The Skins/Hawks Match Up

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
I'm not a big trash talker. No worries on that front.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
ExtremeSkins is garbage, and they can all eat a bag of dicks.

That being said, good post OP. How many Seahawks games have you watched? You actually seem to have pretty good insight on the way this team operates. 3rd downs have been a bugaboo for us this year, the fanbase collectively can't understand why Trufant is out there on 3rd downs. We've been burned in the slot all year long.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
thebanjodude":zqo4q95i said:
That being said, good post OP. How many Seahawks games have you watched? You actually seem to have pretty good insight on the way this team operates. 3rd downs have been a bugaboo for us this year, the fanbase collectively can't understand why Trufant is out there on 3rd downs. We've been burned in the slot all year long.

All the national ones plus good chunks of the ones opposite the Skins games. I haven't watched many of them in full, but I've watched enough of them to get a good feel for the team. I'm a Redskin fan, but I also coach the game at the varsity level in HS. So I have appreciation for good football. And the Seahawks play it.

drastik

Reaction score
I'm a skins fan and I HATE extremeskins.

I've been "placed in timeout" multiple times by mods for simply disagreeing with their points.

They have a couple cool mods, but most of them are power hungry nerds who think that they are team insiders.

I recommend hogshaven.com or thehogs.net for any worthwhile information/discussion.

hawker84

Reaction score
TaterHawk":2mfdp6ic said:
Best matchup this year. Washington’s D is not very good simple as that. Seattle is a more balanced team overall (possibly the best in the league as far as all around balance) but young teams have issues on the road. Everything I’ve seen and what I know about both teams this one is a split 50/50. 10 games against each other (at Washington) would have these teams both .500. I see some edge Seattle and some edge to Washington. Both teams want to take away the run and force these QB’s to throw. Wilson is less likely to take risk when receivers are covered. RW3 will fire and pray, not a good idea with this group of DB’s. Seattle tends to get conservative (game management) on the road, where Washington will be more likely to take risk for some possible big plays. Seattle is exposed to the short passing game over the middle with the type of offense Washington runs (I smell some holding calls on Trufant, and our LB’s getting sucked up out of position). The QB most likely to press and make a rookie mistakes in this game…RW3. Wilson is the smartest QB as a rookie that I’ve ever seen. RW3 will press at times when he should go down or throw it away.

Looking down the road this is the game a fear most in all possible playoff matchups for Seattle

curious... if our offense and the redskins offense is equal, but our defense is better, how is it 50/50.. don't see that..

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Why do we care what the skins fans say on their site? Some people are looking for validation, don't hand it out. That was funny though..a bag of what :)

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Hawker 84

My consideration is for the hawks on the road..I'm still not 100% convinced they are over the hump on the road

drastik

Reaction score
TaterHawk":22s9yifj said:
Best matchup this year. Washington’s D is not very good simple as that. Seattle is a more balanced team overall (possibly the best in the league as far as all around balance) but young teams have issues on the road. Everything I’ve seen and what I know about both teams this one is a split 50/50. 10 games against each other (at Washington) would have these teams both .500. I see some edge Seattle and some edge to Washington. Both teams want to take away the run and force these QB’s to throw. Wilson is less likely to take risk when receivers are covered. RW3 will fire and pray, not a good idea with this group of DB’s. Seattle tends to get conservative (game management) on the road, where Washington will be more likely to take risk for some possible big plays. Seattle is exposed to the short passing game over the middle with the type of offense Washington runs (I smell some holding calls on Trufant, and our LB’s getting sucked up out of position). The QB most likely to press and make a rookie mistakes in this game…RW3. Wilson is the smartest QB as a rookie that I’ve ever seen. RW3 will press at times when he should go down or throw it away.

Looking down the road this is the game a fear most in all possible playoff matchups for Seattle
When you say RW3 are you referring to RG3 or Wilson?

If you're referring to RG3, you're analysis of him is very wrong, he has protected the ball better than any QB in the NFL.

This will be a fun game. Redskins have a top 5 offense, Seahawks have a top 5 defense.

