Ron Jaworski ranks the rookies

MadSweeney

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":1jpe5kl2 said:
jkitsune":1jpe5kl2 said:
But now they're essentially tied statistically. Either one could win it, and I'm guessing that RG3 will, for whatever reason - but that's fine by me. He deserves it every bit as much as RW. They both deserve it more than Luck. In my heart of hearts, I don't know that I honestly believe either RG3 or RW stand out as 'more deserving' than the other.

I've been trying real hard to think of reasons Griffin deserves it over Wilson... But I'm having a hard time coming up with one other than a lack of turnovers. Wilson's thrown 393 passes (2.5% INT rate) and Griff has thrown 393 passes (1.3% INT rate). Griffin also has more rush TDs and rush yards. But then Wilson has six more passing touchdowns. They're so neck and neck it's crazy. Those six more touchdowns actually translate to him having more touchdowns in total.

I don't think you can go wrong with having either one of these guys as your franchise quarterback or rookie of the year. Both of our teams hit the lottery with these guys :)
:2:
New to the forum but I've been a Seahawk's fan since before probably half of you were born (aka when they started).

Niceties out of the way, I don't know that you could call RG3 a lottery ticket. The Skins paid a heavy price for him (to the Lambs no less) to get him. He's an expensive but very sound and profitable investment. For the price paid, Five-Eighths (my unsuccessful nickname for him) blows away RG3 as an investment and imo can be easily called a lottery win. That said, I am the opposite of you in that I can't think of a reason to give it to Five Eights over RG3. The only chance he had of pulling an upset would be to have RG3 have an off game (which he did, but obviously that was unknown at the time) and for FE to have another outstanding game. Which he didn't. So the upset probably won't happen, though it's still possible. However, I would rather them have to go through adversity and witness the leadership of the little guy and fight back for a win than to go into DC without having to actually claw through a game for 4 straight games. As much as I'd love to see him win it, I'd rather increase our chances of having a game to watch next weekend.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":26bkavga said:
I think both RGIII and Wilson graduated in 3 years as well. The era of the "dumb black running QB" seems to be over.

I too am curious to know who belongs in that "era" I mean do black quarterbacks like; Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Randall Cunningham, and Daunte Culpepper belong to this era? I seem to recall all these particular quarterbacks to be exemplary. Or perhaps you're talking about the one or two that everyone likes to talk about, JeMarcus Russell and Vince Young and more or less bagging on Vick, to some people have to agree that he is (was) a great athlete and a good quarterback (good not great). If that is the case, regarding (JeMarcus) Russell and Young as an "era" is pretty asinine. More like bad picks that didn't work out.

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3tsp8xjj said:
RiggoReincarnated":3tsp8xjj said:
I think both RGIII and Wilson graduated in 3 years as well. The era of the "dumb black running QB" seems to be over.

I too am curious to know who belongs in that "era" I mean do black quarterbacks like; Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Randall Cunningham, and Daunte Culpepper belong to this era? I seem to recall all these particular quarterbacks to be exemplary. Or perhaps you're talking about the one or two that everyone likes to talk about, JeMarcus Russell and Vince Young and more or less bagging on Vick, to some people have to agree that he is (was) a great athlete and a good quarterback (good not great). If that is the case, regarding (JeMarcus) Russell and Young as an "era" is pretty asinine. More like bad picks that didn't work out.

I just meant in general. It was a big deal for Doug Williams to win the Super Bowl because previously there was a stereotype amongst much of the NFL that a black quarterback never could lead at that position.

One thing is for sure, both RGIII and Wilson have the mental acuity the latter 2 you mentioned would dream to have. The ones you mentioned as exemplary, I agree. Though only Moon I feel warrants Hall of Fame material for what he did over the duration of his career....Super Bowl victory or not.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Jaworski has NEVER liked RW. I have listened to him consistently on Mike and Mike and he always says "RW is a nice story, but Luck is better than RW". He doesn't like running QBs. He likes QBs like Manning, who sit in the pocket and throws.
But, what bothers me about people like Jaworski is, he will have all types of praises for Rothlisberger for his "Ability to extend plays and get out of the pocket and throws". How different is Rookie Rothlisberger and Russell Wilson? The only difference is size. Unfortunately , RW can't grow to become as tall or Roth.
In a couple of years, Johny Mainzel will be coming out of college. He is barely 6ft tall, but he is an excellent runner. I have no doubt nobody will question his size or arm strength.

Here is Ron Jaworski prior to the 2011 NF Draft:
Ron Jaworski knows what it takes to be an NFL quarterback. He was a pretty good one, after all. The former Eagle and current ESPN analyst did his homework on the top quarterbacks in the draft, watching hours of tape, and ranked the top seven as such: (1) Blaine Gabbert, Missouri; (2) Newton, Auburn; (3) Colin Kaepernick, Nevada; (4) Christian Ponder, Florida State; (5) Ryan Mallett, Arkansas; (6) Jake Locker, Washington; (7) Andy Dalton, TCU.
Here is the source:
http://articles.philly.com/2011-04-28/sports/29483327_1_ryan-mallett-nfl-quarterback-blaine-gabbert

hawker84

Reaction score
well riggo, do appreciate the attempt to explain yourself, but ya that's pretty bad, and just an unecessary comment, observation, whatever you want to call it... it's 2013 , not the 60's, at least on the west coast anyways...

Harperville

Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick one slot behind Russell? Explain that one to me.

mikeak

Reaction score
Not sure where this belongs but was just readin Simmins article and had to tea one part twice. Luck has 28 turnovers. To go with his 18 interceptions he has 10!!!! Fumbles

Pretty amazing from the rookie of the year.......

joeseahawks

Reaction score
When the Lame Stream Corporate media loves you, you can't do no wrong.
How many Super Bowl has Brett Favre won?
How many Super Bowls has Payton Manning won?
You would be shocked by the answer.
Listening to the Media, one could think ... these guys have won as many SB as Michael Jordan has won NBA championships ... Isn't that ridiculous?

Unless Andrew Luck turns into ... JaMarcus Russell, Luck will be on TV every single year more than anyone else from the Rookie class.
I can't complain ONE bit. RW is very comfortable with who he is and he doesn't need the media to validate him.
RW might become the Tim Duncan of the NFL. The Short Fundamental.
mikeak":1x5xrpbe said:
Not sure where this belongs but was just readin Simmins article and had to tea one part twice. Luck has 28 turnovers. To go with his 18 interceptions he has 10!!!! Fumbles

Pretty amazing from the rookie of the year.......

drastik

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2h3xpest said:
RiggoReincarnated":2h3xpest said:

Jesus, Redskins fans are racist. I'm not saying you believe, or have ever believed, in what you quoted; but that you'd even bring it up is just like...Wow. You guys see racism everywhere. Even places where it doesn't exist. (Cough, our forum.)
You guys REALLY have to stop associating the opinions/viewpoints of select fans with the entire fan base of the Washington Redskins.

The state of Maryland is extremely diverse, in fact as a state it's something like top 5 in the country in terms of percentage of African Americans.

The counties in Maryland that border DC are also something like 70% African American. I'm sorry for ranting too much about demographics, but it bothers me as a fan of the Redskins when I constantly people take the ignorant comments of other Redskins fans and assume the ENTIRE FANBASE of the Washington Redskins feels the same way.