How Will This Team Fair Against The Redskins Offense?

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
rideaducati":1kmbyitq said:
I love it when opposing fans pay close attention to the Seahawk losses from this year while at the same time dismissing the wins Seattle has. With 5 wins in 6 tries against teams with 10 or more wins this year, Seattle has shown it can beat ANYONE. The redskins have played three games against teams with at least 10 wins...they have lost two of those games. Their only quality win came against the Vikings. Seahawks should win this game. They are the better team.

You cant be talking about my post because my post specifically said your team had more impressive victories. But they had bad losses as well. Everything has bad losses though.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Looking at the Redskins schedule, I don't see a "different team" in the second half of the season. I see a team that was feeding off the bottom of the pool in the late half of the season. Cleveland, Philly, the Giants and Cowboys. Skins are a team with NO defense. Look at the points they give up to even remotely decent teams. They win by outscoring their opponent and when their opponent is any good at all, they lose. They started out 3-6 for a reason: that was the tough part of their schedule. Losses to the decent teams this year.

Looking over DVOA rankings for the year, the Giants were actually a decent team. Skins won at home by 1pt. But they won. They beat Baltimore, but Baltimore was slumping. they gave up 31 points to the LAMBS. They gave up 38 to Cincinatti. Those are two below average offenses.

Then you look at their offense and they racked up 28 on that Lambs 7th ranked defense. They racked up 31 against the Bengals 10th rated defense. Both those games came early in the season when their read option was new and there was no film on Griffin. Here's the defenses that Skins offense has faced according to DVOA:

Opponent Defensive rank result with score
@ NO...............32nd........ win 40-32
@ St. L.............7th..........loss 31-28
Cinci.................10th.......... loss 38-31
@ TB.................20th..........win 24-22
Atlanta..............12th..........loss 24-17
Minnesota.........21st ..........win 38-26
@ Giants...........16th..........loss 27-23
@ Pittsburgh.....13th.......... loss 27-12
Carolina............11th..........loss 21-13
Philly................26th..........win 31-6
@ Dallas...........23rd.......... win 38-31
Giants...............16th.......... win 17-16
Baltimore..........19th .......... win 31-28 OT
@ Cleveland......22nd ..........win 38-21
@ Philly............26th..........win 27-20
Dallas...............23rd.......... win 28-18

Once I color coded it (bottom 16 defenses/scored 27+ = green) the whole pattern became crystal clear. You throw out the first four weeks as an anamoly because of the newness of their offense. Thus the Rams and Cincy having top 16 defenses that the Skins racked up points on. Oddly, this also tosses out the TB game where a bottom defense kept the Skins under 27. I chose 27 as the cutoff point because that's what the Skins averaged per game.

It's pretty obvious that once the opposing defenses knew what they were up against, the Skins scoring went down when they were up against good defenses. Be they away or home games, the Skins offense will not blow out a good defense. The Skins winning streak is coterminous with the defensive crappyness of their late season scheduled opponents.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
Atlanta..............12th..........loss 24-17 <-RG3 missed a half
@ Pittsburgh.....13th.......... loss 27-12 <- WR's dropped two sure TD passes right in there hands and 10 dropps in total
Carolina............11th..........loss 21-13 <- Bad loss, everyteam has them
Philly................26th..........win 31-6 <-Good teams beat bad teams
@ Dallas...........23rd.......... win 38-31 <-Classic rivalry. Cowboys skins games are almost always down to the wire regardless of talent
Giants...............16th.......... win 17-16 <-Giants are a tough team. They beat 49ers and destroyed the Packers
@ Cleveland......22nd ..........win 38-21 <-Good teams beat bad teams
@ Philly............26th..........win 27-20 <-Good teams beat bad teams - RG3 first game back from knee injury

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":3cfsutpr said:
@ Pittsburgh.....13th.......... loss 27-12 <- WR's dropped two sure TD passes right in there hands and 10 dropps in total
@ Dallas...........23rd.......... win 38-31 <-Classic rivalry. Cowboys skins games are almost always down to the wire regardless of talent
Giants...............16th.......... win 17-16 <-Giants are a tough team. They beat 49ers and destroyed the Packers
@ Philly............26th..........win 27-20 <-Good teams beat bad teams - RG3 first game back from knee injury
I don't know how to say this any clearer...

