseball he went back to football . . . probably the Chinese telephone thing or something . . .


    He was playing both football at NC State, and minor league baseball during the spring/summer. Coach at NC told him that he had to quit baseball if he wanted to play his senior year because he wanted him for spring ball. Russell chose to play one last season of minor leagues and transfer to Wisconsin.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1254
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 pm
  • Image
    MarylandHawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 18
    Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:23 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 pm
  • rsm650 wrote:Also, of all things, Bleacher Report predicted this when grading our draft picks: "But that is where Wilson's height is misleading. When reviewing footage of his throwing motion, Wilson has a distinct overhand throw...possibly related to his days as a minor-league baseball player and aided by an ample 31" arm length... However, don't be surprised to see him starting for the Seahawks and becoming the steal of the 2012 NFL Draft." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166 ... ick/page/6


    Wow I can't believe somebody nailed it. Now if that site wasn't so buggy I could actually go there.
    User avatar
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1137
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm
    Location: Superbowl Glory


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:51 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:You know something is wrong when Kiper actually sounds like the most reasonable draft pundit


    Scary and true. The Bleacher Report (Darin Pike) nailing it, just about all the Seattle picks, is possibly scarier.

    I wrote a post on this board a day or two before the draft where I predicted the 'Hawks would draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, that PC/JS were just blowing smoke on the Ryan Tannehill idea. I'd like to find that post, for my own amusement value, but don't know how to get the search feature to find it, as anything with "Russell Wilson" is dismissed by the search engine as too common. If anyone knows how to find that post, please message me.

    It was this video that led to my hope the 'Hawks would draft him: Ultimate Russell Wilson 2011 highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc
    How can someone watch that video and NOT be mesmerized by this kid, absolutely lighting up Big 10 competition like that? The games against Michigan State, especially the Big 10 Championship game, were extremely compelling, jaw-dropping affairs, watching Wilson just put the team on his back, and carry them, by force of will, to victory. I think the scouts were guilty of the "confirmation bias" in dismissing Wilson; their beliefs about short, athletic QBs led them to only see another athlete-first, Seneca Wallace, too-short-for-the-NFL QB, instead of seeing what was *really* there, and the incredible specialness of Wilson's play.
    At the same time the Wisconsin games lead to a man-crush on Russell Wilson, seeing the way Kirk Cousins competed for MSU against Wisconsin could just as easily lead to a man-crush on Cousins. Kudos to the Redskins on picking up Cousins, who wound up saving their season.

    I recall there was a newspaper/media photo of Pete at the scouting combine, for QB's, with discussion about Tannehill, and in the background of that photo, Russell Wilson was throwing or speaking or something, and Pete was trying to look nonchalant and pretending not to be checking out Wilson. I remember being so happy to see that, that the 'Hawks were aware of Wilson, that I knew right then they would pick him.

    I recall PC/JS saying, after the draft was over, that they had Russell Wilson graded as the 3rd player on their draft board. The way I understood it, 3rd wasn't meaning "3rd round" or "3rd Quarterback", but rather they had Wilson graded out as the 3rd best player OVERALL in the draft. (Which still may have been the 3rd best QB grade, given this year's crop) Anyone else remember that quote (I think it was Pete) and can verify that was what was meant, 3rd overall?
    I started getting nervous in the 2nd round, because I was worried some other NFL team might snatch Wilson before Seattle got him. In fact, I'd almost bet that Washington would have taken Wilson instead of Cousins in the 4th round, if he had dropped to there.
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 676
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 pm
  • I would say Mel Kiper actually had the fairest prediction of the lot - essentially saying that if Wilson can't do it as a short QB nobody can, but at the same time questioning the value of the pick because he, like a lot of others though we had "the guy" in Matt Flynn. At the same time though, how anybody could consider Flynn "the guy" based on 2 starts is beyond me (as good as the Detroit game was, the NE game was a decent but not fantastic performance, I was never convinced by it).

