Flynn or Sanchez as backup

Shock2k

Reaction score
This is pretty funny. From Rotowire on Josh Portis Feb 2012:
"GM John Schneider insists the Seahawks are "really excited" about the potential of second-year QB Josh Portis."He had a phenomenal preseason," said Schneider, "and made a lot of progress throughout the year as well." Schneider once again emphasized that the team will not make any panic moves at quarterback, such as "giving up draft choices to go get somebody" or "guaranteeing somebody a ton of money that you're not quite sure is the guy that's going to get you over the hump." That would seem to rule out RGIII and Matt Flynn. Thu, Feb 23, 2012 06:18:00 PMSource: Tacoma News Tribune "

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
so do you guys think the Hawks FO will be trading Flynn?? There was some talk on NFL Live last night alluding to such a move . . . Thoughts??

chawx

Reaction score
SkinsGuru":1xbh9pdi said:
so do you guys think the Hawks FO will be trading Flynn?? There was some talk on NFL Live last night alluding to such a move . . . Thoughts??

Nah...I think we keep him. IF we trade him though, I hope it's to follow Tarvaris Jackson over to Buffalo, the guy has been groomed under the top 2 QBs in the NFL right now (Discount Double-check and Russell Wilson), he's going to be good when he gets his chance.

Shock2k

Reaction score
One of our posters broke this down earlier, I can't find the post. Basically it will come down to us being able to free up CAP. If we can't in a move of Flynn we will keep him. There was also talk of getting maybe a 4th rounder (or if lucky a 3rd) for him.

Most likely will shake out after the draft.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Keep Flynn if we can. If we can't I would try and get TJ back. He would be a good backup to Wilson if we lose or trade Flynn.

edogg23

Reaction score
I would keep Flynn unless he demands a trade. Having a capable backup to Wilson is more much more valuable than some extra draft pick that may have to fight to even make the roster on this deep team.

Cartire

Reaction score
Flynn is not that big of a hit as you guys are projecting it to be. Because our STARTER RW is making almost minimum pay, It offsets Flynns larger (and not crazy large btw) contract. We have 2 QB's on the Team right now that make a small fraction combined then most teams Starter QB's. There is no reason to get rid of our legit backup right now. He needs to remain one more season, then we project after that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":3t3d7v4w said:
Flynn is not that big of a hit as you guys are projecting it to be. Because our STARTER RW is making almost minimum pay, It offsets Flynns larger (and not crazy large btw) contract. We have 2 QB's on the Team right now that make a small fraction combined then most teams Starter QB's. There is no reason to get rid of our legit backup right now. He needs to remain one more season, then we project after that.

This is true, but why not take advantage of that bonus by bringing in a lower priced backup? That way we have more cap space to sign a free agent starter......or to keep one of our own starters.

IMO with Wilson we have an advantage over other teams in regards to cap space........but that's negated if we keep Flynn. Yes he's a good backup, but is THAT much better and/or worth keeping over another suitable backup? That's the argument.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seriously, I'd keep Flynn for at least another year. If that's even an option; looking at the draft, and how many QB hungry teams are out there, I can seriously see someone coughing up a 2nd rounder for Flynn this year.

Looking at the names out there: TJack, Leinart, Palmer, Cassell, throw in Sanchez......Flynn is better than any of them by a fairly wide margin. Keeping Flynn is a safe way to hedge your bets that the NFL figures Wilson out next year, an injury, or a sophomore slump.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":139op6n9 said:
Cartire":139op6n9 said:

This is true, but why not take advantage of that bonus by bringing in a lower priced backup? That way we have more cap space to sign a free agent starter......or to keep one of our own starters.

IMO with Wilson we have an advantage over other teams in regards to cap space........but that's negated if we keep Flynn. Yes he's a good backup, but is THAT much better and/or worth keeping over another suitable backup? That's the argument.

But we have no cap hits next year. Almost our whole team is rolling over again into next year. The only notables that need new contacts are Jason Jones and, I cant think of who else. Why would we need to sign an expensive free agent starter? Im sure we will grab some guys, but we dont need to break the bank to get anyone. We hold onto flynn for one more year (cause you never know what will happen) since it doesnt hurt us at all, and then we can start looking somewhere else when we need can free up some more space.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":3p0fl11h said:
But we have no cap hits next year. Almost our whole team is rolling over again into next year. The only notables that need new contacts are Jason Jones and, I cant think of who else. Why would we need to sign an expensive free agent starter? Im sure we will grab some guys, but we dont need to break the bank to get anyone. We hold onto flynn for one more year (cause you never know what will happen) since it doesnt hurt us at all, and then we can start looking somewhere else when we need can free up some more space.

