Guaranteeing The Win.

Slick

Reaction score
drastik":1f8se6ft said:
Redskins fan here. Not trying to be a douche or anything so apologies now if my comments come off some unintended way.

One thing a lot of people are overlooking is that aside from Bobby Wagner, this is the same exact starting defense that got torched for 300+ yards by Sexy Rexy and 100+ yards by Roy Helu last season, in Seattle. Both of those guys are now 3rd stringers. Brandon Browner got abused that game by Anthony Armstrong (who was cut during training camp).

The point to that isn't to knock any players, or to bring up what happened a year ago; but to illustrate that personnel match-ups are only half the battle. Excellent coaching and gameplanning is the other. Kyle Shanahan will have a few tricks up his sleeve.

What I gather from this post is you guys really should start Sexy and Helu this game. Sit those other guys down. :sarcasm_off:

In all fairness, it will be a great game. I'm looking forward to that. Let things happen.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
drastik":226wtrrp said:
Redskins fan here. Not trying to be a douche or anything so apologies now if my comments come off some unintended way.

One thing a lot of people are overlooking is that aside from Bobby Wagner, this is the same exact starting defense that got torched for 300+ yards by Sexy Rexy and 100+ yards by Roy Helu last season, in Seattle. Both of those guys are now 3rd stringers. Brandon Browner got abused that game by Anthony Armstrong (who was cut during training camp).

The point to that isn't to knock any players, or to bring up what happened a year ago; but to illustrate that personnel match-ups are only half the battle. Excellent coaching and gameplanning is the other. Kyle Shanahan will have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Grossman had a bulk of those yards in the 4th as did Helu..

The defense would constantly break down at the end of games last year because of a putrid offense - in large part because of QB play. Our offense is night and day from last seasons.

Again.. the 2011 team is nothing compared to this years. Just like the Redskins team is different. Throw that game away because it really means nothing.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
drastik":2knb7xoz said:

'Skins fans are really reaching. This defense dropped 4 points per game off its ppg allowed. They also moved up 5 spots to #4 in yards allowed. 1 more year makes a huge difference, and, as Hasselbeck mentioned, they now have an offense which can win games (letting them play more aggressively.)

OP
OP
R

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1l6u8ojn said:
drastik":1l6u8ojn said:

The defense would constantly break down at the end of games last year because of a putrid offense - in large part because of QB play. Our offense is night and day from last seasons.

Again.. the 2011 team is nothing compared to this years. Just like the Redskins team is different. Throw that game away because it really means nothing.

If I recall correctly, we had a 10 minute drive to open the game to get our first TD. After that we stalled though (at least point wise) until the 4th quarter.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
This is not last year!

"The thing that bothers me the most about idiot Skins fans is that they are stuck in the past." Skinsfan46

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Of all the concerns I can think up about this game, last year's game rates alongside "Winston Guy might get food poisoning from dinner the night before the game" in terms of importance.

drastik

Reaction score
The point flew over a couple folks heads... my bad.

The point is not about who won the game, or what happened last year. The point is don't look too hard in personnel matchups, coaches get paid also.

On paper, a secondary and LB core as that of the Seahawks should be able to dominate players on the level of Rex Grossman, Anthony Armstrong, Jabar Gaffney etc.... but good coaching can make up for deficiencies.

The Redskins have been decimated by injuries this season, they have no business being in the playoffs. Yet, outstanding coaching on both offense and defense has them on a 7 game winning streak and in the playoffs for the first time in 4 seasons. Again, the only point to my comments is that personnel match-ups are only half the battle.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
How is anyone here supposed to "back it up on the field?"

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Here is the main reason I think we are going to win this Sunday!

THIS year, the Washington Redskins have failed to beat a team other then Philly that has had a Top 15 rated Defense. And Philly was #15...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":1fr0qvhs said:
Hasselbeck":1fr0qvhs said:
drastik":1fr0qvhs said:

If I recall correctly, we had a 10 minute drive to open the game to get our first TD. After that we stalled though (at least point wise) until the 4th quarter.

It was 17-6 going into the 4th..

Unless I missed the memo that Grossman and Tarvaris Jackson are starting Sunday, this is really a meaningless stat. The Redskins and Seahawks also were 3-0 against the Giants last year. What does that mean? About as much as a 4-6 team losing to a 3-7 team in November of 2011.

hawker84

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":2uw9ntd7 said:
hawker84":2uw9ntd7 said:
doesn't matter what Shanahan does, he cannot prepare his team enough, the only thing you guys compare to us in, and have a slight edge in my opinion, is the passing game, RG3 is legit and you have some dangerous weapons at reciever, you have a good back as well, but the difference there is , we have the D to slow him down, i don't see anyone on your team that can contain Lynch.. if what's his face from dallas can gash you guys, what do you think lynch and turbin is gonna do let alone RW... you think Fletcher is going to walk down RW like he did Romo all night.. here's why we win..