    Jason Cole's is by far the worst, Seneca Wallace "at best" is essentially what he's saying. Wilson has always looked like he'd have a greater career than Wallace has had.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2460
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm
  • Brett Bielema (former Wisconsin coach) in May on a Seattle talk show. "If I could I would bet a large sum of money (I can't, because I am a college football coach) that Russell will be a multi-year starter and lead his team to several championships of some sort." "This kid is so special, just wait til you guys meet him. I have never been around a kid so ready to be an NFL player in all my coaching years."
    sumos2005
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 25
    Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:15 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:25 pm
  • sumos2005 wrote:Brett Bielema (former Wisconsin coach) in May on a Seattle talk show. "If I could I would bet a large sum of money (I can't, because I am a college football coach) that Russell will be a multi-year starter and lead his team to several championships of some sort." "This kid is so special, just wait til you guys meet him. I have never been around a kid so ready to be an NFL player in all my coaching years."


    I remember hearing that interview and getting stoked.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1005
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:43 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote: Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team.


    Carroll deserves some credit, but most of the credit should go to Wilson. It's not like he won the job just by having a few good pre-season games. He won the job because of his work ethic and leadership from the first day he got here. If he had played the same in pre-season, but hadn't had that same dedication and ability to lead, he wouldn't have started.

    It was clearly the difference in training camp. I like Flynn, and I think he'll be a good QB somewhere, but anyone who attended multiple training camps can tell you the difference was obvious. Wilson is born to lead.

    Comon MAN some credit??? On most teams Wilson doesnt even get a sniff. It was PC that had the BALLS to start a rookie and stick with him when the world said it was wrong. Hail to PC

    If it wasnt for PC, Wilson would never, I repeat NEVER had seen a starting gig in this league to show his stuff.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    User avatar
    rainger
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1705
    Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 am
    Location: Victoria BC


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm
  • rainger wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote: Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team.


    Carroll deserves some credit, but most of the credit should go to Wilson. It's not like he won the job just by having a few good pre-season games. He won the job because of his work ethic and leadership from the first day he got here. If he had played the same in pre-season, but hadn't had that same dedication and ability to lead, he wouldn't have started.

    It was clearly the difference in training camp. I like Flynn, and I think he'll be a good QB somewhere, but anyone who attended multiple training camps can tell you the difference was obvious. Wilson is born to lead.

    Comon MAN some credit??? On most teams Wilson doesnt even get a sniff. It was PC that had the BALLS to start a rookie and stick with him when the world said it was wrong. Hail to PC

    If it wasnt for PC, Wilson would never, I repeat NEVER had seen a starting gig in this league to show his stuff.


    Not one coach in this league would of handed the starting job to Wilson after signing Flynn to that big contract. It took big balls to do what Pete did. There is absolutely no BS about this open competition stuff that Pete preaches.
    warden
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1941
    Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 pm
  • rainger wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote: Props to Carroll for doing what he thought was best for your team.


    Carroll deserves some credit, but most of the credit should go to Wilson. It's not like he won the job just by having a few good pre-season games. He won the job because of his work ethic and leadership from the first day he got here. If he had played the same in pre-season, but hadn't had that same dedication and ability to lead, he wouldn't have started.

    It was clearly the difference in training camp. I like Flynn, and I think he'll be a good QB somewhere, but anyone who attended multiple training camps can tell you the difference was obvious. Wilson is born to lead.

    Comon MAN some credit??? On most teams Wilson doesnt even get a sniff. It was PC that had the BALLS to start a rookie and stick with him when the world said it was wrong. Hail to PC

    If it wasnt for PC, Wilson would never, I repeat NEVER had seen a starting gig in this league to show his stuff.