This is a great young team, but by no means is there not room for improvement.

- We still need a top tier burner type WR opposite of Rice that can stretch the field
- The right side of our OL could be upgraded
- Our LB corp is thin, and Hill isn't getting any younger. That position could be upgraded.

You get my point, if there's a big named free agent out there I'd like as much cap space as possible to land him. Carroll and Schneider have proven that they can upgrade through the draft. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't go after free agents if available.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18y2tpnv said:
You get my point, if there's a big named free agent out there I'd like as much cap space as possible to land him. Carroll and Schneider have proven that they can upgrade through the draft. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't go after free agents if available.

I would hope that Schneider follows his Green Bay roots when it comes to FA. Avoid the big payday names and get the depth that fits the team. Use FA as rarely as possible, and only when the opportunity and cost mesh with the team's overall philosophy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1xcjdsmr said:
Sgt. Largent":1xcjdsmr said:

I would hope that Schneider follows his Green Bay roots when it comes to FA. Avoid the big payday names and get the depth that fits the team. Use FA as rarely as possible, and only when the opportunity and cost mesh with the team's overall philosophy.

Mostly agree, but if we have a chance to bring in a Bowe or Wallace type that won't break the bank? How can you pass that up?

You're right though, it's obvious that Schneider is staying true to his GB roots with building a super strong foundation through the draft at every position, then adding pieces.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2k8sn2sw said:
volsunghawk":2k8sn2sw said:
Sgt. Largent":2k8sn2sw said:

Mostly agree, but if we have a chance to bring in a Bowe or Wallace type that won't break the bank? How can you pass that up?

You're right though, it's obvious that Schneider is staying true to his GB roots with building a super strong foundation through the draft at every position, then adding pieces.

Bowe will break the bank and Wallace is on the Decline. Having Bowe would be nice, but not worth the pocket book. Wallace is the next Branch and Hucsh if he comes here.

redhawk253

Reaction score
theres no reason to pay flynn 6.5 million next season or 7.25 million the year after that when we could be spending that on a position like DT which needs a serious upgrade for next year.

redhawk253

Reaction score
mike wallace will be the steal of free agency next season if he goes somewhere with a true qb and passing game.. wideouts that can stretch the field like him but still run any other route you tell him to all while having pretty good hands dont come along very often.. "on the decline" i disagree completely.. bad contract.. not getting along with the coach.. backup qbs throwing to him half the season... those are the only reasons his numbers were down this year. im really hoping we take a flier on this kid.. he would immediately give wilson a huge weapon that would match up with his long ball very well and make our wr core elite.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":e44vz8zt said:
Bowe will break the bank and Wallace is on the Decline. Having Bowe would be nice, but not worth the pocket book. Wallace is the next Branch and Hucsh if he comes here.

Wallace is only 26, so not sure why you think he's on the decline. Not his best year, but Worthlessberger was hurt or stunk most of 2012.........so not Wallace's fault.

I wouldn't break the bank for the guy, but I'd love to have him. Bowe is older, so I DEFINITELY wouldn't sign him unless the price and contract length was right.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It would have to be reasonable for Wallace. As of right now, all three of our starting WRs are stretching the field. Do they blow by defenders and become wide open all the time ? No, but Sydney does when healthy (he's dinged right now, but that's not unusual for NFL players...overall he's been remarkably healthy this year), and Tate and Baldwin are winning jump balls downfield deep.

It's not all about getting an elite guy to go out there and crush the secondary (although that's nice). It's about scheme; our run game predicates how open our guys get downfield. Personally, I'd like a taller, bigger guy like BMW was that can run underneath and intermediate stuff and dominate one on one matchups. It would also be nice if our TEs continue to progress and get better (read: more consistent). You can only send so many guys deep. Say we sign Wallace; do we just run Rice on the other side and run them both deep ? Rice becomes an intermediate/underneath guy ?