Eagles permitted to interview Gus Bradley for HC job

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawknballs":238g2xl2 said:
weird. people baggin on our D-coordinator when we just had probably the best defensive season ever for the franchise? Didn't realize we were in Philly.

It no different than people still hating Holmgren. There will always be hater no matter how successful you are.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
decaff907":1blup63o said:
Honestly don't see it as a big deal either way, whether he leaves or not. This is Pete's defense at its core, running on Pete's ideas, and using Pete's players. The next man up philosophy should work just fine.

Actually, the D really took off when Dan Quin had the idea of using Red Bryant at the position he's at now. This isn't all Pete's baby. With all of the young talent we like to use, having extra-ordinary teaching skill is vital..and that's (according to Pete) one of the major strengths Bradley brings to the table. Peter can't be everywhere at once, so, if we lose Gus, I'm sure he will put a lot of thought into the replacement.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j0evr2o3 said:
I would not want to lose Bradley, but;

1. He's probably pretty far down the list of coaches as far as priority of wanting to hire.
2. Our defense is good to go for the next 3-5 years minimum, I don't see losing Bradley as hurting our D.
3. Any competent D coordinator would pull a hamstring wanting to come to Seattle to coach this defense.
Never was a Bradley fan, despite the massive success this year. I see that as more of Carroll's touch. Third down lack of success is extremely troubling.

I don't know if he'd be a good fit or not, but it would certainly make Monty Kiffin rumors explode. All 3 of your points are solid.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is the plight of every successful organization. You spend vast sums of resources cultivating and empowering your best and brightest, then someone else comes along and tries to better the deal they are currently getting, in the hope that that person can have equal or greater result within your organization. Gus is a product of the system. Pete knows that this is the nature of things and I suspect succession planning has already been underway for both Gus and Cable. I for one hope that both of them stay. Bevell is the one I am still not sure about.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Does anyone actually think he will get the job?

I dunno, I guess he could be a fall back guy like Zorn was if they end up missing out on a bigger fish.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
NFL Coaching has become a family business.
No wonder, some people are crying foul and former player are never given opportunities to coach ...
Shanahan and Son
Shottenheimer and Son
Caroll and Son
I'm sure there is more.

In the meantime, some proven players ... and just forgotten ... so fast ...
I'm not saying these guys won't be good coaches ... but, shouldn't former players be given a better shot?
sc85sis":301xl7y0 said:
  • Norton's only DC experience was for a year at the HS level before he joined Pete's USC staff as a GA in 2004.
  • Richard has no DC experience. He was a GA at USC for 2 years prior to following Pete to the Hawks.
  • D-line coach Todd Wash has DC experience at the college level.
  • Rocky Seto was DC for Pete at USC for one year after Holt left and then followed Pete to Seattle.

On a completely unrelated note, Nate Carroll looks more and more like his dad with every passing year. http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/na ... 04884cc057

mrblitz

Reaction score
if we lose gus, ray horton for the win! he's an ex-husky, and runs a great defense in arizona.

probably a lot of bradley's coaching stock will be determined by how our defense does in the playoffs.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mrblitz":1kkrbjbk said:
if we lose gus, ray horton for the win! he's an ex-husky, and runs a great defense in arizona.

probably a lot of bradley's coaching stock will be determined by how our defense does in the playoffs.

Yes and I am so sure Arizona would allow that to happen. Not to mention that his scheme is not similar to ours.

Seaman

Reaction score
I try not to say any negative things about the Hawks, but man, Nate Carroll looks like a total schlub! I'm sure I would take advantage of my surroundings if my dad was a great coach (and team president), too... but still... What a lucky dude!

And in regard to the news mentioned by the OP: I am not terrified by the thought of this actually happening because of Pete, himself. I honestly think it is more of an exploratory interview, more than a "we're interested in you" interview, though.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
if gus goes to eagles, Lovie smith will come here.
and if bevel leaves Jon gruden.... ;) that's who I would take anyhow.

quadsas

Reaction score
Gruden would jizz in his pants if given opportunity to coach Wilson

MadSweeney

Reaction score
quadsas":le5yrzim said:
Gruden would jizz in his pants if given opportunity to coach Wilson
As HC, yes. As long as the money was close to what ESPN keeps increasing his pay to.

As an OC, not a chance.

He has all the cards and won't step out of the booth without a massive payday and almost total personnel control.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Seaman":1xsgeyp7 said:
I try not to say any negative things about the Hawks, but man, Nate Carroll looks like a total schlub! I'm sure I would take advantage of my surroundings if my dad was a great coach (and team president), too... but still... What a lucky dude!

And in regard to the news mentioned by the OP: I am not terrified by the thought of this actually happening because of Pete, himself. I honestly think it is more of an exploratory interview, more than a "we're interested in you" interview, though.
Yeah, what a schlub.
Carroll-student-Pacific.jpeg

Oh wait, that's not Nate. Here's Nate.
120718-carrolln-480.jpg

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...-Carroll/034a2c82-b92f-451d-9175-838d3ddd49f4

hawksfan515

Reaction score
on some podcasts I have listened to, many of them have praised Bradley for his defensive schemes, and even suggested he makes Seattle's D more effective (Trent Dilfer on the latter). I do not want to lose him. But then again, I guess leading the league in points allowed is easy huh?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I have a feeling the Eagles will go some other direction, they're going to make a splashy hire of some sort.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
You're replacing Andy Reid here. The most successful coach in your teams history. You need to make a splash here. Gus, better luck in a few years. That's my opinion.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Per NFL Network, the Browns are trying to get permission to talk to Tom about being their next coach. Although I believe that they will ultimately go a different route, Chip Kelly, I would hate to see Tom go.