Redskin Fan's POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Fight 4 Old DC":1z5mhrzw said:
Don't try to pawn off your acute PC values on everyone. Maybe back in the days of the frontier Redskins was offensive. But the times change. Words change their meaning over time. "Gay" used to jut mean happy, now it has a much different interpretation. No one in the entire Skins organization has the slightest bit of malice towards native Americans.
A little history: In 1933 the name was coined In honor of Henry "Lone Star" Dietz a Native American and then coach of the Skins. The helmet insignia was designed by a prominent American Indian who was proud of the heritage it conveyed.
If you really try you can find racism anywhere I guess. But don't look for it hear in Washington. ( I suppose you are appalled at the term Redskin potato )

We're supposed to attack the post, not the poster, so let me lead with the fact this one of the dumbest things I have ever read, and I've read Youtube comments. The mental gymnastics required to create this kind of stupidity would win a gold medal at the summer olympics.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Considering the people at extremeskins.com say anyone calling Sean Taylor a thug is racist, and that thug is a "racially-charged term", I find Fight 4 Old DC's post pretty amusing.

checkdanews

Reaction score
I learned to appreciate the NFCW this week. I used to be annoyed, living in Nor-Cal(9er country) and being a hawk fan.

After dealing with the Redskin fans this week, I am so happy we aren't in the NFCE. Skin fans are the worst....I'm not shouting any obscenities, I am not being a jerk....I am just calling it as I see it...Redskin fans are the most blind homers I've ever dealt with.

I am a honest fan, plus I am superstitious. So I never talk crap about another team, I am always 100% respectful, and have no problem admitting a opposing team is better then my Hawks...but these guys....GEEEEEZ!....just...jeez :229031_banghead:

DohBoy

Reaction score
Fight 4 Old DC":3hmradc2 said:
A little history: In 1933 the name was coined In honor of Henry "Lone Star" Dietz a Native American and then coach of the Skins
Many, many people around these parts know about Lone Star Dietz, as he coached the Cougs to their only Rose Bowl win. Way back in the day...

That said, times (and sensibilities) change. I find it a bit ironic that the nation's capital, home to the government that broke so many Native treaties, is also home to the "Redskins." But then again, when you now have nary a Native American presence in the District and Delmarva, it's easy to be so dismissive. Perhaps you forget that the Pacific Northwest has many proud Native nations and taking offense to such a slur is not simply dismissed as "PC."

BTW: Is Dan "Little Man Syndrome" Synder still pursuing legal action against a writer for, in his opinion, using an anti-Semitic caricature in a piece about him? There's certainly a bit of irony in that...no?

DohBoy

HansGruber

Reaction score
Fight 4 Old DC":3iglgwkf said:
HansGruber":3iglgwkf said:
Did I just see a Redskins fan say they actually LIKE the fight song?

Yeeeesh. If I were a Redskins fan, I would never admit that, and would never sing that song. Go look up the lyrics and the history of that song. They might as well have Aunt Jemima as a mascot, and sing a song about lynching slaves. That team, its fight song, its name and its mascot, are an embarrassment to the NFL.

I'm seriously amazed that Goodell hasn't stepped in and FORCED that crappy second-rate team to change its name and song lyrics. It was tasteless in the 50's and it's even worse now, in the 21st Century. The only saving grace is that the racism is so dated and tacky that it almost seems "antique" or something. You almost don't notice.

Don't try to pawn off your acute PC values on everyone. Maybe back in the days of the frontier Redskins was offensive. But the times change. Words change their meaning over time. "Gay" used to jut mean happy, now it has a much different interpretation. No one in the entire Skins organization has the slightest bit of malice towards native Americans.
A little history: In 1933 the name was coined In honor of Henry "Lone Star" Dietz a Native American and then coach of the Skins. The helmet insignia was designed by a prominent American Indian who was proud of the heritage it conveyed.
If you really try you can find racism anywhere I guess. But don't look for it hear in Washington. ( I suppose you are appalled at the term Redskin potato )

That would seem really heartwarming and even humanitarian if Dietz hadn't been forced to wear a feather headdress and face makeup during games where he was the coach. He wasn't even native American. Did he ever dress like a clown? I actually know a few native Americans and they get kinda annoyed when you start talking about face paint and feathered headdresses. Why not tell your head coach to yodel and wave his hand in front of his mouth when sending in plays? Tell me with a straight face that that kind of behavior isn't grimace-inducing. It'd be hilarious if this was an episode of south park.