You're wrong... and we're right. :1:

And any attempt to convince us otherwise is futile.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Bottom line is, after week 4, the Skins have averaged only 16.5 pts per game vs defenses ranked in the top 16 DVOA. At home vs top ranked defenses, they have averaged only 15.7 pts per game.

The question of this thread is: How will this team fare against the Washington Offense? I think we won't let them break 20 points. Allowing 17 points would be above average. Holding them to 13-16 points is what we should expect.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":fyrjse3t said:
rdskns4eva":fyrjse3t said:
I don't know how to say this any clearer...

You're wrong... and we're right. :1:

And any attempt to convince us otherwise is futile.

LOL

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":hdnr0f87 said:
Bottom line is, after week 4, the Skins have averaged only 16.5 pts per game vs defenses ranked in the top 16 DVOA. At home vs top ranked defenses, they have averaged only 15.7 pts per game.

The question of this thread is: How will this team fare against the Washington Offense? I think we won't let them break 20 points. Allowing 17 points would be above average. Holding them to 13-16 points is what we should expect.

Here we go with these "advanced metrics". The same "advanced metrics" that said that Alfred Morris, a 1600 yard back was overrated.

All I know is that the Redskins are top 5 is scoring and are averaging 25 points per game at home. Thats all that matters to me.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":26bdpnyf said:
Here we go with these "advanced metrics". The same "advanced metrics" that said that Alfred Morris, a 1600 yard back was overrated.

All I know is that the Redskins are top 5 is scoring and are averaging 25 points per game at home. Thats all that matters to me.

So...you bash metrics, then use them to defend your home performance? Ok, then...

drdiags

Reaction score
Last year the Skins were able to bait Browner late in the game to give up the winning score. Helu ran over them with ease and Davis took advantage of our LBs. Browner may not start, depends on his conditioning, but he still can be baited. Morris should be able to provide more than Helu. I think Davis is hurt, not sure. I saw on the telecast that another TE was starting in his place.

So the question is whether Wagner's youth/speed is better than Heater and has the secondary's experience grown enough that Shanahan will not be able to bait Browner. RGIII obviously is a huge step up from Grossman and Garcon is a huge asset as well.

I think you have to consider the notion that the Seahawks will be giving up more than their season average. If teams were able to coax a Miami and Detroit performance out of the defense, they can do it again. But that was so far in the past, the team has moved beyond that. Right?

LuvMySkins

Reaction score
drdiags":10s8htdz said:
Last year the Skins were able to bait Browner late in the game to give up the winning score. Helu ran over them with ease and Davis took advantage of our LBs. Browner may not start, depends on his conditioning, but he still can be baited. Morris should be able to provide more than Helu. I think Davis is hurt, not sure. I saw on the telecast that another TE was starting in his place.
Yes Davis has been out on IR with a torn achilles since week 7.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ytu40rb4 said:
rdskns4eva":ytu40rb4 said:

So...you bash metrics, then use them to defend your home performance? Ok, then...

Negative. Advanced metrics are garbage. It's the whoe reason that sports writers are saying that Luck is rookie of the year because his "advanced metrics" are better than RG3 and RW.

Same thing is baseball. One dude is triple crown winner and people seriously were saying that Mike Trout was the best player in Baseball because of "advanced metrics". Get that crap out of here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Uh, what? Show me advanced metrics that show Luck is better than RG3 and RW.

The best advanced metrics in the world (Football Outsiders) tell a different story: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Media pundits are still all over Luck's jock because they anointed him the savior of the NFL before he was even drafted, and "they can't be wrong, now". Idiots, by and large. Most metrics I've seen have Luck ranking poorly, as they are in this one. Passing yards is the only thing he has going for him this year.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":336sqtzs said:

The best advanced metrics in the world (Football Outsiders) tell a different story: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Media pundits are still all over Luck's jock because they anointed him the savior of the NFL before he was even drafted, and "they can't be wrong, now". Idiots, by and large. Most metrics I've seen have Luck ranking poorly, as they are in this one. Passing yards is the only thing he has going for him this year.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/luck-vs-griffin-a-statistical-comparison/
This was when RG3 was clearly outperforming Luck, but advanced metrics said otherwise.