    Bullcrap. Sorry, but that is utter and complete garbage. He would have competed on any team and gotten a chance. He would have at worst been the #2 QB on a majority of teams. You don't think he would have played in Kansas City this year? Or Arizona, or New York, or about 10 other teams? Get real. He would have been the starter by mid-season on a lot of teams and not let the job go. This year was amazingly bad for QB's, and you see the fallout in how many heads have rolled in the last week. Russell would have played on a lot of teams and had a stranglehold on the starting job by probably week 8 in about 8 or 9 different cities. The Redskins themselves were going to draft him instead of Cousins, but lost the chance. He would have started games as a backup for sure and done just great. He wouldn't have been a permanent starter, but his performances as RG3's backup would have put the "can he play?" questions to rest in a hurry, since they are running the offense he runs here. I have no doubt that any team that had drafted him would have seen his value quickly. He wouldn't be starting for the Giants or Packers or Falcons, but Andrew Luck wouldn't be either.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:40 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:
    SkinsGuru wrote:why did wilson quit football to play baseball?? not trying to knock on him or start anything, just curious if it was football or baseball that was his first choice??


    Hey didn't really 'quit football.' He had a 1 million dollar offer from the Colorado Rockies and wanted to try his hand at that. He still intented play out his final season of eligibility with NC State, but the coach didn't want him if he couldn't make all of the camps and practices.

    While in the farm league, he had time to reflect and decided football was his first love, so he made a big gamble and went to Wisconsin.


    He wouldn't say whether he was going to come back and play football or not, and it appeared as though he was done with football. The NC State coach had to install a new offense for the immobile pocket passer who had been behind Wilson. Only after struggling mightily against minor leagues competition did Wilson decide to come back and play football.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 441
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:59 pm
  • Russell had every intention of playing his senior year. He was in short season minors. There's no reason he wouldn't play his senior year, except his coach was a moron. So he graduated, enrolled in a masters program, and went to Wisconsin. If he were done with football he wouldn't have had that all lined up. Be serious. In order to make it through life you have to take opportunities. Plenty of college football players play in the baseball minor leagues and still continue their education and play football. They just miss some of the workouts. When they are multiple year lettermen you don't need to worry about them missing a beat. They are doing conditioning everyday and typically already have the playbook down.

    What it comes down to is a power struggle. The coach wanted to be thought of as master of all, and Russell wanted to make a living and continue his education. You can have both and many do. When the coach balked Russell made the wise decision to use his option to move on. If he hadn't been such a good student, then the coach conceivably could have prevented him from earning a living in the summer playing in the minors and that's what is really pathetic. Russ did right by himself and his family. His work habits in the classroom and the field had afforded him the opportunity to do precisely what he did, but his coach who was a butthead about it shot himself in the foot and in the process increased Russ's profile tenfold. So he loses. He loses badly, and Russ did the right thing.

    I've known lots of guys that have gone and played in the minors to supplement their income. It has helped tremendously. Many of them have been able to pay for advanced degrees by doing so. They had no intention of being major league superstars, but they hated being hamstrung by NCAA amateur eligibility rules preventing them from making enough money to survive and move on to a master's degree after exhausting their athletic scholarship. Going off to play baseball is one sure way to make the money that is required to get an advanced degree and not violate any NCAA rules, and also be working only in time where school is out and you won't be impeding your education at all by going off for the summer to play baseball.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:08 am
  • pocketprotector wrote:Only after struggling mightily against minor leagues competition did Wilson decide to come back and play football.


    If by "come back" and play football you mean go to an entirely new school, in an entirely new conference, learn a new offense, take the reins of a new team, be voted captain by his new teammates within a couple weeks, then proceed to win 11 games, win this new conference while setting a handful of school records, then get picked in the 3rd round of the NFL draft, costing his team a shocking ONE draft pick, then win 11 games and tie the all-time NFL rookie TD passing record, then yes. He did decide to come back and play football. You get a cookie.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1529
    Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Olympia


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 am
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    pocketprotector wrote:Only after struggling mightily against minor leagues competition did Wilson decide to come back and play football.


    If by "come back" and play football you mean go to an entirely new school, in an entirely new conference, learn a new offense, take the reins of a new team, be voted captain by his new teammates within a couple weeks, then proceed to win 11 games, win this new conference while setting a handful of school records, then get picked in the 3rd round of the NFL draft, costing his team a shocking ONE draft pick, then win 11 games and tie the all-time NFL rookie TD passing record, then yes. He did decide to come back and play football. You get a cookie.


