Ron Jaworski ranks the rookies

mikeak

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":15tphuee said:
Wow, still can't believe Eli and even Roethlisberger are ahead of Wilson/Griffin. These rookies led their teams to the playoffs AND put up better QBR and qb ratings.

You are surprised that two qb's that have 4!!!! Superbowl rings between them are ranked over two rookies?

NEXT

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
mikeak":46hetisu said:
AF_Hawk":46hetisu said:
Wow, still can't believe Eli and even Roethlisberger are ahead of Wilson/Griffin. These rookies led their teams to the playoffs AND put up better QBR and qb ratings.

You are surprised that two qb's that have 4!!!! Superbowl rings between them are ranked over two rookies?

NEXT

In career rankings, sure. They've rebounded from lesser rookie seasons.

mikeak

Reaction score
This is a best qb list right? That is very different from a rookie of the year list. You could rank RW as higher on a OROY but put Luck higher on the qb ranking. The list should also take body of work into account and then IMHO all the top 10 qbs belong as better qbs than any of the 3 rookies. Get back to me after the playoffs and I will be ready to re-review that..... then lets see how next year goes.

If this was last year everyone would have said Cam Newton should be a top 5 on that list with this mentality. Did you say so? And if so where does he belong today........

No issue with the list - no real difference between 11, 12 and 13

Hope we win on Sunday, RW throws 4td's and RG3 throws 4 int's - that is all that matters

ivotuk

Reaction score
In my thread about Colin Cowherd's picks I listed some stats about Luck and Washington. He interviewed one of the bet makers from Las Vegas that had some really cool stats. Some great info on his show today about the Colts and the Redskins. I would recommend the podcast, I think it's free?

"interesting facts from the "Wise Guy" Colin had on the show: "Andrew Luck has more INTs than TDs on the road."

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61700

OP
OP
A

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2e5da7ad said:
AF_Hawk":2e5da7ad said:

NEXT

Next what? This ranking is based off of this years performance isn't it?

Cartire

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":h8s7tm4s said:
mikeak":h8s7tm4s said:
AF_Hawk":h8s7tm4s said:

NEXT

No, the article clearly states this takes into account QB's previous success. Its an overall current QB's and how they rank in all time compared to each other.

OP
OP
A

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Cartire":jpzexx34 said:
No, the article clearly states this takes into account QB's previous success. Its an overall current QB's and how they rank in all time compared to each other.
Didn't read the article, only watched the video and I didn't even start REALLY listening until I heard the three rookies. My bad.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
There's always the coincidental possibility of a co-ROY award. It all depends on how the votes go, but it would be cool to see RW and RG both get the honor.

It may be unprecedented for OROY, but there have been 3 co-MVPs: 2003 with McNair and Peyton; 1997 Favre and Barry Sanders; 1960 Norm Van Brocklin and Joe Schmidt.

There was also one co-DROY. In 1980 the falcons had two LBs who shared the award: Buddy Curry & Al Richardson

Extra fun fact: in 44 years, 5 overall #1 picks have won OROY, and 3 overall #2 picks.

Extra extra fun fact: The latest-drafted player to win it was Mike Anderson (#189) drafted in 2000 by Mike Shanahan and the Broncos.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Roethlisburger is a damn good QB, even if I hate the team, and I have no problem rating him or Eli above the rookies. Also, I think some of the rankings are a lifetime type thing, which is a disadvantage to new players. Eli Manning had a poor 2nd half of the season, but people aren't going to forget how amazing he's been in the postseason the last few years, and his SB wins....just like Big Ben had an off year(for him), but still put up good stats and played well.

Personally, I think they had Stafford ranked too low there. I also don't agree with Shaub and Ryan. Sure, they have great numbers, but right now, they aren't proven winners, at least Ryan isn't in the postseason. But then again, no rookie is a proven postseason winner yet either, so I guess it makes sense.

As for RGIII, Luck and Wilson, these are the arguments I've heard that make sense:

RGIII isn't asked to do as much. He has a 2 read passing offense, and runs a college offense. The SKins tailored his Baylor offense to ease his transition, so while he has production, he actually hasn't run much of an NFL offense.