Shock2k

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":3nvdtr8d said:
RolandDeschain":3nvdtr8d said:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/luck-vs-griffin-a-statistical-comparison/
This was when RG3 was clearly outperforming Luck, but advanced metrics said otherwise.

That's why I like DVOA. Luck is playing against the weakest division in the league with the weakest strength of schedule (and one of the weakest strength of victory %).

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32sprmeb said:

lol these metrics are garbage as well. They have Staffard and Tony Oh-No as better than RG3 AND RW. Not worth reading.

Again, advanced Metrics are garbage. I go by eye test. Thats all I need to see.

All Stafford does it chuck the ball up to Megatron. Yards are meaniless in todays game. It used to be 4000 yards passing was a great season. Now every QB is throwing for 4k and some are pushing for 5k every year.
Romo, Brees, Stafford. All three top 3 in passing yards, all three not in the playoffs.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":2gyywwjq said:
Both the Hawks and the skins had a easy schedule difficuly. You guys had more impressive victories with wins agaisnt the 49ers and Patriots, but your team also lost 4 games agaisnt teams with records below .500. The Skins had two such losses, both agaisnt 7-9 teams (Rams were 7-8-1). You lost to a 5-11 team, and a 4-12 team. Those are facts.

Football Outsiders rank the Seahawks schedule as the 4th toughest in the NFL. The Redskins schedule was ranked 15th toughest. So neither one of the teams had an easy schedule, but the Seahawks definitely had a tougher road.

The Redskins winning streak included two wins over the Nick Foles Eagles, one over the Brandon Weeden Browns and two over the Tony Romo Cowboys. It leads to a bit of skepticism as to what level your team is truly at right now. Please do not count the Cowboys as a good team. There is a reason that every single Seahawk fan was rooting for the Cowboys to beat you guys in the finale. The 'Skins have game while the Cowboys have become akin to a boy band for Jerry Jones. All pizazz and marketing...no talent, no substance.

The Seahawks defense had 4th quarter lapses against the Dolphins and Lions as those were the only two teams to score at or above their season average against the Seahawks. A playoff lapse is very unlikely. For example, when the 49ers don't play the Seahawks they average what the Redskins average (27). Against the Seahawks they scored 13 points each time. Which is exactly what I predict for your Redskins. ;)

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":3snc2lpe said:
rdskns4eva":3snc2lpe said:
Both the Hawks and the skins had a easy schedule difficuly. You guys had more impressive victories with wins agaisnt the 49ers and Patriots, but your team also lost 4 games agaisnt teams with records below .500. The Skins had two such losses, both agaisnt 7-9 teams (Rams were 7-8-1). You lost to a 5-11 team, and a 4-12 team. Those are facts.

Football Outsiders rank the Seahawks schedule as the 4th toughest in the NFL. The Redskins schedule was ranked 15th toughest. So neither one of the teams had an easy schedule, but the Seahawks definitely had a tougher road.

The Redskins winning streak included two wins over the Nick Foles Eagles, one over the Brandon Weeden Browns and two over the Tony Romo Cowboys. It leads to a bit of skepticism as to what level your team is truly at right now. Please do not count the Cowboys as a good team. There is a reason that every single Seahawk fan was rooting for the Cowboys to beat you guys in the finale. The 'Skins have game while the Cowboys have really become akin to a boy band for Jerry Jones. All pizazz and marketing...no talent, no substance.

The Seahawks defense had 4th quarter lapses against the Dolphins and Lions as those were the only two teams to score above their season average against the Seahawks. A playoff lapse is very unlikely. When the 49ers don't play the Seahawks they average what the Redskins average. Against the Seahawks they scored 13 points each time. Which is exactly what I predict for your Redskins. ;)

Going into the 05 playoffs the argument was reversed...Skins had by far the tougher schedule and the Seahawks had a number of less highly-ranked opponents. Hey, if that means the result of the playoff game between the Seahawks and Redskins will be reversed as well - I'm fine with that. :D