I'll repeat myself: It is crass and tasteless that the NFL hasn't already forced that team to change its racist name. Whats next? The LA Negroes? Ugh.

The fact that east coasters don't even realize why it's so distasteful just adds to the sick humor. You can't possibly be that thick.

HansGruber

Reaction score
And just to add to the flames:

I know a lot of Native Americans and not one of them has a name like Dietz. Maybe you could enlighten us and tell us what tribe named its children with a European name like Dietz? The Hansel Tribe? They lived on the shores of the Rhine and hunted wild beaver on the backs of Reindeer. Perhaps you have heard of them?

Fight 4 Old DC

Reaction score
HansGruber":3o0odcet said:

I know a lot of Native Americans and not one of them has a name like Dietz. Maybe you could enlighten us and tell us what tribe named its children with a European name like Dietz? The Hansel Tribe? They lived on the shores of the Rhine and hunted wild beaver on the backs of Reindeer. Perhaps you have heard of them?

You really should do a little homework before spouting off......especially since he has so much history with your fair state. He was the son of a full blooded Sioux mother and German father. He played football at Carlisle Indian Industrial School and was a teammate of Jim Thorpe. He is still revered at Washington State where I believe he was the last coach to win a championship there.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Fight 4 Old DC":2b2dmhem said:
HansGruber":2b2dmhem said:

Yeeeesh. If I were a Redskins fan, I would never admit that, and would never sing that song. Go look up the lyrics and the history of that song. They might as well have Aunt Jemima as a mascot, and sing a song about lynching slaves. That team, its fight song, its name and its mascot, are an embarrassment to the NFL.

I'm seriously amazed that Goodell hasn't stepped in and FORCED that crappy second-rate team to change its name and song lyrics. It was tasteless in the 50's and it's even worse now, in the 21st Century. The only saving grace is that the racism is so dated and tacky that it almost seems "antique" or something. You almost don't notice.

So are you saying that your team is really named after potatoes? That would be the coolest thing I've heard all day.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Fight 4 Old DC":2kjhib55 said:
HansGruber":2kjhib55 said:

You really should do a little homework before spouting off......especially since he has so much history with your fair state. He was the son of a full blooded Sioux mother and German father. He played football at Carlisle Indian Industrial School and was a teammate of Jim Thorpe. He is still revered at Washington State where I believe he was the last coach to win a championship there.

Oh my bad.

Im sure the Sioux would have been proud watching one of their own, on that NFL sideline, wearing a headdress and face paint. Dietz himself said he hated it but he was probably lying. Tons of natives in the 1950s would have been proud to coach the last segregated nfl team while being forced to wear a headdress and face paint. Because that's what all Indians do. When they're not dancing with wolves.

Right?

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
Former Skins fan here. I grew up in Frederick, Maryland and got to see Theismann, Monk and Riggins stomp around the league. Then, in the early '90s, I lived in Atlanta when the city went absolutely berzerk over the Braves' rise to dominance. Infants were taught the Tomahawk Chop while still in the womb, etc. It was an amazing time that lasted for years. But when I moved out to Seattle in '97, I instantly became a Seahawks-Mariners fan. It was impossible not to. The fans up here in the northwest cheer like lunatics for their teams no matter the score or the weather. And the Seattle teams love their foaming mouth fans right back. It's not just the acoustics at the Clink, Skins fans, these people go out of their minds when it comes to sports. I've never seen anything like it.

Hoping for a violent, but injury free game. Both organizations are becoming powerhouses with their new star quarterbacks. I think we'll be seeing you guys again next year.

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
Shock2k":2buu1q3q said:
Just wondering how RG3/Morris/Lynch did rushing against the top 15 defenses.

That's a great chart. Lynch and Morris are virtually dead even. Nice.