Luck has been asked to do more. He has talent around him, has had to pass more to win games (thus upping his INT totals), and he's actually been handed the keys to the ENTIRE offense from day 1. He's been asked to do everything that Brady, Peyton Manning and Rodgers has, and he's handled it. He's making rookies around him better players, and he has as many rushing TD's as Wilson does believe it or not.

Wilson wasn't handed the keys to the offense right away, and there were some growing pains. I think a lot of his INT's were off the hands of his WRs, and while that has something to do with pass placement, I also think people completely disregard that fact and just claim he has more than RGIII. The national perception is that he started slowlly and grew into the player he is, while Griffin was hot right away (going back to the college/pro argument here). The production and numbers are roughly the same between RGIII and Wilson, so it's become a toss up between the two.

mikeak

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":34o27f4e said:
mikeak":34o27f4e said:
AF_Hawk":34o27f4e said:

NEXT

No it is a qb ranking period and I agree with Jaworski that based on body of work and showing where they are year in year out Manning, Big Ben and even Flaco should be higher than all rookies.

Do I see a higher ceiling and have higher long term expectations of this years rookies than players like Flacco - yes but that is a different discussion

kearly

Reaction score
Get used to Wilson not winning RoY. If it was a fan vote, he'd have a chance, but it's an Associated Press vote, and it's shockingly come to the point where fans are more informed than most of the people covering the sport.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":1n4iz1d8 said:
I think both RGIII and Wilson graduated in 3 years as well. The era of the "dumb black running QB" seems to be over.

Jesus, Redskins fans are racist. I'm not saying you believe, or have ever believed, in what you quoted; but that you'd even bring it up is just like...Wow. You guys see racism everywhere. Even places where it doesn't exist. (Cough, our forum.)

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Not to mention Griffin plays on the East coast, not going to be a shock that Griffin wins it. (Albeit, he has played very well this year)

Hawks46 probably made the best case for Luck I've heard but if Luck played as well as Griffin or Wilson have, which is admittedly unfair, then no one would be taking about Griffin or Wilson winning it.

I don't know, I just want the QB playing for Seattle to have the most wins when it's said and done this year.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1eqt0dfr said:
RiggoReincarnated":1eqt0dfr said:
I think both RGIII and Wilson graduated in 3 years as well. The era of the "dumb black running QB" seems to be over.

Jesus, Redskins fans are racist. I'm not saying you believe, or have ever believed, in what you quoted; but that you'd even bring it up is just like...Wow. You guys see racism everywhere. Even places where it doesn't exist. (Cough, our forum.)

I gotta second that, Roland. Sheesh, I had no idea that was even an era. Was it a storied era, an epic era, or just a dumbass thing to say era?

salamander

Reaction score
I thought I saw Jaws lobby for RW for ROTY on First take after week 16. Not sure if he changed his mind after week 17. I suppose it's possible to have a lower ranked QB win ROTY though.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
As I understand it the ROY ballots are collected before the playoffs begin. If that is true, what happens if RG-III wins OROY and then RW beats RG-III & Washington convincingly - then wins out through subsequent playoff games/Super Bowl? This is well within probabilities, so what happens then? Maybe that is why a co-OROY would make a lot of sense. They are both excellent QB's and are very close in many peoples minds, but why is it that the ROY's have to be judged after the regular season, playoff excellence doesn't count????

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
LawHawk":3gbaefrm said:
ELI MANNING???? SCHAUB? FLACCO? WTF??? I can see Ryan and Brees, maybe Roethlisberger. But no way no way no way is Eli Manning or Joe Flacco or Matt Schaub better than our boy.

I think there's a bit of bias going back to Jaworski's playing days. He was a game manager just like Shaub and CrackHoe (Flacco).
I'll give Eli the benefit of the doubt because he's definitely better than CrackHoe and Shaub when the game is on his shoulders...he also has a couple if SB's notched in his belt. Wilson would have to have a larger body of evidence and some SB wins to beat him.