Big Hits

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Big Hits
Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm
  • Should there be instant replay on big hits?

Like how basketball with Flagrant foul?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Re: Big Hits
Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm
  • Good question. I'll call goodell right now.
    Russell Wilson doesn't do losing anymore -peachesenregalia, jan 5, 2013
    seahawksfanatic000
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm
  • No. There's enough breaks in the action as is.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:No. There's enough breaks in the action as is.

So when Kam hit VD, you're ok with the flag?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 pm
  • Carmon1274 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:No. There's enough breaks in the action as is.

It was a bad call. But there's 100's of missed calls on holds, block in the backs, and everything else every season too. Are we going to stop the game and review those?

There's a human element to officiating, and i'm perfectly fine with that.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 pm
  • I'd be good with it. Not like there's big hits every play, so it will really slow things up.

To compensate, put less commercials in. Problem solved.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Anyone else once think they would like instant replay, but have suddenly become annoyed when they see a coach throw a red flag to challenge a spot.

Only instant replay I like is the automatic replays on scores. Everything else seems to take to much time.

Funny Pete Carroll on Brock and Salk was asked the same question about the Vernon Davis hit by Kam, he was completely against any more instant replay additions.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:

It was a bad call. But there's 100's of missed calls on holds, block in the backs, and everything else every season too. Are we going to stop the game and review those?

There's a human element to officiating, and i'm perfectly fine with that.

When Kam said that they should be reviewable, I agree that it should be because if we're talking about player safety, NFL wants people non-helmet to helmet hits and good tackling. Refs can't see some hits in fast motion. They need to go look at a camera and see where contact was made and what part of the body did they use.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 pm
  • Since the NFL is changing the game to eliminate certain types of hits and to ensure the game is not made into a flag football league then I think they will have to have a review process of hits like Chancellor's on Davis. If they don't, then legal hits will be flagged as fouls and slowly players will begin to hold back. In fact later on in the SF Chancellor pulled back when he had a chance to lay a big hit. So I am all for a review process.

The NFL should follow what the NHL does and have a central location do all reviews instead of having the game ref do it. That could save some time maybe.
    dukestar
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm
  • dukestar wrote:Since the NFL is changing the game to eliminate certain types of hits and to ensure the game is not made into a flag football league then I think they will have to have a review process of hits like Chancellor's on Davis. If they don't, then legal hits will be flagged as fouls and slowly players will begin to hold back. In fact later on in the SF Chancellor pulled back when he had a chance to lay a big hit. So I am all for a review process.

The NFL should follow what the NHL does and have a central location do all reviews instead of having the game ref do it. That could save some time maybe.

The games are now already being stretched to allow more and more TV commercials....ie. there is more commercial time than playing time. Adding more time for reviews will further degrade the product....NFL football.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    dukestar wrote:Since the NFL is changing the game to eliminate certain types of hits and to ensure the game is not made into a flag football league then I think they will have to have a review process of hits like Chancellor's on Davis. If they don't, then legal hits will be flagged as fouls and slowly players will begin to hold back. In fact later on in the SF Chancellor pulled back when he had a chance to lay a big hit. So I am all for a review process.

The games are now already being stretched to allow more and more TV commercials....ie. there is more commercial time than playing time. Adding more time for reviews will further degrade the product....NFL football.

How many big hits do you see in the game? Sometimes when players score TD, and when it's automatic reviewed, it takes about 15 seconds if its a easy call.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 am
  • coaches should be able to challenge defenseless receiver penalties if officials are told to throw a flag when in doubt.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 am
  • They should just include penalties as something reviewable, you still only get two and it takes a time out if your'e wrong
    Refs make mistakes all the time
    twelfman
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:06 am
  • twelfman wrote:They should just include penalties as something reviewable, you still only get two and it takes a time out if your'e wrong<BR nodeIndex="1">Refs make mistakes all the time

Only 15 yard penalties and pass interference penalties.

The problem with that though is could you challenge non-calls of penalties?
    I say no to that.

Basically that means you can challenge something you thought the ref got wrong, but not something they missed.

So if Kam goes in with a hit like that and it's not called but in fact it WAS helmet to helmet, then you can't challenge that, but seeing as the penalty has already stopped the game, why not challenge it.

Think how different the green bay game would have been - Carroll could have challenged the bull**** flag for PI on Kam, but then again Wilson also threw an interception that was wiped out by a roughing the passer call (though one that although I think was a soft penalty, isn't one that would be likely to be overturned).
    Likewise I think we had a DPI that was probably more OPI by Rice. These are all calls that changed that game and brought about a final play when we should never have been in that situation
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 am
  • If they're going to have personal foul flags on a hair trigger, then I definately think they should be reviewable. However, I totally HATE the current instant replay/challenge system. It's a joke. It basically sayt that officials are only going to make 2 bad calls per game, and you have to guess correctly which ones they are (and if you guess wrong you're punnished with losing a time out). It's BS. All calls (and non-calls) should be reviewed upstairs by a video replay official with equal authority to the head ref and overturned as required.

Isn't that what they do in NCAA? I haven't noticed any instant replay issues causing an unacceptable amount of delays in college games...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:No. There's enough breaks in the action as is.

i understand what you're saying, delaying games even more to review.. but something has to be done... not only are costly wrong penalties being called, but it's effecting the way the safties are now playing.. much more timid, and scared to lay a hit, therefore the recievers are not as worried going over the middle.. cause and effect in a negative way IMO.. this rule has to be examined in the off season.

Prime time said it best.. " it's impossible to play saftey in the NFL these days... how are these players defenseless? they have on helmets and pads don't they"? and old school perspective, but one i agree with.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:00 am
  • hawker84 wrote:

i understand what you're saying, delaying games even more to review.. but something has to be done... not only are costly wrong penalties being called, but it's effecting the way the safties are now playing.. much more timid, and scared to lay a hit, therefore the recievers are not as worried going over the middle.. cause and effect in a negative way IMO.. this rule has to be examined in the off season. hell i'd be fine with just paying the players more so they can afford the penalties, as long as the bad calls went both ways... ( not really )

The delay comes from having the head ref have to run over to that stupid little booth on the sideline and review the call himself. Half the time they won't overturn because they made the call themselves (ego). If it was a replay official upstairs revieweing the calls with the authority to overturn the call on the field, it'd go much faster and player safety would be upheld.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm
  • D PI should be changed immedietly.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm
  • I think when it comes to big hits they need to make sure they witness something obviously illegal before throwing a flag, then they will look at it later and fine the player if it was indeed an illegal hit.

Seems like now they go the other way. any time a receiver takes a shot, there's a flag. its ridiculous.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm
  • Pete doesn't want it. He still doesn't like instant reply in general. I believe he mentioned this on Brock and Salk recently.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information