Conrad87

Reaction score
Greetings to all,

Redskins fan here and I come in peace.
I’m not here to troll or to make asinine comments like “We’ll beat you because you guys suck…blah, blah, blah." I’m here because I’ve been reading your board all week and it simply puzzles me how arrogant and overconfident some here are about this weekend’s game. I mean, I’ve read comments like:

“You guys have No Shot.!”
“Our team is better than yours at every position”
“You won’t score more than 13 points on us”
“We’ll hang 50 on ya”

Really? I mean really….some speak as if the Seahawks are traveling across country to play the Maryland Terrapins this Sunday.
I get it, your team is very balanced, young, well put together, hungry, and playing exceptionally well right now.
But…...so are the Redskins. How can you rationally conclude that a professional team that has run off 7 consecutive victories and hosting a home playoff game has absolutely zero shot at winning number 8? I don’t care who that team has played. You can only play who they put in front of you.
And the statement that someone here made that “If the Redskins played in the NFCW they’d be 6-10 at best this season” seems very misguided. The NFC West was extremely top heavy this season.
49ers 11-4-1
Seahawks 11-5
Rams 7-8-1
Cardinals 5-11
While the argument could be made that the NFC East had more balance (albeit in a down year)
Redskins 10-6
Giants 9-7
Cowboys 8-8
Eagles 4-12

The only team in the division that absolutely sucked eggs was the Eagles. Somehow the Redskins finished with a 5-1 divisional record. Yes; 50% of the NFCW was very good (49ers and Seahawks). Whereas, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone objective who would claim that both the Giants and Cowboys (though inconsistent this year) completely sucked. So 75% of the NFCE was at least above average. (If it were not for the Redskins, both the Giants and the Cowboys would have finished 10-6).

Please don’t make this about our team mascot or fight song. I'm talking Football here. No, not EVERY Redskins fan is an idiot. Nor is every Redskins fan lacking in football knowledge. I can say with full confidence that I can discuss X’s and O’s with ANYONE. (I played 3 years division 1-AA ball and coach HS football). So please don’t try to tell me that schematically the Redskins have “No Shot”.
You guys have a very good team, not denial here. But this is the NFL; you just don’t win 7 straight without doing something right.

Am I saying with 100% certainty that the Redskins will win this weekend? No. But do I think we have a darn good chance? You bet I do.

BadGuy711

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":yjernsy5 said:
Fight 4 Old DC":yjernsy5 said:
HansGruber":yjernsy5 said:

So are you saying that your team is really named after potatoes? That would be the coolest thing I've heard all day.

Oh, the Potato! Redskins are versatile to cook with and have a well rounded texture and flavour profile. I love Redskins! Go Redskins!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Conrad87":32q31jqw said:
And the statement that someone here made that “If the Redskins played in the NFCW they’d be 6-10 at best this season” seems very misguided. The NFC West was extremely top heavy this season.
49ers 11-4-1
Seahawks 11-5
Rams 7-8-1
Cardinals 5-11
While the argument could be made that the NFC East had more balance (albeit in a down year)
Redskins 10-6
Giants 9-7
Cowboys 8-8
Eagles 4-12

The only team in the division that absolutely sucked eggs was the Eagles. Somehow the Redskins finished with a 5-1 divisional record. Yes; 50% of the NFCW was very good (49ers and Seahawks). Whereas, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone objective who would claim that both the Giants and Cowboys (though inconsistent this year) completely sucked. So 75% of the NFCE was at least above average. (If it were not for the Redskins, both the Giants and the Cowboys would have finished 10-6).

Come on now. Be consistent.

You call the Cowboys "at least above average" at 8-8, while the Rams don't rate that same status at 7-8-1? That one tie game was that crucial, eh? Our division's top team was 1.5 games better than your division winner. Our 2nd place team was 2 full games better than your 2nd place team. Our third place team is HALF a game back of your 3rd place team. And even our last place team was better than the NFC East's basement dweller. Our division went 3-1 against yours this year, as well.

While I don't agree that the Skins would have been "6-10" in our division, I do think they might have dropped a game or two more than they did, just based on the quality of defenses we have in the NFC West.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Shock2k":39k3yg5a said:
Just wondering how RG3/Morris/Lynch did rushing against the top 15 defenses.

Awesome. Good find.

Status
Not open for further replies.