I Hate (Love) Russell Wilson - from a Redskin fan

silvergun

Reaction score
There's a great article over at Hogs Heaven at SBNation about RW and how he was tearing it up in his high school days.

From the moment I stepped foot on the campus of Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia (huh? Exactly) as a 16 year old competing for a roster spot on the legendary Blue Devil football team, the name Russell Wilson was branded into my psyche.

Somewhat of a mythical being at that point - Wilson was the star quarterback, point guard and pitcher of our main athletic rival, Collegiate School in Richmond, Virginia - the quintessential exclusive prep school that served as a perfect foil to the convict-like perception of Fork Union. In the bizarre-o world of "high-stakes" prep football in Virginia, every detail about your opponent is known (or made up). I was led to believe by my future teammates that not only was Russell Wilson 100% Cherokee Indian, but that he was also 100% Hindu and that aided him in being an agile quarterback (think Dhalsim from Street Fighter). We watched game tape of him in complete, stunned silence-- though I may be the only person who will admit that.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/1/2/3827846/i-hate-love-russell-wilson

Joey13091

Reaction score
That's a pretty good read. Wilson is probably my favorite player as of now. I never hear anything bad about this guy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Awesome story. Very well-written. Kind of gave me butterflies. Weird!

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Read the comments at the bottom--he beats all hell out of an opposing baseball team for his whole high school career, then personally goes and shakes the hand of every opposing player, thanking them for the memories.

This kid is unbelievable!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Outstanding read! I had wanted to know more of his history ever since we drafted him (Can't wait to discover more).

It doesn't surprise me he was a point guard, as well. I bet there's a handful of stories of him taking game winning shots throughout his youth career. He'd be that kind of player.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I wanted to post this over here, such a sensational article. There's a gem in the comments section as well:

You'll find it as the one comment marked in green in the comments section.

Similar experience here

Played against Wilson in baseball and football for four years. He shredded us every time. Thing is though after his last baseball game against us (Norfolk Academy) he came over to our bench and shook every one of our hands and thanked us for the good times the past half decade. He single handedly knocked us put of the playoffs in both sports that year and I still want the guy to win a Super Bowl, not this one of course, but some other one.

Veilside

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":19sjvrko said:
Read the comments at the bottom--he beats all hell out of an opposing baseball team for his whole high school career, then personally goes and shakes the hand of every opposing player, thanking them for the memories.

This kid is unbelievable!

Yeah I was gonna post that comment before I saw your post. Ah hell, I still will so people can see it, since it's that good.

"Played against Wilson in baseball and football for four years. He shredded us every time. Thing is though after his last baseball game against us (Norfolk Academy) he came over to our bench and shook every one of our hands and thanked us for the good times the past half decade. He single handedly knocked us put of the playoffs in both sports that year and I still want the guy to win a Super Bowl, not this one of course, but some other one"

kearly

Reaction score
Dhalsim was actually one of the slowest characters in video game history. Still liked the reference though.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Excellent piece, was just about to post it but of course, it's already up here.

Russell has spoken about how his father always taught him how to be and act like a professional, all the time. You can see the imprint that has left on Russell with his father's passing. His father would be very proud right now. All these stories, all the team's he's played for, opponents he's played against... they all have nothing but glowing things to say about Russell. That seriously makes me proud as a Seahawks fan, to know that the leader of our team is a trailblazer on and off the field. An ambassador not only to the game but to life itself.

Here's hoping he breaks the writer's heart just one more time!

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Rose City Hawk":1zeqkwip said:
Hawk Haole":1zeqkwip said:
There is going to be a movie about this guy some day.

I was thinking this exact thought the other day. Kid is going to be legendary, hell he already is as a rookie.
Nahh...real life is WAY better than any movie they could make!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
And he is the QB of the Seattle Seahawks. JS/PC got him in the 3rd round and there is no doubt he was a steal at any point in the draft.

This guy is making some serious believers out of people and he has played all of 16 games. It is like what Tebowmania would have been if Tebow was actually a QB.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
kearly":2qbknwrc said:
Dhalsim was actually one of the slowest characters in video game history. Still liked the reference though.

lol

I did the "Wait, what?" thing when I read that too.

Nobody ever played with Dhalsim, he was slow as hell.