Andy Reid to Arizona (not confirmed)

BASF

Reaction score
For a team that has a huge issue with protecting the QB to hire a coach that has a very long history of his QB's getting injured almost every season doesn't make much sense to me. Reid has a good history of working with QB's which is fine, but the Eagles haven't had a good offensive line in years. If I was a Cardinals fan, I'd be very lukewarm on the hire until I found out who he was bringing in as the offensive line coach. I still think that bringing in Chip Kelly to contend with the former Pac 10 dominant coaches would make more sense.

ensett

Reaction score
Cardinals should have kept their coaches and went after some Oline, much easier, and painfully obvious that its their problem. Have they EVER had a good oline in their entire history?

kearly

Reaction score
I really liked Holmgren's / Heckert's drafts the last 3 years in Cleveland (Weeden exempted). They drafted a lot of players I felt were sleepers and they transformed that defense into a group that was young and talented. They made some good moves on offense too. Too bad the QB position royally screwed it all up for them. Which is pretty ironic given Holmgren's track record.

peachesenregalia":p34s6vko said:
Like Pehawk said, if this was 2006, I'd be worried. Reid is no longer an effective head coach.

I'm actually really sad for that franchise and their fans. The squad of players Reid had at his disposal the last 2 seasons should have easily been good enough to win at least one superbowl. He missed the playoffs both times with them. He's just not that good. In my opinion, he would have been better of taking an OC position somewhere.

What about the 12 seasons he had before those last two? Reid has had a terrific career as a coach, he's just down on his luck right now. Same thing was true with Jeff Fisher. Otherwise, coaches like that would never be available.

If Reid were available three years sooner we all would have been thrilled to get him when Seattle was replacing Mora/Ruskell. Obviously we are extremely well off right now with PCJS, just saying our mentality at the time- we would have been stoked for a hire like that.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
My guess is that Andy Reid is still a hell of a coach. I think the message gets a little bit stale after a decade in one place, which i'm guessing was the problem in Philly. I would bet that he'll do a great job wherever his next destination is.

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe, but it's a great gamble to take, IMO.

rlkats

Reaction score
One problem is Old Andy is a good coach and if he get lucky and stumbles on a good QB. They will be very good. Defense is good, great reciever and good 2nd in Floyd they could be scary.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ebd8fan said:
Or maybe he's going to the Chiefs instead. If he goes to Kansas City, he's a fool.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88090 ... fs-sources

Why's that?

If KC will give him personnel control, he gets a relatively weak division in a relatively weak conference (which should make turning a team around easier), the #1 overall draft pick, and a better owner situation.

Certainly a better scenario than going to Arizona where he'll be in a dogfight with 3 strong-to-dominant teams for the foreseeable future while he's trying to rebuild.

HawkGA

Reaction score
volsunghawk":okxd6uv3 said:
HawkGA":okxd6uv3 said:
Or maybe he's going to the Chiefs instead. If he goes to Kansas City, he's a fool.

Why's that?

If KC will give him personnel control, he gets a relatively weak division in a relatively weak conference (which should make turning a team around easier), the #1 overall draft pick, and a better owner situation.

Certainly a better scenario than going to Arizona where he'll be in a dogfight with 3 strong-to-dominant teams for the foreseeable future while he's trying to rebuild.

That's a fair point about the divisions. I just think Arizona is closer to being a good team than KC. But being a good team and being competitive in your division are two different things.

Still, I've been to Phoenix and I've driven through KC. I'd take Phoenix in a heartbeat!

** Edit **
Of course Reid looks like the kind of guy who might appreciate some good BBQ so maybe KC wouldn't be such a bad choice.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HawkGA":2jbsl96s said:
volsunghawk":2jbsl96s said:
HawkGA":2jbsl96s said:

Why's that?

That's a fair point about the divisions. I just think Arizona is closer to being a good team than KC. But being a good team and being competitive in your division are two different things.

Still, I've been to Phoenix and I've driven through KC. I'd take Phoenix in a heartbeat!

** Edit **
Of course Reid looks like the kind of guy who might appreciate some good BBQ so maybe KC wouldn't be such a bad choice.

On the opposite side of the city thing, Kansas City would appreciate Reid far more than Arizona would if he started winning for them.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":qhixj0yj said:
On the opposite side of the city thing, Kansas City would appreciate Reid far more than Arizona would if he started winning for them.

Along those same lines, Phoenix may be a little easier to handle if he doesn't turn things around. He might need that after coming out of Philly.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HawkGA":32trq99b said:
Sarlacc83":32trq99b said:

Along those same lines, Phoenix may be a little easier to handle if he doesn't turn things around. He might need that after coming out of Philly.

Meh, both cities are conditioned to losing at this point. :thirishdrinkers:

ivotuk

Reaction score
A good team, amazing running game, something that isn't Andy's strength. Maybe Dwayne Bowe, Tamba Hali, 1st overall pick and I bet he goes with Geno Smith because of his size and athleticism. Excellent choice for Andy. Kansas City actually has a history of being a fairly good team and was one of Seattle's bugaboos when still in the AFC West.

KC is a great city with a lot of history, good weather and other sports franchises that have had success in the past. Much better choice than San Diego who has an "elderly" QB, average defense and holes at WR and RB. I'll lay odds that Andy is above .500 his first year there. Most likely 9-7 or 10-6.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Now there's a match made in heaven. Didn't Heckert make the decision to draft Brandon Weeden? If so, uh, yeah..... Please come to Arizona. PLEASE!

soohawk

Reaction score
Arrowhead is a very good home field advantage too

do the chiefs switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 for andy reid? he isn't a defensive minded coach but he has had someone (jonhson/mcdermott/castillo) run that defensive alignment for him for a long time.

Dwayne bowe is going to floorish, baldwin too. Jamaal Charles should help andy remember to run the ball a bit too :)

* it would be kind of funny if andy goes to kc and kicks s.d's ass x2 a year after they told him they wanted to go in another direction once it was known he was interested in coaching down there near his hometown of L.A.