Eagles permitted to interview Gus Bradley for HC job

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Christ on a bike...
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• NO! Go away you crappy Eagles. Go hire Chip Kelly or something stupid like that.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Gus is gonna be a head coach somewhere sooner or later. I wonder if our secondary coach Kris Richard is going to replace Gus eventually
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• I'm not worried.

They're interviewing Bradley to pick his brain on how to stop RGIII next year and beyond... to help them decide which HC to hire.

No way are they seriously considering Gus as their next HC, imo.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Makes me feel somewhat better that we have a defensive minded head coach. I expect our assistant coaches to be much like our players, next man up with the personality and traits to fit the role, very little failure that way.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I would think Ken Norton would be a logical replacement.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

• Jeez is this what it feels like to have a dominant team. Other teams trying to cherry pick your coaches... crap, and I thought there was no downside.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Booo
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• well it is illegal to interview any playoff teams coaching staff while they are still in the playoffs, so we have a few more weeks of bradley.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• I'm happy that Bradley gets an interview,....I doubt that he's really high on their list though,...another year or 2 of solid coaching and he might be plucked away from the Hawks by some team.
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:well it is illegal to interview any playoff teams coaching staff while they are still in the playoffs, so we have a few more weeks of bradley.

That is not correct. Sorry for linking to 49ers site but it is what googled found me that matches what I heard elsewhere on radio etc

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/31/ ... nt-coaches

NOTE: January 13 - Assistant coaches under contract with playoff teams that won Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games.
    Last edited by mikeak on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I would not want to lose Bradley, but;

1. He's probably pretty far down the list of coaches as far as priority of wanting to hire.
    2. Our defense is good to go for the next 3-5 years minimum, I don't see losing Bradley as hurting our D.
    3. Any competent D coordinator would pull a hamstring wanting to come to Seattle to coach this defense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Good. I never liked Gus.
    gadgor
    NET Practice Squad

• They're also interviewing Colts OC Bruce Arians. Hope they really, really, really like Arians.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• We should be so lucky. This personnel has nothing to do with him. We need more from less and not less from more.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Being a young team, I would rather keep as much continuity for as long as possible.

Also, Gus is improving each year and it is showing on the field.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Why would the eagles want less pass rush?
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Maybe our defensive players make him look good.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

• Does Ken Norton Jr. have any d-coord experience?
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• weird. people baggin on our D-coordinator when we just had probably the best defensive season ever for the franchise? Didn't realize we were in Philly.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• We have a game to plan for. Why didn't the F.O. tell them the shove it until after we win the Super Bowl? Gor-ram. (I hate coach pilfering during the season on all levels.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Nooooooo, I want to keep as much continuity in the coaching staff as possible from season to season.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I like Gus. I always thought it spoke volumes that he wasnt axed when Mora was fired. He wasnt Pete's guy, but they liked him enough to keep him around.
    acbass
    NET Starter

• Who cares? I don't consider him irreplaceable.

If he leaves maybe we bring in Monte himself m
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• You know your defense is good when...
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• His stock will go way up if we roll over WA on our way to hoisting the Lombardi. Conversely, down if we don't. My 2 cents.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Honestly don't see it as a big deal either way, whether he leaves or not. This is Pete's defense at its core, running on Pete's ideas, and using Pete's players. The next man up philosophy should work just fine.
    decaff907
    NET Rookie

• Pstark3 wrote:Why would the eagles want less pass rush?

They really want soft zone coverages in crunch time!
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Hawken-Dazs wrote:Does Ken Norton Jr. have any d-coord experience?

No. Bradley didnt either when the Hawks hired him. This is the way it works. Position coaches move to coordinators. This is Pete's defense. He will just plug someone else into the position and tell him what to do
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• mistaowen wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:Why would the eagles want less pass rush?

They really want soft zone coverages in crunch time!

This made me LOL!!!!

I wouldn't miss him.
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• I wish him well because he's a former NDSU Bison coach, but I don't think losing him would hurt our defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he crushed this interview.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Being the local Eagles fan on the forum, allow me to just attempt to provide a bit of good news to you guys. I highly doubt the Eagles are going to hire Gus Bradley (As much as I'd love it).

I think the #1 target of Jeff Lurie/Howie Roseman was Chip Kelly and thankfully, he appears to be headed to Cleveland. But its not much of a secret that they prefer an offensive minded head coach to take over for Reid. I think they are just interviewing him because he's proved worthy of an opportunity but I don't expect them to be all that serious about it.

They are interviewing Mike McCoy (Denver's OC) on Sunday and I expect him to be the guy.

So breathe easy.
    xkj1985x
    NET Bench Warmer

• Weren't we all surprised when Jim Zorn was hired as the O-Coordinator and then Head Coach of the Redskins?

Sometimes a good interview and good references can do wonders.