Redskins have one of the worst defenses in the entire league, Seahawks have an offense ranked in the bottom half of the league.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
drastik

Sorry " RG3" I saw your boy try to force the ball into receivers many times in the Dallas game. Please have him continue to do that :)

drastik

Reaction score
TaterHawk":9q12crqp said:
drastik

Sorry " RG3" I saw your boy try to force the ball into receivers many times in the Dallas game. Please have him continue to do that :)
The Dallas game was RG3's worst game of his career, by far. I saw him miss some open guys and throw balls in the dirt, but I never saw balls that were "dangerous throws" in the fact that they were nearly (or could have been) interceptions.

RG3 has played 15 games and has 5 interceptions.. we can even throw in his 2 lost fumbles for a grand total of 7 turnovers in 15 games. To compare, Kirk Cousins has thrown 4 interceptions in 1 and 1/4th games this season.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I would disagree that Seattles offense is in the bottom half of the league. If you go by total yards, then yes, we're 17th. Middle of the pack. But total yards is not a good metric to judge an offense. There are too many other factors to consider. The special team play consistently gives us good field position, meaning we have less yards to traverse. The defense consistently gives us good field position, meaning the same.

Instead, I trust in DVOA from Football Outisders. It's a very intelligent metric IMO. Consider this: Does a 17th ranked offense rack up 150 points in three games, two vs top 10 defenses? No. But it came as only a mild surprise to DVOA followers, because the Hawks already were ranked as one of the top offenses in the league.

DVOA rankings for 2012 season:
Seattle offense 4th defense 4th special teams 3rd total team ranking 1st
Washington offense 6th defense 17th special teams 27th total team ranking 9th.

According to their metrics, Washingtons defense is not bottom of the barrel, but their special teams most definitely are. Seattle is a very good team on all sides of the ball. In the end, these are two top 10 teams and it's in Washingtons house. Seattle simply does not play as well on the road as at home, so I expect a very close game that could go either way.

hawker84

Reaction score
TaterHawk":2b5pg4bh said:
Hawker 84

My consideration is for the hawks on the road..I'm still not 100% convinced they are over the hump on the road

gottcha, i can understand that.. i hope we can finally get this road monkey of our back this year... tired of hearing about it .

hawker84

Reaction score
i will just say this to all skins fans visiting our board... i've said this to all our apponents, some listend some didn't but found out the hard way..

you can look at our road record you can look at RW's numbers, but what you need to understand is most of the losses came at the beginning of the season, when we were working in a rookie QB who was basically handcuffed for the first half of the season.. if you want a more accurate picture of our road abilities and RW's passing numbers look at the second half numbers.. because that's the level he and this team is operating now... am i saying we're going to win, no, the season numbers do not accurately depict this team... again some know what i'm talking about, some will find out sunday.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
hawker84":xtiqedwn said:
you can look at our road record you can look at RW's numbers, but what you need to understand is most of the losses came at the beginning of the season, when we were working in a rookie QB who was basically handcuffed for the first half of the season..

Absolutely. I completely understand that. Although, I don't believe it had as much to do with having a rookie quarterback as it did keeping the reigns on him until your coaching staff was more comfortable with him. Your team now is completely different. Look at both 49er games for proof. The second game your team had a totally different offensive identity. You guys are a dangerous, dangerous football team.

But also keep in mind that the same thing can be said for the 'Skins. We started 3-6 and we've reeled off seven straight wins to finish 10-6 and win the NFC East for the first time since 1999, and get into the playoffs for the first time since 2007 (which you guys knocked us out of... and in 2005...). And, that's with an injured RG3 the last two games and Kirk Cousins at the helm the game prior. We have a budding football team, but we're not perfect yet. I see weaknesses. Like I stated in the OP, our safeties are decent in run support and lackluster in coverage. That's a major issue. Our corners are either very good or very, very poor. That could be a major issue. Our front seven has been MUCH better these last seven games. OLBs Rob Jackson and Ryan Kerrigan have done a better job setting the job and generating a pass rush (although, our pass rush is still somewhat mediocre). Jackson can be had at times in the run game, and I'd imagine the Hawks will run some read option his way a few times. He was out of position on DeMarco Murray in a base offense, I can totally see him getting fooled by Wilson/Lynch. But he can also make some phenomenal plays in coverage, like slipping off his rush and picking off Romo to seal the game last Sunday night. London Fletcher is the defensive player of the month in the NFC and Perry Riley is a pretty solid tackler and a very good up and coming ILB. Barry Cofield at nose, Jarvis Jenkins and Stephen Bowen at end have played much better as of late, too.

