The Skins/Hawks Match Up

LuvMySkins

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":3pr7udcl said:
KDawg_ES":3pr7udcl said:
Greetings,

I am from Extremeskins.com.

Isn't that the site where the same eight "extreme" Redskins fans web stroke each other all day to banjo music and refuse to allow any remotely intelligent football conversation? Sorry dude, it's hard to take you seriously if you claim that garbage as where you're from.
Dude every site has it's share of bad apples. Even this one. It's a shame that you judge an entire group of team fans by a select few.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
KDawg, you do actually bring some good conversation. But it's not just a few on your site, it is literally the "welcome" message to Seahawk fans on your site which says to keep our opinions to ourselves unless we completely agree with the opinions expressed by the ER.com home crowd. Oh, and go away! And we are racist because some idiot allegedly made a comment about Sean Taylor's murder back in 2007.

On to football:

I do think the Seahawk's D matches up very well with your offense. I say very well because I believe that RGIII's degraded physical status will be greatly amplified against this defense. He was able to slip past some of the Cowboy defenders on a couple of occasions, but there is a different level coming this Sunday. Also, Browner and Sherman don't get much pub for their run support but they are both excellent in that regard. Especially Browner who weighs in at about 225lbs and won't normally be denied his point by a WR trying to block him. He is very capable of putting a Kam Chancellor type hit on all comers.

I like Alfred Morris and his nickname is cool too. I believe he will probably get close to hundred yards, but it will be hard earned. He must be very tough to get ahold of because he doesn't seem fast and not much of a wiggle either, but the dude can ball (obviously, 1600 yards). Your other weapons; The Seahawks are #1 in the NFL against opposing #1 receivers. They are 10th against #2s & #3s. Whatever Garcon has done for this offense will likely be greatly diminished against us. We are only mid level against TEs but that is the one position where the Redskins aren't really a factor.

It wasn't too long ago that 'Hawk fans felt our defense had a better shot at stopping an offense on 3rd and 1 as opposed to 3rd and 10. I know that's backward, but it seemed to hold true. Going by memory I think we were statistically last in allowing 3rd down conversions at about the week five mark. Now you say we are 24th. Still not good overall, but it would seem we are about the league average over the past ten weeks or so. Trust me though, every one of us will be holding our breath when we get you to that 3rd and 8-10 yards.

The Seahawks ST is good in all aspects. Looking purely at stats, the Redskin's ST is pretty bad. I hope that you have plenty of kick-off returns against us to prove if the stats are correct or not.

Welcome to .Net, it's a great place!

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":yhj7al7n said:
KDawg, you do actually bring some good conversation. But it's not just a few on your site, it is literally the "welcome" message to Seahawk fans on your site which says to keep our opinions to ourselves unless we completely agree with the opinions expressed by the ER.com home crowd. Oh, and go away! And we are racist because some idiot allegedly made a comment about Sean Taylor's murder back in 2007.

I'll address this now, considering people keep bringing it up. I posted that I was from extremeskins.com in order to prove to you that we have good posters there. Not just one, but many. The mods are not employed by the team, they are merely fans who get tired of wading through stuff. I don't advocate their actions, but it's not just opposing team fans that they put on a short leash. Several 'Skins fans have been banned. Many of which go around to other sites bashing extremeskins.com. To each their own. I don't find the need to bash anyone for their opinions. Everyone is entitled to them and I understand the reasoning behind the forums dislike. But like I said, I came here for two reasons: 1) I love the game of football and want to have some good convo. 2) To represent ES properly.

I'm glad I made the decision to register, I'm having a blast talking football with you guys.

He was able to slip past some of the Cowboy defenders on a couple of occasions, but there is a different level coming this Sunday.

DeMarcus Ware isn't just some defender. He's one of the NFLs best. I don't think the Seahawk Ends play at the same level as Ware. In fact, the only part of your defense that doesn't completely scare me are your guys on the edges.

Also, Browner and Sherman don't get much pub for their run support but they are both excellent in that regard.

Oh, absolutely. Those two can play in all facets of the game. Solid, solid defensive backs. I'm hoping Browner is a bit rusty, to be honest :)

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
The 'Skins run some extremely interesting wrinkles in their offense as well. With the pistol set, and Darrell Young aligned in the backfield (our fullback) they run some interesting plays to keep defenses on their toes. Young is an underrated player, but make no mistake, he's a very, very good fullback.

They run elements of Nevada's offense developed by Chris Ault. You've seen bits and pieces of it with the 49ers and former Wolfpack quarterback Colin Kaepernick, but you haven't seen it to the extent that the Redskins run it.

From the pistol set running the zone read they do some different things. They do it without a fullback. Or they do it with one. When Young is in, they will often have him run directly at the EMLOS (End man on line of scrimmage). Ends and outside backers who are the force player have certain techniques to attack a fullback coming at them. Some utilize the wrong arm, some like to rip across. It varies from team to team. But what winds up throwing that scheme down the toilet is when the fullback doesn't block the end, but rather runs by him and picks up the nearest backer inside (which is called an arc block). That leaves the EMLOS as the read man for the zone read. But keep in mind, that end is also a guy that was primed to be blocked by the fullback, so he's likely out of position one way or the other.

Now, to mix it up, the 'Skins will do the same thing, except instead of having Young arc block the backer, he'll attempt to hook the EMLOS. This is Ault's "Slice" play. By hooking the EMLOS, they seal the exterior of the LOS and open up a running lane to the outside. So the EMLOS now has to worry about Young blocking him or arc releasing past him. Now add the TE seam (or WR seam) option out of the look as well, where Griffin can keep it on the read and throw to the receiver. That receiver should help keep a safety out of the box to prevent the run. I'm A-OK with keeping Earl Thomas occupied by any means necessary. The dude can play.