QB's = push
RB = slight edge to lynch , but not much
recievers = i think skins have the better playmakers , but seattle squad is no slouch either
O line = edge to Skins in pass blocking, push in run blocking
D line = edge to Hawks
line backers = big edge to hawks
secondary = no need to go there

our offense can match yours score for score if needed.. problem you have is , your D is mediocre, our's wins games or keeps us in the game and give us a chance to win, every game. if we get in a shoot out, we have a chance, if it comes down to a defensive low scoring battle, skins lose

Murray put up 70 odd yards on us...would hardly call that a gashing. Plus they have more weapons in the passing game than the Seahawks do so our attention was likely focused there.
murry was a non factor in our game.. and you're telling me Romo and Dallas have a better passing attack than us. Mr. float one out to a slow ass linebacker ? please Romo and passing = fail

hawker84

Reaction score
Riggo, i appreciate you coming on here talking some football, but to bring in comparisons to Dallas, and how you beat us last year , just holds no water.. there is no comparisons in those examples... We are nowhere near the same team as last year, nor is Washington.. And Dallas is nowhere near a strong a team as the seahawks in any phase of the game,... They have bryant and Whitten, that is it....

i have the upmost respspect for Bob Griffin and your running back, great young players to build around for sure.. but as i stated before, your defense is not in the same class as the seahawks, top to bottom, D line looked good last game, but again it was Romo back there not RW... our defense will need to show up sunday for us to have a chance , i'll give you that, but if they do, redskins don't have a shot.. JMHO... i expect a good hard fought game none the less.

drastik

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":2j93qyv7 said:
Here is the main reason I think we are going to win this Sunday!

THIS year, the Washington Redskins have failed to beat a team other then Philly that has had a Top 15 rated Defense. And Philly was #15...
You are correct, the Redskins have played 6 games against defenses that finished top 15 in defense. Philly x2, Carolina, Cinci, Pitt, St. Louis.

The only team that the Redskins beat was Philly twice, all the other games resulted in losses.

It can be assumed that the Redskins struggle against top defenses.

Here are the points scored the Redskins scored in each of those games:

Rams - 28
Bengals - 31
Steelers - 12
Panthers - 13
Eagles - 31
Eagles - 27

The only teams that kept the Redskins in check on offense all year were the Panthers and Steelers. In every other game, the Redskins still scored points. There were no garbage time points either, the Redskins were beating both the Rams and Bengals in the 4th quarter before those teams came back and won.

The Redskins also played Minnesota and Baltimore (ranked #16 and #17) and scored 38 and 31 points respectively.

Robert Griffin has had 3 "rookie-quality" games in his career: Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Dallas. Luckily, Alf carried the team against Dallas in week 17. The Redskins havn't lost since they played Carolina and Pitt back2back before the bye week.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
drastik":2b0q6pj6 said:
The point flew over a couple folks heads... my bad.

The point is not about who won the game, or what happened last year. The point is don't look too hard in personnel matchups, coaches get paid also.

On paper, a secondary and LB core as that of the Seahawks should be able to dominate players on the level of Rex Grossman, Anthony Armstrong, Jabar Gaffney etc.... but good coaching can make up for deficiencies.

The Redskins have been decimated by injuries this season, they have no business being in the playoffs. Yet, outstanding coaching on both offense and defense has them on a 7 game winning streak and in the playoffs for the first time in 4 seasons. Again, the only point to my comments is that personnel match-ups are only half the battle.

So your point gets called out for being weak, so now you're changing it from the Seahawks defensive personnel being mostly similar to last year to some nonsense about coaches? Give me a break.

Apparently a key point is flying over your head as well, bro. You talk about how the Hawks' defense is the exact same except for Bobby Wagner. Do you have any idea just how young this Seahawks team is? The defense specifically? You trying to say that players reach their full potential in year 1 or 2? The Hawks have the 2nd youngest defense in the league. I think it's safe to say a unit improves as it grows together and players reach their full potential.

drastik

Reaction score
@SeaTown81

I stated in my initial comments what my point was. I just made it clearer in my 2nd post.

drastik

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2j7aczvl said:
drastik":2j7aczvl said:
@SeaTown81

I stated in my initial comments what my point was. I just made it clearer in my 2nd post.

It remained wrong both ways.
So, you're saying that I'm wrong with my point that coaching/gameplanning plays an important role in the outcome of a game?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
drastik":10gol357 said:
@SeaTown81

Ok, I see that now. Glossed over it initially (due to how wrong and stupid the comments about the Hawks defense were). Point taken. I take back my comments about changing your stance. Mea culpa.

Still horribly wrong though. ;)

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
I see your point drastik but... The weeks you scored so many points on the Rams and Cinci, they were still trying to figure out RGIII and how he plays because it was the begining of the season. and at the end of the season when the Skins won all the games it was against IMHO mediocore compition. With the exception of Baltimore.

The last 7 games and thier end of the year standings
Philly 4 - 12
Dallas – 8 - 8
NY Giants – 9-7
Baltimore – 10 - 6
Browns - 5 – 11
Philly – 4 - 12
Dallas – 8 – 8

LargentFan

Reaction score
I love how fans of opposing teams try to persuade opposing fans to their points of view. It's amusing to me.
As far as this game goes, I don't really fear anything about the Redskins. Their offense has some great pieces, but in general, great defenses neutralize great offenses, and while the skins have a GOOD offense, I wouldn't call it great.
On the other side of the ball, Seattle has a good offense, certainly not great, but the skins have a very suspect defense.
As other posters have said, I think this game will come down to Seattle's defense. If they show up and play well, the game is almost certainly ours.
I will say, though, that the combo of Griffin and Morris, 2 of the top 5 offensive rookies to come into the league this year, is an interesting puzzle to solve. Luckily, we have 4 good games to look at where opponents held them to under 20 points. I think Seattle's defensive unit/staff is up to the task.