Eagles permitted to interview Gus Bradley for HC job

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
We have a game to plan for. Why didn't the F.O. tell them the shove it until after we win the Super Bowl? Gor-ram. (I hate coach pilfering during the season on all levels.)

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Nooooooo, I want to keep as much continuity in the coaching staff as possible from season to season.

acbass

Reaction score
I like Gus. I always thought it spoke volumes that he wasnt axed when Mora was fired. He wasnt Pete's guy, but they liked him enough to keep him around.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
His stock will go way up if we roll over WA on our way to hoisting the Lombardi. Conversely, down if we don't. My 2 cents.

decaff907

Reaction score
Honestly don't see it as a big deal either way, whether he leaves or not. This is Pete's defense at its core, running on Pete's ideas, and using Pete's players. The next man up philosophy should work just fine.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pstark3":31aya305 said:
Why would the eagles want less pass rush?

They really want soft zone coverages in crunch time!

Hawkfan509

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":c7m1y6h8 said:
Does Ken Norton Jr. have any d-coord experience?

No. Bradley didnt either when the Hawks hired him. This is the way it works. Position coaches move to coordinators. This is Pete's defense. He will just plug someone else into the position and tell him what to do

endzorn

Reaction score
I wish him well because he's a former NDSU Bison coach, but I don't think losing him would hurt our defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he crushed this interview.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Being the local Eagles fan on the forum, allow me to just attempt to provide a bit of good news to you guys. I highly doubt the Eagles are going to hire Gus Bradley (As much as I'd love it).

I think the #1 target of Jeff Lurie/Howie Roseman was Chip Kelly and thankfully, he appears to be headed to Cleveland. But its not much of a secret that they prefer an offensive minded head coach to take over for Reid. I think they are just interviewing him because he's proved worthy of an opportunity but I don't expect them to be all that serious about it.

They are interviewing Mike McCoy (Denver's OC) on Sunday and I expect him to be the guy.

So breathe easy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Weren't we all surprised when Jim Zorn was hired as the O-Coordinator and then Head Coach of the Redskins?

Sometimes a good interview and good references can do wonders.

Bradley nailed his interview to become our D-Coordinator under Mora, and then nailed his interview to stay on with Pete. Don't be surprised if he wows the Eagles.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is Petes defense, when the guys come off the fieild Pete is coaching them up. I suspect Norton will step in or Richard if Bradley leaves. Although he has a good thing here and years of success in front of him. He also knows what mess we had and how it was fixed, I'm sure thats the biggest aspect of them wanting him there.

kearly

Reaction score
Two thoughts on this:

#1: I've always personally suspected that Bradley has held this defense back, at least in 2012. The whole 4 man rush with zone coverage (which has been shambolic), that's more on Bradley than Carroll I suspect. Yes, Carroll has Tampa 2 roots, but he didn't hesitate to blitz at USC like Seattle has this season. IIRC it's Bradley who makes the defensive playcalls for the Seahawks. The whole Red Bryant idea and the idea of a typical 4 man rush are horribly at odds with each other- it strikes me as two coaches having conflicting philosophies. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it looks from my vantage point.

#2: Even if I'm wrong and Bradley is a genius DC (he didn't look like one in 2009), I have complete confidence that Pete can find a good replacement. Let's not forget that Carroll made Nick Holt look good, and that's no small feat.

salamander

Reaction score
This is a good thing. This is what happens to good teams/organizations. As long as Pete is the coach this will continue. The good thing is the next one in line will be just as good or better. Carroll at USC or Belichick are prime examples.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I wish him the best, he has done a fantastic job.

I just wish they would wait until he is finished doing his job though. Do we really need him worrying about interviewing during the playoffs?

sc85sis

Reaction score
  • Norton's only DC experience was for a year at the HS level before he joined Pete's USC staff as a GA in 2004.
  • Richard has no DC experience. He was a GA at USC for 2 years prior to following Pete to the Hawks.
  • D-line coach Todd Wash has DC experience at the college level.
  • Rocky Seto was DC for Pete at USC for one year after Holt left and then followed Pete to Seattle.

On a completely unrelated note, Nate Carroll looks more and more like his dad with every passing year. http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/na ... 04884cc057

sc85sis

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":11kds4mp said:
What about bringing in Monte Kiffin to run the defense next year? Pete and him would work well together.
Although Pete and Monte are great friends and Pete picked up Cover 2 and Tampa 2 concepts from Monte, their use of Tampa 2 is decidedly different (or so I've been told by people more in the know than I). It might be a great partnership, or it might not. I just don't know.

Whatever happens, I'm sure Pete will keep the D going strong.

Latest posts