What's most interesting about this matchup is Carroll's Monte Kiffin taught cover 2 system. It's a flexible defense.

Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are key cogs to stopping the Redskin offense. The Seahawks will probably move Thomas around quite a bit from lining up on the LOS to playing the deep centerfield 1 high man look that they've been using. The Redskins need to have a counter for Thomas' flexibility. He is possibly the best defensive player on your team, in my opinion, and that's saying quite a lot with guys like Mebane, Bryant, Sherman, Browner, Wagner on that defense.

He holds the key to this game (along with your corners). If they can shut down the zone read, the 'Skins will be forced into a base look consisting of the stretch run and zone action off of it. From there, if Seattle can neutralize that, it will be a long game for the 'Skins. But whether they can or not remains to be seen. Seattle's defense ranks 23rd in yards per carry against. They rank the same as the Cowboys do.

I like Seattle's D, and I think they'll have more success against Morris and Griffin in the run game than the Cowboys did, but keep in mind that Washington boasts the number one rushing offense in the NFL.

So while I have concerns over our offense getting moving, my biggest concern is our defense. Your offense is downright scary, and I don't want to see a shootout, because your defense is better than ours, and if it comes down to making one or two key stops you guys certainly have the advantage.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":vdaic36a said:
If your Skins have a lead in the fourth, watch for Wilson to come alive. Since college, the trends have screamed that he gets hottest in crunch time, and his rookie year is no exception. Best of luck Sunday.

The same came be said for RG3, though. Our quarterbacks are both calm, cool and collected and absolute leaders of men.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I looked up ES, but after I read the first post by the mods, I didn't bother reading much more.

Believe me, I've seen opposing fans get torn up here, and for really no good reason at times. I don't really like it when anyone is a total homer, no matter of fan base, because it's really annoying. It's probably less annoying when it's your own team, but it's still somewhat annoying.

That said, the Skins were the team I wanted to face least. It will be a close game, and may the best team win. I hope for a good clean game with no officiating fiascos/drama.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Went to es.com and got banned for saying "All I'm trying to do is gather some discourse on a site I know I can get an opposing opinion. Do you seriously have no interest in conversations with other fans in the league? I'm ok with that, maybe you could direct me to a board that encourages that type of discourse? "

Whatever, I'm just happy to be on this board and out of that kind of strangeness. Thanks for bringing a lucid viewpoint of the Redskins perspective. I think we can all agree it's going to be a fantastic game. The one thing I'm excited to find out is how good the Seahawks really are. I'm also excited to see RGIII up against a top 5 defense.

LuvMySkins

Reaction score
Shock2k":dgwhayhk said:
Went to es.com and got banned for saying "All I'm trying to do is gather some discourse on a site I know I can get an opposing opinion. Do you seriously have no interest in conversations with other fans in the league? I'm ok with that, maybe you could direct me to a board that encourages that type of discourse? "

Whatever, I'm just happy to be on this board and out of that kind of strangeness. Thanks for bringing a lucid viewpoint of the Redskins perspective. I think we can all agree it's going to be a fantastic game. The one thing I'm excited to find out is how good the Seahawks really are. I'm also excited to see RGIII up against a top 5 defense.
That's unfortunate.

Shock2k

Reaction score
LuvMySkins":14to7gsu said:
Shock2k":14to7gsu said:

That's unfortunate.

It's all good, I'm fortunately on a site where you guys can head over and have the conversation I was looking for.

With that, it has to be in the back of your mind that this is going to be the toughest defense you've face all year. You must be wondering how REALLY good your offense is.

When we put up 42 on the 9'ers, it wasn't the real 9'ers, Aldon Smith was shut down without having Justin pullling blocks for him. So I'm really not sure what to think of that game. Especially when the Rams (Still a really good defense) gave us so many problems with thier blitz schemes.

This game gives me more questions then confidence. I kind of wish it was the NFCC Games instead. Maybe next year. I could see these two teams as #1/#2 with byes. (Of course the Seahawks are the #1 seed).

chawx

Reaction score
There's two ways this game is going to go. 1) The Seahawks will get up 10-0 or 14-0 early in the 1st, forcing the 'skins to give up on their run game entirely, and it'll end up being an embarrassing blowout. or 2) see 1.

Sorry 'Skins fans. Thanks for visiting, but seriously, analyze this game all you want, it's not going to change the fact that we have Russell Wilson and He will refuse to let us lose.

3elieve

LuvMySkins

Reaction score
Shock2k":1c9n8v87 said:
It's all good, I'm fortunately on a site where you guys can head over and have the conversation I was looking for.

With that, it has to be in the back of your mind that this is going to be the toughest defense you've face all year. You must be wondering how REALLY good your offense is.

When we put up 42 on the 9'ers, it wasn't the real 9'ers, Aldon Smith was shut down without having Justin pullling blocks for him. So I'm really not sure what to think of that game. Especially when the Rams (Still a really good defense) gave us so many problems with thier blitz schemes.

This game gives me more questions then confidence. I kind of wish it was the NFCC Games instead. Maybe next year. I could see these two teams as #1/#2 with byes. (Of course the Seahawks are the #1 seed).
Im definitely eager to see how you guys play us on offense as when we've played our best (not dropping 10 balls including TDs against the Steelers or a flatout dud of a game from a playcalling standpoint like Carolina) we really havent been stopped on offense. Even with teams that have seen the scheme twice. I have zero confidence in our D to consistently stop anyone but they have surprised me lately by getting stops and key turnovers at almost the perfect time.

We havent seen a defense with the talent you guys have in the secondary so it should be a great battle :)