    Image
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 25756
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:24 am
  • Heh heh. Owned.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am
  • SkinsGuru wrote:why did wilson quit football to play baseball?? not trying to knock on him or start anything, just curious if it was football or baseball that was his first choice??


    lots of athletes in high school are tri sport athletes, his height prolly sorted him out in basketball which left him more time to excel in baseball and football, baseball would have left his leadership skills in the locker room so he may have decided to do what was best for him and his future? sides baseball can be rather slow and unexciting at times..

    Russel saw and created more excitement in his first NFL season than most players see their entire career,

    c'mon you cant say the cardinals opener wasn't exciting despite the loss, then curbing the cowboys, then the Green Bay game at home? man

    I watch football mainly for the excitement and the showcasing of skill, and as a Seahawks fan I sure got my moneys worth this season. :shock:

    I was right all along on Wilson, after only seeing his pre-season highlight plays I knew right then this guy was a phenom, a different kind of player, heart, mind, and soul, the stuff that rare men are made of, the stuff winners are made of, that rare awareness.. I saw it right away and it hit me like a ton of bricks... :th2thumbs:
    GO HAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Twisted
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am
  • Ask Jeremy Lin what it takes to get an opportunity if you don't fit the mold... How many teams cut him? How long did he sit on the bench? ..... May not be a long term star but he should not have been cut if he had gotten a fair chance. If PC coached basketball and Lin was on his team then things would have been different

    PC deserves a lot of praise. If he goes 6-10 this season people would have wanted to fire him.

    Do what you believe and at least you can walk through life knowing you had faith in yourself.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3389
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:52 am
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    pocketprotector wrote:Only after struggling mightily against minor leagues competition did Wilson decide to come back and play football.


    If by "come back" and play football you mean go to an entirely new school, in an entirely new conference, learn a new offense, take the reins of a new team, be voted captain by his new teammates within a couple weeks, then proceed to win 11 games, win this new conference while setting a handful of school records, then get picked in the 3rd round of the NFL draft, costing his team a shocking ONE draft pick, then win 11 games and tie the all-time NFL rookie TD passing record, then yes. He did decide to come back and play football. You get a cookie.


    While a good and funny post - if RW hits the curveball in minor league and sees a future as a star then doubtful that he would have played football again.... He took a deal to play baseball. He gave back the signing money to play football. He came back.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3389
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:33 am
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    pocketprotector wrote:Only after struggling mightily against minor leagues competition did Wilson decide to come back and play football.


    If by "come back" and play football you mean go to an entirely new school, in an entirely new conference, learn a new offense, take the reins of a new team, be voted captain by his new teammates within a couple weeks, then proceed to win 11 games, win this new conference while setting a handful of school records, then get picked in the 3rd round of the NFL draft, costing his team a shocking ONE draft pick, then win 11 games and tie the all-time NFL rookie TD passing record, then yes. He did decide to come back and play football. You get a cookie.


    Yes captain obvious, Wilson has always been an amazing football player. Not sure what prompted this idiotic, hostile reply.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 441
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: Wrong on Wilson
Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 am
  • On Wilson NC State career: Remember that the guy sitting behind Wilson at NC State was Mike Glennon, the third highest rated QB recruit behind Andrew Luck out of high school. His parents demanded that he be given a shot to play at NC State, else he would have transferred. Mike Glennon is the "prototypical NFL passer": 6ft6 tall, strong arm, somewhat mobile within the pocket. Russell Wilson really struggled his last season at NC State, because they tried to make him a pass only QB, playing him mostly from the pocket. He threw something like 14 INTs (28 TDs), the most INT he ever threw in his 3 years at NC State.
    The coach wanted an "open competition". RW saw that (rightfully) as a way for the coach to try an push him out. He decided not to come back, because he had finished school.
    RW was pushed out of NC State. There is no doubt about that. Mike Glennon has been average at best the last 2 seasons and the coach was fired a few months ago.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 927
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm




It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online