Bradley nailed his interview to become our D-Coordinator under Mora, and then nailed his interview to stay on with Pete. Don't be surprised if he wows the Eagles.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• This is Petes defense, when the guys come off the fieild Pete is coaching them up. I suspect Norton will step in or Richard if Bradley leaves. Although he has a good thing here and years of success in front of him. He also knows what mess we had and how it was fixed, I'm sure thats the biggest aspect of them wanting him there.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Two thoughts on this:

#1: I've always personally suspected that Bradley has held this defense back, at least in 2012. The whole 4 man rush with zone coverage (which has been shambolic), that's more on Bradley than Carroll I suspect. Yes, Carroll has Tampa 2 roots, but he didn't hesitate to blitz at USC like Seattle has this season. IIRC it's Bradley who makes the defensive playcalls for the Seahawks. The whole Red Bryant idea and the idea of a typical 4 man rush are horribly at odds with each other- it strikes me as two coaches having conflicting philosophies. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it looks from my vantage point.

#2: Even if I'm wrong and Bradley is a genius DC (he didn't look like one in 2009), I have complete confidence that Pete can find a good replacement. Let's not forget that Carroll made Nick Holt look good, and that's no small feat.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• This is a good thing. This is what happens to good teams/organizations. As long as Pete is the coach this will continue. The good thing is the next one in line will be just as good or better. Carroll at USC or Belichick are prime examples.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• I wish him the best, he has done a fantastic job.

I just wish they would wait until he is finished doing his job though. Do we really need him worrying about interviewing during the playoffs?
    seahawksTopGear
    NET Rookie

• Norton's only DC experience was for a year at the HS level before he joined Pete's USC staff as a GA in 2004.
    • Richard has no DC experience. He was a GA at USC for 2 years prior to following Pete to the Hawks.
    • D-line coach Todd Wash has DC experience at the college level.
    • Rocky Seto was DC for Pete at USC for one year after Holt left and then followed Pete to Seattle.

On a completely unrelated note, Nate Carroll looks more and more like his dad with every passing year. http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/na ... 04884cc057
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• What about bringing in Monte Kiffin to run the defense next year? Pete and him would work well together.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:What about bringing in Monte Kiffin to run the defense next year? Pete and him would work well together.

Although Pete and Monte are great friends and Pete picked up Cover 2 and Tampa 2 concepts from Monte, their use of Tampa 2 is decidedly different (or so I've been told by people more in the know than I). It might be a great partnership, or it might not. I just don't know.

Whatever happens, I'm sure Pete will keep the D going strong.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Hawknballs wrote:weird. people baggin on our D-coordinator when we just had probably the best defensive season ever for the franchise? Didn't realize we were in Philly.

It no different than people still hating Holmgren. There will always be hater no matter how successful you are.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• decaff907 wrote:Honestly don't see it as a big deal either way, whether he leaves or not. This is Pete's defense at its core, running on Pete's ideas, and using Pete's players. The next man up philosophy should work just fine.

Actually, the D really took off when Dan Quin had the idea of using Red Bryant at the position he's at now. This isn't all Pete's baby. With all of the young talent we like to use, having extra-ordinary teaching skill is vital..and that's (according to Pete) one of the major strengths Bradley brings to the table. Peter can't be everywhere at once, so, if we lose Gus, I'm sure he will put a lot of thought into the replacement.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:I would not want to lose Bradley, but;

1. He's probably pretty far down the list of coaches as far as priority of wanting to hire.
    2. Our defense is good to go for the next 3-5 years minimum, I don't see losing Bradley as hurting our D.
    3. Any competent D coordinator would pull a hamstring wanting to come to Seattle to coach this defense.

Never was a Bradley fan, despite the massive success this year. I see that as more of Carroll's touch. Third down lack of success is extremely troubling.

I don't know if he'd be a good fit or not, but it would certainly make Monty Kiffin rumors explode. All 3 of your points are solid.
    MadSweeney
    NET Rookie

• Unfortunately this is the plight of every successful organization. You spend vast sums of resources cultivating and empowering your best and brightest, then someone else comes along and tries to better the deal they are currently getting, in the hope that that person can have equal or greater result within your organization. Gus is a product of the system. Pete knows that this is the nature of things and I suspect succession planning has already been underway for both Gus and Cable. I for one hope that both of them stay. Bevell is the one I am still not sure about.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Why I think there is a plan in place for Sark at some point.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• This tells me that the Eagles miss Jim Johnson.....took them a while.
    captSE
    NET Starter

• Does anyone actually think he will get the job?

I dunno, I guess he could be a fall back guy like Zorn was if they end up missing out on a bigger fish.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• NFL Coaching has become a family business.
    No wonder, some people are crying foul and former player are never given opportunities to coach ...
    Shanahan and Son
    Shottenheimer and Son
    Caroll and Son
    I'm sure there is more.

In the meantime, some proven players ... and just forgotten ... so fast ...
    I'm not saying these guys won't be good coaches ... but, shouldn't former players be given a better shot?
    sc85sis wrote:
    • Norton's only DC experience was for a year at the HS level before he joined Pete's USC staff as a GA in 2004.
    • Richard has no DC experience. He was a GA at USC for 2 years prior to following Pete to the Hawks.
    • D-line coach Todd Wash has DC experience at the college level.
    • Rocky Seto was DC for Pete at USC for one year after Holt left and then followed Pete to Seattle.

On a completely unrelated note, Nate Carroll looks more and more like his dad with every passing year. http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/na ... 04884cc057
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• if we lose gus, ray horton for the win! he's an ex-husky, and runs a great defense in arizona.

probably a lot of bradley's coaching stock will be determined by how our defense does in the playoffs.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information