And that's not even mentioning our offense with Garcon in the game or our 1600 yard rusher.

The Seattle Seahawks are hot. So hot, that I'd say they along with the Broncos may be the two best teams in football. Seattle as a whole, offense, defense and special teams is the most explosive team in football. I have no doubts on that. But the 'Skins offense is extremely explosive and the defense has flashes of absolute brilliance. Our coverage units on special teams are solid.

This is going to be a fun game to watch if you're a fan of football. And most of you guys seem to know the game very, very well.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Good post, OP. I personally don't have the experience with ExtremeSkins that some here do, so I'll just thank you for the informed discussion.

I am not too impressed by the opposition on which you've won seven straight. Romo, Eli, Flacco, Weeden, Eagles, meh. There is only one other QB who's got as much talent for evading pass rush, protecting the ball, and delivering bananas play-action fireworks like Russell Wilson does (and that other QB is playing for YOUR team). There's every sign that this could turn into a shootout.

And that's why I believe our defense will be the difference. It's not just the #1 scoring defense and #4 in DVOA, it's had some of its most spectacular plays against Carolina and San Francisco, offenses more similar to yours than dissimilar. You talk about our safeties, but our linebackers are playing great football right now. Bobby Wagner is the Earl Thomas of our LB's, speedy and reading the zone well, and doesn't miss a lot of tackles. KJ Wright has been blowing up screens left and right lately after a midseason dropoff; Frank Gore is probably still shaking the grass out of his ears. Our corners are known for doubling as great run defenders. And Chris Clemons, well, no defensive end in the league has gotten as many sacks as he has with less help from the rest of the D-line, and he's developed into a much better run-stopper every year. I hope Griffin plays smart and protects himself. He won't want to be taking as many hits from our D as Cam Newton did.

If your Skins have a lead in the fourth, watch for Wilson to come alive. Since college, the trends have screamed that he gets hottest in crunch time, and his rookie year is no exception. Best of luck Sunday.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":1kqxiihs said:
Greetings,

I am from Extremeskins.com.

Isn't that the site where the same eight "extreme" Redskins fans web stroke each other all day to banjo music and refuse to allow any remotely intelligent football conversation? Sorry dude, it's hard to take you seriously if you claim that garbage as where you're from.

OP
OP
K

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":295r96nh said:
KDawg_ES":295r96nh said:
Greetings,

I am from Extremeskins.com.

Isn't that the site where the same eight "extreme" Redskins fans web stroke each other all day to banjo music and refuse to allow any remotely intelligent football conversation? Sorry dude, it's hard to take you seriously if you claim that garbage as where you're from.

No, that's not the site. Or what happens on that site.

But you're entitled to your opinion, especially because I'm on your turf. But I am sorry that a few of our posters have ruined the forum for you. We have some outstanding people there. Apparently, the bad ones stuck out to you and that's unfortunate. I apologize on their behalf. But I am not them.

Sac

Reaction score
Damn KDawg, I really want to dislike you but you're just entirely too affable.

I hereby bestow upon you the title of "Worlds Most Reasonable Redskins Fan". Enjoy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
drastik":rj99lbob said:
TaterHawk":rj99lbob said:

When you say RW3 are you referring to RG3 or Wilson?

If you're referring to RG3, you're analysis of him is very wrong, he has protected the ball better than any QB in the NFL.

This will be a fun game. Redskins have a top 5 offense, Seahawks have a top 5 defense.

Redskins have one of the worst defenses in the entire league, Seahawks have an offense ranked in the bottom half of the league.

Don't let that stat about Seattle's offense fool you. Since PC and Bevell have taken the handcuffs off of Russell Wilson, it has been very dynamic, maybe more so than even the Redskins'.